ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , jeffrey meldrum

Old 23rd February 2020, 08:15 AM   #1
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Dr. Jeffrey Meldrum - America's "Bigfoot Professor" - Part Deux

Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
Our group is participating in a sasquatch conference and one of the speakers will be Dr. Meldrum. So not only will I be meeting him for the first time, I will be picking him up from the airport and driving him to the conference location which is about 2 1/2 hours away.

I understand he is not held in high regard on this forum but I don't share that sentiment. I do respect the man and am truly looking forward to meeting and being able to talk to him without interruption.

My question to this group is if you had this type of access, what would you ask him? If I think you have a serious and legitimate question, I will ask him and reply back with what he said.

The conference is 6 weeks out so let me know. Obviously I'm going to ignore all BS questions but am interested in hearing your thoughts.
Well, the man's reputation is as laughable as they come. A scientist who misuses his trade and bends the truth, hiding behind his tenure while peddling fraudulent evidence and supporting fraudulent claims.

It's not BS questions you need to ignore when it comes to good ol' Jeff, it's BS answers.

Mod InfoThread continued from here.

You may quote or respond to any post from the previous part.
Posted By:zooterkin

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'

Last edited by zooterkin; 5th March 2020 at 09:26 AM.
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockysmith76 View Post
Whether you believe the Bigfootz is real or you don't, Meldrum sold out to being a "Celebrity" Bigfooter long ago, so yes, that does at least partially impact his "credibility.
A Mormon scientist who goes around the country selling obviously man-made Bigfoot casts to grown men in Harry Potter t-shirts. Literally no credibility involved.

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2020, 08:58 PM   #3
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Gilbert Syndrome View Post
Well, the man's reputation is as laughable as they come. A scientist who misuses his trade and bends the truth, hiding behind his tenure while peddling fraudulent evidence and supporting fraudulent claims.

It's not BS questions you need to ignore when it comes to good ol' Jeff, it's BS answers.
What other questions could there be of a BS shoveller shovelling BS about a BS subject?

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Cervelo
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
What other questions could there be of a BS shoveller shovelling BS about a BS subject?
The real question is why does someone act as a shill for the BS'er. What is the mindset of someone who has a desire to protect the BS'er, it's very much a cult like behavior.
Cervelo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 08:06 AM   #5
Drewbot
Philosopher

Does anyone remember this lovely bit from Dr. Meldrum?
https://beta.capeia.com/zoology/2017...-north-america

The Shrike had some nice comments on the article.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 02:23 PM   #6
jerrywayne
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Does anyone remember this lovely bit from Dr. Meldrum?
https://beta.capeia.com/zoology/2017...-north-america

The Shrike had some nice comments on the article.
I thought both The Shrike and Dr. Meldrum scored some points in their exchange. Dr. Meldrum's position as he articulates it: "There is much compelling evidence, stopping short of "conclusive," which as I have always acknowledged, would require a type specimen." The problem here is that Dr. Meldrum behaves as if that "compelling evidence" is conclusive (notice he puts the word conclusive in quotes as if to diminish it). He behaves as if he hasn't any real doubt in a field that requires substantial doubt to be credible.
jerrywayne is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 10:30 AM   #7
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jerrywayne View Post
I thought both The Shrike and Dr. Meldrum scored some points in their exchange. Dr. Meldrum's position as he articulates it: "There is much compelling evidence, stopping short of "conclusive," which as I have always acknowledged, would require a type specimen." The problem here is that Dr. Meldrum behaves as if that "compelling evidence" is conclusive (notice he puts the word conclusive in quotes as if to diminish it). He behaves as if he hasn't any real doubt in a field that requires substantial doubt to be credible.
I consider the lack of a type speciment to be pretty conclusive evidence of non-existence There is simply no way that such a creature could exist in North America without leaving a trace.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2020, 10:35 AM   #8
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
I consider the lack of a type speciment to be pretty conclusive evidence of non-existence There is simply no way that such a creature could exist in North America without leaving a trace.
Absence of evidence is evidence of absence where evidence is necessarily expected.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2020, 11:38 AM   #9
The Shrike
Philosopher

Ah, the Meldrum version of the Gish Gallop, enabled by naive editors and assclown fanbois.
The Shrike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal