ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alternate history , anti-semitism , nazism , World War II history

Old 1st February 2010, 01:50 AM   #41
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

They still would have had Geral Plan Ost.
They still would have tried to push the Slavs behind the Ural.
This still would have pissed off the Slavs, who would still have built a whole lotta grade-A tanks and moved in to kick some ass.

It would still have been an epic fail.

Perhaps they would have had a slightly bigger army by incorporating the Jewish conscripts.
Eddie Dane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 03:34 AM   #42
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Not, mind you, that reading either work is necessarily "intellectual".
But reading books at all is a pretty good start in that aspect
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 03:58 AM   #43
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by barrymore View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what role did the Nazi genocide play vs the general prevention of upsetting economic and political power in the choice of countries such as France, UK, and US in opposing Germany?
1. The actual plan for organized genocide didn't even happen until the Wannsee Conference in _1942_. Even starting discussing the problem and planning the conference didn't start until the end of 1941. I think you'll find that that's a bit too late to explain why Britain and France declared war in _1939_.

2. Arguably the first systematic genocide of the Jews started in Lithuania, by mid-1941. Again, it's almost two years too late to explain why Britain and France were fed up with Germany in 1939.

3. Even more ad-hoc pogroms only happened in Poland, where the SS Einsatzgruppen ("special ops units", but don't think as much commandos as, well, ad-hoc formed police groups) got free hand to kill any of the population groups considered undesirable or hostile. In Austria and Czechoslowakia they were only tasked with securing important buildings and documents, and could at most question people. Even in Poland, they actually were busier killing Polish intellectuals, priests, etc, than Jews.

But at any rate, it happened already after Britain and France had declared war, so it can't really explain the rivalry.

4. The genocide wasn't exactly publicized even inside Germany. The earlier attempts to kill off the handicapped and mentally ill, had proven immensely unpopular and came somewhat short of causing a revolt in some areas. So it wasn't exactly the kind of thing they wanted to write on a big banner and put it on a billboard, if you get my drift.

Outside of Germany, the Nazis took every feasible precaution to keep it a secret.

Even the logistics were occasionally taken into account as a possible give-away. E.g., that's why some camps preferred to use locally produced carbon monoxide, so as not to raise suspicion with the total amount of Zyklon B produced and transported.

Mind you, it wasn't impossible to know it either inside or outside. But it was at least kept at a level at which you could ignore the rumours, if you weren't particularly emotionally invested in finding it out. Turns out that for most people it's enough.

At any rate, it only officially sunk in for the Allied governments and commanders that a genocide had been going on, when they actually occupied a couple of extermination camps. Which was already by the end of the war.

So again it doesn't explain the buildup of hostility before the war.

5. In the end, I think Occam's Razor is the right thing to apply there anyway. Germany's constant breach of treaties and increasing territorial claims, were simply too much to ignore. Each time Hitler wanted just one more piece and then, honest to God, that's it. Then a couple of months later it would be the next piece he wants, and this time it's the final one, bla, bla, bla. At some point it became obvious to anyone that appeasement just simply doesn't work.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 04:16 AM   #44
Skeptic
Banned

Excuse my ignorance, but what role did the Nazi genocide play vs the general prevention of upsetting economic and political power i
The reason war was declared was that it became clear Hitler and the Nazis cannot be trusted and that every attempt to cooperate with them merely results in more demands and greater violence.

The watershed events were, I think, the destruction of Czechoslovakia despite promises to the contrary in 1939, and the pogrom against the Jews in November 1938.

Before that, it could be -- and was -- argued that the Nazis were not essentially bad, but merely have a bee in their bonnet about the treaty of Versailles. Appeasing them on this, while cowardly, towards those countries that trusted France and England to protect them from Nazi aggression, at least had its internal logic.

After Kristallnacht and the occupation of what was left of Czechoslovakia even after all of the Nazis' demands were met in the infamously cowardly and perfidious Munich agreement, it became clear that the Nazis are barbarians who can only be stopped by force.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 06:04 AM   #45
bigjelmapro
Illuminator

Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
three words: Einstein and Oppenheimer.
So you are clearly stating that Jews are the gatekeepers to nuclear technology, thanks for clearing that up.
bigjelmapro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 06:15 AM   #46
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Take France.
Please!

(rim shot)

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 06:33 AM   #47
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

Originally Posted by MaGZ View Post
German scientists did detonate a nuclear bomb in the Fall of 1944 near the Baltic Sea without the help of Jewish physicists and again in March 1945 in central Germany.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 06:39 AM   #48
Moss

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I really wonder if MaGZ has some kind of Pavlovian conditioning going on that causes him to deny.
Moss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 07:55 AM   #49
barrymore
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
1. The actual plan for organized genocide didn't even happen until the Wannsee Conference in _1942_. Even starting discussing the problem and planning the conference didn't start until the end of 1941. I think you'll find that that's a bit too late to explain why Britain and France declared war in _1939_.

2. Arguably the first systematic genocide of the Jews started in Lithuania, by mid-1941. Again, it's almost two years too late to explain why Britain and France were fed up with Germany in 1939.

3. Even more ad-hoc pogroms only happened in Poland, where the SS Einsatzgruppen ("special ops units", but don't think as much commandos as, well, ad-hoc formed police groups) got free hand to kill any of the population groups considered undesirable or hostile. In Austria and Czechoslowakia they were only tasked with securing important buildings and documents, and could at most question people. Even in Poland, they actually were busier killing Polish intellectuals, priests, etc, than Jews.

But at any rate, it happened already after Britain and France had declared war, so it can't really explain the rivalry.

4. The genocide wasn't exactly publicized even inside Germany. The earlier attempts to kill off the handicapped and mentally ill, had proven immensely unpopular and came somewhat short of causing a revolt in some areas. So it wasn't exactly the kind of thing they wanted to write on a big banner and put it on a billboard, if you get my drift.

Outside of Germany, the Nazis took every feasible precaution to keep it a secret.

Even the logistics were occasionally taken into account as a possible give-away. E.g., that's why some camps preferred to use locally produced carbon monoxide, so as not to raise suspicion with the total amount of Zyklon B produced and transported.

Mind you, it wasn't impossible to know it either inside or outside. But it was at least kept at a level at which you could ignore the rumours, if you weren't particularly emotionally invested in finding it out. Turns out that for most people it's enough.

At any rate, it only officially sunk in for the Allied governments and commanders that a genocide had been going on, when they actually occupied a couple of extermination camps. Which was already by the end of the war.

So again it doesn't explain the buildup of hostility before the war.

5. In the end, I think Occam's Razor is the right thing to apply there anyway. Germany's constant breach of treaties and increasing territorial claims, were simply too much to ignore. Each time Hitler wanted just one more piece and then, honest to God, that's it. Then a couple of months later it would be the next piece he wants, and this time it's the final one, bla, bla, bla. At some point it became obvious to anyone that appeasement just simply doesn't work.
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
The reason war was declared was that it became clear Hitler and the Nazis cannot be trusted and that every attempt to cooperate with them merely results in more demands and greater violence.

The watershed events were, I think, the destruction of Czechoslovakia despite promises to the contrary in 1939, and the pogrom against the Jews in November 1938.

Before that, it could be -- and was -- argued that the Nazis were not essentially bad, but merely have a bee in their bonnet about the treaty of Versailles. Appeasing them on this, while cowardly, towards those countries that trusted France and England to protect them from Nazi aggression, at least had its internal logic.

After Kristallnacht and the occupation of what was left of Czechoslovakia even after all of the Nazis' demands were met in the infamously cowardly and perfidious Munich agreement, it became clear that the Nazis are barbarians who can only be stopped by force.
Thank you, that certainly clarifies the situation. If these countries were not opposing Germany due to ideological and humanitarian concerns, is it fair to say that, ceteris paribus, the magnitude of anti-semitism (or Nazi bigotry in general) would not necessarily be causally linked to the magnitude of opposition from these Western European countries?

Was the Jewish population of Western European countries significant enough to take notice of anti-semitism in the Nazi party? Did they care?
barrymore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 09:43 AM   #50
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

TBH, I'm left with the impression that the combination of anti-semitism and anti-communism actually caused a degree of sympathy for Nazi Germany in certain circles abroad.

Of course, the reaction to Kristallnacht proved that it wasn't as widespread as one would think. And may well have been a reason why the "Final Solution" was kept a secret, in as much as possible.

And just to clarify that one in the context of your question of whether genocide might have been a factor. The Kristallnacht, abhorrent as it was, was not yet a proper genocide. It was disguised, in as much as possible, as riotting rather than as official state policy. The SA and SS agents involved were in civillian clothes and, well, pretty much tried to make it look like a riot. And while some 30,000 Jews were arrested, all were released afterwards, sans the IIRC 91 that were killed in the "riotting".

Don't get me wrong, even one innocent killed is too many, so I'm _not_ saying it's ok if it was "only" 91. But if the question was about genocide, that didn't yet qualify as a genocide for the western world.

The Jews in the western world... I don't think they were in a position to do much either way.

Before the "Final Solution" stupidity, Jews were actually encouraged to emigrate if they wanted to. Or probably it's more accurate that they'd face hatred and discrimination if they didn't. Hitler certainly hated them, but he seemed to basically have just wanted them removed, regardless of how. It didn't necessarily have to mean "killed". Yet.

I mean one of the plans actually considered until very late was acturally to create a Jewish state somewhere, and mass deport them there. Palestine was actually considered, though it soon became obvious that the Brits are not that quick to fold in the area. Another area considered was IIRC Madagascar, which also had the advantage of being an island.

The problem was that there was nowhere to emigrate to. The safest place for a Jew to go, and one of the very few options at all, was... Japan, an axis power. There are a few Jewish (small) communities IIRC in China and Japan since WW2, because the Japanese didn't have much of a problem with them (in spite of constant pressure from Nazi Germany to enact anti-semitic laws, I might add) and some of the Japanese leaders actually encouraged Jewish immigration.

Ironically that was a flip side of the same coin. Not all Japanese were doing it out of humanitarian considerations. A lot of Japanese had swallowed the anti-semitic propaganda hook, line and sinker. You know, that Jews end up taking over the banks and commerce, that Jews rule the USA, etc. But to some Japanese that actually sounded like a damn good idea. They actually hoped that importing a few thousand Jews would help their economy _and_ their foreign relations with the USA

But anyway, the best bet for a Jew to emigrate was Japan, not the USA or Western Europe.

So, to get to the actual point of this long roundabout rant: I have to really question how much influence those Jews actually had with their governments. I mean, I'm supposed to believe that they could do something like make their government go to war (see the post of our friend MagZ here), yet they couldn't arrange even a basic refugee camp for the Jews in Germany. Something doesn't quite add up. It seems to me more like actually they had buggerall say in what their country does.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:05 AM   #51
barrymore
Critical Thinker

TBH, I'm left with the impression that the combination of anti-semitism and anti-communism actually caused a degree of sympathy for Nazi Germany in certain circles abroad.

Of course, the reaction to Kristallnacht proved that it wasn't as widespread as one would think. And may well have been a reason why the "Final Solution" was kept a secret, in as much as possible.
On the Wikipedia entry for Kristallnacht, it described the response from the global community as follows:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Kristallnacht pogrom sparked international outrage. It discredited pro-Nazi movements in Europe and North America, leading to eventual decline of their support. Many newspapers condemned Kristallnacht, with some comparing it to the murderous pogroms incited by Imperial Russia in the 1880s. The United States recalled its ambassador (but did not break off diplomatic relations) while other governments severed diplomatic relations with Germany in protest. The British government approved the Kindertransport program for refugee children.

As such, Kristallnacht also marked a turning point in relations between Nazi Germany and the rest of the world. The brutality of the program and the Nazi government's deliberate policy of encouraging the violence once it had begun, laid bare the repressive nature and widespread anti-Semitism entrenched in Germany, and turned world opinion sharply against the Nazi regime, with some politicians even calling for war.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kristal...obal_community

So, I understand that the word "genocide" was premature to use because it was not a genocide at that point. But the wiki entry suggests that outrage over Kristallnacht and overall bigotry was a launching board for Western Europe and the US to speak of (if not, declare) war.

Do you agree with this assessment?
Or, were these countries merely being opportunistic and exploiting the situation in order to pursue alternative economic and political interests? (which is not to say they did not genuinely care about the pogroms).

Last edited by barrymore; 1st February 2010 at 10:07 AM.
barrymore is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 10:10 AM   #52
Skeptic
Banned

Was the Jewish population of Western European countries significant enough to take notice of anti-semitism in the Nazi party? Did they care?
Yes, and yes. They noticed, and used their democratic right to protest and influence to try and influence the policy of Nazi Germany. But no, certainly not enough to make those countries enemies of Hitler by itself.

A good analogy here is the Catholics. Catholics in Germany were also prosecuted in the 1930s. Catholics in other western European countries, especially in Catholic France and -- naturally -- the Vatican, sometimes raised their voice against the Nazis persecution of Catholics.

Did this have an effect on public opinion and policy? Perhaps some. Did it control those countries and determine their policies? Certainly not.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 10:33 AM   #53
aggle-rithm
Ardent Formulist

Originally Posted by Moss View Post
I really wonder if MaGZ has some kind of Pavlovian conditioning going on that causes him to deny.
There is also a rumor out there that Japan developed and tested the atomic bomb before the Americans did. In both cases, the implied reason that neither Germany nor Japan used this technology during the war was that...they just had more class than the US, which was just being a big ol' meanie by actually blowing people up with it.

Woo's razor: Never attribute to stupidity that which can be adequately explained by aliens.
aggle-rithm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 10:47 AM   #54
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

So, I understand that the word "genocide" was premature to use because it was not a genocide at that point. But the wiki entry suggests that outrage over Kristallnacht and overall bigotry was a launching board for Western Europe and the US to speak of (if not, declare) war.

Or, were these countries merely being opportunistic and exploiting the situation in order to pursue alternative economic and political interests? (which is not to say they did not genuinely care about the pogroms).
Well, it caused the international opinion of Germany to reach a new low, and would later be a factor in why they eventually said "**** you!" to Hitler, but it's IMHO simplistic to either call it a launching board or say that it was economic opportunism. For all that outrage, most of the west was still speaking of appeasing Germany, not of war.

To the west's defense and to better understand the situation, though, nobody really wanted another war. WW1 had thoroughly shocked the world, and even for the winners it was very much of a loss and may have helped cause the Great Depression in the long run. The deadly flu epidemic right after the war, also didn't help. The Great Depression was still raging in some places (e.g., Canada's laissez faire policy helped it keep its depression until the 40's) and other places had not fully recovered yet. Most countries were still basically healing after all that, and were really in no position to start another war either for economic gains or for not liking Hitler's anti-semitism. And most of them had massive political and social problems due to the depression (e.g., France was very badly hit in that aspect), and the last thing they needed to justify to their population was starting another war.

IMHO a better candidate for the _real_ turning point, the point where Britain and France actually said "no more", was the invasion and dismemberment of Czechoslovakia in March 1939, in complete breach of the 1938 Munich Pact. (You know, the pact where Hitler had said that the Sudetenland is all the land he wants, and from where Neville Chamberlain had come waving that piece of paper and proclaiming peace in his time.) That's when it became blindingly clear that appeasement simply doesn't work.

Still, they didn't declare war at that point either.

In fact, heck, even past that point Chamberlain and his faction actually insisted that they could secure peace by giving Germany the piece of Poland it wanted, and trusting that Hitler will leave the rest of it alone.

But that faction was diminishing rapidly in popularity or influence. Most people no longer believed that there is any point in trying to appease Germany, and its increasingly cocky international stance didn't earn it any friends either. E.g., the fact that on 28 April 1939, right after the invasion of Czechoslovakia (already a unilateral act of war), Germany promptly unilaterally withdrew from the non-aggression pact with Poland and started basically using military threat to get wat it wanted from Poland.

With that military threat and pressure on Poland mounting, on 25 August the UK signed a mutual defense pact with Poland, and braced itself for war.

So basically I don't think that either anti-semitism nor opportunism played that big a role. Germany was simply setting itself up as the new bully in the European arena, and appeasing the bully just didn't work. At some point someone just had to say "enough, already."

Last edited by HansMustermann; 1st February 2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:53 AM   #55
dudalb
Suspended

German scientists did detonate a nuclear bomb in the Fall of 1944 near the Baltic Sea without the help of Jewish physicists and again in March 1945 in central Germany.

That might well be the single most ridiculous thing I have ever seen at JREF. And that is saying quite a lot.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 10:58 AM   #56
dudalb
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
They wouldn't be the KKK now would they?
Exactly.
Talking about The Nazis not being Anti Semitic is like talking about Water not being Wet.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 10:59 AM   #57
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Just to add: by mid '39 it wasn't even guesswork that Germany intends to attack Poland. Hitler (who apparently still thought he can ally with the UK and conquer the world together) had oppened negotiations with the UK to be allowed to attack Poland. Including such promises as that he'll afterwards put the Wehrmacht in the service of the British Empire, you know, so they can get to conquer someone too.

It's only fair, right? I mean, right?

Dunno. Between the immediate threat to attack Poland, and just not liking his anti-semitism, I personally have no trouble believing that the former outweighed the latter.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:59 AM   #58
ddt
Mafia Penguin

The Western Allies - UK and France at that point - were in no position to launch a war of aggression against Germany, if that's what you're trying to get at. The reason for war was the invasion of Poland - the fourth or so "last" territorial demand from Nazi Germany.

If Hitler had only wanted to eradicate the German Jews, and had not had continuing territorial demands, he probably would have gotten away with it. International politics and international law does not care very much for how you treat or mistreat your own citizens. Still doesn't - though the UN SC in principle has the means for opposing it, Rwanda and Darfur show how poor this works.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 11:14 AM   #59
ddt
Mafia Penguin

The problem was that there was nowhere to emigrate to. The safest place for a Jew to go, and one of the very few options at all, was... Japan, an axis power. There are a few Jewish (small) communities IIRC in China and Japan since WW2, because the Japanese didn't have much of a problem with them (in spite of constant pressure from Nazi Germany to enact anti-semitic laws, I might add) and some of the Japanese leaders actually encouraged Jewish immigration.
There's a great story about Sugihara, the Japanese consul in Kaunas, Lithuania, and Jan Zwartendijk, the Dutch acting consul there. In 1939/1940, Lithuania was swamped with Jewish refugees from Poland - who knew they weren't safe there either for long.

Zwartendijk stamped their passports with "No visa needed for Curacao" - leaving out the part that entry to Curacao was totally at the discretion of the local governor. Sugihara then would issue them transit visa for Japan. This way, thousands of Polish and Lithuanian Jews could escape to Japan.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 12:37 PM   #60
barrymore
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
The Western Allies - UK and France at that point - were in no position to launch a war of aggression against Germany, if that's what you're trying to get at. The reason for war was the invasion of Poland - the fourth or so "last" territorial demand from Nazi Germany.

If Hitler had only wanted to eradicate the German Jews, and had not had continuing territorial demands, he probably would have gotten away with it. International politics and international law does not care very much for how you treat or mistreat your own citizens. Still doesn't - though the UN SC in principle has the means for opposing it, Rwanda and Darfur show how poor this works.
I really was not getting at anything. I was just trying to understand the influence, if any, the bigotry (and the actions resulting from it) of the Nazi party had on the motivations of other countries to engage them in war.

I have had discussions with experts on the EU, who generally believed that the formation of the EU (starting with the ECSC in 1950) was due to the tensions between Germany and France. And by tensions, I mean squabbling over political and economic resources. The EU essentially was setup to prevent another continental war. So, I was just trying to gauge whether how this fit in with factors non-political and economic, from a historical perspective.
Old 1st February 2010, 04:44 PM   #61
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Self-defense seems to me like motive enough. A Germany which started annex left and right, and use military threat, would make a lot of people jumpy even today.
Old 1st February 2010, 07:59 PM   #62
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bigjelmapro View Post
Speculation. Same goes with the alleged tests in Italy around the same period. The Nazi nuclear program was nascent at best which was all but confirmed with the detained German scientists detained during Operation Paperclip.
Not speculation. Eyewitnesses of a mushroom cloud and the blast at night bringing light that you could read a paper by.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 08:03 PM   #63
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by parky76 View Post
The Jews, were not a state. Hence they could not declare war on anyone.

All they did was try to organize a boycott of German goods. Big deal. The world continued to buy lots of German goods up until 1938.

Here is the Nazi Hindenburg in NJ

http://thm-a01.yimg.com/nimage/9e42ae71ab351f68

here it is flying over NYC

http://www.myconfinedspace.com/wp-co...sa-500x362.jpg

some boycott, huh?
Some Jews bought Nazi goods for Palestine in exchange for the right to immigrate.
MaGZ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 09:05 PM   #64
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That might well be the single most ridiculous thing I have ever seen at JREF. And that is saying quite a lot.

It isn't the first time MaGZ has made the claim. He did it in this thread too.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2010, 09:12 PM   #65
Corsair 115
Penultimate Amazing

Not speculation. Eyewitnesses of a mushroom cloud and the blast at night bringing light that you could read a paper by.

Insufficient evidence. You need far more, such as the statements of the scientists and others involved in that purported test; documention of some kind detailing the design of the bomb, where it was assembled, how it was transported to the test site, and how the test was being managed; films and/or photographs of the detonation, along with other scientific measurements; documentation of what happened after the test, such as reactions of the engineers and scientists involved in the test, and reactions by the military and governmental authorities. And that is far from a complete list.

Then you need all that evidence, painstakingly and exhaustively researched, thoroughly documented and referenced, packaged all together into a hefty book. Or books.

Feel free to cite such detailed historical works which unequivocally prove a German atomic bomb detonation.
Corsair 115 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2010, 07:59 AM   #66
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Corsair 115 View Post
Insufficient evidence. You need far more, such as the statements of the scientists and others involved in that purported test; documention of some kind detailing the design of the bomb, where it was assembled, how it was transported to the test site, and how the test was being managed; films and/or photographs of the detonation, along with other scientific measurements; documentation of what happened after the test, such as reactions of the engineers and scientists involved in the test, and reactions by the military and governmental authorities. And that is far from a complete list.

Then you need all that evidence, painstakingly and exhaustively researched, thoroughly documented and referenced, packaged all together into a hefty book. Or books.

Feel free to cite such detailed historical works which unequivocally prove a German atomic bomb detonation.
Donīt worry. In no time, heīll present us with a link to a bunch of crap some conspiracy moron has published on a neo-nazi website - as usual.
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2010, 12:22 PM   #67
dudalb
Suspended

Uh, you don't need a Atomic Blast for those things.

Old 2nd February 2010, 03:35 PM   #68
Simon39759
Master Poster

I really was not getting at anything. I was just trying to understand the influence, if any, the bigotry (and the actions resulting from it) of the Nazi party had on the motivations of other countries to engage them in war.

I have had discussions with experts on the EU, who generally believed that the formation of the EU (starting with the ECSC in 1950) was due to the tensions between Germany and France. And by tensions, I mean squabbling over political and economic resources. The EU essentially was setup to prevent another continental war. So, I was just trying to gauge whether how this fit in with factors non-political and economic, from a historical perspective.

Well, basically, before the Kristalnacht a few other countries were luke-warm about Nazism, sometime considering him a good protection against the threat of communism or just liking his overly conservative agenda: 'Hitler rather than Blum' (referencing the French -Jewish- lefty head of state at the time) was for a time a mantra of some French conservatives.
After the night of crystal revealed the rabid anti-semitism of Hitler, this support started to falter in most of the West.

Still, it wasn't enough to raise enough outrage to start the war, there had been a pro-war faction for a long time -Churchill was quite vocal about it and the French and Soviet governments had been helping the Spanish Republican army to fight in the Spanish civil war- but people were recovering from the atrocities of WWI and the suffering of the great depression. The prospect of a war was very unpopular.

As people mentioned, France and the UK only decided to go to war after the repeated violations of treaties by Hitler made it clear that his expansionism had to be stopped and would not stop on his own.
This happened after the invasion of Tchekoslovakia and Poland.
Simon39759 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2010, 08:38 PM   #69
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Donīt worry. In no time, heīll present us with a link to a bunch of crap some conspiracy moron has published on a neo-nazi website - as usual.
No, not this time. Eventually you will all acknowledge Germany had the bomb.
Old 2nd February 2010, 09:55 PM   #70
Thunder
Banned

then why didn't they use it?

i don't think they had a workable atomic weapon.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2010, 10:14 PM   #71
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Exactly.
Talking about The Nazis not being Anti Semitic is like talking about Water not being Wet.
It was just a thought exercise in alternate history esp. regarding WW II. Comments like this are barely more useful than the crap MaGZ is spewing.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2010, 03:23 AM   #72
Chaos
Penultimate Amazing

Because you did not even present the usual ridiculous bullflop to prove your claims? Hardly.

I know you are not familiar with the concept, so I suggest you spend some time familiarizing yourself with the word "evidence" and its meaning before you continue.
Chaos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2010, 04:48 AM   #73
VonKleist
Muse

Jawohl. Venn zey are launched from zer secret Antarctikan bases.
Old 3rd February 2010, 05:53 AM   #74
Cleon
King of the Pod People

Originally Posted by garethdjb View Post
Jawohl. Venn zey are launched from zer secret Antarctikan bases.
Or...From the very moon itself!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 3rd February 2010, 06:14 AM   #75
Simon39759
Master Poster

Another thing is the whole anti-semitism is part and parcel of the concepts of uber/untermensch with it itself the argument for the lebensraum which is the ideological reason for the expansionism of the Nazis that lead to the invasion of Poland and the Soviet Union.

Racism was the core tenet of National Socialism and ideology was the ultimate drive behind their policies.
It's hard to pinpoint which specific aspect of the Nazi policy would have changed for, without their racism and anti-semitism, there entire worldview would have been different...
Simon39759 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2010, 07:58 AM   #76
Thunder
Banned

make me.
Thunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2010, 08:03 PM   #77
Matthew Ellard
Graduate Poster

I believe you have gathered this "gem" of informaton from holocaust denier, Ernst Zundel's Nazi UFO website. Zundel uses the name "Christof Friedrich", his middle names, as a pseudonym in his NAZI UFO rants.

Here is an overview of how "nutty" Zundel actually is
http://www.nizkor.org/hweb/people/z/...xpedition.html

He also published a book.."The Hitler we loved and why"
http://www.infibeam.com/Books/info/C...593640234.html

The Holocaust Denial industry has people like Zundel and Irving sell books to complete idiots for profit. That's why holocaust denial exists....to sell books to a captive audience of low brows.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2010, 08:23 PM   #78
Trojan
Critical Thinker

This is of course either a lie or a sick joke
Trojan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2010, 05:41 AM   #79
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

I've quoted this in the correct thread, now.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2010, 07:01 AM   #80
MaGZ
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Because you did not even present the usual ridiculous bullflop to prove your claims? Hardly.

I know you are not familiar with the concept, so I suggest you spend some time familiarizing yourself with the word "evidence" and its meaning before you continue.
Evidence for you and others on this forum is something that is agreed upon consensus. This standard is not always the truth.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts