IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags challenge application , karen sellers , mdc , rejected , telekinesis

Old 5th November 2007, 01:39 AM   #1
RemieV
Philosopher

KAREN SELLERS - Telekinesis

Ms. Sellers has applied for the Challenge stating that she is able to make a key on a string move with the power of her mind.

In order to ensure that it is the power of her mind moving the key, we will be putting both string and key inside an airtight jar. We will check the jar to make sure it is airtight by holding it near a fan and checking for any movement of the string. Ms. Sellers says that she must touch the surface that the jar is sitting on, so we will be putting the jar on the ground - preferably on a concrete surface, like a sidewalk.

Ms. Sellers will not be permitted to touch the jar in any way, but will hold her hands a few inches away from it.

If you have any comments or suggestions for Ms. Sellers' protocol, please add them to the MDC Subforum.
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2007, 12:00 AM   #2
RemieV
Philosopher

Here is the rough draft of Ms. Sellers' protocol. We are awaiting a response from her.

Karen Sellers
Telekinesis

Ms. Sellers will demonstrate that she is able to make a key on a string contained inside an airtight jar move in a circular motion without any physical intervention of any kind.

Materials:

One jar with lid, airtight

Superglue

One piece of wire

One piece of string

One standard house key

Immovable surface – preferably concrete

Stipulations:

No touching the jar with any body part.

No sleight-of-hand, trickery, or cheating.

No attempt to physically intervene in the motion of the key within the jar will be tolerated.

No magnets.

The jar will be tested beforehand to ensure it is airtight.

The test will begin when the string has stopped moving after the jar has been placed on the ground. The key must begin motion from a full stop.
The test will be recorded, with as many cameras as deemed necessary, by the JREF or its representatives.

If any of the above listed are violated, or if it is determined the subject has attempted to tilt the results in her favor through trickery of any kind, the test will be halted immediately and considered a failure.

If there is a setup problem, the test may be conducted additional times within a reasonable time period.

Successful Test:

The test will be considered successful if Ms. Sellers is able to move the key in a consistent motion within the airtight jar in a motion visible to all present and that can be reviewed on the tape for accuracy for a period of at least three seconds. If the key falls off the string, or the string becomes unattached from the jar, this will not be considered a successful test. The motion of the key on the string must be consistent for at least three seconds. If the test is completed successfully, Ms. Sellers’ protocol negotiations for the final Challenge test will begin.

Protocol:

Ms. Sellers will arrive at the testing location, where the materials required for the test will be provided for her at her expense.

A wire will be attached horizontally across the inside of the lid with superglue. The string will be tied securely to the wire.

The key will be tied securely to the other end of the string.

The jar will be tested to ensure it is airtight, either by blowing directly at it or holding it near a fan.

The jar will be placed on a stable surface, preferably concrete. The key must be motionless on the string before the test can begin.

Ms. Sellers will then attempt to move the key from a full stop in a consistent motion. She will be permitted to position her hands toward each side of the jar, but must maintain a distance of at least four inches from the jar at all times.

Ms. Sellers may not obscure the jar from view at any angle with her head, hair, hands, or any other body part.

Time Allotted:
Ms. Sellers will have twenty minutes to complete the Challenge test.
RemieV is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2008, 10:00 PM   #3
RemieV
Philosopher

Ms. Sellers has responded to say that she cannot make the key move on the end of the string without touching the jar when it is on the floor.

We will not allow her to touch the jar.

In the absence of another claim, or her ability to move the key without touching the jar, we will close her Challenge file.

We are awaiting a final response on this matter.
Old 18th January 2008, 05:22 PM   #4
RemieV
Philosopher

Still progressing.

Originally Posted by Karen Sellers
OK. I can make the key start from a stopped position pretty much instantly while sitting on a countertop (not touching it) and I can readily make it change directions, too. If you still want to go with the on the ground scenario (while touching it)- I can also make it move immediately but with much more difficulty of changing directions and the swing diameter is only an inch or so.

Since I have better results on the countertop-would someone (or several people) there having their hand on the counter- help? If I get the key going up to 4" diameter swing right away- they would be able to feel the counter move if I was cheating.

I requested my name be kept off your website on the hard copy version that I mailed in to the Foundation. If you still feel the need to list me there- please switch it to a made up name.

About the article you suggested: I don't think my ability has anything to do with resonance but again I don't know how it works. Also I get too much movement for it be a vibrational phenomenon.

Originally Posted by Remie
Thank you for your patience while we work through these issues.

Can you move the key within the jar on a fixed countertop while only touching the counter edge with four fingers? When you do this, how quickly does the key get to the four inch diameter circle? Can you change the direction without in any way moving the position of your hand? Does the direction change without first going to a full stop? Is it a fluid change?

If it would be possible for you to create a video that clearly showed the scene and effects, that would be very helpful.

Please let me know.
Old 5th May 2008, 02:01 PM   #5
RemieV
Philosopher

Ms. Sellers has created a video and posted it to Youtube for the JREF's review. Unfortunately, she set the video to 'private' so I cannot share the link here.

After reviewing the video, I sent Ms. Sellers the following e-mail:

Quote:
Ms. Sellers,

I have reviewed the video, and thank you for your patience.

I have to say, from the video, it appears you did not adhere to the testing procedures that we outlined. The jar is not on a fixed surface, it is on a table. You are not touching the surface lightly, but are pushing it.

I do not believe this is a paranormal ability. In fact, it is apparent that the camera is moving as well, indicating that the table is simply being pushed when you are leaning back and forth.

If there is no additional element to your ability, then I believe our protocol negotiations are over, and that the Challenge file will be closed. If you have additional information, please let me know.

Thank you again,

Alison Smith
If Ms. Sellers does not respond with additional information, her Challenge File will be closed.
Old 19th July 2008, 11:05 PM   #6
RemieV
Philosopher

Ms. Sellers still claims that her ability is paranormal, and not resonance. We asked her to try a self-test wherein there would be two mayonnaise jars, both with keys hanging from strings inside them, sitting on the same counter six inches apart. We asked her to make one key move and not the other.

Ms. Sellers was unable to make one key move and not the other. We have closed her file pending a clearer claim. Ms. Sellers will have one year to revise her proposed protocols to reflect the paranormal nature of her claim (should it actually be paranormal).

~Remie

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Million Dollar Challenge » Challenge Applications