ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Alex Acosta , court cases , Jeffrey Epstein , Kenneth Marra , politics scandals , sexual abuse cases , Trump administration

Old 21st February 2019, 03:20 PM   #1
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Labor Secretary Alex Acosta Violated the Rights of the Victims of Jeffrey Epstein

Labor Secretary Alex Acosta, other federal prosecutors violated the rights of Jeffrey Epstein's sex-crime victims, judge rules

Quote:
Federal prosecutors, including current Labor Secretary Alex Acosta, violated the rights of sex criminal Jeffrey Epstein's victims during their investigation of the once-influential financier a decade ago, a judge ruled on Thursday.

U.S. District Judge Kenneth Marra slammed the government for failing to notify Epstein's victims that it had reached a non-prosecution agreement with Epstein while leading those victims to believe that federal charges were still a possibility.

"It was a material omission for the Government to suggest to the victims that they have patience relative to an investigation about which it had already bound itself not to prosecute," Marra wrote in a 33-page opinion.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 03:25 PM   #2
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

This is going to be an interesting process to watch play out.

It's not the first time the justice system worked differently for a connected and/or wealthy defendant, but it may be the first time someone from the prosecution side ended up in front of a judge to answer for it.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:23 PM   #3
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I read the linked article without finding our what the victims lost? Did the delay in them learning of the non-prosecution cost them a civil case? Statute of limitations? Or merely delayed their filing of a civil suit, so had to wait longer for their winnings? Lack of "speedy trial" count in civil suites?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 04:25 PM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
I read the linked article without finding our what the victims lost? Did the delay in them learning of the non-prosecution cost them a civil case? Statute of limitations? Or merely delayed their filing of a civil suit, so had to wait longer for their winnings? Lack of "speedy trial" count in civil suites?
Biased much?
Old 21st February 2019, 11:16 PM   #5
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Some of what they lost was seeing the despicable scumbag who sexually abused them going to jail as he so thoroughly deserved.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 11:20 PM   #6
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Some of what they lost was seeing the despicable scumbag who sexually abused them going to jail as he so thoroughly deserved.
[sarcasm] Those filthy lying leftist sluts deserved it [end sarcasm]
Old 21st February 2019, 11:33 PM   #7
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
[sarcasm] Those filthy lying leftist sluts deserved it [end sarcasm]
Yeah, I guess that is what he/she was getting at.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2019, 11:38 PM   #8
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Yeah, I guess that is what he/she was getting at.
Interesting how these USAian conservatives are all for swift and hard justice, unless the victim was a woman, right?
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:07 AM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Interesting how these USAian conservatives are all for swift and hard justice, unless the victim was a woman, right?
Even worse, these victims were 40, young, under-aged girls!

It is worth noting that what these girls also lost was the opportunity to object to the non-prosecution order because Acosta and his prosecutors illegally kept it secret.
Old 22nd February 2019, 12:22 AM   #10
Lambchops
Graduate Poster

Even worse, these victims were 40, young, under-aged girls!

It is worth noting that what these girls also lost was the opportunity to object to the non-prosecution order because Acosta and his prosecutors illegally kept it secret.
Ah, "The shining beacon on the hill".

What a joke.
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:07 PM   #11
mgidm86
Philosopher

The guy has friends in high places. Bill Clinton and Donald Trump are his buddies, and Clinton has spent a lot of time on Epstein's plane ("The Lolita" no less) where he (Epstein, but of course not Bill I'm sure) reportedly screws underage girls.

I don't know if Trump ever actually spent time with the guy, but anyone who does, certainly Bill - well it doesn't look good. So I'm gonna guess Epstein had help from above (his friends in high places). Maybe a lot of dirt that a lot of people do not want exposed.

Bill and Hillary are also good friends with Anthony Weiner, a known perv who has a thing for children. Bill sure surrounds himself with some lurid folk! Then again he's been accused of rape himself. I think Bill is one sick dude.

Trump may be right there with him on all counts, who knows. It wouldn't shock me I guess. He's certainly been accused of a lot.

This isn't about conservatives hating on underage girls getting raped or assaulted. That is beyond absurd. There is more to some decisions than left vs right. Anyone can be a pig and my guess is that a lot of politicians are. The right has no monopoly on scumbags. I wonder who else has flown in The Lolita?

If there is a conspiracy or shenanigans it's probably about Epstein's buddies in government worried about their own asses. Or he could have simply bribed some people.

Who knows.

Last edited by mgidm86; 22nd February 2019 at 03:09 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2019, 03:40 PM   #12
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
The guy has friends in high places. Bill Clinton and Donald Trump are his buddies, and Clinton has spent a lot of time on Epstein's plane ("The Lolita" no less) where he (Epstein, but of course not Bill I'm sure) reportedly screws underage girls.

I don't know if Trump ever actually spent time with the guy, but anyone who does, certainly Bill - well it doesn't look good. So I'm gonna guess Epstein had help from above (his friends in high places). Maybe a lot of dirt that a lot of people do not want exposed.

Bill and Hillary are also good friends with Anthony Weiner, a known perv who has a thing for children. Bill sure surrounds himself with some lurid folk! Then again he's been accused of rape himself. I think Bill is one sick dude.

Trump may be right there with him on all counts, who knows. It wouldn't shock me I guess. He's certainly been accused of a lot.

This isn't about conservatives hating on underage girls getting raped or assaulted. That is beyond absurd. There is more to some decisions than left vs right. Anyone can be a pig and my guess is that a lot of politicians are. The right has no monopoly on scumbags. I wonder who else has flown in The Lolita?

If there is a conspiracy or shenanigans it's probably about Epstein's buddies in government worried about their own asses. Or he could have simply bribed some people.

Who knows.
Everyone is speculating which is what gets us all in trouble. This plea agreement took place in 2007 so it's unlikely Epstein got such an absurd plea bargain because of Clinton.
Saying Bill surrounds himself with some "lurid folk" is kind of absurd considering that he was POTUS and he is one of the most gregarious outgoing person you're ever going to meet. Pretty much EVERYONE found him charming, even his biggest political enemies.
Yes, Clinton knew him and had socialized with Epstein on a few occasions. I've read that Trump did as well. But what does that mean for either of them? Probably not much.

I'm more interested on how Epstein got such a sweet deal. The article I read said he was instrumental in resolving a very important case and that's why they did it. But considering what Epstein did, what could have been more important than what he did? I really want to know what he helped with but, that's under seal.
Education, not epiphanies
Intellect, not ignorance.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics