ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alternate history , David McCullough , Revolutionary War history

Old 20th February 2007, 11:32 AM   #41
Kaylee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sir Robin Goodfellow View Post
My guess, just a guess, mind you, is that the US would have eventually gained independence the same way we did up here. Having colonies (and having to defend them, with all the costs that entails) eventually became less profitable, to the point where the United Kingdom would have found it easier to just let the North American colonies sort themselves out.
Maybe. On the other hand it seems that the relationship between the 13 colonies and Great Britain was much more antagonistic than the one between Canada and Great Britain. That being the case I think the Americans would have eventually tried to rebell again if they had lost the first attempt.

But I have sometimes wondered why the Canadians got along better with Great Britain than the Americans did. Maybe they actually didn't get along that much better -- I don't know Canadian history well at all. Or maybe having so many French colonists nearby make the British colonists identify more stronly with England? NY had many Dutch colonists and it didn't seem to have the same effect. But than again, NY was just one of 13 colonies. Or perhaps this was just a side effect of a more numerous population, assuming that the colonies had more colonists than Canada. Having more people would mean having more people of every personality type, including having just enough people rebellious in nature to make a success of it? If Canada had been more numerous perhaps they would have rebelled also?

Unfortunately, I didn't learn much about Canadian history in school. Perhaps you have some theories SRG? Maybe this was discussed in some of your Canadian history classes?

Quote:
Hard to say how the North American map might look today. Perhaps a larger Mexico, and Alaska still Russian?
Russia was worried that Great Britain was just going to grab Alaska. They needed money and didn't believe that they would be able to defend and hold that territory. The Americans purchased the land out of appreciation for Russian being an ally during the Civil War (just recently over) and to annoy Great Britain.
Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_purchase

If the Americans hadn't won the War of Independence I suspect that one of the side effects would have been that Alaska would be part of Canada today.

Last edited by Kaylee; 20th February 2007 at 11:39 AM. Reason: clarity
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2007, 09:27 PM   #42
Björn Toulouse
Cavitus Rectum

Originally Posted by Shera View Post
What would have been the effect on American, English and World history if the Americans had lost the American Revolution?

Less dentists?

Belisarius
Björn Toulouse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2007, 10:15 PM   #43
Dave1001
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Björn Toulouse View Post
Originally Posted by Shera
What would have been the effect on American, English and World history if the Americans had lost the American Revolution?
Less dentists?
or fewer grammatical errors.
Dave1001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2007, 10:00 PM   #44
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

I think most plausible scnenarios have been mentioned so far, but I didn't notice anyone pointing out one of my pet alternatives: Australia, at least as we know it, likely wouldn't exist. Without the loss of Georgia, there would have been less or perhaps no impetus to develop penal colonies in Australia and the settlement patterns would have been very different.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2007, 01:32 PM   #45
Kaylee
Illuminator

Originally Posted by UnrepentantSinner View Post
I think most plausible scnenarios have been mentioned so far, but I didn't notice anyone pointing out one of my pet alternatives: Australia, at least as we know it, likely wouldn't exist. Without the loss of Georgia, there would have been less or perhaps no impetus to develop penal colonies in Australia and the settlement patterns would have been very different.
Fascinating idea, but I'm not sure that I agree with it. There use to be an expression: "The sun never sets on the British Empire." For that to happen the English must have been really driven to explore, conquer and settle the world.

However, IIRC, the interior of Australia is very inhospitable. Perhaps fewer people would have immigrated there (voluntarily or via the penal colonies) if England had kept control of the Americas. But to ignore it altogether? The coast is beautiful, and its huge! It must have been very attractive to Great Britian and her expansive tendencies.

Captain James Cook had just finished charting that area of the world at around the time of the American Revolution. So the English didn't really have the option to try to settle Austrailia earlier because they didn't have enough information about it. Given that I can't think of how your theory can be proven or disproven... Still, an interesting idea!

And I had forgotten that England used the American colonies to get rid of her convicts and debtors.
Kaylee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts