ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th July 2019, 12:53 PM   #1
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Largest drug bust in United States history; over 1.3 billion in cocaine seized.

Quote:
New York (CNN Business) US authorities in Philadelphia seized a cargo vessel in June with nearly 20 tons of cocaine on board. The ship, as it turns out, is owned by a fund run by banking giant JPMorgan Chase.

A source close to the situation said on Wednesday that the ship, the MSC Gayane, is part of a transportation strategy fund run for the bank's asset management unit.

That means JPMorgan Chase (JPM) does not have any operational control of the vessel, a Liberian-flagged ship that is run by the Swiss-based Mediterranean Shipping Company. The bank had no comment.
CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/10/busin...ure/index.html
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Too big to fail!

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 12:56 PM   #3
Venom
Master Poster

The rabid anti-corporatists in my Facebook group are losing their minds over this.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 12:58 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Once again, not coming over any wall.

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
The rabid anti-corporatists in my Facebook group are losing their minds over this.
Why?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th July 2019 at 12:59 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:02 PM   #5
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Hello, JP Morgan how can I help you today?"
"Yes this is the US Government, we found one of your ships today. Had cocaine on it. I mean like a lot of cocaine."
"Okay... and?"
"Well we have some issues with this."
"Listen don't worry, we're JP Morgan, we know how to transport cocaine!"
"Okay that's the problem. We 'don't' want you to transport cocaine."
"Oh now you're telling us how to run our business."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:20 PM   #6
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Hello, JP Morgan how can I help you today?"
"Yes this is the US Government, we found one of your ships today. Had cocaine on it. I mean like a lot of cocaine."
"Okay... and?"
"Well we have some issues with this."
"Listen don't worry, we're JP Morgan, we know how to transport cocaine!"
"Okay that's the problem. We 'don't' want you to transport cocaine."
"Oh now you're telling us how to run our business."
They seize your car if you come across the border with illegal drugs. They should seize this ship.

Fortunately, they did:
Quote:
At the time, just the drugs were seized by the United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency. But the US Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania announced on Monday that it had issued a warrant on July 4 that allowed the CBP to take custody of the ship itself as well.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 11th July 2019 at 01:22 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:21 PM   #7
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They seize your car if you come across the border with illegal drugs. They should seize this ship.
If you're private citizens that can just take whatever they want from you just because they felt like it.

But this is JP Morgan, the bank so big it literally bailed out the US Government at one point.
Old 11th July 2019, 01:25 PM   #8
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

$1.3B @$50/gram = 26,000 kg, about 30 tons. One container full?

They only ship it in container loads because the expect to get away with it. You've got to bet big to win big.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:29 PM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

If I would have known it was that kind of party...

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:54 PM   #10
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Is this how they make Donny's "salary payments" happen outside of global finance controls?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 01:58 PM   #11
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If you're private citizens that can just take whatever they want from you just because they felt like it.

But this is JP Morgan, the bank so big it literally bailed out the US Government at one point.
Yeah, but didn't we pay that favor back a few years ago?
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 02:25 PM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure what JP Morgan is supposed to have to do with any of this. The stuff was in a shipping container. Manifests and bills of lading were likely forged at some point, allowing this container to be transshipped without question by the various carriers along its route.

JP Morgan only cares that the ship is working, and they're getting a piece of the action. The actual operator only cares that the containers they're moving have the same serial numbers and routing instructions as the containers on their paperwork. It's the shippers, and the customs officials, that care about the contents of the containers themselves.

JP Morgan has no responsibility to check the contents of the containers on its ships - nor should they have. At best, they should be a footnote to this story, not the main topic of discussion.

---

ETA: I mean, the really interesting question here is, how did a shipping container full of cocaine get into the global logistics system, and what does this say about the security controls and auditing/inspection procedures currently in place?

And whatever the answer to that question, it's almost certainly nothing to do with any act or omission by JP Morgan.

It's also weird that US authorities seized the entire ship, rather than just the offending container. The operator, MSC, says that the rest of the cargo has been sent along on other ships, so it seems really weird to keep this one.

