ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Old 20th June 2019, 01:34 PM   #121
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by p0lka View Post
This.
Especially the highlighted.

Why do girls get the princess pink fluffy wuffy stuff, why can't boys play with dolls and fluffy wuffy stuff too?
etc etc etc.

Gender is what we are pressured to do as we grow up, I would like to see what would happen if we weren't.

This whole gender self focus thing might just disappear as no one would care anymore, be yourself... the stereotypes have gone.
What drove it home for me, and I've mentioned this before probably in this thread, was when Target both got rid of gendered toys (i.e. no longer had distinct, labeled "boys" and "girls" toy sections in its stores) and implemented a policy of "You can use the bathroom of the gender of your choosing" for it's store restroom.

Does anyone else notice that those two problems... use the other problem as their solution in a perfect loop?

Gender Role 1: "Certain toys are being labeled for boys and girls.
Solution: "Get rid of the labeling."

Gender Role 2: "Bathrooms are labeled via biological sex, not gender."
Solution: "Keep the labeling, but let people choose which label applies to them."

Why not tell the little boys and girls in the toy aisle "We'll keep the boys and girls labels, but it's okay because you can just identify as whatever gender you want." Why is that the problem for one thing but the solution for the other and vice versa?
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 01:48 PM   #122
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
In my mental image I'm 6"4, have 1% body fat, and a much stronger jawline. I'm not asking, demanding, or expecting anyone to literally think that's what I look like.

"Mental image" isn't magically different when its about sex. It's functionally no different from "I would like to be."
The desire to have sex with a man is not magically different from the desire to have sex with a typewriter, but it's much more plausible that the former is rooted in neuroanatomical structures than the latter.

Similarly, it's plausible that gender identity is rooted in neuroanatomy, while it's not especially plausible that the desire to be a teapot is.

We do not need to postulate magical differences to acknowledge differences in kind.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 01:49 PM   #123
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by 8enotto View Post
I was working on a car as I read this earlier. I thought this was funny.
Nice!

There was a bloke I know recently posted that he was tired because he'd up all night with a tranny.

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yes everyone has unique medical issues but why does someone other than their doctor care and why does someones risk of breast cancer effect what bathroom they use?
Nice way to miss the entire point, which was that the world has much bigger issues than bathrooms.

Women like Rolfe don't want the trans women in the women's toilets, the trans women don't want to use the men's toilets...

I now believe the best answer to that conundrum is to completely ignore it and concentrate on the more important aspects. As it is, lawmakers are siding with the trans women, so women will just need to learn to get over it.

So to speak.

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Are we just going to build a world of bathrooms so everyone will feel comfy?
More than likely, yes.

I'd advise going long on bathroom company shares.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
If there's a strong evidence for transexuality there is strong evidence between the sexes, period.
I do hope that was deliberate.
Old 20th June 2019, 02:14 PM   #124
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Semenya is a male with partial androgen insensitivity. She was mistakenly believed to be female when she was born because her ambiguous genitalia bore a closer resemblance to female genitalia than to male. Society in general and the sports authorities in particular are still trying to figure out what to do about all this.
If she has an androgen insensitivity, then I can't say I understand all the attention to her testosterone levels.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 03:13 PM   #125
JihadJane
not a camel

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post

Similarly, it's plausible that gender identity is rooted in neuroanatomy, while it's not especially plausible that the desire to be a teapot is.
Why not?
Old 20th June 2019, 03:21 PM   #126
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
Why not?
Because there's a plausible evolutionary account for neuroanatomical basis of gender identity. We haven't had teapots (or western beauty standards, or apache helicopters, or whatever else people wish to come up with) long enough for that to be the case.

Last edited by mumblethrax; 20th June 2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 20th June 2019, 03:34 PM   #127
d4m10n
Illuminator

Since we drifted back onto sport there for a second, I'd like to offer up a quick hypothetical.

Suppose a hitherto unknown sport (e.g. pickleball) became widely popular and suddenly found themselves in a position to formulate rules for their two separate leagues. One league is open class, the other one is set aside for people who have never enjoyed the virilizing effects of androgens. Suppose further that the International Council of Pickleballers went with a relatively simple rule, such as "if you have the SRYWP gene, you are eligible for play in the open league, but not the restricted league." What objections would you raise, if any?
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 03:40 PM   #128
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
We know they had a miscarriage, and we know that there seems to have been some initial confusion about the hospital's treatment regimen as a result of their trans status. It seems apparent that fetal distress was already in progress when they presented themselves to the hospital

But as far as I could determine from the articles I read, there was nothing which established that any different treatment regimen would have prevented the miscarriage or substantially changed any outcomes.

That's all conjecture.
I noted that as well. We can't know what the outcome would have been if she had said she was a woman in labor instead of a man in labor.

On the other hand, the whole point of the article in the New England Journal of Medicine was that as a result of the gender/sex confusion, things were done differently, and the author of the paper believed that this created elevated risk, and that in the future, the hospitals needed to change the way they do things in order to keep people safe.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 03:48 PM   #129
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Suppose further that the International Council of Pickleballers went with a relatively simple rule, such as "if you have the SRYWP gene, you are eligible for play in the open league, but not the restricted league." What objections would you raise, if any?
If I were committed to existence of separate pickleball leagues, I would point out the existence of SRY-negative androgen-sensitive XX males. I would also argue that currently competing atheletes should be grandfathered in with any rule change, since they trained and competed in good faith under the rules previously established by the ICP itself.

I'm sympathetic to "creative discrimination" in the service of sex-egalitarian participation (I wouldn't be watching the Women's World Cup without it), but athletic bodies are in the unenviable position of trying to come up with an operational definition of "male athlete" or "female athlete" that satisfies our intuitions after the fact, and I suspect that there just isn't one.

Last edited by mumblethrax; 20th June 2019 at 03:57 PM.
Old 20th June 2019, 03:50 PM   #130
d4m10n
Illuminator

If I were committed to existence of separate pickleball leagues, I would point out the existence of SRY-negative androgen-sensitive XX males.
What's that condition called?
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 03:53 PM   #131
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Since we drifted back onto sport there for a second, I'd like to offer up a quick hypothetical.

Suppose a hitherto unknown sport (e.g. pickleball) became widely popular and suddenly found themselves in a position to formulate rules for their two separate leagues. One league is open class, the other one is set aside for people who have never enjoyed the virilizing effects of androgens. Suppose further that the International Council of Pickleballers went with a relatively simple rule, such as "if you have the SRYWP gene, you are eligible for play in the open league, but not the restricted league." What objections would you raise, if any?
I mean, requiring athletes to qualify by publishing personal medical information seems awkward, but not overly so.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 03:54 PM   #132
mumblethrax
Species traitor

What's that condition called?
XX male syndromeWP. About 10% of those with the condition are SRY-negative.
Old 20th June 2019, 03:56 PM   #133
d4m10n
Illuminator

Perfect, thanks!

ETA: Probably I'd advise the pickleballers just let this one go.

Individuals who are 46,XX male, SRY-negative, and identify as women are exceedingly rare.

Last edited by d4m10n; 20th June 2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 20th June 2019, 05:45 PM   #134
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Perfect, thanks!

Individuals who are 46,XX male, SRY-negative, and identify as women are exceedingly rare.
So are elite athletes. We should expect people with advantageous intersex conditions to be wildly over represented among high-ranking women (and they are).
Old 20th June 2019, 05:46 PM   #135
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

That all seems right to me; it explains (rather than contradicts) what I wrote about the need to put in a bit of wiggle room when inferring karyotype from phenotype.

In terms of inferring genotype from phenotype I don't think we'd get Semenya wrong, but we might get a woman with adrenal hyperplasia wrong, right enough.
Old 20th June 2019, 05:50 PM   #136
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
JWomen with Swyer syndrome have neither testes nor ovaries. They do have a uterus, however, and can become pregnant through implantation of donor eggs.

Which sports team should they be on?
Which bathroom should they use?
Women with Swyer syndrome, should they be athletic, should be on women's teams. Men with Swyer syndrome , should they be athletic, should be on men's teams.

The issue here is that people only want to compete if they have an unfair advantage. Men with syndromes readily want to compete in female sports because they will be champions but females with issues that cause them to have male traits don't want to compete against males because they will always lose. We are only talking about men who want to compete against women and, to put it bluntly, **** them.
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 05:50 PM   #137
Rolfe

Just for clarity, do we actually know what condition Semenya has or is it conjecture?

It can be accurately inferred from the recent judgement that was handed down by the CAS.

Does your judgement of her being male apply equally to people with Swyer syndrome?

https://rarediseases.org/rare-diseases/swyer-syndrome/

Women with Swyer syndrome have neither testes nor ovaries. They do have a uterus, however, and can become pregnant through implantation of donor eggs.

Which sports team should they be on?
Which bathroom should they use?

Female. The best concise definition of male is having a functional SRY gene and bioavailable androgens. Swyer syndrome women lack the former and CAIS women lack the latter. (There is a very rare condition I think someone mentions below that is an exception to that, but it covers almost everyone.)
Old 20th June 2019, 05:56 PM   #138
Belz...
Fiend God

Gender roles are BS.
Are they, though? I mean, on principle we should be able to do whatever we want, regardless of sex, but in practice, every society will have some idea of what this or that group's role or behaviour should be like, and that's in no small part due to actual biological differences. It's not surprising that these roles emerge, even differently, in every culture, and it might not actually be a bad thing, even if it sometimes causes harm or stifles one's choices.

I guess I'm saying that it's not that simple.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 05:56 PM   #139
Rolfe

If she has an androgen insensitivity, then I can't say I understand all the attention to her testosterone levels.

PARTIAL androgen insensitivity. Basically she's a disadvantaged male, not an advantaged female. She still has enough sensitivity to androgens to go through male puberty and have a broken voice and run like a man.

If she had complete androgen insensitivity she'd still have a fair chance of being an elite athlete just because such women have a slightly androgynous musculoskeletal system that gives enough of an edge to offset their complete lack of androgen response, but that hasn't in the past been regarded as unfair. The fact that even an androgynous build can confer such an advantage even when effective concentration of testosterone is zero should tell us quite a lot about the fact that testosterone is not the only athletic advantage biological males have over females.
Old 20th June 2019, 06:01 PM   #140
Rolfe

That the SRY gene needs to be functional to disqualify from the restricted league, and that in addition someone with a functional SRY gene who also has complete androgen insensitivity syndrome goes in the restricted league.

There's something else, male XX non-SRY, but I don't know how it's diagnosed so I'm not qualified to write that rule. Maybe you just say if you've been diagnosed as male XX non-SRY you have to be in the open league. It's very rare, but you can bet your bottom dollar that some guy with that condition, seeing the above rule, will spot easy pickings and try to muscle in.
Old 20th June 2019, 06:02 PM   #141
Rolfe

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Women with Swyer syndrome, should they be athletic, should be on women's teams. Men with Swyer syndrome , should they be athletic, should be on men's teams.

The issue here is that people only want to compete if they have an unfair advantage. Men with syndromes readily want to compete in female sports because they will be champions but females with issues that cause them to have male traits don't want to compete against males because they will always lose. We are only talking about men who want to compete against women and, to put it bluntly, **** them.

Everyone with Swyer syndrome is a woman.
Old 20th June 2019, 06:03 PM   #142
Rolfe

If I were committed to existence of separate pickleball leagues, I would point out the existence of SRY-negative androgen-sensitive XX males. I would also argue that currently competing atheletes should be grandfathered in with any rule change, since they trained and competed in good faith under the rules previously established by the ICP itself.

I'm sympathetic to "creative discrimination" in the service of sex-egalitarian participation (I wouldn't be watching the Women's World Cup without it), but athletic bodies are in the unenviable position of trying to come up with an operational definition of "male athlete" or "female athlete" that satisfies our intuitions after the fact, and I suspect that there just isn't one.

Yes, that one. Vanishingly rare, but some bloke will spot his chance if you don't put in a clause about it.
Old 20th June 2019, 06:06 PM   #143
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Are they, though? I mean, on principle we should be able to do whatever we want, regardless of sex
While I'm a big fan of freedom, this framing has a tendency to inhibit giving people a role. And that's not always a good thing. There is value in having a role in society. Yes, some people have a hard time fitting into typical roles, and society should tolerate and accept those who don't. But for most people, having a role they fit into helps ground them, give them a sense of belonging and purpose. And if you just try to abolish roles completely to accommodate those who don't fit them, you do harm to those who benefit from them. And that can be a greater harm.

tl;dr: social roles are a sort of Chesterton's fence. The people knocking them down largely don't know what they're doing.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 06:07 PM   #144
Rolfe

Perfect, thanks!

Not worth it. As soon as there's a loophole, some bloke will slide through. If you leave that one out, as soon as pickleball championships get really lucrative, these guys will be IDing as women before you can say "top prize money". Ban them too. (Or that's roughly what an intersex friend on twitter said to me when I suggested letting that one go!)

So are elite athletes. We should expect people with advantageous intersex conditions to be wildly over represented among high-ranking women (and they are).

Exactly. If it matters, and someone has a chance to game the system, they'll do it. Look at the coaches currently scouting for 46XY PAIS children who have been brought up as girls.

Last edited by Rolfe; 20th June 2019 at 06:09 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 06:14 PM   #145
mumblethrax
Species traitor

PARTIAL androgen insensitivity.
...implies elevated testosterone levels (relative to the typical male) without giving us sufficient understanding about how testosterone is affecting her, rendering the testosterone limit dictated by the IAAF unjustly arbitrary.

Someone with CAIS would likely be excluded by the IAAF rule change, for the same reason, unless they were willing to take hormone blockers.
Old 20th June 2019, 06:14 PM   #146
Rolfe

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I mean, requiring athletes to qualify by publishing personal medical information seems awkward, but not overly so.

Who says they have to publish it? Just make it clear that everyone intending to compete in the restricted league must have no functional SRY gene, or if they have such a gene, they must also have CAIS. (And by the way 46XX non-SRY males can also take a hike.) Require all people who intend to compete at high level to be tested as juniors and that the pickleball governing authorities have access to the results. If it turns out that someone doesn't qualify for the restricted league after all, they just leave the sport or move to the open league, before they've gone beyond back-yard kickabout level.

Nothing needs to be publicised unless the athlete themselves decides to make a big song and dance about it.
Old 20th June 2019, 06:18 PM   #147
Rolfe

...implies elevated testosterone levels (relative to the typical male) without giving us sufficient understanding about how testosterone is affecting her, rendering the testosterone limit dictated by the IAAF unjustly arbitrary.

Someone with CAIS would likely be excluded by the IAAF rule change, for the same reason, unless they were willing to take hormone blockers.

No, because of the PAIS condition affecting gonadal maturation, testosterone concentrations are typically depressed, not elevated, compared to normal males. Still enough to beat the pants off the girls though. (Actually, Erik Schinneger was winning well in the men's skiing events even after he was diagnosed, but that may be a sport-specific thing, parsimony of expertise and all that. That effect is quite marked in skiing and horse-riding, and horse-riding events aren't sex-segregated at all.)

And CAIS gets a free pass for any testosterone concentration it likes, because it doesn't make any difference.

Last edited by Rolfe; 20th June 2019 at 06:20 PM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2019, 06:22 PM   #148
mumblethrax
Species traitor

No, because of the PAIS condition affecting gonadal maturation, testosterone concentrations are typically depressed, not elevated, compared to normal males.
No, they're typically normal or elevated, due to hormone regulation.

Quote:
And CAIS gets a free pass for any testosterone concentration it likes, because it doesn't make any difference.
Which is why the IAAF rule changes should be regarded as unjust--they don't, as far as I know, give such a free pass.
Old 20th June 2019, 06:26 PM   #149
Rolfe

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
About this though - I can't speak on behalf of whoever you've been talking to or arguing with. But are you familiar with the concept of a continuum? There exist multiple occurrences in life/science/what have you where there are not clear-cut distinctions between traits. Speciation is sometimes one of these. Color is another - what constitutes green versus blue in some cases is a matter of arbitrary decision. (Greenish blue vs Bluish Green). Unless you have some official body declaring a precise cut-off point between wavelengths of light. And it gets a lot more complicated when we are talking about traits that are multivariate.

It's not that complicated. Gender is just a fancy word for personality. There are about 7.7 billion different genders and counting. It shouldn't matter a damn how yours happens to be. Live and let live.

Sex is as binary as it gets. Spermatozoa or ova. One or the other. If you want an overall definition, then functional SRY gene plus bioavailable androgens is male. (Those diagnosed as male 46XX SRY-negative are also male.) Everyone else is female.

Live as you wish, and allow everyone else to live as they wish and don't hassle them for it. But where there are single-sex spaces or categories, you go with the sex you really are.
Old 20th June 2019, 06:28 PM   #150
Rolfe

No, they're typically normal or elevated, due to hormone regulation.

Which is why the IAAF rule changes should be regarded as unjust--they don't, as far as I know, give such a free pass.

I need to check again, but Semenya's testosterone concentration is lower than average for a male and I thought that was general among 46XY PAIS patients.

I'm open to correction, but I thought they did give CAIS a pass. If they don't, I agree it's unfair.

Actually, they are unjust in that they allow males who are 46XY with functioning SRY genes and bioavailable androgens to compete in women's events. It's all about coddling the feelings of a handful of people in an invidious position at the expense of fairness for >99% of the competitors.

Last edited by Rolfe; 20th June 2019 at 06:31 PM.
Old 20th June 2019, 06:33 PM   #151
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

IAAF claims Olympic champion Semenya is 'biologically male'

Originally Posted by Associated Press via Fox News
The governing body of track argued in court that Olympic champion Caster Semenya is "biologically male" and that is the reason she should reduce her natural testosterone to be allowed to compete in female competitions, according to documents released publicly for the first time on Tuesday and which provide new insight into a bitter legal battle.

The documents released by sport's highest court show that Semenya responded by telling the judges that being described as biologically male "hurts more than I can put in words." The 28-year-old South African runner said she was unable to express how insulted she felt at the IAAF "telling me that I am not a woman."

The IAAF's stance on Semenya and other female athletes affected by its new testosterone regulations and Semenya's outrage at the biological male claim was revealed in a 163-page decision published by the Switzerland-based Court of Arbitration for Sport. It details parts of the courtroom exchanges that were held behind closed doors when Semenya challenged the IAAF over the highly contentious hormone rules in a five-day hearing in February. CAS had previously released only short excerpts of the final verdict when it was announced last month...
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/iaaf-...logically-male
Old 20th June 2019, 06:39 PM   #152
d4m10n
Illuminator

This is the part of the thread where I ask for at least one example of an 46,XX male, SRY-negative athlete playing elite women's sport.

Last edited by d4m10n; 20th June 2019 at 06:41 PM.
Old 20th June 2019, 06:56 PM   #153
mumblethrax
Species traitor

I need to check again, but Semenya's testosterone concentration is lower than average for a male and I thought that was general among 46XY PAIS patients.
I don't know what her testosterone levels are, for the same reason I don't know what Jennifer Lawrence looks like naked. But among people with PAIS, testosterone levels are similar or elevated compared to typical males. And even though I do regard the IAAF changes as a "No Caster Semenya" rule, it shouldn't be.

Quote:
Actually, they are unjust in that they allow males who are 46XY with functioning SRY genes and bioavailable androgens to compete in women's events.
Can't comment on that without knowing how androgens are affecting her, which I don't.

Quote:
It's all about coddling the feelings of a handful of people in an invidious position at the expense of fairness for >99% of the competitors.
I don't see that the 99% have a greater claim to fairness than the 1%. Semenya has worked in good faith under the rules as the IAAF wrote them--an immediate rule change which looks for all the world designed to exclude her and no one else currently competing is not something I would regard as coddling.
Old 20th June 2019, 07:03 PM   #154
mumblethrax
Species traitor

This is the part of the thread where I ask for at least one example of an 46,XX male, SRY-negative athlete playing elite women's sport.
Not really possible, since that's normally private medical information and gender identification would normally exclude males. If the IAAF rule changes are permitted to stand, it might become obvious.
Old 21st June 2019, 01:29 AM   #155
Francesca R
Girl

I don't know what her testosterone levels are
Can't we assume that her T-concentration is (naturally) some way above 5 nmol/l?
Quote:
Can't comment on that without knowing how androgens are affecting her, which I don't.
I think she herself has said multiple times that the IAAF (hyperandrogenism) rule has forever tried to "hold her back" or "slow her down", and I believe in the CAS adjudication she is quoted as agreeing that her athletic performance is/was lower when she was medically suppressing testosterone.

She does however contend that it could have been other factors doing this, and also that the advantage of naturally elevated testosterone concentration is a lot smaller than the forced disadvantage of artificially suppressing it. She also points out that it is arbitrary/unfair that the rule only applies to eight events.
Quote:
Semenya has worked in good faith under the rules as the IAAF wrote them--an immediate rule change which looks for all the world designed to exclude her and no one else currently competing is not something I would regard as coddling.
Agreed. However giving a pass to XY athletes with partial androgen response in the first place arguably was the coddling that should "never have been done".

Rolling it back is apt to look like targeted exclusion but it may also be the second wrong that (partly) rights the first. But this may be where ultimately she wins; too bad if the original rules were "wrong", you can not now dial them back because that is too discriminatory.

Last edited by Francesca R; 21st June 2019 at 01:56 AM.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2019, 02:05 AM   #156
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
While I'm a big fan of freedom, this framing has a tendency to inhibit giving people a role. And that's not always a good thing. There is value in having a role in society. Yes, some people have a hard time fitting into typical roles, and society should tolerate and accept those who don't. But for most people, having a role they fit into helps ground them, give them a sense of belonging and purpose. And if you just try to abolish roles completely to accommodate those who don't fit them, you do harm to those who benefit from them. And that can be a greater harm.

tl;dr: social roles are a sort of Chesterton's fence. The people knocking them down largely don't know what they're doing.
Well, I hope you read the rest of the post you quoted, because I think we largely agree.

Besides if you abolish roles, new ones will pop right back up.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2019, 05:58 PM   #157
Rolfe

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
Can't we assume that her T-concentration is (naturally) some way above 5 nmol/l?

It's somewhere between 5 and 10 nmol/l, I think we can infer. This is somewhat low for the normal male range, although I'm talking peaks in the diurnal variation here. (I actually did my BSc honours project on this in 1977, how time flies.)

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post
Agreed. However giving a pass to XY athletes with partial androgen response in the first place arguably was the coddling that should "never have been done".

I agree. They badly mishandled the treatment of similar cases in the past with athletes left absolutely devastated. Erik Schinneger was one of the lucky ones who came through it relatively intact. At least one committed suicide. But instead of fixing the system so that girls-who-are-biologically-male are identified as juniors and counselled out of the sport before their whole lives are invested in it they decided just to let anyone who was raised as a girl compete. Absolute madness.

Quote:
I don't see that the 99% have a greater claim to fairness than the 1%.

That's nonsense. If the events are for female athletes, then male-bodied athletes should be excluded, no matter how they identify or for how long.

I really feel for Caster Semenya, but hurt feelings are not a gotcha in this argument. What about all the girls who truly qualify for the events because, you know, actually female-bodied, who are absolutely devastated because they can never win against someone who shouldn't actually be there but for a bad decision taken 20 years ago?
Old 21st June 2019, 07:31 PM   #158
Shadowdweller
Muse

I really feel for Caster Semenya, but hurt feelings are not a gotcha in this argument. What about all the girls who truly qualify for the events because, you know, actually female-bodied, who are absolutely devastated because they can never win against someone who shouldn't actually be there but for a bad decision taken 20 years ago?
Or who would need to engage in unhealthy practices such as steroid use or blood doping to compete.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2019, 07:35 PM   #159
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Trans women should not be allowed to compete with biological women. They are still men and they have a muscular advantage over legitimate women.
Old 22nd June 2019, 12:19 AM   #160
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Originally Posted by Associated Press via Fox News
The documents released by sport's highest court show that Semenya responded by telling the judges that being described as biologically male "hurts more than I can put in words." The 28-year-old South African runner said she was unable to express how insulted she felt at the IAAF "telling me that I am not a woman."
Semenya's (financially-incentivised) handlers could have thought of that a decade ago instead of pushing her into championship mid-distance competition, submitting her to testing without telling her much of anything about it, and running her into a collision with just about the only authorities where clinical biology rules and personality can go whistle.

But I think perhaps they opted not to bother. If anyone has been guilty of the most extreme insensitivity to DSD and gender ID affected trauma it is probably them. Way to dismantle the sensibility of someone who otherwise seems to have had no external issue whatsoever impacting her ability to live socially and legally as female.

The CAS arbitration in full (except it isn't) is here PDF 163pages
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events