ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Old 2nd August 2019, 02:35 AM   #1
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Greta Thunberg - brave campaigner or deeply disturbed?

Someone called Andrew Bolt is in the news today for apparently attacking Greta Thunberg, the teenage climate change campaigner (who, I was surprised to note) has not been mentioned on this forum before - at least searching for "Thunberg" gives no results).

Unfortunately Bolt's column is behind a paywall, so I can't see exactly what he said, beyond his opening few paragraphs, which include:

"No teenager is more freakishly influential than Greta Thunberg, the deeply disturbed messiah of the global warming movement.

I have never seen a girl so young and with so many mental disorders treated by so many adults as a guru."

So, Thunberg - a force for much-needed change, or a mentally ill "pig-tailed soothsayer". Or something else?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 02:41 AM   #2
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Someone called Andrew Bolt is in the news today for apparently attacking Greta Thunberg, the teenage climate change campaigner (who, I was surprised to note) has not been mentioned on this forum before - at least searching for "Thunberg" gives no results).

Unfortunately Bolt's column is behind a paywall, so I can't see exactly what he said, beyond his opening few paragraphs, which include:

"No teenager is more freakishly influential than Greta Thunberg, the deeply disturbed messiah of the global warming movement.

I have never seen a girl so young and with so many mental disorders treated by so many adults as a guru."

So, Thunberg - a force for much-needed change, or a mentally ill "pig-tailed soothsayer". Or something else?
First of all, Andrew Bolt is a denier known for being wrong about pretty much everything. He's an arch-conservative racist as well.

Greta Thunberg is inspiring because she's young and has aspergers, and despite these drawbacks manage to upset deniers by virtue of energizing people into action on climate change. I get why the deniers are afraid of her. I hope she has someone thinking about her personal safety, because she's dangerous enough for them to go after her, or at least use the right wing radicalization channels to get one of the loonies to do it.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 2nd August 2019 at 02:42 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 02:54 AM   #3
catsmate
No longer the 1

Someone called Andrew Bolt is in the news today
At this point, if your're familiar with Bolt. you can stop reading. He's a right-wing wackjob who's made numerous assertions that are at variance with factual reality (i.e. lies). These include:
1. He accuses a magistrate (a low level judge) of hugging and congratulating two freed drug traffickers. She was awarded damaged for defamation.
2. Ionising radiation has #health benefits'. He parroted Coulter's drivel.#
3. There was no 'Stolen Generation' in Australia. He's been comprehensively refuted on this lie.
4. Climate change isn't real. He's described it as a "pagan cult", "neo-pagan gospel", "giddiest ideology of all" and "great sham".

He's also been convicted of racism ('[racial vilification') and is a regular defended of convicted cild molesting cardinal Pell. Ignore his rantings.

Even John Birmingham considers his an idiot and an "oxygen thief". Other colleagues in the Australian journalistic coimmity have described him as "champion of the overdog" and "self-parodying buffoon".

Something else.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.

Last edited by catsmate; 2nd August 2019 at 02:56 AM.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 02:58 AM   #4
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Sounds like someone is jealous...
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:30 AM   #5
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Someone called Andrew Bolt ...
Normally it is pretty safe to stop there.
Quote:
This is new. What mental illness is she supposed to have?
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:35 AM   #6
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Normally it is pretty safe to stop there.
In that case, I'm glad to say I've never heard of him before.

Quote:
I doubt her critics are specific on the point, they just say she's "crazy".
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:55 AM   #7
3point14
Pi

Textbook Ad Hominem attack. What a weak man.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:56 AM   #8
catsmate
No longer the 1

ASD. She's autistic.
She also terrifies the rightist AGW deniers. Hence their continual attacks.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 05:06 AM   #9
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
ASD. She's autistic.
I knew she was autistic, I am autistic too. It is not really what I would call a mental illness.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 05:22 AM   #10
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The United States, the last bastion of the heathen
Maybe we can stop right there?

So this Andrew Bolt fellow is some kind of religious nut who hates America.
Old 2nd August 2019, 05:58 AM   #11
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

I knew she was autistic, I am autistic too. It is not really what I would call a mental illness.
It's not what anyone competent would call a mental illness, in fact. Asperger's Syndrome is a developmental disorder - the normal processes of the brain are somewhat different in a person with AS than in one without - rather than a mental illness, in which the normal processes of the brain for that individual are impaired or temporarily disordered. And it's unwarranted for Bolt to refer to "so many mental disorders" when in fact Thunberg is known to have only one, and one that many people have found not to prevent them having an enjoyable and productive life.

There's also a rather subtle hedas-I-win, tails-you-lose in play in the column. Remember how Emma Thompson was recently criticised for flying to New York after saying people should fly less? Now Thunberg is being criticised for sailing to the US because (a) it's too uncompromising and (b) it looks like a publicity stunt. So apparently it's wrong either to compromise or not to compromise.

Andrew Bolt's not a member, is he? Just thought I'd check in case I want to say what I really think of him.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 06:08 AM   #12
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

My favorite Greta picture:

She's 16 years old, btw.
Old 2nd August 2019, 06:17 AM   #13
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
It's not what anyone competent would call a mental illness, in fact. Asperger's Syndrome is a developmental disorder - the normal processes of the brain are somewhat different in a person with AS than in one without - rather than a mental illness, in which the normal processes of the brain for that individual are impaired or temporarily disordered. And it's unwarranted for Bolt to refer to "so many mental disorders" when in fact Thunberg is known to have only one, and one that many people have found not to prevent them having an enjoyable and productive life.

There's also a rather subtle hedas-I-win, tails-you-lose in play in the column. Remember how Emma Thompson was recently criticised for flying to New York after saying people should fly less? Now Thunberg is being criticised for sailing to the US because (a) it's too uncompromising and (b) it looks like a publicity stunt. So apparently it's wrong either to compromise or not to compromise.

Andrew Bolt's not a member, is he? Just thought I'd check in case I want to say what I really think of him.

Dave
He's a public figure, so shouldn't matter.

Bolt's a dolt.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 06:34 AM   #14
catsmate
No longer the 1

Neuroatypical is the preferred tern now.
However Dolt neither understands this nor cares, is an AGW denying cretin, wants to stir up believers and is employed by Murdoch.
Old 2nd August 2019, 06:36 AM   #15
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Maybe we can stop right there?

So this Andrew Bolt fellow is some kind of religious nut who hates America.
Dolt claims not to be an xian; however he's a vehement defender of convicted child molester Pell.
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:45 AM   #16
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Dolt claims not to be an xian; however he's a vehement defender of convicted child molester Pell.
I realized that I misinterpreted that bit. He meant "heathen" in the ironic sense, not the literal one. Like she is a kind of missionary going to convert the "heathens" to the religion of global warming. But that means that he sees it as on par with a religion, and not a valid scientific theory.
Old 2nd August 2019, 08:54 AM   #17
Giz
Philosopher

I don’t think there’s any justification for sneering at Greta thunberg.

Now, sneering at a society that takes complex policy advice from children... yeah,, maybe so.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:00 AM   #18
Matthew Best
Philosopher

How about sneering at a society that needs to take complex policy advice from children?
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:02 AM   #19
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
Now, sneering at a society that takes needs complex policy advice from children... yeah,, maybe so.
FTFY.

Dave

ETA: Ninja'd.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:10 AM   #20
Giz
Philosopher

How about sneering at a society that needs to take complex policy advice from children?
Of course.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:27 AM   #21
applecorped
Suspended

Hogg has faded, need a new pawn
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 09:37 AM   #22
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

blind squirrels and all

The safety of the conviction of Cardinal Pell is a subject about which reasonable minds may disagree, for about seven pages in the Trials and Errors section. Therefore, I do not accept the proposition that Bolt is a nut on the basis of his position on this one issue.
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:39 PM   #23
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
My favorite Greta picture:

https://i.imgur.com/qgK26Iy.jpg

She's 16 years old, btw.
She looks around 12, which I can relate to, and part of the reason she's even more not taken seriously.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 01:35 PM   #24
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
The safety of the conviction of Cardinal Pell is a subject about which reasonable minds may disagree, for about seven pages in the Trials and Errors section. Therefore, I do not accept the proposition that Bolt is a nut on the basis of his position on this one issue.
Regardless of his individual conviction, he certainly was instrumental in obstructing justice for victims of other priests which is enough to damn him in my eyes.

Given the history of allegations against him, stretching back several decades, and the cases that were dropped for good reasons, it's pretty certain he was guilty anyway.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 01:47 PM   #25
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Greta replies:
Quote:
I am indeed ”deeply disturbed” about the fact that these hate and conspiracy campaigns are allowed to go on and on and on just because we children communicate and act on the science. Where are the adults? pic.twitter.com/xDSlN0VgtZ

Greta Thunberg (@GretaThunberg) August 1, 2019
I find it fantastic that instead of saying she's deeply disturbed about global warming she went this intelligent route.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd August 2019 at 01:50 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 02:14 PM   #26
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
She looks around 12, which I can relate to, and part of the reason she's even more not taken seriously.

Indeed she looks like 12, but if she weren't taken seriously in a way, none of us would have ever heard about her. She had an audience with the pope and spoke at several parliaments (EU, France, UK?). I think the question in the thread title is a false dichotomy. She can be both a brave campaigner and deeply disturbed at the same time. What is obvious is that she is useful to powerful people. And the person who created that useful product is her father (her mother has written an interesting book).

What we see in her follower's faces in the picture is what she explicitly demands: panic. And we old navigators of the galaxy know that rule one for success is not to panic.

I feel very ambivalent about this phenomenon.
Old 2nd August 2019, 03:53 PM   #27
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Dude I've never heard of calls out other dude I've never heard of. Somehow this is important.

Whatever. I have a policy of not taking children seriously on any issue.

Unless this Thunberg person is some kind of world renowned precocious polymath, who cares what she thinks or says? For sure if it has any real value, we can find a mature and experienced adult with the expertise to make the same argument from actual authority.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 03:53 PM   #28
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
She does have a baby face. No doubt some people find it incredibly infuriating to be lectured by a "little kid", a little girl even, even-though she's actually 16 years old.

Of course many people would need to assert their vulnerable egos from such a bruising by, as is customary, attacking her appearance or assailing her on other superficial grounds. That's why much of the criticism very quickly takes such a vicious and very personal tone. Often you'd get the impression that they are more interested in bashing her than what she actually says.
Old 2nd August 2019, 03:57 PM   #29
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Does she have some insight into climate change that contemporary climate scientists do not?

Being 12 and autistic doesn't sound that remarkable.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 03:58 PM   #30
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Unless this Thunberg person is some kind of world renowned precocious polymath, who cares what she thinks or says? For sure if it has any real value, we can find a mature and experienced adult with the expertise to make the same argument from actual authority.
When 99% of scientists working on climate science aren't persuasive enough to convince climate change deniers that they are wrong I think it's safe to say that it doesn't matter who says what.
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:01 PM   #31
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Does she have some insight into climate change that contemporary climate scientists do not?

Didn't you see The Predator? Autism is the next stage of human evolution. It's literally a superpower. She's basically a real life X-men.

Merely human scientists, for all their decades of mature experience and professional expertise, don't hold a candle to her magical autism.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:02 PM   #32
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

I wouldn't worry too much, Arcade22. There's already panic in your face over the Russian hoax, so you are fitting right in without believing in St, Greta,
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:03 PM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
When 99% of scientists working on climate science aren't persuasive enough to convince climate change deniers that they are wrong I think it's safe to say that it doesn't matter who says what.
I wholeheartedly agree. So what's the point of Thunberg-as-poster-child?
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:03 PM   #34
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

She's 16.
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:06 PM   #35
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Didn't you see The Predator? Autism is the next stage of human evolution. It's literally a superpower. She's basically a real life X-men.

Merely human scientists, for all their decades of mature experience and professional expertise, don't hold a candle to her magical autism.
I... did not see the version of predator you're talking about.

Saw one with Schwarzenegger and Jesse the Body. Then vaguely remember another with Danny Glover. Don't remember any autistics unless you count that anti-social Native American dude who slashes his chest open with a knife for no other reason than to look like a badass.

If it bleeds, it can die.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:07 PM   #36
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
She's 16.
Oh never mind.
I think she's a great spokesperson then.
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:12 PM   #37
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Dude I've never heard of calls out other dude I've never heard of. Somehow this is important.

Whatever. I have a policy of not taking children seriously on any issue.

Been sleeping under a rock or something? Or is this some kind of tp sarcasm we're all supposed to magically understand?

You appear to have no clue what Greta has accomplished. Should I fill you in?

Inspired by 16-year-old Swedish activist Greta Thunberg's weekly protests, the global youth climate movement has swept the globe, with students organizing strikes on every continent.
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:12 PM   #38
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I... did not see the version of predator you're talking about.

Saw one with Schwarzenegger and Jesse the Body. Then vaguely remember another with Danny Glover. Don't remember any autistics unless you count that anti-social Native American dude who slashes his chest open with a knife for no other reason than to look like a badass.

If it bleeds, it can die.
You're referring to Predator and Predator 2.

There's a more recent movie: The Predator.
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:13 PM   #39
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
She does have a baby face. No doubt some people find it incredibly infuriating to be lectured by a "little kid", a little girl even, even-though she's actually 16 years old.

Of course many people would need to assert their vulnerable egos from such a bruising by, as is customary, attacking her appearance or assailing her on other superficial grounds. That's why much of the criticism very quickly takes such a vicious and very personal tone. Often you'd get the impression that they are more interested in bashing her than what she actually says.
Despite her looks, she is an excellent public speaker.
Old 2nd August 2019, 04:14 PM   #40
Pterodactyl
Graduate Poster

You're referring to Predator and Predator 2.

There's a more recent movie: The Predator.

https://youtu.be/N9YsrGHmwIg

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events