ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th October 2013, 02:03 PM   #41
sowhat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
After comparing the video in the OP with other videos of PBYs on YouTube, it's not a Catalina. The ratio of the wingspan to the fuselage is wrong for it to be a PBY.
Could the camera angle be throwing that off? Not arguing the point. Just asking.
It sure looks good to me, and would account for the apparent lack of undercarriage.
sowhat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2013, 02:39 PM   #42
Pope130
Illuminator

Douglas O-46

I still think the Douglas is a good candidate. It has the tapered parasol wing and distinctive tail shape. The apparant lack of landing gear is, I believe, a result of push processing of the film. The O-46 is correct for the late thirties wargames held in the old south.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg O-46A.jpg (29.2 KB, 4 views)
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2013, 03:53 PM   #43
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I think those who are saying Stinson O-49 could be on the right track if the video clip really is Louisiana War Games in 1941

http://www.scribd.com/doc/43813068/U...www-jgokey-com

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2013, 03:59 PM   #44
sowhat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
I still think the Douglas is a good candidate. It has the tapered parasol wing and distinctive tail shape. The apparant lack of landing gear is, I believe, a result of push processing of the film. The O-46 is correct for the late thirties wargames held in the old south.
I think we have a winner here. I was not familiar with the O-46, but it fits very well.
I withdraw the PBY. I think the 46 wins over the Stinson based on the high raised wing.
sowhat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2013, 04:28 PM   #45
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Found the original clip; it's from a USAAF newsreel of the Carolina maneuvers of 1941.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The newsreel starts at 1:08:37; the clip in question starts at 1:10:30. However, the planes can be seen in several earlier clips; they're definitely some sort of US observation aircraft standing in for bombers.
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2013, 04:56 PM   #46
I Ratant
Penultimate Amazing

Curtiss O-52..
I loved the aerobatic Ford Trimotor at the beginning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Curtiss-O-46.jpg (22.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Curtiss_O-52_Owl_USAF.jpg (16.0 KB, 149 views)
I Ratant is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2013, 05:10 PM   #47
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
Curtiss O-52..
I loved the aerobatic Ford Trimotor at the beginning!

Yeah, that was cool. I also liked "Yes, sir, that's good old horse cavalry. Some experts say they'll go where tanks and mechanized units can't."

(and yes, I know that some NATO SF units use horses in Afghanistan)
3) "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya
SpitfireIX is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2013, 05:48 PM   #48
steve s
Philosopher

From this angle they're pretty beefy (assuming it's the same set of planes.)

Steve S
Old 26th October 2013, 05:49 PM   #49
steve s
Philosopher

Originally Posted by I Ratant View Post
Curtiss O-52..

It would explain the lack of visible landing gear.

Steve S
Old 26th October 2013, 06:40 PM   #50
sowhat
Critical Thinker

...and the winner is ...not me. Not PBY. Not O-46. Not Louisiana. That was kind of fun though. Nice work, Spitfire!
Old 26th October 2013, 09:23 PM   #51
Pope130
Illuminator

I agree. The clearer film Spitfire found definately looks like the O-52.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2013, 09:53 PM   #52
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Fine work men! That's a three day pass for all of you

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2013, 02:53 AM   #53
SpitfireIX
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sowhat View Post
...and the winner is ...not me. Not PBY. Not O-46. Not Louisiana. That was kind of fun though. Nice work, Spitfire!

Old 27th October 2013, 01:06 PM   #54
sackett
Philosopher

How I miss the old-fashioned newsreel. They knew better than to stun their audiences with droning upper bodies.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 12:40 AM   #55
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Jeez, it does not seem like seven years since I first posted this thread.

I have another one, though I suspect I already know the answer. These photos are from a bunch of B&W 120 6x9 medium format negatives brought in by a customer of mine. The other images show various scenes of bomb damage such as collapsed buildings, busted railway wagons and blown-up tracks around the area of Nuremberg at the end of WW2 (we know its Nuremberg because one of the images is of a soldier holding a sign that says "Nürnberg Hauptbahnhof"

However, these two pictures caught my eye...

At first glance, some guys in a military uniform pictured with an American aircraft of some type... except, I don't think its American.

Firstly if it is American, its of a type I have never seen before, and secondly, it looks remarkably like a Messerschmitt Bf-108 Taifun. The curved corner on the rearmost window is distinctive, and I think I can see the faint outlines of the original Luftwaffe insignia that have been covered over by the USAAF markings. Could this be a captured Bf 108?

I know that Bf-108D variants were used as liaison aircraft in southern Germany at the end of WW2, so geographically, that fits. Also, I think that odd looking bladed nose on the spinner was used on that variant (I think it was to do with the variable speed propeller)

I'd be interested if some of our WW2 experts here can tell me if I'm on the right track.

Here are some links to higher resolution images..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ftlhvr2bkx...ge%29.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wyfsmnknk8...ge%29.jpg?dl=0

Old 18th October 2020, 12:49 AM   #56
Aber
Graduate Poster

From wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messer...itt_Bf_108.jpg

Includes the propeller detail.

Last edited by Aber; 18th October 2020 at 12:50 AM.
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 02:20 AM   #57
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aber View Post
From wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messer...itt_Bf_108.jpg

Includes the propeller detail.

Yep, I was onto that before I posted, but I missed seeing the Swiss one with the weird spinner.

I had read somewhere that one of these things was captured, along with a Luftwaffe aircraft machanic who they pressed into service to help keep this and other captured German aircraft in service.

Old Today, 05:55 AM   #58
Lplus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Yep, I was onto that before I posted, but I missed seeing the Swiss one with the weird spinner.

I had read somewhere that one of these things was captured, along with a Luftwaffe aircraft machanic who they pressed into service to help keep this and other captured German aircraft in service.
Not sure about the Me 108, but Eric Brown had two Luftwaffe mechanics and a Seibel 204D which he used to tour Germany whilst collecting captured aircraft for assessment back in the UK
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:54 AM   #59
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

The fins on the spinner are common on Argus engines. You'll see them a lot on Wf-189s as well.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:56 AM   #60
Lplus
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
The fins on the spinner are common on Argus engines. You'll see them a lot on Wf-189s as well.
Something in my memory tells me they are blades that turn the spinner to operate the prop feathering oil pump.
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 10:43 AM   #61
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Aber View Post
From that wiki...

Quote:
United States Army Air Corps - A single Bf 108B was purchased by the U.S. Military Attaché for Air in the spring of 1939 for $14,378 and designated XC-44. It was repossessed by the Nazi government in December 1941 (after having been condemned in November).
I wonder if that's the one, before it was repoed by the Nazi's?
Wouldn't "Nazi-Repo Man" would make a great villain?

Last edited by Mike!; Today at 10:45 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts