ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th October 2020, 11:48 AM   #1
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube cracks down on QAnon conspiracy theory videos, citing real-world violence

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/youtube...piracy-videos/

https://blog.youtube/news-and-events...eories-youtube

"YouTube is cracking down on QAnon, "Pizzagate" and other conspiracy theory content on its platform that has been "used to justify real-world violence" against groups or individuals, the company announced Thursday.

The new policies, the company said, went into effect Thursday and will be continually updated due to the "evolving nature and shifting tactics of groups promoting these conspiracy theories."

Its a start I suppose.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 12:18 PM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Better late than never.
Old 15th October 2020, 12:52 PM   #3
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Better late than never.
That's debatable. If there remains the slightest bit of justice in the world, QAnon's foundational belief - that Trump is here to destroy the evil baby-eating cabal - is about to expire. YouTube can start cracking down now because the value of QAnon videos is going to start dropping precipitously; Google's already made its money on screwing up the heads of millions. The question is whether YouTube will do the right thing when the crackpots and grifters move on to their next conspiracy framework.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 05:55 PM   #4
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

A recent study, purported by many as supporting the notion that BLM protest are acceptable and should be allowed, has proclaimed that 93% of BLM protest are peaceful. What percent of QAnon videos have resulted in rioting, violence, and arson?

I await YouTube banning BLM videos.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 06:20 PM   #5
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post
A recent study, purported by many as supporting the notion that BLM protest are acceptable and should be allowed, has proclaimed that 93% of BLM protest are peaceful. What percent of QAnon videos have resulted in rioting, violence, and arson?

I await you telling us what percentage of QAnon beliefs are true, perhaps with a breakdown of the number of children abused and/or consumed by Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Tom Hanks, etc.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
I await you telling us what percentage of QAnon beliefs are true, perhaps with a breakdown of the number of children abused and/or consumed by Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, Tom Hanks, etc.
It's not less true than any religion.
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 06:49 PM   #7
Venom
Illuminator

Do you acknowledge the danger of these QAnon/Pizzagate style conspiracy theories ?
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 08:27 PM   #8
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Not quite the right metric is it? The BLM stories can be verified and fact checked. The Qanon stuff not so much.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2020, 11:33 PM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Not quite the right metric is it? The BLM stories can be verified and fact checked. The Qanon stuff not so much.
And we know for a fact that

1. Owners of the Pizzeria were subject to harassment and death threats.
2. People who worked AT the Pizzerias were harassed and threatened with violence.
3. People who worked FOR the Pizzerias such as artists and musicians were also threatened.
4. People who "liked" the Pizzeria's social media pages were victimised and harassed.
5. Other nearby Pizzerias and businesses were targeted.
6. Nutcase conspiracy theorist Edgar Maddison Welch fired shots at the Pizzeria using an AR-15 style assault rifle.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 04:25 AM   #10
rockysmith76
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
It's not less true than any religion.
So you're proposing all religion be banned?
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 04:43 AM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
from youtube?
Old 16th October 2020, 05:05 AM   #12
rockysmith76
Banned

from youtube?
I was of the impression his idea was more general, but the question can be asked either way. Are YOU suggesting Youtube should ban all religion?
rockysmith76 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 05:17 AM   #13
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

No, it just seems Youtube does not care if the theory is true or not. It cares if it calls for violence or not.
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 06:20 AM   #14
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I was of the impression his idea was more general, but the question can be asked either way. Are YOU suggesting Youtube should ban all religion?
absolutely!

too bad it can only ban it from its platform
Old 16th October 2020, 06:23 AM   #15
rockysmith76
Banned

absolutely!

too bad it can only ban it from its platform
And then they, the religious turn around and attack atheists and the whole thing goes down the tubes. You don't like something, ignore it. Censorship is, like it or not the proverbial slipper slope.
Old 16th October 2020, 06:32 AM   #16
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

And then they, the religious turn around and attack atheists and the whole thing goes down the tubes. You don't like something, ignore it. Censorship is, like it or not the proverbial slipper slope.
wait - how do Atheists enter into this?
Or do you think that the Secret Atheist Cabal is controlling all social media?
Old 16th October 2020, 06:59 AM   #17
rockysmith76
Banned

wait - how do Atheists enter into this?
Or do you think that the Secret Atheist Cabal is controlling all social media?
you want to ban all religion, that is the obvious countermove for organized religion.
Old 16th October 2020, 07:18 AM   #18
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

you want to ban all religion, that is the obvious countermove for organized religion.
so why attack the other Atheists when it was just silly old me who banned their Religions?
Old 16th October 2020, 07:50 AM   #19
Joe Random
Master Poster

"We won't host videos of people claiming children are being kept as sex slaves in the non-existent basement of a pizza parlor so please grab your rifle and liberate them" = "And so we will ban all religion".

Seems legit.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 08:23 AM   #20
rockysmith76
Banned

so why attack the other Atheists when it was just silly old me who banned their Religions?
since all religion would be banned, fairs fair. Double standard denied.
Old 16th October 2020, 08:43 AM   #21
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

why don't we agree that this has been rather silly, okay?

you can't ban religion in practice, not even if you are Stalin, certainly not if you are youtube, and you certainly can't ban atheism, given that at any point a sizeable chunk of supposedly religious people are in fact atheists.
Old 16th October 2020, 08:52 AM   #22
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Atheism is not a religion.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 10:51 AM   #23
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

You raise an interesting point. How often can QAnon messages be associated with a violent outcome? Wouldn't the answer to that question allow us to better determine if it should be allowed?

The ultimate objection that YouTube (YT) has is NOT that there is misinformation or conspiracy theories on their platform. Their ultimate issue are the consequences of those communications, namely violence. Not all conspiracy theories lead to actionable violence, in the same way that not all BLM protest result in actionable violence.

Youtube's justification for banning QAnon is that QAnon's content has resulted in violence. That is the standard of evaluation that YouTube has chosen.

We know that BLM protest have resulted in violence. We should hold the violent consequences of BLM to the same standard that we are holding QAnon.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 11:00 AM   #24
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

An FBI report concluded that

Quote:
"QAnon has contributed to the radicalization of several people to notable criminal acts or acts of violence,"

Remember the assassination of a mobster, just for starters?
The kidnapping pretend-Militas also did hang out on Q sites.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 16th October 2020 at 11:02 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 02:25 PM   #25
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Deleted/reported.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 16th October 2020 at 02:36 PM.
Old 17th October 2020, 06:02 PM   #26
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

An FBI report concluded that

Remember the assassination of a mobster, just for starters?
The kidnapping pretend-Militas also did hang out on Q sites.
Are you willing to share the original source of your quote from the FBI?

This FBI report from a few years ago predicted that Black Identity Extremist would increase their violent activity in the following years. It’s comforting to know that one of the nations premier domestic intelligence agencies accurately predicted the current increase in domestic violence that we are all experiencing or witnessing on mainstream media. .

Now that you have been informed by both an independent and FBI study that concluded that BLM protests have contributed to the increase in violence experienced in our nation do you believe that their YouTube content should meet the same fate as QAnon?
Old 17th October 2020, 11:30 PM   #27
Elagabalus
Philosopher

You raise an interesting point. How often can QAnon messages be associated with a violent outcome? Wouldn't the answer to that question allow us to better determine if it should be allowed?

The ultimate objection that YouTube (YT) has is NOT that there is misinformation or conspiracy theories on their platform. Their ultimate issue are the consequences of those communications, namely violence. Not all conspiracy theories lead to actionable violence, in the same way that not all BLM protest result in actionable violence.

Youtube's justification for banning QAnon is that QAnon's content has resulted in violence. That is the standard of evaluation that YouTube has chosen.

We know that BLM protest have resulted in violence. We should hold the violent consequences of BLM to the same standard that we are holding QAnon.
Actually the conspiracy aspect IS front and center according to YouTube.

Quote:
Today, we are taking another step in our efforts to curb hate and harassment by removing more conspiracy theory content used to justify real-world violence.

Managing misinformation and harmful conspiracy theories is challenging because the content is always shifting and evolving...

Managing harmful conspiracy theories on YouTube (YouTube)
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2020, 11:38 PM   #28
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Are you willing to share the original source of your quote from the FBI?
https://news.yahoo.com/fbi-documents...oMycD5ASwRYAp9

Quote:
This FBI report from a few years ago predicted that Black Identity Extremist would increase their violent activity in the following years. It’s comforting to know that one of the nations premier domestic intelligence agencies accurately predicted the current increase in domestic violence that we are all experiencing or witnessing on mainstream media. .

Now that you have been informed by both an independent and FBI study that concluded that BLM protests have contributed to the increase in violence experienced in our nation do you believe that their YouTube content should meet the same fate as QAnon

the difference is that BLM is linked to protests guaranteed under the 1st Amendment: the number of violent incidents is very small, compared to the size of the peaceful protests.

Where are the Q rallies? How peaceful are they?

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 17th October 2020 at 11:40 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 05:30 PM   #29
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

Managing harmful conspiracy theories on YouTube (YouTube)
You quoted this from YB’s public release
Originally Posted by YouTube
conspiracy theory content used to justify real-world violence.
We must be missing each other here. You want to focus on the particular content that YB mentioned. I am focusing on the reason that YB has directed its attention to this particular content. YouTube is specifically targeting conspiracy theories because it has been used to justify real world violence.

BLM is also being used to justify real world violence. Refer to the FBI report and study referenced earlier if you doubt this. Do you see the disparity of YB’s policy?

The title of the 2019 news article based on an FBI report you linked to is “conspiracy theories are a new domestic terrorism threat.” Whereas the FBI report I linked to is from a few years earlier. How should the FBI or YouTube decide which threat to spend their efforts combating? YB’s press release has made it clear that what efforts they are trying to combat, violence. Has QAnon content resulted in more or less violence than BLM?

the difference is that BLM is linked to protests guaranteed under the 1st Amendment: the number of violent incidents is very small, compared to the size of the peaceful protests.

Where are the Q rallies? How peaceful are they?
Are you really implying that only if QAnon held rallies or protest then their content should have the same 1st amendment protections as BLM?

Regarding 1st amendment rights, we are discussing YB policy, and I have been reminded many times on this message board that the first amendment doesn’t apply to companies. If YB justifies banning QAnon content, which you support, because it results in violence then they must ban BLM content which has resulted in more violence.
Old 19th October 2020, 12:00 AM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Media Matters: Following YouTube's ban, QAnon followers are jumping to these other major platforms
Quote:
QAnon followers are jumping to other platforms following YouTube’s slow crackdown on content pushing the conspiracy theory. Media Matters has identified four major platforms -- Spotify, Vimeo, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts -- where QAnon content is flourishing. These platforms must follow other tech companies’ lead and commit to swiftly banning all QAnon content; anything short of that will only further enable the spread of this inherently dangerous conspiracy theory.

Following YouTube’s decision to ban QAnon content from the platform, discussion about where to find major accounts supporting the conspiracy theory surfaced in a private QAnon Facebook group which is still active, despite Facebook’s promise to remove QAnon content from its platform as well. One user decried “youtube censorship,” suggesting, “try Vimeo it’s a decent site.” Another wrote, “X22 is on Spotify as well,” referring to a popular QAnon account recently banned from YouTube.

There is no denying QAnon’s ties to violence; the FBI even classified the conspiracy theory as a domestic terrorist threat last year. The conspiracy theory is centered around claims that President Donald Trump is secretly fighting against members of the “deep state” and “pedophiles,” who will supposedly be rounded up and executed soon -- it is also wildly anti-Semitic. This unfounded conspiracy theory promoting imminent violence against the president’s enemies has been directly linked to multiple killings, a kidnapping, and even terrorism.

With social media companies struggling to enforce piecemeal bans on the conspiracy theory, many of its major supporters have had ample time to create backups or move to other platforms. With that in mind, Media Matters has identified four major platforms where QAnon video and audio content continues to spread with seemingly no restrictions. The examples below are just a small sample of the much larger amount of QAnon content circulating on these platforms.
It's so bizarre who is behind this. The followers I get. But the people making the internet content, who are they? Do they communicate with each other?

There is a lot more and a dozen links embedded in the content.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2020, 12:25 AM   #31
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Regarding 1st amendment rights, we are discussing YB policy, and I have been reminded many times on this message board that the first amendment doesn’t apply to companies. If YB justifies banning QAnon content, which you support, because it results in violence then they must ban BLM content which has resulted in more violence.
no, of course YT can do what it wants.

But the question is whether there is a serious legal liability in promoting one type of message and suppressing another.

BLM does not depend on social media to the degree that Q does, so it is much harder for a company to claim that someone got radicalized elsewhere in the case of Q than in the case of violence at protests.

Someone got literally assassinated because one person went down the Q online rabbit hole.
You just don't see nothing so entirely internet based on the Social Justice side.
Old 19th October 2020, 02:44 PM   #32
eerok
Quixoticist

Now that you have been informed by both an independent and FBI study that concluded that BLM protests have contributed to the increase in violence experienced in our nation do you believe that their YouTube content should meet the same fate as QAnon?
It's obviously the toxic and counterfactual BS pushed by QAnon that gets them deplatformed, including public health concerns. There's nothing like that with BLM, which whether you agree with them or not, is a legitimate social movement attempting to provoke meaningful change. That being said, no one said that even legitimate change can't get messy, and generally speaking, it does.

Any comparison of QAnon with BLM fails on so many levels, it's not even funny.

Anyway, this stuff so not belongs in this subforum.
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM   #33
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Hmm, an FBI that is under the control of the Trump corrupted DoJ?

I'm not sure I would trust anything the FBI has to say until such time as the DoJ and FBI has been cleansed of Barr and his corrupt cronies.

Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #34
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Hmm, an FBI that is under the control of the Trump corrupted DoJ?

I'm not sure I would trust anything the FBI has to say until such time as the DoJ and FBI has been cleansed of Barr and his corrupt cronies.
Don't chomp down on that bait. Equating "BLM" with "Black Identity Extremist" is beyond dishonest.
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM   #35
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Quote:
Today, we are taking another step in our efforts to curb hate and harassment...
Note - not "our efforts to remove conspiracy theories" but "our efforts to curb hate and harassment". Then the excerpt you posted outlines what actions have been taken in pursuit of that goal, namely removing some conspiracy theory material.
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM   #36
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Note - not "our efforts to remove conspiracy theories" but "our efforts to curb hate and harassment". Then the excerpt you posted outlines what actions have been taken in pursuit of that goal, namely removing some conspiracy theory material.
Those concepts are too fluid to draw a meaningful distinction between one or the other.
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #37
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post

Here's the whole blurb.

Quote:
Today, we are taking another step in our efforts to curb hate and harassment by removing more conspiracy theory content used to justify real-world violence.

Managing misinformation and harmful conspiracy theories is challenging because the content is always shifting and evolving. To address this kind of content effectively, it’s critical that our teams continually review and update our policies and systems to reflect the frequent changes. Today, we are taking another step in our efforts to curb hate and harassment by removing more conspiracy theory content used to justify real-world violence. This builds on our work over the last several years to strengthen and evolve our policies and enforcement — work that has been organized around four pillars: removing violative content, reducing the spread of harmful misinformation, raising authoritative voices, and rewarding trusted creators.

Nearly two years ago, we took a major step to limit the reach of harmful misinformation by updating our recommendations system. This resulted in a 70% drop in views coming from our search and discovery systems. In fact, when we looked at QAnon content, we saw the number of views that come from non-subscribed recommendations to prominent Q-related channels dropped by over 80% since January 2019.

Additionally, we’ve removed tens of thousands of QAnon-videos and terminated hundreds of channels under our existing policies, particularly those that explicitly threaten violence or deny the existence of major violent events. All of this work has been pivotal in curbing the reach of harmful conspiracies, but there’s even more we can do to address certain conspiracy theories that are used to justify real-world violence, like QAnon.

Today we're further expanding both our hate and harassment policies to prohibit content that targets an individual or group with conspiracy theories that have been used to justify real-world violence. One example would be content that threatens or harrasses someone by suggesting they are complicit in one of these harmful conspiracies, such as QAnon or Pizzagate. As always, context matters, so news coverage on these issues or content discussing them without targeting individuals or protected groups may stay up. We will begin enforcing this updated policy today, and will ramp up in the weeks to come.

Due to the evolving nature and shifting tactics of groups promoting these conspiracy theories, we’ll continue to adapt our policies to stay current and remain committed to taking the steps needed to live up to this responsibility.

Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM   #38
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Don't chomp down on that bait. Equating "BLM" with "Black Identity Extremist" is beyond dishonest.
Yes, I hadn't actually realized that...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Identity_Extremists
In the United States, Black Identity Extremists (BIE) was a designation used by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) from August 2017 to July 2019. It first appeared in a counterterrorism report dated August 3, 2017 sent to thousands of American police departments and described safety concerns about allegedly violent African-American activists. The term was discontinued when the FBI merged several classifications under the umbrella term of “racially motivated violent extremism”.

So the report really isn't about BLM at all, its about violent racist groups.... and guess who that also applies to?

Old Yesterday, 08:35 PM   #39
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Again, the statement makes it clear that the goal is to curb hate and harassment - it says this several times. In this context, the method being announced is to remove conspiracy material.

But perhaps I'm just nitpicking here. I'll drop it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet