ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th July 2018, 03:48 AM   #521
banquetbear
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
The pommy guy was insufferable and arrogant.
...the pommy guy is the only reason the boys are still alive.

Cite.

https://twitter.com/pakhead/status/1018710040532799488

The authorities were going to give up. Unsworth convinced them to continue. He was crucial to the search. Without him we wouldn't even be having this conversation. He was put on the spot during an interview and he said what he said. Give the guy a *********** break for ***** sakes. He's a *********** hero.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 04:01 AM   #522
Hungry81
Master Poster

The pommy guy was insufferable and arrogant. I am surprised this hoax is running, Musk is involved in the only sensible use of space technology, diversion of asteroids from the pommy guy's kids' log cabins.
Will pommy guy suggest Musk stick this useful device up his backside?
Yeah the pommy guy was a bit rude, but that does not excuse Musks reaction. All he has done is expose himself as an ill mannered jerk. Hopefully he can learn from this, appologise in a meaningful way with fistfuls of sorry and donation cash, gain some hubris and get on with running companies that produce revolutionary technology.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 04:07 AM   #523
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

The pommy guy was insufferable and arrogant. I am surprised this hoax is running, Musk is involved in the only sensible use of space technology, diversion of asteroids from the pommy guy's kids' log cabins.
What hoax?

What's this about Musk and asteroid diversion?

Just ... what????
Old 16th July 2018, 05:07 AM   #524
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Musk was a tool

It was either a publicity stunt or I seriously have more doubts about how his actual basic logic works thinking a inflexible overlong tube was going to move round a tight twisting tunnel system, let alone fit through a hole smaller than it's circumference, at one stage.

Was it supposed to float in mid air between the water bits? Or be hauled manually

Good luck with that though Leon
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayĺs Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 05:46 AM   #525
GlennB

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Musk was a tool

It was either a publicity stunt or I seriously have more doubts about how his actual basic logic works thinking a inflexible overlong tube was going to move round a tight twisting tunnel system, let alone fit through a hole smaller than it's circumference, at one stage.

Was it supposed to float in mid air between the water bits? Or be hauled manually

Good luck with that though Leon
This page of google images gives a good clue to just how stupid the submarine idea was in respect of the highlighted bit.

Last edited by GlennB; 16th July 2018 at 05:49 AM.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 06:01 AM   #526
angrysoba
Philosophile

The pommy guy was insufferable and arrogant.
Yeah, he only saved the kids' lives.

I am surprised this hoax is running,
I don't even know what this is supposed to mean.

Musk is involved in the only sensible use of space technology, diversion of asteroids from the pommy guy's kids' log cabins.
All that can be true, and much else besides. Is this why you are an uncritical, squealing fanboy?

Why should he? Elon Musk's space technology, like Elon Musk's submarine technology, and Elon Musk's bruised ego, and Elon Musk's squealing fanboys, are irrelevant.

Elon Musk made a vile and inexcusable smear, simply because he is too petulant to realize that he is not the story here. I wish him all the best in what he is good at, and he should, by the same token leave it up to others to do what they are good at.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 06:03 AM   #527
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Oh look, there's another stupid graphic with the boy swimming like an expert cave diver. "Financial Times research." Not impressed.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&iact=c&ictx=1

Last edited by Rolfe; 16th July 2018 at 06:09 AM.
Rolfe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 06:06 AM   #528
DreadNiK
A typical atypical

either an idiot or a troll. not sure which yet.

Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
DreadNiK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 07:09 AM   #529
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DreadNiK View Post
either an idiot or a troll. not sure which yet.
They often come as a package deal.
Old 16th July 2018, 08:02 AM   #530
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Musk said pedo not pedophile.
So short for...?
Information Analyst is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 08:34 AM   #531
Bob001
Philosopher

An update. Unsworth considering law suit:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 12:58 PM   #532
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I am surprised this hoax is running, Musk is involved in the only sensible use of space technology
Like launching his cars into space.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 01:01 PM   #533
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

What is Musk trying to prove here? Seems to me is he is just ass-chapped that his stupid mini sub was rejected. He was also denied his "I told you so, but you wouldn't listen" when the divers rescue mission was an unqualified success. Is there any reading of this twitter meltdown other than Musk is a petulant child upset that he is not the center of attention?
Old 16th July 2018, 01:13 PM   #534
GlennB

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
What is Musk trying to prove here? Seems to me is he is just ass-chapped that his stupid mini sub was rejected. He was also denied his "I told you so, but you wouldn't listen" when the divers rescue mission was an unqualified success. Is there any reading of this twitter meltdown other than Musk is a petulant child upset that he is not the center of attention?
It's hard to see one. Unfortunately this seems to be becoming a trend for him - attention is what he craves.
Old 16th July 2018, 01:21 PM   #535
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
It's hard to see one. Unfortunately this seems to be becoming a trend for him - attention is what he craves.
Bet he will be running for POTUS in the near future. He has the qualifications.
Old 16th July 2018, 01:27 PM   #536
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Thankfully for him, none of the kids drowned during the rescue attempt. I don't think he would have been able to restrain himself.
Old 16th July 2018, 01:32 PM   #537
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Bet he will be running for POTUS in the near future. He has the qualifications.
Not being American might slow that down a bit.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 01:50 PM   #538
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Those kids have been through heaven and hell. And the rescuers must've seemed like a rainbow in the dark - they were holy divers for sure. Good thing the kids didn't have to die young.
I see what you did there, Cleon
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 01:51 PM   #539
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

The under great stress, tired and hard working rescue diver makes a mildly rude comment and a multimillionaire who was sniping from the sidelines responds with a comment that is also insulting to Thailand, as it plays on the stereotype of it being the place to go for child sex.

I think Tesla's future could be at risk due to the conduct of its founder. Why would people buy from someone who thinks he can say anything to anyone is above common decency?
Old 16th July 2018, 01:58 PM   #540
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
Not being American might slow that down a bit.
My mistake then. Lucky for the US.
Old 16th July 2018, 02:05 PM   #541
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
The under great stress, tired and hard working rescue diver makes a mildly rude comment and a multimillionaire who was sniping from the sidelines responds with a comment that is also insulting to Thailand, as it plays on the stereotype of it being the place to go for child sex.

I think Tesla's future could be at risk due to the conduct of its founder. Why would people buy from someone who thinks he can say anything to anyone is above common decency?
I can't see any world where the diver's comments would go unnoticed except this forum.
Once he started using anal references for another man who was also bringing his resources and ideas to the party,he crossed a line, but he gets a leave pass because he helped rescue the kids?
No.

Please let us have a reasoned defence for his extraordinary and vile insult.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 02:09 PM   #542
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It wasn't accusation of pedophilia.

And yes, he gets a pass because he actually helped to rescue the kids, unlike Musk.

Last edited by Checkmite; 16th July 2018 at 02:11 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 02:12 PM   #543
Steve
Philosopher

I can't see any world where the diver's comments would go unnoticed except this forum.
Once he started using anal references for another man who was also bringing his resources and ideas to the party,he crossed a line, but he gets a leave pass because he helped rescue the kids?No.

Once he started using the word *pedophile* for another man who was also bringing his resources and ideas to the party,he crossed a line, but he gets a leave pass because he claimed he helped rescue the kids?

Please explain the difference between the two paragraphs.
Old 16th July 2018, 02:13 PM   #544
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Once he started using anal references for another man who was also bringing his resources and ideas to the party,he crossed a line, but he gets a leave pass because he helped rescue the kids?
No.

I am not defending the comment (of which I have only the references made to it here to go by). I am pointing out that people, under great stress, when being sniped at from the sidelines, who say something untoward are reacting as many would do for an understandable reason.

In the UK, telling someone to go and shove it where the sun does not shine (or variation thereof), is a comment that is considered mild and with a hint of humour. It is nothing like being called a paedophile, which is a horrific insult.
Old 16th July 2018, 02:16 PM   #545
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
No.

Unsworth said "...stick it where it hurts." Calling that an anal reference is like calling "it sucks" a fellatio reference.

No need to get all butthurt about it on some billionaire's behalf.
Old 16th July 2018, 02:18 PM   #546
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It wasn't accusation of pedophilia.

And yes, he gets a pass because he actually helped to rescue the kids, unlike Musk.
In the UK, being called a paedo is the same as as being called a paedophile.

Musk is also playing on the horrible child sex tourism that at least was associated with Thailand as he suggest the diver only went there for sexual activity with the children he was rescuing.

That is a sick mind vs an off the cuff mild insult by someone under great stress.
Old 16th July 2018, 02:27 PM   #547
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Also, it's a law of nature that strong language becomes less common and more aggressive the farther you are from the center of the earth. Sailors, who work at sea level, are notorious for swearing, but miners, submariners, and divers swear even more (probably because most of the time, even fewer people can hear them). Truckers, who must sometimes pass through high-altitude regions, are constrained in their speech ("mercy sakes, good buddy") but can still be emotionally expressive on occasion. Airline pilots are expected to remain calm and polite all the time, while astronauts are trained to use the most mild language possible because the whole world is listening in.

When Musk is representing the Boring Company he can call people ***** and pedos and ******** all he wants and no one will pay much attention, but when he's representing SpaceX he'd better watch his tongue. It must be hard for him to keep up sometimes ("What if I'm deep underground with a submarine but it's made of rocket parts?") but he has to try harder.
Old 16th July 2018, 02:30 PM   #548
GlennB

No.

1. It wasn't an 'extraordinary and vile insult'.
2. Musk had no business in getting involved.
3. Musk's sub was a very stupid idea.
4. His intervention was a distraction from vital and supremely difficult work.
5. Musk is often a colossal twat when he strays from his areas of expertise.
6. Unsworth was probably stressed and tired before the twatmeister intervened with an ignorant and dangerous rescue concept.
7. Maybe Unsworth was pretty irritated at Musk for trying to grab some glory.

When it comes to blame here I'm rating it 99-1 on Musk's side.
Old 16th July 2018, 02:33 PM   #549
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Unsworth said "...stick it where it hurts." Calling that an anal reference is like calling "it sucks" a fellatio reference.

No need to get all butthurt about it on some billionaire's behalf.
Maybe it's a cultural northern hemisphere thing to verbally attack and seriously belittle another man who had nothing to prove but a willingness to bring resources to the international effort.
Maybe not, maybe it was just that one diver.

Stick it where it hurts is as unambiguous as pedo if you like, they have both besmirched the mood of the rescue.

Last edited by Samson; 16th July 2018 at 02:40 PM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 02:39 PM   #550
Elagabalus
Illuminator

1. It wasn't an 'extraordinary and vile insult'.
2. Musk had no business in getting involved.
3. Musk's sub was a very stupid idea.
4. His intervention was a distraction from vital and supremely difficult work.
5. Musk is often a colossal twat when he strays from his areas of expertise.
6. Unsworth was probably stressed and tired before the twatmeister intervened with an ignorant and dangerous rescue concept.
7. Maybe Unsworth was pretty irritated at Musk for trying to grab some glory.

When it comes to blame here I'm rating it 99-1 on Musk's side.
Musk's onsite team might have been comprised mainly of people who act like Elon Musk (why else would he have hired them?) and rubbed everybody the wrong way.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 02:41 PM   #551
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Stick it where it hurts is as unambiguous as pedo if you like, they have both besmirched the mood of the rescue.

Maybe so, but only one of them brought a giant dildo with him into the cave.
Old 16th July 2018, 02:47 PM   #552
GlennB

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post

Tesla's share price dropped 3% on Jul 16th. Possibly entirely coincidental, but given that Tesla's value is based far more on impressions than performance then maybe it's not coincidental.
Old 16th July 2018, 03:53 PM   #553
Bob001
Philosopher

Tesla's share price dropped 3% on Jul 16th. Possibly entirely coincidental, but given that Tesla's value is based far more on impressions than performance then maybe it's not coincidental.

Not necessarily coincidental.
Quote:
Tesla stock has plunged more than 16 percent since last month, shaving billions of dollars off the company’s market value at a time when it still depends on investor cash and confidence. The company lost $2 billion last year and has never earned an annual profit.

Even Musk’s shareholders and supporters are beginning to question how his temper could affect the company he built, and their bottom line.

“This thing is unraveling,” said Gordon Johnson, the managing director of Vertical Group, a New York-based investment research group. “You had a very big shareholder last week say they want him to focus on executing and stop with the tweets — and then, this weekend, you get more tweets. What’s his angle? What is he doing? … He keeps promising all of these things, and he keeps missing, and he’s not being held to task.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...=.4cfd66929b41
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 04:36 PM   #554
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

I'm cancelling my Mars trip.

From the comment section.

ETA: It's not all bad. Pommy (Vernon) can put "Successfully trolled Elon Musk" on his C.V.. Everyone will be, like, "yeah, I remember that! Good job, dude!"

Last edited by Elagabalus; 16th July 2018 at 04:41 PM.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 04:49 PM   #555
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe it's a cultural northern hemisphere thing to verbally attack and seriously belittle another man who had nothing to prove but a willingness to bring resources to the international effort.

No, only Musk did. The diver get's a pass because....wait for it...wait for it...he saved the *********** children. There would be no "mood of the rescue" whatever the hell that means without the rude diver.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 04:57 PM   #556
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I'm cancelling my Mars trip.

From the comment section.

ETA: It's not all bad. Pommy (Vernon) can put "Successfully trolled Elon Musk" on his C.V.. Everyone will be, like, "yeah, I remember that! Good job, dude!"
Um...yeah. The pedo tweet was really an odd choice considering it drowned out the good news about production of the Model 3. As a car company, Tesla is failing at Step One: Make cars. Why would you distract from your success (success that has been few and far between lately) to insult one of the most respected people on the planet just now?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 05:29 PM   #557
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
My mistake then. Lucky for the US.
We've had worse.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 06:15 PM   #558
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

You're a Kiwi, right? You know Australians? And you think "in-your-face" is a northern hemisphere thing?

Puh-lease! Take your hero worship elsewhere.

And I think we should take the Elon Musk challenge. He says his sub will get all the way through the five chambers. Let's put him in it and have a go. The caves are still there and all nicely flooded. The tee intersection with the space his sub cannot maneuver through is still there. Let's strap Elon in and show the world.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 06:25 PM   #559
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Let's put him in it and have a go.
He might not fit in it if it was built for Thai kids.
Old 16th July 2018, 06:25 PM   #560
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
We've had worse.
Did you mean to say "we have worse"?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events