ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th October 2019, 10:01 AM   #1401
Faydra
sinning sybarite

and it's still funny...
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 05:39 PM   #1402
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I worked through Y2K. I've got a deep-seated fear of years that end in 0.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 06:08 PM   #1403
RecoveringYuppy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I assume that's when years are expressed in base 31557600?

Make a fire for a man and you keep him warm for a day. Set him on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 14th October 2019 at 08:07 PM. Reason: remove misplaced word
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 07:00 PM   #1404
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ahhh, nothing like a major network outage to get the blood flowing.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 07:23 PM   #1405
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I hate when counting methods start with 0. I seem to remember it being a requirement for certain tables. (0,0) being the first cell, for example.
Old 14th October 2019, 08:21 PM   #1406
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Ahhh, nothing like a major network outage to get the blood flowing.
Sp ak up w can t he r y u
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2019, 11:26 PM   #1407
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I hate when counting methods start with 0. I seem to remember it being a requirement for certain tables. (0,0) being the first cell, for example.
You always count from 0. [/programmer]
Old 14th October 2019, 11:33 PM   #1408
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Faydra View Post
I have such mixed emotions!

On the one hand, YAY Brazil!!! Wish we'd do that.

On the other hand, oh crap - timezone changes in my future.
Next year in the EU the individual member states must decide if they want to keep DST as their time or they want to go back to standard time. This change will be final. No more switching between DST and standard time.

No more DST. Yay! Except... Leaving it up to the individual states means that you might get a situation where when you travel from north to south in the EU you go through several time-zones. Denmark may decide to stay on CEST because we are in the north, Germany perhaps wants to stay on CET, France chooses CEST because France, and Spain goes with CET. You might even get time-zone enclaves. Yay..
Old 15th October 2019, 12:43 AM   #1409
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I worked through Y2K. I like money for old rope.

(Which isn’t to say that the worry about Y2K was misplaced, but the computer industry put in a lot of work to make sure that the problems were dealt with before the date rolled over.)
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2019, 08:49 AM   #1410
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by erlando View Post
Next year in the EU the individual member states must decide if they want to keep DST as their time or they want to go back to standard time. This change will be final. No more switching between DST and standard time.

No more DST. Yay! Except... Leaving it up to the individual states means that you might get a situation where when you travel from north to south in the EU you go through several time-zones. Denmark may decide to stay on CEST because we are in the north, Germany perhaps wants to stay on CET, France chooses CEST because France, and Spain goes with CET. You might even get time-zone enclaves. Yay..

Most of the state of Arizona, USA, is in the Mountain time zone (UTC -7). Some of the surrounding states also on Mountain time and some are are on Pacific time (UTC -8).

Wikipedia notes that "[u]nlike most of the United States, Arizona does not observe daylight saving time (DST), with the exception of the Navajo Nation, which does observe DST. The Hopi Reservation, which is not part of the Navajo Nation but is geographically surrounded within it, does not observe DST."

This means that in the summer, if one drives from Holbrook, AZ to Tuba City AZ, one can change time zones six or seven times in 150 miles. It is disconcerting to go to a store or restaurant only to find out that it closed an hour ago, or that it won't open for another hour.
Old 21st October 2019, 11:46 PM   #1411
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
(Which isn’t to say that the worry about Y2K was misplaced, but the computer industry put in a lot of work to make sure that the problems were dealt with before the date rolled over.)
Exactly. I absolutely hate it when someone says "Nothing happened, it was all a big hoax". Yea, clownface, nothing happened because a great many people worked their asses off fixing the code that would have caused problems if left untouched.
Old 21st October 2019, 11:48 PM   #1412
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
Most of the state of Arizona, USA, is in the Mountain time zone (UTC -7). Some of the surrounding states also on Mountain time and some are are on Pacific time (UTC -8).

Wikipedia notes that "[u]nlike most of the United States, Arizona does not observe daylight saving time (DST), with the exception of the Navajo Nation, which does observe DST. The Hopi Reservation, which is not part of the Navajo Nation but is geographically surrounded within it, does not observe DST."

This means that in the summer, if one drives from Holbrook, AZ to Tuba City AZ, one can change time zones six or seven times in 150 miles. It is disconcerting to go to a store or restaurant only to find out that it closed an hour ago, or that it won't open for another hour.
That's.... stupid.
Old 22nd October 2019, 02:38 AM   #1413
catsmate
No longer the 1

That's.... stupid.
Yes, it's Arizona.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:09 AM   #1414
Faydra
sinning sybarite

My favorite thing to do on a Tuesday morning.

