ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th June 2020, 03:51 PM   #121
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
At least he isn't an Illinois nazi.
I hate Illinois nazis.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 04:03 PM   #122
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You thought wrong

Yes

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z9j2ivh642...ower.jpg?raw=1

White supremacists ARE cliche and tropey (and ignorant, and stupid)

Really?

Why couldn't they sell it buy beer and guns? Or use it for target practice?

That's what white supremacists are... over the top (and cliche, and tropey, and ignorant, and stupid)

A fool and his money......

...and Trump!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/14/u...-congress.html
That's Daniel Radcliffe in your photo there dude - I'm gonna assume it's from a film
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 05:04 PM   #123
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
“White power”. I thought this phrase was antiquated. Are white supremacists still using it? Seems cliche and trope-y.
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
White supremacists themselves are indeed cliche and trope-y.

And I'm not sure what ever gave you the impression that "white power" as a racist slogan was antiquated or out of use; white supremacists still commonly use slogans from the 1930's. In the original German, sometimes, even.
Just revisiting this to point out that two days ago the president of the United States posted a video on Twitter of his supporters, one of whom yelled "white power" just after the beginning of the video.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 10:17 PM   #124
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
That's Daniel Radcliffe in your photo there dude - I'm gonna assume it's from a film
Yup. Its from a movie called "Imperium" which is about, err, let me see. What was it again? Oh yes, that's right.... White supremacists!

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 11:02 PM   #125
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Yup. Its from a movie called "Imperium" which is about, err, let me see. What was it again? Oh yes, that's right.... White supremacists!
If the question was whether real white supremacists were using that term I don't understand why you've used a still from a film?
Manger Douse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:07 AM   #126
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
If the question was whether real white supremacists were using that term I don't understand why you've used a still from a film?
They do regardless, as Checkmite pointed out, but you know, never mind. You were right, I should have spent an extra few seconds and picked a better example.

Congratulations, you win the interwebz

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:35 AM   #127
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

They do regardless, as Checkmite pointed out, but you know, never mind. You were right, I should have spent an extra few seconds and picked a better example.

Congratulations, you win the interwebz
I tried to make light about your innocent mistake and got a snarky roll eyes reply for my trouble. Think about that for me will you
Old 5th July 2020, 06:02 PM   #128
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

7 men from Washington state were arrested in Oregon after complaints that they were harassing a black family with racial slurs and Nazi salutes. When police arrived, the group were shooting off large, illegal fireworks and began trying to surround the police and goad them into a fight. More police arrived and seven of the men were taken into custody. They were hit with a slew of charges including rioting, harassment, and resisting arrest.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events