ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th September 2019, 11:09 AM   #241
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

I have a niece who is a Rural Pediatrician in the Yukon. I asked:

"Is an all-animal diet still a thing? Do you see deficiency diseases? What kind?"

"Its not really a thing, they eat greens and berries all summer in addition to whatever meat they hunt. About a third do have CPT1a arctic variant deficiency which only became evident with western medicine and diet, as far people can tell."

CPT1 is an enzyme, Carnitine Palmitoyl(?) Transferase. It makes carnitine. Them Alaskan Natives have evolved to need the meat in their diet to get exogenous carnitine.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 11:31 AM   #242
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

"Is an all-animal diet still a thing? Do you see deficiency diseases? What kind?"

"Its not really a thing, they eat greens and berries all summer in addition to whatever meat they hunt. About a third do have CPT1a arctic variant deficiency which only became evident with western medicine and diet, as far people can tell."

CPT1 is an enzyme, Carnitine Palmitoyl(?) Transferase. It makes carnitine. Them Alaskan Natives have evolved to need the meat in their diet to get exogenous carnitine.
I was curious to learn more about the allele involved... the mutation is on chromosome 11 apparently. It sounds like what happened to our ancestors when we were able to get enough vitamin C through vegetables and lost the ability to synthesize it metabolically. A rich diet hides these knockouts.
Old 25th September 2019, 02:30 PM   #243
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by casebro View Post

I was rather surprised by the diet of the Sami people in arctic Sweden when I visited there.

Essentially reindeer/moose meat and berries.
No green vegetables, or any vegetables, because they just didn't have them available.

Surprisingly they have good (better?) rates of heart disease and cancer then many other "westernised" populations in Scandinavia.
Study here.

Rather confoundingly, the Sami have been advised to cut back on meat, especially organs, because of radioactive contamination in that food chain from Russian nuclear testing and Chernobyl fallout.

The result in this dietary change?
Obesity is on the increase as they consume more carbohydrates. Lifestyle changes, such as less physical work even by herders, is also noted as a contributing factor to obesity.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 12:41 PM   #244
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Anybody else here hear about "grain free" dog foods causing Dilated Cardio Myopathy? Basically heart failure. Seems dogs (and people?) can make Taurine if given the right aminos to build from. So taurine is a non-essential amino acid. Besides, there is plenty of taurine in meat- unless the meat is cooked to death. If so, you need those building blocks, which are found in grains. So, feeding your dog "grain free" dog food might be killing it. Seems they make it grain free by substituting the grains with potatoes or beans.

I've always fed my dogs bulk cheap dry food, made of corn + meat by-products, PLUS some of whatever meat I have for dinner. Many compliments about white teeth and shiny coats.

There are many experts that say not to fed your pets "people food". I looked at the contents of the dry food- corn, meat by-products, beef fat- it's made from People Food! Lots cheaper than corn dogs too. I read up a bit more, seems the negativity of people food is cause by imbalanced diets- the bakers dog fed exclusively on bread, or people who feed them "table scraps", the fat the people won't eat. Or just tooo many calories.

Science just doesn't yet know about all the micronutrients and how they work together.

What to do with this knowledge? I've made sure I eat various carbs as well as various meats. Grits, oats, potatoes, rice, bread. Beef, chicken, pork, fish, livers. Too bad I just can't get myself to buy any veggies besides squash and beets.
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2019, 01:23 PM   #245
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

Dogs seemed to have thrived for decades on grain based dog chow, unnatural as it may seem..

Who knows what some of the underlying health issues might have been..

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events