ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th September 2019, 01:01 PM   #1
plague311
Great minds think...

School Shooting Hoodies...are ******* dumb

Designer slammed for 'disgusting' hoodies inspired by mass school shootings:

Quote:
Founder and designer of Bstroy, Brick Owens, is facing criticism after unveiling his Spring 2020 collection this week, which featured a number of hoodies with the names of schools where horrific mass shootings took place.

The designs looked worn and riddled with bullet holes.
It should be noted I wear nothing but jeans\basketball shorts, hoodies, and T-shirts. So I'm not going to sit here and pretend I have a ******* clue about fashion, but this is the dumbest possible **** I have ever seen. Almost as dumb as those stupid women wearing the Twin Towers as Halloween outfits, only these stupid turds are standing by it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 01:25 PM   #2
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Bit somehow still less stupid than making money off of school shootings by claiming they didn’t happen. I’m not sure where it is in relation to the NRA’s attempts to take political advantage from school shootings.

They’re all idiots.
Old 17th September 2019, 02:09 PM   #3
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

I don't think it's so bad. But it kinda can be understood both as commemoration and celebration. Would be nice to add some words to clear the confusion.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 02:12 PM   #4
DragonLady
Illuminator

I don't know...there's a tiny thought in my head that making these events into a joke might help prevent them happening.

Who wants to become immortal with a Darwin award? If we can respond with humor somehow -and make the shooters into scapegoats and laughingstocks, we might see fewer of them?

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 02:38 PM   #5
Thor 2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Designer slammed for 'disgusting' hoodies inspired by mass school shootings:

It should be noted I wear nothing but jeans\basketball shorts, hoodies, and T-shirts. So I'm not going to sit here and pretend I have a ******* clue about fashion, but this is the dumbest possible **** I have ever seen. Almost as dumb as those stupid women wearing the Twin Towers as Halloween outfits, only these stupid turds are standing by it.
Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I don't know...there's a tiny thought in my head that making these events into a joke might help prevent them happening.

Who wants to become immortal with a Darwin award? If we can respond with humor somehow -and make the shooters into scapegoats and laughingstocks, we might see fewer of them?

Lots of profanity in your post plague and I can feel your anger, but I think DragonLady's "tiny thought" may have some merit. The expressions of outrage that follow all the shootings seems to have little effect. Some folk just love those firearms and will gun you down if you try and take them away. Perhaps we could try just ridiculing those that feel they need a gun.
Old 17th September 2019, 03:09 PM   #6
Thermal
Philosopher

My sense of humor is blacker than tar at midnight, but some things are not cool. This is one.

Remember Kurt Cobains suicide note on a t-shirt? Not cool either
Old 17th September 2019, 03:13 PM   #7
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Ridiculing people who feel they need guns ≠ ridiculing school shooting victims by turning "bullet-ridden clothes" named after school shooting incidents into a fashion statement.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 04:18 PM   #8
DragonLady
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Ridiculing people who feel they need guns ≠ ridiculing school shooting victims by turning "bullet-ridden clothes" named after school shooting incidents into a fashion statement.
I agree. There's a line; we need to ridicule those who would solve their problems by shooting their classmates, not those classmates.

On that note, I don't think these shirts -what little I've seen of them- hit the right mark.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 09:39 AM   #9
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Lots of profanity in your post plague and I can feel your anger, but I think DragonLady's "tiny thought" may have some merit. The expressions of outrage that follow all the shootings seems to have little effect. Some folk just love those firearms and will gun you down if you try and take them away. Perhaps we could try just ridiculing those that feel they need a gun.
Oh, I apologize. My posts are generally profanity laden. I swear all of the time and mostly without even noticing it. I type how I speak.

That being said, not to repeat others, my take on this isn't mocking the shooters, it's mocking the people that were shot. The designers also made no statement that this was supposed to be funny. They took this as a serious design statement. The fact the families were as distraught as they were should give the designers pause and they should take that pause to feel like **** about themselves. It's an ******* thing to do.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 09:51 AM   #10
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Even if it were mocking the shooters or the shootees, the freedom to speak, and to mock is more important than the faux outrage from a bunch of snarks
Old 18th September 2019, 09:52 AM   #11
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Even if it were mocking the shooters or the shootees, the freedom to speak, and to mock is more important than the faux outrage from a bunch of snarks
No idea what this is supposed to mean. No one is saying they shouldn't be able to make the hoodies, I'm saying they're a poor choice of fashion to make, and it's a dick thing to do.

Old 18th September 2019, 09:59 AM   #12
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

You're all missing the worst sin here: the garments are ugly. In fashion that is a worse crime than any shooting.
Old 18th September 2019, 10:01 AM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
You're all missing the worst sin here: the garments are ugly. In fashion that is a worse crime than any shooting.
And not even good ugly.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 10:08 AM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Sometimes I wonder if people get pushed into modelling by their less attractive friends, to take them down a peg by making them appear in public in ridiculously stupid outfits. I know a man who is powerfully handsome and it would do him a world of good to be photographed dressed like a complete tool.
Old 18th September 2019, 10:12 AM   #15
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Hoodies in general
Old 18th September 2019, 10:35 AM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I thought from the thread title they'd be bulletproof or something. Sheesh!
Old 18th September 2019, 06:11 PM   #17
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes the outrage sells the product better than advertising, and it's free! I know I picked up my copy of Postal (late 1990s video game where you shoot everybody in sight) because of the hubbub about it.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 07:15 PM   #18
Venom
Illuminator

I berated my younger brother the other week for wearing a t-shirt with Pablo Escobar's smug grin on the front.

The glorification of these mass murdering psychopaths is disgusting. What did they do that was so "cool".
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 04:14 AM   #19
applecorped
Suspended

Meanwhile Che Guevara shirts still sell by the thousands
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 04:18 AM   #20
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
Which as always means you can not criticise anything anyone else says.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 04:39 AM   #21
3point14
Pi

What a superb attempt to make use of the invisible hand of the market to increase one's wealth and crate jobs!

If it makes money, it's good and right and proper.

If it doesn't, it's not.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 05:26 AM   #22
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
He'd really hate it if he knew about those shirts and who wears them, which makes it funny. I think it's entirely appropriate that his legacy be a humiliating one.
Old 19th September 2019, 06:07 AM   #23
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Sometimes the outrage sells the product better than advertising, and it's free! I know I picked up my copy of Postal (late 1990s video game where you shoot everybody in sight) because of the hubbub about it.
I don't know that they've really sold all that many to be honest. I've tried to find more information about it, but it sounds like most people are boycotting it. As Tragic mentioned, they're also ******* ugly LoL.

Old 21st September 2019, 01:02 AM   #24
EHocking
Philosopher

He'd really hate it if he knew about those shirts and who wears them, which makes it funny. I think it's entirely appropriate that his legacy be a humiliating one.
My current favourite t-shirt.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2019, 07:23 AM   #25
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
My two favorites are one that read "CliCHE" under his portrait, and of course the classic one that reads "Gay Guevara" where he's decked out in rainbows and makeup.
Old 21st September 2019, 07:53 AM   #26
dann
Philosopher

Why??!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 03:45 AM   #27
sphenisc
Illuminator

I know a man who is powerfully handsome and it would do him a world of good to be photographed dressed like a complete tool.
I've already told you, I'm not doing it.
Old 24th September 2019, 04:28 AM   #28
Information Analyst
Philosopher

And there's a certain irony in that the jacket he's wearing in the full version is actually pretty lame.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 09:27 AM   #29
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Why??!
At a guess his execution of homosexuals might be a good reason why TM dislikes him.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 04:44 AM   #30
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
As do MAGA hats.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2019, 05:29 AM   #31
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Here let me save everybody a lot of time and outage.

"OMG. Why on Earth would Company X release a product/ad campaign that is so shockingly and obviously offensive?"
"Easy. Did you know Company X's name before news of their offensive product/ad campaign hit the news?"
"Well no..."
"There you go...."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events