Conference call with 2 vendors who are pointing fingers at each on an intermittent problem that cannot be reproduced.

<banging head on wall>
Faydra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:48 AM   #1415
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's.... stupid.
What's stupid about it? Time zones are a useful tool for some things, but not everybody needs them all the time. For people passing through, it's a novelty. For the residents, it's probably no big deal. Obviously it suits the folks who live there well enough. Why make it into a "down with people" thing? Why do you need someone to be stupid, in this anecdote?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 10:04 AM   #1416
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It is a fact of modern webservers, often overlooked, that if you request
Code:
http://server/folder
the webserver will tell you to try
Code:
http://server/folder/
instead.*

This is a very minor, but very important distinction, to the webserver. It's often overlooked, because modern web browsers handle it gracefully, just going to the new address and updating the address bar without bothering you about the change.

There's basically three "good" responses a webserver can make to a vanilla request from a browser:

- "It's over there, now". This is a normal redirect message, telling you that the resource is actually at a different address entirely.

- "It's over here, now". This is similar, but says that the resource is right here, but the address is slightly different. This is the trailing "/" issue I'm talking about.

- "I've got it for you right here". This is the default "OK" message, when your address matches the address of the resource, and it's there for you.

Your web browser will turn all three of these messages into the same experience for you, the user: The requested resource just loads, from the correct address.

However. Your java package build tool, gradle, will not handle these messages gracefully. If gradle asks for:
Code:
http://server/folder
And the server replies:
Code:
302 FOUND http://server/folder/
Then gradle will give up, and your job run will fail. This is super obnoxious, because nobody knows that the "/" actually matters, and so even technically proficient software developers don't think to check it.

The people who developed the gradle tool are jackasses, for not thinking to gracefully handle such standard server responses as "HTTP 302 FOUND".

---
*This isn't true about all webservers. It actually depends on how the site is designed, and on how the webserver is configured to handle these kinds of minor address mismatches. But it's true for a lot more webservers than you probably think.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2019, 09:55 PM   #1417
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Exactly. I absolutely hate it when someone says "Nothing happened, it was all a big hoax". Yea, clownface, nothing happened because a great many people worked their asses off fixing the code that would have caused problems if left untouched.
Definitely me too. It's one of those things that when someone says it I have to push my glasses up my nose, nerd snort and say "well actually..."

- Randall Munroe
Old 22nd October 2019, 11:28 PM   #1418
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Then gradle will give up, and your job run will fail. This is super obnoxious, because nobody knows that the "/" actually matters, and so even technically proficient software developers don't think to check it.
Amazon s3 storage does something similar. It's annoying because they sort of adopted unix syntax (ls,cp, etc) but have this.
Also vendor products that have their own scripting language that is almost but not quite the same syntax as perl or existing languages. Just write perl packages or something you <expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted>!
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:11 AM   #1419
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What's stupid about it? Time zones are a useful tool for some things, but not everybody needs them all the time. For people passing through, it's a novelty. For the residents, it's probably no big deal. Obviously it suits the folks who live there well enough. Why make it into a "down with people" thing? Why do you need someone to be stupid, in this anecdote?
I don't "need" someone to be stupid. But having multiple timezones on a 150 miles long north-south journey where the time of day doesn't actually change is pretty stupid. It's also pretty stupid to have DST observed or not on an almost county level.

Last edited by erlando; 23rd October 2019 at 12:15 AM.
erlando is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:48 AM   #1420
Wudang
BOFH

Equifax: unencrypted data on a server with id and password as admin:admin.

https://www.silicon.co.uk/security/c...alleges-298285

You have now exceeded your RDA of incompetence.
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:02 AM   #1421
xterra
So far, so good...

I don't "need" someone to be stupid. But having multiple timezones on a 150 miles long north-south journey where the time of day doesn't actually change is pretty stupid. It's also pretty stupid to have DST observed or not on an almost county level.

The issue here is sovereignty. The relations between the tribes and the US, and thus the states, are governed by treaties between each tribe and the Federal government. (There is an exception: In Virginia, two treaties predate the establishment of the United States. These treaties are still in force.)

Hopi and Navajo reservations are in some sense sovereign nations, and in some sense part of the United States -- but not of the individual state(s) in which they are located. For instance, they have their own vehicle licensing system, their own tax collection which is independent of the state's collection*, etc.

*That is, tribe members do not pay income tax to the state, and a state sales tax is not collected nor remitted to the state in which the reservation is located. Thus, for instance, many people who live near a reservation, always buy gasoline on the reservation.

Last edited by xterra; 23rd October 2019 at 09:05 AM.
xterra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 09:48 AM   #1422
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Amazon s3 storage does something similar. It's annoying because they sort of adopted unix syntax (ls,cp, etc) but have this.
Also vendor products that have their own scripting language that is almost but not quite the same syntax as perl or existing languages. Just write perl packages or something you <expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted><expletive deleted>!
Domain-specific languages are a hoot.
Old 23rd October 2019, 01:30 PM   #1423
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

On a related note, especially in support, people who fight fires get more recognition than people who prevent fires from happening in the first place.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 02:22 PM   #1424
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
On a related note, especially in support, people who fight fires get more recognition than people who prevent fires from happening in the first place.
Very much so. A good office admin or a good computer systems person is essentially unnoticed until something goes wrong and stuff hits the fan. For the office admin, people get paid correctly, suppliers get paid, receipts are deposited, and the books are kept up to date every month ... no one notices unless there's a mistake. For computer people, the file shares, websites and databases stay up, the networks are reliable, email is received and delivered, backups get done (and restores as well!), and the firewalls and anti-virus systems keep the malware out.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 03:19 PM   #1425
xterra
So far, so good...

"Everything is going bad, breaking down, failing! Why are we paying you?"

"Everything is working fine, no problems, no issues. Why are we paying you?"
Old 23rd October 2019, 03:30 PM   #1426
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

"Everything is going bad, breaking down, failing! Why are we paying you?"

"Everything is working fine, no problems, no issues. Why are we paying you?"
Very old story I heard during my contracting days:

Big machine at a factory broke down and failed to proceed. Nobody on site could figure out how to fix it. Orders backed up, no income, hair-tearing-out time in the boardroom. "GET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO FIX IT!", they cried in anguish. Someone remembers...Old Bob who was their senior engineer knew how to fix it. But they had sacked him and he was a contractor now. "DON'T CARE!" said the chairman. "GET HIM IN NO MATTER THE COST!"

In comes Old Bob, who looks carefully at the machine, and marks an X on it carefully in chalk. "Hit it gently here", he said. They did, and lo and behold the machine whirrs back into action.

Old Bob then presents his bill, and it is huge - $100,000. "You want THAT MUCH for just drawing an X in chalk?" whined the chairman. "Yes", says Old Bob. "But how can you justify $100,000?! That's ridiculous!" "Easy", said Old Bob. "It's $5 for marking the machine with chalk. But it's $999,995 for knowing where to put the X."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:03 PM   #1427
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Jeez, I'm getting all the weird and crazy calls today that I can't resolve at first level. The software that didn't associate its file type properly on install and can't be manually associated. The free time for other people not showing in the Scheduling Assistant in Outlook, even though the user could view free time for rooms and shared mailboxes. The web page that won't load and won't give an error - just hangs, even though other tabs are working normally and that I can't test to see if it's the site because it requires a logon. I haven't had a single easy, straightforward call all morning.

Yes, I did all the basic Tier 1 things for all of these. Nothing worked. I haven't had a single easy, straightforward call all morning.

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd October 2019, 05:28 PM   #1428
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Just got a simple call. Finally.

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:20 PM   #1429
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Very old story I heard during my contracting days:

Big machine at a factory broke down and failed to proceed. Nobody on site could figure out how to fix it. Orders backed up, no income, hair-tearing-out time in the boardroom. "GET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS HOW TO FIX IT!", they cried in anguish. Someone remembers...Old Bob who was their senior engineer knew how to fix it. But they had sacked him and he was a contractor now. "DON'T CARE!" said the chairman. "GET HIM IN NO MATTER THE COST!"

In comes Old Bob, who looks carefully at the machine, and marks an X on it carefully in chalk. "Hit it gently here", he said. They did, and lo and behold the machine whirrs back into action.

Old Bob then presents his bill, and it is huge - $100,000. "You want THAT MUCH for just drawing an X in chalk?" whined the chairman. "Yes", says Old Bob. "But how can you justify $100,000?! That's ridiculous!" "Easy", said Old Bob. "It's $5 for marking the machine with chalk. But it's $999,995 for knowing where to put the X."

The first time I heard that story the protagonist wasn't Old Bob. It was Nicola Tesla.

And he did his own tapping.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:28 PM   #1430
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
The first time I heard that story the protagonist wasn't Old Bob. It was Nicola Tesla.

The artist John Whistler in the 1877 libel case.
Old 23rd October 2019, 07:33 PM   #1431
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Have you guys ever read The Story Of Mel? It's from 1983, and it's quite long, so there's the link, but it starts like this:

Quote:
A recent article devoted to the macho side of programming
made the bald and unvarnished statement:

Real Programmers write in FORTRAN.

Maybe they do now,
in this decadent era of
Lite beer, hand calculators, and “user-friendly” software
but back in the Good Old Days,
when the term “software” sounded funny
and Real Computers were made out of drums and vacuum tubes,
Real Programmers wrote in machine code.
Not FORTRAN. Not RATFOR. Not, even, assembly language.
Machine Code.
Raw, unadorned, inscrutable hexadecimal numbers.
Directly.

Lest a whole new generation of programmers
grow up in ignorance of this glorious past,
I feel duty-bound to describe,
as best I can through the generation gap,
how a Real Programmer wrote code.
I'll call him Mel,
because that was his name.
I heartily recommend reading the whole thing, whether you're a programmer or, like me, not. It's beautiful.

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:53 PM   #1432
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

I have heard a different version for just about every site I contracted at. And that was hundreds of sites in my time.
Old 23rd October 2019, 08:59 PM   #1433
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I have heard a different version for just about every site I contracted at. And that was hundreds of sites in my time.

It does sound like the sort of thing Tesla would have done.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:22 PM   #1434
erlando
Graduate Poster

The issue here is sovereignty. The relations between the tribes and the US, and thus the states, are governed by treaties between each tribe and the Federal government. (There is an exception: In Virginia, two treaties predate the establishment of the United States. These treaties are still in force.)

Hopi and Navajo reservations are in some sense sovereign nations, and in some sense part of the United States -- but not of the individual state(s) in which they are located. For instance, they have their own vehicle licensing system, their own tax collection which is independent of the state's collection*, etc.

*That is, tribe members do not pay income tax to the state, and a state sales tax is not collected nor remitted to the state in which the reservation is located. Thus, for instance, many people who live near a reservation, always buy gasoline on the reservation.
That changes matters of course. I wasn't aware of this.

I learned something new today. Thank you.
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:25 PM   #1435
erlando
Graduate Poster

Just got a simple call. Finally.
"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" [/TheITCrowd]
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:26 PM   #1436
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?" [/TheITCrowd]
I swear, I ask people this question several times every day.

There's a reason why that stereotype exists.

I couldn't watch The IT Crowd. It was far too true.

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th October 2019, 05:08 AM   #1437
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I swear, I ask people this question several times every day.

There's a reason why that stereotype exists.

I couldn't watch The IT Crowd. It was far too true.
Dogbert's Tech Support:

"Hello I-"
"Shut up and reboot."
"Hey it worked-""
"Shut up and hang up."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 05:19 AM   #1438
Armitage72
Illuminator

The software that didn't associate its file type properly on install and can't be manually associated.

I've occasionally had something similar on my home PC. A program would suddenly lose its association with a file type it previously opened, and if I tried to manually change "Open with", the changes wouldn't save. The problem would go away after a Windows update, so I assumed it was something that they messed up.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 05:22 AM   #1439
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also Microsoft my users have to use Chrome.

It's literally undignified and desperate how much you push Edge when all I'm doing is just choosing a default browser.

I'm waiting for the day I try to switch a user to Chrome and message pops of my house "Nice house you got there... be a shame if something happened to it. Just saying maybe you choose Edge..."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2019, 09:23 AM   #1440
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I've occasionally had something similar on my home PC. A program would suddenly lose its association with a file type it previously opened, and if I tried to manually change "Open with", the changes wouldn't save. The problem would go away after a Windows update, so I assumed it was something that they messed up.
I've certainly had problems when a Windows update has been installed (automatically, without telling me) but still needs a reboot to finish. Some applications, e.g. Lightroom, start misbehaving and the reboot (and completion of the update) fixes it.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet