ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Amber Guyger , Dallas incidents , murder cases , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents , Texas cases

Closed Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 06:52 AM   #681
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm saying you wouldn't be making excuses if the outcome had been reversed even though every single bull **** excuse you've vomited out would apply just the same. If Guyver had been the one dead at the end of the altercation you wouldn't be obsessed with Jean's state of mind. You wouldn't been looking for a reason it was okay. Period.

We've had dozens of threads where your "Mistake of Fact" fetish would have manifested if it was honest. It didn't manifest until this one. There's a reason.

Write fan fiction about the criticism of your original fan fiction on your own time.

NM. Not worth it.

Last edited by Distracted1; 6th September 2019 at 06:53 AM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 06:53 AM   #682
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Cute. And rather lacking in self awareness since "But the law says the black guy had to die, I'm not being racist I'm just arguing the law" has been your entire character arc in this thread.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 06:58 AM   #683
Drewbot
Philosopher

I'm saying you wouldn't be making excuses if the outcome had been reversed even though every single bull **** excuse you've vomited out would apply just the same. If Guyver had been the one dead at the end of the altercation you wouldn't be obsessed with Jean's state of mind. You wouldn't been looking for a reason it was okay. Period.
Why do you keep bringing race into this?

You know that people in here who are trying to predict what will happen are not racists. But you throw this label in here like you are trying to sway our opinion, by making us think "Oh no JoeMorgue thinks we're racist so we better start thinking his way."

I won't fall for your tactic. However I will say that if Guyger was the one who was shot, this wouldn't even be going to court. It would be a classic castle doctrine defense and they wouldn't be charging Jean.

There are no other cases like this. Why can't you just talk about the possible outcomes without trying to paint us as racists?
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 06:59 AM   #684
Drewbot
Philosopher

NM. Not worth it.
Calls you racist, you back out, he wins.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 07:03 AM   #685
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Why do you keep bringing race into this?
Because when black people shoot white cops I haven't seen one person demand the conversation come to a screeching halt while we determine how tired they were and whether they mistook the white cop for a deer.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 07:16 AM   #686
Drewbot
Philosopher

Because when black people shoot white cops I haven't seen one person demand the conversation come to a screeching halt while we determine how tired they were and whether they mistook the white cop for a deer.
Example case plz?
Old 6th September 2019, 07:25 AM   #687
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Example case plz?
You want an example of someone NOT doing something?
Old 6th September 2019, 07:34 AM   #688
Drewbot
Philosopher

The case you are referring to, where the racists didn't demand the conversation come to a complete stop when the black person shot a white cop.
Old 6th September 2019, 07:36 AM   #689
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

The case you are referring to, where the racists didn't demand the conversation come to a complete stop when the black person shot a white cop.
Not playing this game. You know damn well at some point in the vast history of American legal cases "I was tired and made a mistake" came up before this one case and the "But whattabout MISTAKeS OF FACT!" fandom didn't make any noise about any of them.

You want to stall until I spoon feed you? Fine. Every no-knock warrant shooting of a police officer ever.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th September 2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 6th September 2019, 07:36 AM   #690
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
I'm sorry, I've tried to ignore it, but I just can't any more.

It's Guyger.

Not Guyver.

Guyger.
Oh God, thank you so much. You guys GUYGER!!!!!!

And forget about what it will be like when the victims' (possibly altered) state of mind is added as a likely qualifier.
I'll give you a pass on the blatant well poisoning, just because your argument needs all the help it can get; however, I would like to point out that you're making a completely bull **** excuse here. You're excusing Guyger's state of mind (possibly altered) because she's been awake so long, but you seem to be using Jean's against him. He's in his own house, and if he was doing any drugs at all, it would have been ******* weed, dood. Have you ever done weed? Do you know the effects of weed on the human mind? It is rarely, Rarely, RARELY, EVER violent, or able to provide quick reflexes. Your thinly veiled victim blaming is getting thinner every single second.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I don't. She had many opportunities to realise her mistake before coming in, including, and this is the killer one for me, a big red mat in front of the door.
Let us not forget that there was also a lit up sign right next to the door with the apartment number on it, and multiple reports that there are several notifications of what floor you're on during the lengthy walk to the apartment.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 07:38 AM   #691
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
MISTAKE OF FACT! MISTAKE OF FACT! MISTAKE OF FACT! IF THINK HER NAME IS MACGYVER HER GODDAMN NAME LITERALLY BECOMES MACGYVER AS A STATE OF UNDENIABLE FACT!
Old 6th September 2019, 07:38 AM   #692
plague311
Great minds think...

MISTAKE OF FACT! MISTAKE OF FACT! MISTAKE OF FACT! IF THINK HER NAME IS MACGYVER HER GODDAMN NAME LITERALLY BECOMES MACGYVER AS A STATE OF UNDENIABLE FACT!
Fine, Joe, FINE. You can shoot MacGuyver. Deal?

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 07:40 AM   #693
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Does he have prep time? Because if he does I probably can't.
Old 6th September 2019, 07:48 AM   #694
plague311
Great minds think...

Does he have prep time? Because if he does I probably can't.
Have you tried walking into his apartment while he's relaxed and shooting him then? Seems to work for others.

Old 6th September 2019, 07:49 AM   #695
Belz...
Fiend God

Shoot MacGyver? You've never watched the show, have you? This isn't going to end well for Joe.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 07:49 AM   #696
Drewbot
Philosopher

Not playing this game. You know damn well at some point in the vast history of American legal cases "I was tired and made a mistake" came up before this one case and the "But whattabout MISTAKeS OF FACT!" fandom didn't make any noise about any of them.

You want to stall until I spoon feed you? Fine. Every no-knock warrant shooting of a police officer ever.
I've literally never heard of a defense of I was tired and went in the wrong apartment before.

Now you are saying every black man who shot a cop executing a no-nock warrant, is comparable to someone entering the wrong apartment?

I don't know how to respond to your race-baiting.
Old 6th September 2019, 07:52 AM   #697
Drewbot
Philosopher

NOTICE: If you are interested in how this trial will play out, and you think there are certain trial scenarios where the jury will not convict Amber Guyger. Then you are racist.

Joe Morgue has so ordained.
Old 6th September 2019, 07:54 AM   #698
plague311
Great minds think...

I've literally never heard of a defense of I was tired and went in the wrong apartment before.

Now you are saying every black man who shot a cop executing a no-nock warrant, is comparable to someone entering the wrong apartment?

I don't know how to respond to your race-baiting.
Try logically readi....oooohhhh you almost got me.

If someone blasts into your place on a no-knock warrant (which I'd assume, without evidence, are used more on black people than white), and you shoot them thinking that they are an intruder. That person that shot the cop will go to prison or be put to death by the federal government. They don't get to use "mistake of fact". You're welcome.

Shoot MacGyver? You've never watched the show, have you? This isn't going to end well for Joe.
True, he could always shoot the next door neighbor and claim mistake of fact. It seems to be a catchall now days.

Old 6th September 2019, 07:55 AM   #699
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Maybe because it's insane and stupid to even consider?

I get what you're doing now. You're going to demand I give you an example of this exact scenario, when my entire point is this entire scenario is so absurd that of course the law bloody never had a precedent for it.
Old 6th September 2019, 07:55 AM   #700
Belz...
Fiend God

NOTICE: If you are interested in how this trial will play out, and you think there are certain trial scenarios where the jury will not convict Amber Guyger. Then you are racist.

You know the rest of us can read the thread too, right?

Joe's complaining about people making excuses for her when they otherwise wouldn't, presumably because she's a cop. The racist part comes from the assumption, perhaps unfounded, that such defense would not be heard if the shooter had been a black guy and the victim a white woman, for instance.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 07:56 AM   #701
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

You're gonna need a stronger argument then "BUT UR PLAYING DA RACE CARD!"

I like how I'm now a SJW White Knight again. I'm soon I'll be racist in another discussion any day now.
Old 6th September 2019, 08:08 AM   #702
Drewbot
Philosopher

You're gonna need a stronger argument then "BUT UR PLAYING DA RACE CARD!"
You're going to need a stronger argument than ACTUALLY playing the race card, to get me to stop talking about the case.
Old 6th September 2019, 08:10 AM   #703
plague311
Great minds think...

You're going to need a stronger argument than ACTUALLY playing the race card, to get me to stop talking about the case.
No one is trying to get you to stop talking about the case. Mocking your arguments is still welcoming more conversation.

Old 6th September 2019, 08:12 AM   #704
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Nobody can keep you from talking about the case.

This case. This one particular case. And only this one particular case.

You can't keep other people from NOTICING THAT.
Old 6th September 2019, 08:13 AM   #705
Distracted1
Illuminator

Maybe because it's insane and stupid to even consider?

I get what you're doing now. You're going to demand I give you an example of this exact scenario, when my entire point is this entire scenario is so absurd that of course the law bloody never had a precedent for it.
Removed. Was a response to a different post.

Last edited by Distracted1; 6th September 2019 at 08:14 AM.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 08:14 AM   #706
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Removed, what I was responding to was (honestly and I respect that) corrected.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 6th September 2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 6th September 2019, 08:15 AM   #707
Distracted1
Illuminator

I'll give you a pass on the blatant well poisoning, just because your argument needs all the help it can get; however, I would like to point out that you're making a completely bull **** excuse here. You're excusing Guyger's state of mind (possibly altered) because she's been awake so long, but you seem to be using Jean's against him. He's in his own house, and if he was doing any drugs at all, it would have been ******* weed, dood. Have you ever done weed? Do you know the effects of weed on the human mind? It is rarely, Rarely, RARELY, EVER violent, or able to provide quick reflexes. Your thinly veiled victim blaming is getting thinner every single second.

Let us not forget that there was also a lit up sign right next to the door with the apartment number on it, and multiple reports that there are several notifications of what floor you're on during the lengthy walk to the apartment.
I have made nearly 100 posts in this thread. Perhaps you can point to a single one wherein I used an argument of "sleepiness" to Guygers defense.

As to "well poisoning", there was weed in the apartment. When high (if he was) it can take a little longer to react to someone shouting something like "police officer!" and to formulate and articulate a response- especially when it comes right out of the blue
Old 6th September 2019, 08:15 AM   #708
Drewbot
Philosopher

No one is trying to get you to stop talking about the case. Mocking your arguments is still welcoming more conversation.
Well, I would direct you to this post by Joe Morgue:

Quote:

We've had dozens of threads where your "Mistake of Fact" fetish would have manifested if it was honest. It didn't manifest until this one. There's a reason.

Write fan fiction about the criticism of your original fan fiction on your own time.
The highlighted portion is directing The Racist Fan-Fiction writers, to talk about the case on their own time. Do you wish to retract?
Old 6th September 2019, 08:17 AM   #709
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well, I would direct you to this post by Joe Morgue
Jesus Christ get over it. A little bit of snark is not a Royal Decree. You can put away the Guy Fawkes mask and the "I WILL NOT BE SILENCED!" attitude.
Old 6th September 2019, 08:17 AM   #710
Distracted1
Illuminator

Joe's complaining about people making excuses for her when they otherwise wouldn't, presumably because she's a cop. The racist part comes from the assumption, perhaps unfounded, that such defense would not be heard if the shooter had been a black guy and the victim a white woman, for instance.
She has made her own excuses. The discussion is the validity of them.
Old 6th September 2019, 08:22 AM   #711
Belz...
Fiend God

She has made her own excuses. The discussion is the validity of them.
Are you seriously suggesting that no one arguing in favour of those excuses was doing anything but being devil's advocate?

Old 6th September 2019, 08:24 AM   #712
Drewbot
Philosopher

I would maintain, that in a city like Dallas, where there has been much coverage of the racism in the city, that if the police officer was black, and the victim was a white woman, the prosecutor might have not even charged the officer.

Ideally, we would like to come to a place where both scenarios would have the same charges brought or not brought.
Old 6th September 2019, 08:25 AM   #713
plague311
Great minds think...

I have made nearly 100 posts in this thread. Perhaps you can point to a single one wherein I used an argument of "sleepiness" to Guygers defense.
If you have never once in this thread defended the "mistake of fact", then I will absolutely apologize. I'll dig through the thread, since I've got some time today, just for S's and G's. The mistake of fact premise is based on her being tired, and having a long day at work of at least 16 hours.

As to "well poisoning", there was weed in the apartment. When high (if he was) it can take a little longer to react to someone shouting something like "police officer!" and to formulate and articulate a response- especially when it comes right out of the blue
He shouldn't have ******* had to respond to any commands. She also never said, "Police Officer", and this also is counter to what you're claiming. He can't have been a threat if he were stoned off his ass, and had delayed movement as you implied.

Also, per this article, I don't think her defense is going to work all that well. It was actually the Grand Jury that upgraded the charges in this case, not the DA.

Quote:
Initially, then-Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson presented a manslaughter case to a grand jury. But jurors upgraded the charge to murder, which Johnson said indicated that they felt Guyger's actions were "knowing" or intentional.
I would bet that there is something we're missing.

Old 6th September 2019, 08:26 AM   #714
plague311
Great minds think...

I would maintain, that in a city like Dallas, where there has been much coverage of the racism in the city, that if the police officer was black, and the victim was a white woman, the prosecutor might have not even charged the officer.

Ideally, we would like to come to a place where both scenarios would have the same charges brought or not brought.
I would maintain that this is completely nonsensical and there is absolutely no evidence at all to back it up. Then again, I use logic and reason. It's not everyone's forte.

Old 6th September 2019, 08:41 AM   #715
Thermal
Philosopher

Try logically readi....oooohhhh you almost got me.

If someone blasts into your place on a no-knock warrant (which I'd assume, without evidence, are used more on black people than white), and you shoot them thinking that they are an intruder. That person that shot the cop will go to prison or be put to death by the federal government. They don't get to use "mistake of fact". You're welcome.
You got me curious, so I checked. Here's the first two cases that came up on my search:

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...ses-to-indict/

https://newsmaven.io/pinacnews/eye-o...Ui9Q0___1p4XA/

Both no-knocks in Texas. Both times occupant shot officers. Both walked away.

Yee hah.
Old 6th September 2019, 08:44 AM   #716
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Are you seriously suggesting that no one arguing in favour of those excuses was doing anything but being devil's advocate?
I am unaware of any posters in this thread who want her to move to their complex. In fact, Thermal and I have both been clear that she should be locked up as a murderer, even if we are not confident that she will. I think some others have a similar position as it has been roundly derided by some as "having it both ways", rather than just being honest.

Is there anyone in this thread who thinks that she should walk free of any punishment, without any reference to the local laws, just as a matter of how the world would work if they were King?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 6th September 2019 at 08:46 AM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 08:45 AM   #717
Distracted1
Illuminator

I would maintain that this is completely nonsensical and there is absolutely no evidence at all to back it up. Then again, I use logic and reason. It's not everyone's forte.
Weed in the apartment does not count as evidence?
Kudos on the logic and reason.
Old 6th September 2019, 08:46 AM   #718
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh, no no. That the perp is a police officer has to be removed in the hypothetical.

Old 6th September 2019, 08:47 AM   #719
Distracted1
Illuminator

If you have never once in this thread defended the "mistake of fact", then I will absolutely apologize. I'll dig through the thread, since I've got some time today, just for S's and G's. The mistake of fact premise is based on her being tired, and having a long day at work of at least 16 hours.

He shouldn't have ******* had to respond to any commands. She also never said, "Police Officer", and this also is counter to what you're claiming. He can't have been a threat if he were stoned off his ass, and had delayed movement as you implied.

Also, per this article, I don't think her defense is going to work all that well. It was actually the Grand Jury that upgraded the charges in this case, not the DA.

I would bet that there is something we're missing.
The "mistake of fact" is based upon the reasonableness of the mistake.
Whilst being tired may be a factor- it is not a necessary one to make the argument.
Old 6th September 2019, 08:47 AM   #720
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Is there anyone in this thread who thinks that she should walk free of any punishment, without any reference to the local laws, just as a matter of how the world would work if they were King?
That isn't Joe's claim or point.

Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events