ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Should Harry and Meghan abdicate?
Yes, stripped of titles including HRH and public funding/protection 9 25.71%
Yes but keeping titles incl HRH, public funding, protection and Frogmore Cottage 2 5.71%
No, Harry cannot give up his British citizenship and Archie belongs to the Queen 3 8.57%
Who? 21 60.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #641
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Watched an episode of "Who do you think you are" on Matthew Pinsett (sp?) Ages ago.

His family tree was traced to William the conquerer and then another one old as to Adam and Eve and god.

It was kind of done in a humorous it's a bit bollocks way which was quite funny
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM   #642
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I read that "Sussex Royal" won't be allowed as a brand. The article didn't say whether the court ruling was specifically because they were stepping down as "senior royals", or some other reason.

That train of thought led me to a question I have for the Brits here, and it concerns "coats of arms". I hope that it isn't stretching the topic too far to ask about other medievalisms in modern Britain. I know that British nobility does have coats of arms, and uses them in places like those various churches that are home bases for the Garter or the Bath or what have you. (I don't know how many other orders there are, assuming there are any.)

Are there any rules/laws about displaying coats of arms by commoners? Over here in America we can make up anything we like and unless it's a trademark infringement, display it wherever we care to. I have been told that in Britain, that's not the case. Is that true? Are there still laws about who can display heraldry, or how? And if so, are they ever enforced?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:46 AM   #643
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I read that "Sussex Royal" won't be allowed as a brand. The article didn't say whether the court ruling was specifically because they were stepping down as "senior royals", or some other reason.

That train of thought led me to a question I have for the Brits here, and it concerns "coats of arms". I hope that it isn't stretching the topic too far to ask about other medievalisms in modern Britain. I know that British nobility does have coats of arms, and uses them in places like those various churches that are home bases for the Garter or the Bath or what have you. (I don't know how many other orders there are, assuming there are any.)

Are there any rules/laws about displaying coats of arms by commoners? Over here in America we can make up anything we like and unless it's a trademark infringement, display it wherever we care to. I have been told that in Britain, that's not the case. Is that true? Are there still laws about who can display heraldry, or how? And if so, are they ever enforced?
Your article was wrong. They had put in a trademark application, someone objected, which wouldn't have meant it wouldn't have been granted only that additional steps would come into play, the person who objected has subsequently withdrawn their objection. It is unlikely they will not be granted their requested trademark.
Old Today, 12:56 AM   #644
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

While no one said a word when Kate trademarked her new position.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 01:00 AM   #645
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

My late father-in-law was appointed High Sheriff (a ceremonial thing) of the county of Newport, S Wales, and needed a coat of arms. He consulted some heraldry dudes and they invented one. Unrelated to that, for fun, our son once investigated our family surname and paid some company or other on the internet to produce a presentation display. This included a proposed coat of arms and family motto. I can think of no legal reason why we shouldn't put that coat of arms on our headed notepaper

eta: The date on this thing suggests it as my Dad who had it done.
Blazon of arms: Gules a chevron ermine between three garbs or.
Motto: Ipse amicus (He is a friend)

Last edited by GlennB; Today at 01:41 AM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:28 AM   #646
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

There is an official body that can grant arms, in otherwords pay the government a few thousand and you can act all posh with an "official" crest, badge etc.

But there is nothing at all stopping anyone from creating any nonsense they like as a "court of arms" apart from the usual issues of using it to pass off, trademark and copyright infringements and so on.
Old Today, 05:17 AM   #647
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

At the end of the day it is simply what we today would call a 'logo'.

My great-grandparents and everybody around here had their own 'woodmark' (rather like a rune) - ours looked like a fancy 'H' - which was used to mark property, such as furniture and farm utensils and even when signing land deeds. Some think this is the same as marking your signature with a 'X' but this is incorrect, as they were not at all illiterate and each had their own mark.

A coat of arms was merely the nobles copying the King as wars were usually fought going into battle bearing the 'standard' (a flag with the King's CoA). This then became a great art with rules about colours, shapes and symbols, as everybody scrabbled to get a CoA of their own.

Keeping up with the Joneses.
Old Today, 05:23 AM   #648
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks to those who answered the heraldry question. I assumed that by now there was no real issue about displaying a coat of arms, even if it wasn't registered, but, one hears things, so I asked.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events