IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags criss angel , jim callahan

Old 31st October 2007, 06:34 PM   #1
shalomsteph
Critical Thinker

Chris Angell just kicked ass on "Phenomenon"

Wow, he said the "psychic" Jim Callahan was a joke and offered him a million dollars of his own money (and Uri as well) if either of them could tell him what he wrote on some cards. Some was silenced out (Live television and all) and the psychic got physical with Criss.

He redeemed himself!!

Last edited by shalomsteph; 31st October 2007 at 06:41 PM.
shalomsteph is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 06:38 PM   #2
mbuehner
Student

It was outstanding. Angel deserves my apology, i was really miffed when I saw he was on this show, but he is totally playing it straight. He denied dousing and then he just called out those two frauds in front of America on live TV. And he almost kicked Callahan's ass.
mbuehner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 06:38 PM   #3
Aston14
New Blood

I know! I had just switched to the channel to see what idiotic trick they would be doing. This gave me the goosebumps, I was really happy to see Criss doing that.
Now what will become of this on the show I wonder? He called Geller out too...
Aston14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

That was awesome!! "Don't start talking about energies or anything, just tell me what's in the envelope."

There's no way the show will have a better moment than that one. Even now you can tell how uncomfortable Uri is sitting next to Angel after getting called out.
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."
-lapman describing every twoofer on the internet
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 06:41 PM   #5
panamajoe
New Blood

I came here as fast as I could to see if I could start a post about Criss Angel's calling out the Fakers, Jim Callahan and Uri Geller. How cool was that! Is ure hope we don;t find out it was a set up.
Old 31st October 2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by panamajoe View Post
I sure hope we don;t find out it was a set up.
No way, Callahan broke character too fast. He was stunned he was getting called out for his bullstuff (they went silent as Angel was calling it the real word) after just getting stroked by Uri.

eta: How come no one called out the first magician over his "tattoo" smearing?
"You post a lie, it is proven 100% false, you move the goalposts and post yet another lie and it continues on around till we're back to the original lie as if it will somehow become true if it's re-iterated again. The same misquotes over and over again. The same hindsight bias, appeals to authority, etc."

Last edited by Drudgewire; 31st October 2007 at 06:47 PM.
Drudgewire is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Aston14
New Blood

I don't think so PanamaJoe, they had to cut out some of the audio, Criss and that "psychic" nearly came to blows, the host seemed scared crapless, and they cut waayy early to a commercial. Plus I don't think the producers would like Angel calling out his partner in judging Geller.
Aston14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Normal Dude
Space Shuttle Door Gunner

Dangit, I missed it! Did it just happen? I will have to catch it on Youtube.

Criss Angel is back in my good book.

And I dont care if your name is Norm or Jack, Or Dick. I dont see why you have to post your name everytime you make a comment./ its IRRELIVANT -Rwalsh
Normal Dude is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 06:58 PM   #9
mbuehner
Student

Angell busts out his own million dollar challenge on live tv. Outstanding.
mbuehner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 07:00 PM   #10
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

For those of you that didn't see it, Jim Callahan's act involved being temporarily possessed (with appropriate writhing and groaning) by a disembodied spirit, who communicated via "automatic writing" (i.e., the spirit using Jim's hand) the contents of a sealed chest. This he did correctly, and the spirit connection was subsequently "broken". After the performance, the host asked Geller for comment, and Geller was impressed (as usual). Then he asked Criss, who referred to the performance as "comical", then producing an envelope and offering a million dollars of his own money to Callahan and Geller if they could deduce its contents. Criss said "I don't want to hear about 'energy' or anything like that". Jim Callahan started objecting loudly and looked like he was about to lunge at Angel; the two were physically pulled apart and the program cut to commercial.

Earlier in the program, Geller made a joke about a magician (who used a pendulum to deduce the location of a target object) going into the oil-finding business; subsequently Angel made a retort that people "can't find water or oil by with divining rods or whatever".
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 07:06 PM   #11
shalomsteph
Critical Thinker

Methinks Criss has had enough of this "Phenomenon" silliness. The true mentalists, especially the young woman, were impressive. That's why I like the show. The psychic made me throw up in my mouth a little. He misspelled "wheels" and everything.

NBC has the show for free on NBC.com. It should post tomorrow or Friday, but I don't know if this part will be included. I wish I had DVR'ed it!