Just like it seems weird that CNN is leading with the JP Morgan connection, rather than the MSC connection. If anything, it's gaps in MSC's processes that allowed this bogus container to transit their system. It's almost like, regardless of what actually happened, the first impression CNN wants you to have is "JP Morgan bad".

---

Interestingly, MSC claims the container was destined for Europe anyway. But if the documentation was being forged for this container, then MSC may not actually be able to say where it came from or where it's actually going.

Last edited by theprestige; 11th July 2019 at 02:33 PM.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 02:42 PM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Memo to Trump:

This was not at the Mexican border, it was at a port of entry in Philadelphia

Go build a was around Pennsylvania!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 02:43 PM   #14
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

If we build walls along the entire coast then Trump won't be offended by off-shore windmills any longer.

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 02:45 PM   #15
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm not sure what JP Morgan is supposed to have to do with any of this. The stuff was in a shipping container. Manifests and bills of lading were likely forged at some point, allowing this container to be transshipped without question by the various carriers along its route.

JP Morgan only cares that the ship is working, and they're getting a piece of the action. The actual operator only cares that the containers they're moving have the same serial numbers and routing instructions as the containers on their paperwork. It's the shippers, and the customs officials, that care about the contents of the containers themselves.

JP Morgan has no responsibility to check the contents of the containers on its ships - nor should they have. At best, they should be a footnote to this story, not the main topic of discussion.

---

ETA: I mean, the really interesting question here is, how did a shipping container full of cocaine get into the global logistics system, and what does this say about the security controls and auditing/inspection procedures currently in place?

And whatever the answer to that question, it's almost certainly nothing to do with any act or omission by JP Morgan.

It's also weird that US authorities seized the entire ship, rather than just the offending container. The operator, MSC, says that the rest of the cargo has been sent along on other ships, so it seems really weird to keep this one.

Just like it seems weird that CNN is leading with the JP Morgan connection, rather than the MSC connection. If anything, it's gaps in MSC's processes that allowed this bogus container to transit their system. It's almost like, regardless of what actually happened, the first impression CNN wants you to have is "JP Morgan bad".

---

Interestingly, MSC claims the container was destined for Europe anyway. But if the documentation was being forged for this container, then MSC may not actually be able to say where it came from or where it's actually going.
Yeah, this is like attacking Greyhound Lines because a passenger on one of the buses is found to have drugs on them.

Seizing the ship might be for forensic reasons. Are they holding the crew as well?
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 03:00 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yeah, this is like attacking Greyhound Lines because a passenger on one of the buses is found to have drugs on them.
Yep! In fact, it's even worse than that. JPM bought a cargo ship as an investment, and then gave it to MSC so it could be put to work earning money.

So it'd be like attacking Warren Buffett for buying a bus and leasing it to Greyhound, because Greyhound doesn't search all its passengers before letting them board.

Quote:
Seizing the ship might be for forensic reasons. Are they holding the crew as well?
Forensic reasons crossed my mind, too. But from what little I know about containerized shipping, there's going to be nothing of forensic interest on the ship, about this container.

A truck rolls up, towing a container. A crane lifts the container onto a railroad car. The train takes the car across country to the port, where another crane lifts the container onto another truck, which then takes it to the dock. There, another crane lifts the container onto a stack of similar containers, among dozens of similar stacks, and the ship sets out for its next port of call. Assuming the container is traveling with forged documents to ensure proper routing and avoid customs inspections, the only forensic evidence they'll find on the ship is evidence of how container shipping works.

Which they should probably already know.

I suppose one possibility is that some of the ship's crew were complicit in the forgery, or were paid off to overlook discrepancies in the paperwork. Maybe "seizing the ship" is enforcement procedure for detaining the crew. I dunno. It all seems badly reported by CNN.

Which shouldn't be a surprise. CNN not being our friend and all.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 03:28 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Memo to Trump:

The big time drug cartels have never depeneded much on cross border shipments. They have the money to find other ways.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 07:15 PM   #18
mgidm86
Philosopher

Memo to Trump:

Pffft. Barely a drop in the bucket...

https://drugabuse.com/featured/drug-...cross-borders/

2012 - 2015

Drugs seized at southern border = 1,555,552 pounds, or about 7,500 tons.
North, east and west borders combined = 9,000 pounds, or 4.5 tons.

They have tunnels and trucks here so you don't get as many per bust, but they come in constantly.
Old 11th July 2019, 07:23 PM   #19
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

2012 - 2015

They have tunnels and trucks here so you don't get as many per bust, but they come in constantly.
That's amounts of drugs SEIZED. Is that an indicator of how much is actually coming in via those routes? Or just how much attention and publicity is being focused on them.

This was approximately a container-load of coke. A whopping amount. Who's to say other containers arriving via that same route have not been stopped previously because of lack of paying attention in the right places?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 07:25 PM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
That's amounts of drugs SEIZED. Is that an indicator of how much is actually coming in via those routes? Or just how much attention and publicity is being focused on them.

This was approximately a container-load of coke. A whopping amount. Who's to say other containers arriving via that same route have not been stopped previously because of lack of paying attention in the right places?
Hell, who's to say what other contraband is moving around the same way?

Quick! Ask JP Morgan! This is all their fault somehow, I know it.
Old 11th July 2019, 07:27 PM   #21
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The big time drug cartels have never depeneded much on cross border shipments. They have the money to find other ways.
They would definitely not be above shopping their smaller rivals in the SW to act as a distraction, if they are shipping by the container-load in via the NE.
Old 11th July 2019, 08:18 PM   #22
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

2012 - 2015

Yes, but do you realize that the drugs you are listing as being seized at the US-Mexico border were seized at the 330 ports of entry along the whole length of that border?

Let me explain this to you...... again!

A BORDER WALL WILL NOT STOP DRUG DEALERS TRYING TO GET DRUGS THROUGH THOSE PORTS OF ENTRY!!!!!

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th July 2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11th July 2019, 09:26 PM   #23
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

I guess the CIA budget is gonna get cut next year. By about 1.3 billion.

Last edited by Lambchops; 11th July 2019 at 09:27 PM.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 09:39 PM   #24
Senex
Philosopher

Crap, this is going to affect this year's dividend I bet.

I'm going back to investing in tobacco and whatever Walter White and Jesse Pinkman are selling now.
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th July 2019, 10:01 PM   #25
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Shows how worthless making certain drugs illegal is. If someone can finance this and think they will make a profit then there must be huge quantities coming into the country. In other words send 20 containers just like this one to a country and if one or two get seized then that is ok.

Either the price of cocaine will go up a lot or I am right.
Old 11th July 2019, 10:28 PM   #26
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Yep! In fact, it's even worse than that. JPM bought a cargo ship as an investment, and then gave it to MSC so it could be put to work earning money.

So it'd be like attacking Warren Buffett for buying a bus and leasing it to Greyhound, because Greyhound doesn't search all its passengers before letting them board.

Forensic reasons crossed my mind, too. But from what little I know about containerized shipping, there's going to be nothing of forensic interest on the ship, about this container.

A truck rolls up, towing a container. A crane lifts the container onto a railroad car. The train takes the car across country to the port, where another crane lifts the container onto another truck, which then takes it to the dock. There, another crane lifts the container onto a stack of similar containers, among dozens of similar stacks, and the ship sets out for its next port of call. Assuming the container is traveling with forged documents to ensure proper routing and avoid customs inspections, the only forensic evidence they'll find on the ship is evidence of how container shipping works.

Which they should probably already know.

I suppose one possibility is that some of the ship's crew were complicit in the forgery, or were paid off to overlook discrepancies in the paperwork. Maybe "seizing the ship" is enforcement procedure for detaining the crew. I dunno. It all seems badly reported by CNN.

Which shouldn't be a surprise. CNN not being our friend and all.

Here's a better, more accurate report

https://gcaptain.com/us-authorities-...ord-drug-bust/

"Several crew members have been arrested in connection to the drugs, which were allegedly loaded during from small boats at sea."
Old 11th July 2019, 10:58 PM   #27
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

"Several crew members have been arrested in connection to the drugs, which were allegedly loaded during from small boats at sea."
30 tonnes was loaded from small boats at sea while the captain was unaware???!
Old 12th July 2019, 06:39 AM   #28
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I just want to mention that, from the chemist perspective, 20 tons of reasonably pure compound is a pretty darn hefty manufacturing chore. That's a serious operation. This isn't random people buying up all the Sudofed in town and making meth in their garage.
Old 12th July 2019, 08:26 AM   #29
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Quick! Ask JP Morgan! This is all their fault somehow, I know it.
Surely they'll just explain it was for personal use.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 08:35 AM   #30
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

30 tonnes was loaded from small boats at sea while the captain was unaware???!
Who said the captain was unaware?
Old 12th July 2019, 09:11 AM   #31
3point14
Pi

I'll jsut leave this here:

https://cdn.theatlantic.com/media/ol...-addiction.gif

Imagine the tax take on that much coke!

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 09:11 AM   #32
xjx388
Philosopher

I cannot imagine that this is a unique occurrence. I’d bet this is how most cocaine and other drugs ends up being distributed. Who is going to inspect every single container in every port or container ship? Who is going to patrol international waters to stop people from loading drugs onto a ship en route?

Just look at how much drugs are seized at the border at points of entry. Mostly these are in semis, hidden among legitimate cargo. Sometimes, they are in passenger vehicles.

For every one of those vehicles/ships they catch, how many get through? The wide availability of drugs in the US would suggest that number is quite high. I mean if it wasn’t working, the drug dealers would find another way to deliver.

The only way this works is for shipping companies and government employees to be in cahoots with the drug dealers.
Old 12th July 2019, 10:45 AM   #33
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Good thing it wasn't a thermonuclear nuclear device
Old 12th July 2019, 10:48 AM   #34
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

2012 - 2015

One poster has calculated and the articles have confirmed that this one bust may be larger than all of those seizures combined. I'm not sure the calculation or reporting is accurate, but if they are in the ballpark that sort of changes the narrative a bit, no?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 12th July 2019 at 11:31 AM. Reason: In light of carlitos's post on the weight reported in articles.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 10:51 AM   #35
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Good thing it wasn't a thermonuclear nuclear device
Or a thermo thermonuclear nuclear device!
Old 12th July 2019, 11:01 AM   #36
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
If I would have known it was that kind of party...
We should have a poll to ask "should everybody dicks his own potatoes."

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
$1.3B @$50/gram = 26,000 kg, about 30 tons. One container full?

They only ship it in container loads because the expect to get away with it. You've got to bet big to win big.
The articles all said 16.5 tons - that $50 / gram stuff is evidently cut by 50% with bug powder and baking soda.

If cops are going to seize the Chevy Malibu of every hapless idiot with a roach in their ashtray, then for consistency we might as well seize JP Morgan's cargo ships.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 11:53 AM   #37
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
We should have a poll to ask "should everybody dicks his own potatoes."
It would make an awesome Planet X option.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 01:39 PM   #38
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

They would definitely not be above shopping their smaller rivals in the SW to act as a distraction, if they are shipping by the container-load in via the NE.
I would not be surprised if quite a bit of coke comes in through West Coast ports as well.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2019, 01:43 PM   #39
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, but do you realize that the drugs you are listing as being seized at the US-Mexico border were seized at the 330 ports of entry along the whole length of that border?

Let me explain this to you...... again!

A BORDER WALL WILL NOT STOP DRUG DEALERS TRYING TO GET DRUGS THROUGH THOSE PORTS OF ENTRY!!!!!
And the big time operations wuld not even try to sneak stuff over the land border if no other reason then it's hopelessly inefficient from a business point of view.
BTW just read that the FBI and the Bureau of Narctoics strongly believer that the Mexican Cartels pretty much have a agreement for distribution with a Certain Italian American Fraternal Organzation....of whom the Man In the White House has also been often accused of having dealings....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th July 2019, 01:45 PM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty much the same way the off shore "Rum Row" operated during Prohibition....

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events