ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 16th July 2018, 06:29 PM   #561
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
And I think we should take the Elon Musk challenge. He says his sub will get all the way through the five chambers. Let's put him in it and have a go. The caves are still there and all nicely flooded. The tee intersection with the space his sub cannot maneuver through is still there. Let's strap Elon in and show the world.

I would agree, but I really don't want to see Elon Musk go out like this, turning into just another ******* whose too-easily-bruised ego made them lose any sense of humility.

I would prefer him to just accept that he's human too and makes mistakes and gets back to doing awesome science and technology work.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 06:42 PM   #562
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

The Musk rescue submarine has Pedo Protection. It's made as an all-metal capsule and so once inside a sedated boy is protected from any groping by pedo rescue divers. The set up that was actually used could possibly allow a pedo Seal to touch the boys in an improper sexual manner during the rescue procedure.
Old 16th July 2018, 06:45 PM   #563
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I would prefer him to just accept that he's human too and makes mistakes and gets back to doing awesome science and technology work.
This would also be a way to get Papa John back into the awesome pizza empire business.
Old 16th July 2018, 06:51 PM   #564
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Did you mean to say "we have worse"?
Preaching to the choir is never as funny as the choir thinks it is.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 07:28 PM   #565
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Once he started using the word *pedophile* for another man who was also bringing his resources and ideas to the party,he crossed a line, but he gets a leave pass because he claimed he helped rescue the kids?

Please explain the difference between the two paragraphs.
Timimg. Maybe I have it wrong, but I thought the diver cast the first stone.
I also thought that Musk asked if he should continue to build his machine, and was told to carry on. It all looked like good faith.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 07:45 PM   #566
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Calling someone a self-promoting jerk is one thing, accusing someone of one of the vilest crimes is way something else. And it's actionable.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 08:19 PM   #567
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
1. It wasn't an 'extraordinary and vile insult'.
2. Musk had no business in getting involved.
3. Musk's sub was a very stupid idea.
4. His intervention was a distraction from vital and supremely difficult work.
5. Musk is often a colossal twat when he strays from his areas of expertise.
6. Unsworth was probably stressed and tired before the twatmeister intervened with an ignorant and dangerous rescue concept.
7. Maybe Unsworth was pretty irritated at Musk for trying to grab some glory.

When it comes to blame here I'm rating it 99-1 on Musk's side.
Phrasing?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 08:50 PM   #568
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Musk cast the first stone two days prior when he denigrated the official in charge of the rescue operation on Twitter, calling his competence and status into question for no other reason than that the official had said in response to a press question that they decided not to use the sub because it was "impractical".
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2018, 09:37 PM   #569
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

So has Musk released the video of how his sub would have worked yet?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 04:31 AM   #570
Information Analyst
Philosopher

I can't see any world where the diver's comments would go unnoticed except this forum.
Once he started using anal references for another man who was also bringing his resources and ideas to the party,he crossed a line, but he gets a leave pass because he helped rescue the kids?
His exact words were that Musk, "can stick his submarine where it hurts." I daresay a submarine in the eye or ear would hurt. Responding with an accusation of peadophilia is many magnitudes higher on the scale of insults.

Last edited by Information Analyst; 17th July 2018 at 04:32 AM.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 04:36 AM   #571
Samson
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
His exact words were that Musk, "can stick his submarine where it hurts." I daresay a submarine in the eye or ear would hurt. Responding with an accusation of peadophilia is many magnitudes higher on the scale of insults.
My homework is incomplete, so I provisionally withdraw my conclusions, but there is a thread bias to minimise the insult by the British diver and maximise that of the South African/American trailblazer.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 04:40 AM   #572
Information Analyst
Philosopher

My homework is incomplete, so I provisionally withdraw my conclusions, but there is a thread bias to minimise the insult by the British diver and maximise that of the South African/American trailblazer.
No minimisation or maximisation is needed. Someone being told to "stick/shove" something is self-evidently exceptionally minor in comparison to calling someone a paedophile.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 06:24 AM   #573
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
So has Musk released the video of how his sub would have worked yet?
The claim was bluster to cover his embarrassment. If he proves me wrong I'll donate £100 to a recognised charity.
Old 17th July 2018, 07:20 AM   #574
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

The only bias is a bias towards reality. Saying that someone can stick something somewhere painful, or where the sun doesn't shine, is a well-established, fairly mild, expression of one's opinion of the thing in question, and, to a lesser extent, of the person. Calling someone a paedophile is a serious allegation and slanderous if not true.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:28 AM   #575
Arcade22
Philosopher

Has he apologized yet?
Old 17th July 2018, 07:31 AM   #576
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
The only bias is a bias towards reality. Saying that someone can stick something somewhere painful, or where the sun doesn't shine, is a well-established, fairly mild, expression of one's opinion of the thing in question, and, to a lesser extent, of the person.
And yet it is still very much uncivil. Here on ISF you break the civility rule if you tell another member to shove it where it hurts. Yellow card.
Old 17th July 2018, 08:04 AM   #577
GlennB

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
And yet it is still very much uncivil. Here on ISF you break the civility rule if you tell another member to shove it where it hurts. Yellow card.
I'd guess that calling someone a 'pedo' would result in an instant banning.
Old 17th July 2018, 08:32 AM   #578
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I'd guess that calling someone a 'pedo' would result in an instant banning.
I recollect some thread(s) here where a person(s) was called a pedo based on their position on some topic or support for someone. No banning.
Old 17th July 2018, 09:34 AM   #579
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

It would very much depend on context, and exactly what was said.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 10:29 AM   #580
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, but that's not going to hurt, like a real live submarine would.
Old 17th July 2018, 10:52 AM   #581
isissxn
Rough Around the Edges

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Yeah, but that's not going to hurt, like a real live submarine would.
Stop, I'm getting excited.
isissxn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 11:58 AM   #582
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
It would very much depend on context, and exactly what was said.
No, it doesn't. Using a colloquial expression to call somebody a jerk is one thing; accusing him of a terrible crime is something else. No "context" excuses that.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 12:38 PM   #583
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
No, it doesn't. Using a colloquial expression to call somebody a jerk is one thing; accusing him of a terrible crime is something else. No "context" excuses that.
I think you need to re-read the post I was replying to.
Old 17th July 2018, 01:49 PM   #584
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I'm NOT looking to excuse Elon, especially after doubling down; and he should have watched his language in the first place, so...

Is it possible that South African colloquialisms include "pedo boy" the way we Americans have long thrown around the epithet "faggot"?

It's a phrase/wording I've never heard, so I have to ask.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 17th July 2018 at 01:55 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 02:50 PM   #585
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

So ignoring Musk's bizarre behavior, is there actually any problem with the sub? In the photos, it appears very small and is said to be only 12.2" in diameter. I can't imagine the stretcher they used was much smaller.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 05:33 PM   #586
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
So ignoring Musk's bizarre behavior, is there actually any problem with the sub? In the photos, it appears very small and is said to be only 12.2" in diameter. I can't imagine the stretcher they used was much smaller.
I guess we'll find out when Musk releases the video he said he was going to release.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 05:56 PM   #587
Elagabalus
Illuminator

It still could work but its usage be impractical since, having only one, they would not be able to daisy-chain/production line the kids. Sending the torpedo all the way back into the cave (which takes just as long) to pick up another kid. One kid per day with the water rising?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 06:46 PM   #588
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
It still could work but its usage be impractical since, having only one, they would not be able to daisy-chain/production line the kids. Sending the torpedo all the way back into the cave (which takes just as long) to pick up another kid. One kid per day with the water rising?
A lot of people thought the kids might be stuck there for months, until the end of the rainy season. In that time frame, one per day seemed reasonable.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2018, 07:58 PM   #589
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
A lot of people thought the kids might be stuck there for months, until the end of the rainy season. In that time frame, one per day seemed reasonable.
Until the rains came and the water started to rise, making a fast resolution of the situation more and more important.

- Randall Munroe
Old 17th July 2018, 09:07 PM   #590
Zambo
Thinker

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
It didn't take long to make, more could have been sent but by that time the rescue method had been decided.
Zambo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 12:11 AM   #591
GlennB

Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
The rescue team said it would have been too long to get round some of the bends in the tunnel. Also the escape route was mainly dry ground and the sub would have added to the weight that had to be carried. The sub was stated to weigh around 90lbs.

It certainly looks like more than 5' long and 12.2" diameter, but there's no good reference object in this photo.

eta: and the photos of it in the pool show an air tank and other equipment strapped to its side, adding to the diameter and I'd guess at serious risk of snagging. It would also be very difficult to get a kid out of it in a hurry if there were a problem.

It's a clever idea, but ill-judged and unwanted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elonsub_ext2.jpg (127.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg sub in pool.jpg (42.5 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by GlennB; 18th July 2018 at 12:48 AM. Reason: added photo
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 12:24 AM   #592
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It seems inaccurate to refer to that object as a submarine, really. Rescue pod or capsule would better describe it.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 02:46 AM   #593
angrysoba
Philosophile

Unsworth’s first of expertise is instrumental in rescuing the boys on the cave. Who gives a crap about Musk’s “ambitions” in this case? His ambitions are worthless.

And what do you suppose “pedo” means apart from being a “pedophile”? And if Musk’s tweets were so deserving of approbation and weren’t libelous, why do you think Musk deleted them?

Musk will do one of two things now:
Apologize profusely and unequivocally and/or
Get sued.
Well, he has apologized unequivocally now:
Elon Musk apologises to Thai cave diver for Twitter attack http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44870303
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 03:06 AM   #594
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Well, he has apologized unequivocally now:
Elon Musk apologises to Thai cave diver for Twitter attack http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44870303
Still being a bit of dick, given the strange wording of his "apology":

"As this well-written article suggests, my words were spoken in anger after Mr. Unsworth said several untruths & suggested I engage in a sexual act with the mini-sub, which had been built as an act of kindness & according to specifications from the dive team leader."

As has be mostly established, being told to "stick" or "shove" something isn't polite, but few would interpret it in the way Musk is claiming to. If that was genuinely his immediate interpretation, that might explain the escalation in his response, but it still seems a pretty weird first thought.
Old 18th July 2018, 03:17 AM   #595
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

..., but few would interpret it in the way Musk is claiming to.
And you were doing so well up to that point. SMH.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 03:55 AM   #596
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I'm sure Samson will be back to acknowledge that Musk said exactly what many of us here, said.

Quote:
"His actions against me do not justify my actions against him, and for that I apologize to Mr. Unsworth and to the companies I represent as leader. The fault is mine and mine alone."

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 04:23 AM   #597
Arcade22
Philosopher

"As this well-written article suggests, my words were spoken in anger after Mr. Unsworth said several untruths & suggested I engage in a sexual act with the mini-sub, which had been built as an act of kindness & according to specifications from the dive team leader."

As has be mostly established, being told to "stick" or "shove" something isn't polite, but few would interpret it in the way Musk is claiming to. If that was genuinely his immediate interpretation, that might explain the escalation in his response, but it still seems a pretty weird first thought.
By the same reasoning saying "go **** yourself" would be telling them to go masturbate.
Old 18th July 2018, 04:40 AM   #598
Samson
Philosopher

It is my first thought, and everyone who responds. It is unequivocal and inarguable, it is an anal suggestion.
And never, not ever, designed to continue a happy dialogue.
I am astonished at the obfuscation on the thread.

Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 11

Last edited by kmortis; 19th July 2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 18th July 2018, 05:31 AM   #599
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

It is my first thought, and everyone who responds. It is unequivocal and inarguable, it is an anal suggestion.
I was given a suppository once, by consent, and never realised that I was engaged in an unequivocally and inarguably sexual act.
bluesjnr is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 05:58 AM   #600
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
I was given a suppository once, by consent, and never realised that I was engaged in an unequivocally and inarguably sexual act.
And that's why, in English, "anal' and "sexual" are not synonyms (though he did "shove it up your ass").
What the hell dude?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events