Last edited by shalomsteph; 31st October 2007 at 07:09 PM.
shalomsteph is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 07:09 PM   #12
Rodney
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Joshua Korosi View Post
For those of you that didn't see it, Jim Callahan's act involved being temporarily possessed (with appropriate writhing and groaning) by a disembodied spirit, who communicated via "automatic writing" (i.e., the spirit using Jim's hand) the contents of a sealed chest. This he did correctly, and the spirit connection was subsequently "broken". After the performance, the host asked Geller for comment, and Geller was impressed (as usual). Then he asked Criss, who referred to the performance as "comical", then producing an envelope and offering a million dollars of his own money to Callahan and Geller if they could deduce its contents. Criss said "I don't want to hear about 'energy' or anything like that". Jim Callahan started objecting loudly and looked like he was about to lunge at Angel; the two were physically pulled apart and the program cut to commercial.

Earlier in the program, Geller made a joke about a magician (who used a pendulum to deduce the location of a target object) going into the oil-finding business; subsequently Angel made a retort that people "can't find water or oil by with divining rods or whatever".
So Angel is a hero because he calls out automatic writing, but not the rest of the fraudulent nonsense on the show? "Phenomenon" is an embarrassment, but that seems to be okay with Angel as long as the "mentalists" on the show employ the same small cast of stooges who don't pretend to be communing with the dead.
Rodney is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 07:11 PM   #13
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The rest of the contestants are claiming to be magicians, "performers", and expert readers of body language. Jim Callahan was the first and so far only contestant to claim paranormal powers. That's why he was singled out by Criss.

Last edited by Checkmite; 31st October 2007 at 07:14 PM.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 07:14 PM   #14
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
So Angel is a hero because he calls out automatic writing, but not the rest of the fraudulent nonsense on the show? "Phenomenon" is an embarrassment, but that seems to be okay with Angel as long as the "mentalists" on the show employ the same small cast of stooges who don't pretend to be communing with the dead.
Well, yeah. In fact at the end of the next act he asks the guy "you're not claiming to have psychic abilities, are you?" and when the dude says no Angel tells him "then I like it a lot more than the last act."

And he didn't bash the act for the automatic writing, he bashed it for the embarrassing "possession" nonsense Callahan pulled, then justified by saying "I'm a skeptic too, everyone should be able to make up their own minds."
Old 31st October 2007, 07:14 PM   #15
shalomsteph
Critical Thinker

Rodney, have you seen the show? No one claims to have supernatural powers. The last one tonight did something very similar to a trick that I saw Penn & Teller do in Vegas. They are mentalists and magicians, and some are pretty good.

The tattoo smear guy pretty much said how he did it, with the subliminal messages, ying-yang table, etc.

Last edited by shalomsteph; 31st October 2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 31st October 2007, 07:15 PM   #16
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

After the first show I couldn't bare to watch the second. My mistake.

As I said in my post about the first show -- Angel is one of the "Good Guys" (he may be an arrogant *****, but so what).

Can't wait for show number 3.
Old 31st October 2007, 07:16 PM   #17
mbuehner
Student

Rodney, nobody else claimed they were doing anything but trickery. Are you against illusions in general? Got a problem with Hoodini? At least 2 of the other contestants flat out said they had no mystical powers. You arent going to get a better showcasing of the difference between magicians and frauds.

In other news- Part 3 of Southpark Imaginationland trilogy, and even better 6 hours of live Ghost Hunters talking to themselves in dark room. This night could not get any better. Happy Halloween!
Old 31st October 2007, 07:16 PM   #18
Aston14
New Blood

I'm with Joshua here. Most of the contestants were claiming to be performers, ala Banachek, in the commercials they presented them as though they claimed to have paranormal powers, but when they performed, they really did not claim any such abilities. Anytime someone would claim they did something paranormal, Criss would strike them down, and this Callahan guy just got the worst of it.
Old 31st October 2007, 07:20 PM   #19
Spidey13
Pastor of Muppets

Now I wish I had watched the show!
Old 31st October 2007, 07:31 PM   #20
steve s
Philosopher

I missed tonight's episode. Does anyone know if it will re-air on one of the cable networks like Deal Or No Deal does. I seem to recall seeing last week's episode replaying on another channel, but I don't recall which. I stopped by the NBC site and didn't see anything about a rerun.

Steve S.
Old 31st October 2007, 07:35 PM   #21
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Another one for the good guys!

I repeat my suggestion from elsewhere that The Amazing One should get together with Angell and talk about developing an additional "front person" for the MDC - and even a spokesperson for the "after-Randi" years. If Chris wants to throw around a few of his millions, how about the JREF 5 Million Dollar Challenge! (As Doctor Evil learned, a million just ain't a million any more.... Bwahaha.)

Angell can be an annoying schmuck*, but he's got the name and the presence and he apparently has the stones. And it'd maintain the tradition of having a debunking professional conjurer up front.

*I think that's been said of a certain bearded one from time to time.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 07:39 PM   #22
imjohn
Critical Thinker

It was a great moment for skepticism on TV. Very cool.
imjohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 07:41 PM   #23
Alkatran
Muse

Originally Posted by shalomsteph View Post
The tattoo smear guy pretty much said how he did it, with the subliminal messages, ying-yang table, etc.
I think the explanation was part of the act.
Alkatran is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 07:46 PM   #24
shalomsteph
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by steve s View Post
I missed tonight's episode. Does anyone know if it will re-air on one of the cable networks like Deal Or No Deal does. I seem to recall seeing last week's episode replaying on another channel, but I don't recall which. I stopped by the NBC site and didn't see anything about a rerun.

Steve S.
NBC.com will have the show up in the next few days for free online. It will probably be up by the weekend, BUT, it might be edited. Hopefully, someone will have the exchange on youtube by the weekend as well.

As far as I know, it doesn't repeat on MSNBC or USA.
Old 31st October 2007, 08:22 PM   #25
Adrian Lopez
Thinker

Originally Posted by Alkatran View Post
I think the explanation was part of the act.
I think so too, and it worries me. It's great that illusionists like Chris Angel are willing to call BS when performers claim psychic powers they don't really have, but when a claim involves psychological powers that don't exist, no magician seems willing to call it the way it really is. I care about psychology and people's understanding of it, which is why it bothers me when people remain silent about this sort of act.

It reminded me of Derren Brown's act, which bothers me for the same reason.
Adrian Lopez is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 08:25 PM   #26
Adrian Lopez
Thinker

NBC.com will have the show up in the next few days for free online. It will probably be up by the weekend, BUT, it might be edited. Hopefully, someone will have the exchange on youtube by the weekend as well.
Unfortunately, people outside the US will likely not be able to watch it online. I was about to congratulate NBC on making their shows available on the Internet, but it turns out they're only available to people in the US.

Hopefully, somebody out there will post the clip to YouTube.
Adrian Lopez is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 08:28 PM   #27
MWare
Muse

My question now is: Has Criss created his own 1$m challenge? I don't think the monetary amount is a coincidence.

ETA - Did anyone wonder how difficult it would have been to distract "Raven" from guarded the "locked salt-filled box" with a string and a Twinkie?

Last edited by MWare; 31st October 2007 at 08:39 PM.
MWare is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 08:36 PM   #28
shalomsteph
Critical Thinker

Oh. My. Goodness.

This Jim Callahan is the same Jim Callahan intending to "to make $1,000,00.00 off of James Randi and his foundation."
It is in the most recent SWIFT by Randi.

This makes it even cooler. Someone should let Randi know about this!!

Last edited by shalomsteph; 31st October 2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 31st October 2007, 08:43 PM   #29
Drudgewire
Critical Doofus

Oh. My. Goodness.

This Jim Callahan is the same Jim Callahan intending to "to make $1,000,00.00 off of James Randi and his foundation."

Hahahahaha, indeed it is the same guy. And Randi's following the show already.

Holy crud this guy is a 1 man woo-orchestra:

Quote:
Jim Callahan is seeking individuals who desire employment after death.

I am looking for individuals who would like to participate in my shows and experiments after their deaths. You will be compensated for your participation and time.
Uhhhhh... yeah...

...yeah...
Old 31st October 2007, 08:55 PM   #30
fishbait
Raggin' the Blues

Jebus H. Christ on a bicycle! Get a grip. Of course it was staged. For a lame show that bombed on it's first showing, what would ensure more viewers than a Jerry Springer moment? This is television, and it's all about the dollars.

The same people who watch American Idol to watch Simon Whatshisface trash the performers will tune in to see Angel do the same to the cheesy acts on this stupid show.

Marketing. Nothing more.

What a crock.
Old 31st October 2007, 08:55 PM   #31
imjohn
Critical Thinker

This guy offers employment after death.

Bwahahahhahahahahaha.

What a worthless bunch of c&%*!

http://www.jimclass.com/Employment%20After%20Death.htm
imjohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 08:58 PM   #32
Homemade psycho
Thinker

Quote:
Jim Callahan is seeking individuals who desire employment after death.

I am looking for individuals who would like to participate in my shows and experiments after their deaths. You will be compensated for your participation and time.

This was so ridiculous that I seriously wondered wether you were kidding or not..
Please tell me no one answered that positively...
Homemade psycho is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 09:00 PM   #33
shalomsteph
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by fishbait View Post
Jebus H. Christ on a bicycle! Get a grip. Of course it was staged. For a lame show that bombed on it's first showing, what would ensure more viewers than a Jerry Springer moment? This is television, and it's all about the dollars.

The same people who watch American Idol to watch Simon Whatshisface trash the performers will tune in to see Angel do the same to the cheesy acts on this stupid show.

Marketing. Nothing more.

What a crock.
No, I don't think it was. Gellar was too shocked, and NBC muted and cut to a commercial. True, Angel may have had it planned, but I don't think Callahan was planning on it.
Old 31st October 2007, 09:05 PM   #34
Wowbagger
The Infinitely Prolonged

Dang. Missed this one.
Saw it last week, and thought it was kinda "meh". I'll have to catch some other way...

SkeptiCamp NYC: http://www.skepticampnyc.org/
An open conference on science and skepticism, where you could be a presenter!

By the way, my first name is NOT Bowerick!!!!
Wowbagger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 09:16 PM   #35
Enlighten
Scholar

Angel is a man of his word, as he told Larry King yesterday October 30:

Quote:
KING: The famed mentalist. He could read minds.

ANGEL: Sure. Fantastic.

KING: Is that a trick?

ANGEL: That -- put it this way, no one has the ability, that I'm aware of, to do anything supernatural, psychic, talk to the dead. And that was what I said I was going to do with "Phenomenon." If somebody goes on that show and claims to have supernatural psychic ability, I'm going to bust them live and on television. That's what Houdini did for more than half of his life, because those people prey on the vulnerable.

KING: But you read body language, as you did with the guy -- picking the guy up.

ANGEL: Yes. Yes, but there is not -- basically as a mentalist, we take our five known senses and create the illusion of a sixth sense. But there is no...
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...30/lkl.01.html
Enlighten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 09:28 PM   #36
Derwoods
Scholar

No, I don't think it was. Gellar was too shocked, and NBC muted and cut to a commercial. True, Angel may have had it planned, but I don't think Callahan was planning on it.
I don't see why it couldn't have been a little of both. Producers of shows like this have absolutely no qualms manipulating the contestants to see how they react and I don't see it as much of a stretch that they were at least hoping for such a clash between uri and angel (LIHOP for the CTs out there).
Derwoods is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 09:29 PM   #37
imjohn
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Homemade psycho View Post

This was so ridiculous that I seriously wondered wether you were kidding or not..
Please tell me no one answered that positively...
I would take his million to employ me after death. I would require prepayment though as I am reasonably certain that he will not be able to transfer the funds to my after death bank.
Old 31st October 2007, 09:38 PM   #38
mbuehner
Student

I dont think it was staged- if you watch the video it wasnt slick enough to be staged, i mean it came off as VERY awkward. TV idiots arent clever enough to know that ackward equals realistic, staged things on tv end up looking TOO slick. Just seeing Uri's poleaxed reaction is enough- check out any of his tv appearance he never changes expression he just looks dopey. Check the Carson appearance and see the deer in the headlights look, thats what he looked like tonight.

And for anybody complaining about Angel and the genre- well, i guess its fine if you just dont hold with magic in general, but its kinda pointless. You cant expect mentalists and illusionists to wink at the camera every 3 seconds just to convince the lowest common denominator that its a trick.
The lowest common denominator is ALWAYS going to find something to eat up with a spoon, even if you flat out tell them that you are fooling them and how. A lot of people enjoy the craft and the showmanship of magic (and, err, lest we forget Randi's vocation...). I have no problem with folks doing some great stuff and not winking at the camera or explaining their illusions- so long as they dont cross the line and CLAIM its supernatural. Thats exactly the line this show has been walking. The contestants that just put on a dramatic performance that is creative do well, those that try to pretend they have powers A.Never come off as dramatic as the honest guys amazingly and B.Get challeneged by Chris Angel. I think thats pretty cool. But again, if you think pulling a nickel from a kids ear is a dangerous lure down the paths of witchcraft, you probably wont like this.

Last edited by mbuehner; 31st October 2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 31st October 2007, 09:57 PM   #39
Alkatran
Muse

The contestant's actions make sense if we assume he wants to maximize the number of votes he gets. Chris Angel's actions make sense if we assume he doesn't like people saying their abilities are paranormal.

It's definitely believable.
Alkatran is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2007, 09:58 PM   #40
Enlighten
Scholar

Oh. My. Goodness.

Callahan also sells a numerology book he authored on his website:

http://www.jimclass.com/Gift%20and%2...%20starter.htm
Enlighten is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal