ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , church scandals , George Pell , roman catholic church , sex scandals

Old 9th March 2019, 02:35 PM   #1281
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
You presume that mere facts and evidence will change the minds of the apologists for the rapist Pell.

I guess that is too much to ask.
Old 9th March 2019, 03:16 PM   #1282
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
And the inaction of the others, laity, church hierarchy and secular authorities......
Yup. And having been that soldier, I know what went on. To my shame, at the time "I went rather him than me". I was left mostly alone because they quickly identified that I was likely to raise a ruckus. Others? Not so much.

It is something of which I am not proud. Devil take the hindmost was a de riguer position and what is one to do when one is a kid? Self preservation was the order of the day.

A couple of my former classmates suicided over it. Decades later I still think I should have stepped up. But I had not, in those days, any means to do so.

Mé féin agus tada eile.

That's just how it was. Those were the facts on the ground at the time.

...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 9th March 2019 at 03:17 PM.
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2019, 03:54 PM   #1283
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Yup. And having been that soldier, I know what went on. To my shame, at the time "I went rather him than me". I was left mostly alone because they quickly identified that I was likely to raise a ruckus. Others? Not so much.

It is something of which I am not proud. Devil take the hindmost was a de riguer position and what is one to do when one is a kid? Self preservation was the order of the day.

A couple of my former classmates suicided over it. Decades later I still think I should have stepped up. But I had not, in those days, any means to do so.

Mé féin agus tada eile.

I think you could take comfort in the fact that you would not be believed anyway and told to **** off. This was Pell's reaction when Ridsdale tried to tell him about his uncle not that many years ago.
Old 10th March 2019, 03:09 AM   #1284
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
The 4 Corners presentation on the conviction of Pell is worth looking at. Not only showing material specifically about the molestation of the two 13 year old boys that he was convicted of but other incidents also. So many people telling the same story about the conduct of this vile deviant. A damning indictment.

This is a must watch for those who still think Pell is worthy of respect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHBAyP2wjic
Shocking. Terrifying.

Has The Nimble Pianist watched it yet?
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 04:14 AM   #1285
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

Mé féin agus tada eile.

Who knows what would have happened to you if you had tried to do something, you have nothing to be ashamed of
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2019, 08:13 AM   #1286
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Who knows what would have happened to you if you had tried to do something, you have nothing to be ashamed of
I could have done something. I didn't because I simply had not the confidence that comes with maturity.

I should have. People are dead because I didn't out of pure survival instinct. It was really creepy. As schoolkids we quickly identified the soft targets and distanced ourselves from that crap. We all knew what was going on and we all knew that we wanted to be a million miles from it. Once the target was selected, the rule was "Don't walk, sprint".

I am often minded of the antelope or wildebeest in the Serengetti. The lions take the easy target at the back of the herd. That's how it worked and we all knew it.

I wish that child me had the bottle to step up to the mark. I didn't. I cannot go back and erase that, it just isn't physically possible no matter how much I wish it were so.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2019, 02:02 PM   #1287
Thor 2
Illuminator

I could have done something. I didn't because I simply had not the confidence that comes with maturity.

I should have. People are dead because I didn't out of pure survival instinct. It was really creepy. As schoolkids we quickly identified the soft targets and distanced ourselves from that crap. We all knew what was going on and we all knew that we wanted to be a million miles from it. Once the target was selected, the rule was "Don't walk, sprint".

I am often minded of the antelope or wildebeest in the Serengetti. The lions take the easy target at the back of the herd. That's how it worked and we all knew it.

I wish that child me had the bottle to step up to the mark. I didn't. I cannot go back and erase that, it just isn't physically possible no matter how much I wish it were so.

Having given this some thought I think you are being too hard on yourself.

I feel confident that when you were a child, you had no idea of the psychological harm being done to those victims. You may have thought it uncomfortable for them I would think, but not much more.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think it is only now, you realise the enormity of the vile assault that was done. This could possibly be said in defence of those that covered up, and even abused children in the distant past.

The more modern day perpetrators and concealers such as Pell, cannot hide behind this veil however. They knew the harm they were doing when they did it. Throw the book at them.

Last edited by Thor 2; 11th March 2019 at 02:45 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 05:13 PM   #1288
Thor 2
Illuminator

Breaking News!

Pell is sentenced to 6 years jail with a non parol period of 3 years and 8 months.
Old 12th March 2019, 05:41 PM   #1289
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Is that the going rate in Australia for his crime in Australia? I know most industrialized nations don't have the lock em' up throw away the key sentencing guidelines the US has but this seems light.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2019, 05:55 PM   #1290
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Is that the going rate in Australia for his crime in Australia? I know most industrialized nations don't have the lock em' up throw away the key sentencing guidelines the US has but this seems light.
As lionking has pointed out in the dedicated thread, Pell's age and the fact that he would probably die in jail was taken into account. The maximum sentence that he could have got under Australian law is 10 years for each of the two counts, for a total of twenty, which would obviously exceed his expected lifespan.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 01:37 AM   #1291
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

It's the devil made them do it

https://www.buckinghamtoday.co.uk/ne...mpression=true
Old 19th March 2019, 03:08 PM   #1292
Thor 2
Illuminator

More meaningless bleating from Catholic clergy and the same old do nothing action.

From Filippo's article:

Quote:
Stephen Evans, CEO of The National Secular Society which campaigns for equal respect for everyone's human rights, so no one is either advantaged or disadvantaged because of their beliefs, said of this statement:
“Rather than more meaningless words from the Church we need to see concrete action that will help bring the guilty to secular justice and recompense to victims. Most notably we need to see the introduction of mandatory reporting of institutional abuse, including that disclosed in the confessional. Regrettably, the church remains opposed to such measures.”

And now we are hearing a politician drawing on the Christchurch massacre, as ammunition against pushing the Catholic Church, on the mandatory reporting issue. There are no depths to which politicians will not go.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03-...-laws/10917960

Quote:
A Canberra politician has invoked the Christchurch shootings, in which 50 people were killed, to argue against a bill reforming child sex abuse laws.

On Tuesday afternoon Liberal MLA Giulia Jones said the bill — which would make it mandatory for Catholic priests to report child abuse disclosed in confession — was targeting people of faith.

Last edited by Thor 2; 19th March 2019 at 03:09 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 03:11 PM   #1293
ynot
Philosopher

Breaking News!

Pell is sentenced to 6 years jail with a non parol period of 3 years and 8 months.
Slapped with a wet bus ticket.
ynot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2019, 05:24 PM   #1294
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

And now we are hearing a politician drawing on the Christchurch massacre, as ammunition against pushing the Catholic Church, on the mandatory reporting issue. There are no depths to which politicians will not go.

Of course, the Liberals haven't been in charge in Canberra since 2001.
Old 19th March 2019, 10:51 PM   #1295
Filippo Lippi
Master Poster

More meaningless bleating from Catholic clergy and the same old do nothing action.

From Filippo's article:

It's breathtaking how the pope can look at all these inter-related incidents, and the systematic covering up, and have the gall to say, "yep, it's the devil"
Old 19th March 2019, 11:10 PM   #1296
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I don't see why it should be particularly surprising. Satan is a standard part of Catholic doctrine.
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #1297
Thor 2
Illuminator

It's breathtaking how the pope can look at all these inter-related incidents, and the systematic covering up, and have the gall to say, "yep, it's the devil"

It's a wonder The Pope doesn't do something positive about this then and get some exorcisms happening. They could start with Pell if the stuff they needed can get past security in the prison. A few rosaries and crucifixes shouldn't trigger any alarms, although holy water can be explosive when it contacts demons, as we all know.

Back to the silly polly, Ms Jones, who's remarks triggered the above article, she said - "the point is that legislation should be done in a way that does not single out people because of their religion".

So there you have it. Atheists can't insist Catholics report on confession content if they don't report on their own. Can't be fairer than that can we? No more concealment of atheist admissions given under the sanctity of confession.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy