ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Are you willing to work for free if the goods and services are free?
Yes 19 33.93%
No 26 46.43%
I don't know 11 19.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th September 2020, 07:06 AM   #1681
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
What make people starve is to have to pay for food.
No. What makes people starve is the absence of food.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2020, 06:24 PM   #1682
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
No. What makes people starve is the absence of food.
Interestingly many historic HG groups didn't have money not even the concept of it and they were often involved in wars with other local tribes, faced starvation on a cyclical pattern, abuse from the weather and disease and had a high death rate among their elders and new born. So having no money wasn't that great for them.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 01:15 AM   #1683
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Interestingly many historic HG groups didn't have money not even the concept of it and they were often involved in wars with other local tribes, faced starvation on a cyclical pattern, abuse from the weather and disease and had a high death rate among their elders and new born. So having no money wasn't that great for them.
We are not historic, there is a lot of food if it would distributed without asking for money there would be no starvation
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 01:36 AM   #1684
Matteo Martini
Banned

We are not historic, there is a lot of food if it would distributed without asking for money there would be no starvation
One may say there is a lot of food because we use money
Matteo Martini is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 05:38 AM   #1685
Myriad
Hyperthetical

We are not historic...

Well, not yet. Eventually we will be, of course.
Old 26th September 2020, 09:25 AM   #1686
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Thank you for confirming that without money, food would not be distributed.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 11:06 AM   #1687
Hans
Philosopher

...but we don't believe you! In the past they had no money yet they starved. Explain how you are going to prevent that.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2020, 12:56 PM   #1688
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by MMarco View Post
One may say there is a lot of food because we use money
One may indeed say that. We could not feed several billion humans if it were not for the tools and technologies we have invented over history. Money is one of those tools.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 01:25 AM   #1689
Gaetan
Illuminator

A lot of people would be a lot starving if they wouldn't have the food for free.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 03:05 AM   #1690
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

A lot of people would be a lot starving if they wouldn't have the food for free.
7,800 million people are alive. Perhaps as many as 9 million die of hunger each year. Do you feel bad about that? I feel bad about that.

Why don't we just give them food for free? Well, most live in countries with surplus food but with ongoing conflicts and wars. So the problem is not so simple as you hoped.

In fact, although I intended this to be a longer reply, maybe we should just leave it here, because the point has been made: Your idea, and any idea starting "Why don't we just...?", is fantasy for the simple reason that humans can't agree to "just" do anything, as illustrated by the fact we still have wars. Nobody is in charge. That will not change.

Come up with a plan to make the world fairer which might work with nobody in overall control and we'll talk.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 07:34 AM   #1691
Leftus
Master Poster

Besides keyboard warrioring, what are you doing to resolve these problems?
Leftus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2020, 08:31 AM   #1692
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

There's no doubt that the distribution of wealth in the world is skewed, and many things could be improved, but it seems worthwhile to point out that not only the production but the processing and distribution of food can be complex and costly, in time and effort and facilities. Many people now starve, to be sure, but many now also are fed for free because others are willing to pay the cost of getting the food to them.

I have no doubt that the system as it exists is deeply flawed and that greater generosity and better management would result in far fewer people starving, but simply eliminating money and throwing the responsibility back on the growers of food is not the solution. Parts of the world are in a state of drastic famine, and those of us who contribute toward helping in these times have no resources with which we can help alleviate this except by contributing money toward the purchase, transportation and distribution of food.

I can always grow veggies and shoot the deer in the back yard, and the Peruvians can flourish on potatoes and guinea pigs, and so on, but that will not feed the millions starving in drought and plague elsewhere in the world. Someone has to fund that.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2020, 02:07 PM   #1693
Leftus
Master Poster

And many places would not be facing droughts if rain was distributed equally.
Leftus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 07:36 AM   #1694
Gaetan
Illuminator

Here is a notional hero who denounced your work, you people don't work for America but just rich people of your country and your next president will defend the interest of just the richer who ever he his.
Old 30th September 2020, 07:38 AM   #1695
Joe Random
Master Poster

For as bad as 2020 has been at least I can say it was the year where I got to see a human being fail the Turning Test.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2020, 12:39 PM   #1696
Leftus
Master Poster

Here is a notional hero who denounced your work, you people don't work for America but just rich people of your country and your next president will defend the interest of just the richer who ever he his.
I actually DO work for America. Paycheck from the Treasury and all that.

Again, besides flaying at your keyboard, what are you doing to right the injustices you've identified? Besides working for those very "rich" you deplore?
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:20 AM   #1697
Gaetan
Illuminator

Here is a national hero who denounced your work:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden
Old 2nd October 2020, 09:20 AM   #1698
Leftus
Master Poster

Here is a national hero who denounced your work:

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden
My work? Snowden didn't denounce me by name or agency. Care to lie again?
Old 2nd October 2020, 01:07 PM   #1699
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Snowden doesn't know who you are and is not promoting to get rid of money.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2020, 02:13 PM   #1700
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Little 10 Toes View Post
Snowden doesn't know who you are and is not promoting to get rid of money.
Gaetan is also unaware that many of us are of different nationalities. I have no clue why. He appears to think the only nation is America for whom we all apparently work.

Oddly, he cites the french version of wiki. Perhaps that revealed more than intended, but I don't know.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2020, 08:38 AM   #1701
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Gaetan is also unaware that many of us are of different nationalities. I have no clue why. He appears to think the only nation is America for whom we all apparently work.

Oddly, he cites the french version of wiki. Perhaps that revealed more than intended, but I don't know.
Well, my best guess is he is a French Canadian.

It suits his fantasy that we are all CIA agents. How he got the idea that his idea, or this forum, is so important it demands dozens of CIA agents, I'll never know. When ISF goes, the world follows?
Old 11th October 2020, 01:25 PM   #1702
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Well, my best guess is he is a French Canadian.

It suits his fantasy that we are all CIA agents. How he got the idea that his idea, or this forum, is so important it demands dozens of CIA agents, I'll never know. When ISF goes, the world follows?
Everything said on internet or by phone is listen, read, and recorded in the goal to protect the interest of the richest and your government hate human rights.

Last edited by Gaetan; 11th October 2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11th October 2020, 01:44 PM   #1703
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Everything said on internet or by phone is listen, read, and recorded in the goal to protect the interest of the richest and your government hate human rights.
Great, so you just asserted that your own claims, said here on the internet, are "in the goal to protect the interest of the richest".

Once again, no one can agree with you until you can, at the very least, agree with just yourself.
Old 11th October 2020, 01:45 PM   #1704
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Any evidence? Of course not.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2020, 03:10 PM   #1705
Leftus
Master Poster

Well, with potential butchers, like you, trying to decimate society, they might have a reason.

As for hating human rights, you know your plan does that with a far greater efficiency than any government to date? Your property, your labor, belongs to the community. There is no humanity in it at all. No humanity, no human rights. The mass graves we will end up filling will prove the point, Mr Butcher.
Old 13th October 2020, 06:18 AM   #1706
KayBur
New Blood

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Great, so you just asserted that your own claims, said here on the internet, are "in the goal to protect the interest of the richest".

Once again, no one can agree with you until you can, at the very least, agree with just yourself.
Agree, there have always been conspiracy theories and paranoia. I will not argue that the government thinks directly about each individual citizen. First of all, everyone should think about himself and strive for well-being. Someone says that "everything is done for the rich," because the rich tend to live better and better. But let's face the facts. The rich in their time made the right decision, made the right choice and were able to earn their capital with their own talent and work. But those who sit and wait for the weather from the sea, do nothing to improve their own situation, they often play out fantasies about how everyone around them owes them and what these "all" are ungrateful and do nothing for them.
KayBur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th October 2020, 06:54 AM   #1707
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
Agree, there have always been conspiracy theories and paranoia. I will not argue that the government thinks directly about each individual citizen. First of all, everyone should think about himself and strive for well-being. Someone says that "everything is done for the rich," because the rich tend to live better and better. But let's face the facts. The rich in their time made the right decision, made the right choice and were able to earn their capital with their own talent and work. But those who sit and wait for the weather from the sea, do nothing to improve their own situation, they often play out fantasies about how everyone around them owes them and what these "all" are ungrateful and do nothing for them.
Well, universal statements are problematic to being with. Everything, everyone, no one, nothing, ect... Only one counterexample disproves them, so the limiting modifiers (almost, most, some, all but) become the crucial detail. As the saying goes, 'The devil is in the details' which derived from 'God is in the details'. While Gaetan likes to profess the inspiration of god he can't really support it as of god or the devil. As that is in the details and if you read this thread you'll find Gaetan simply doesn't do, well, details.
Old 14th October 2020, 03:39 PM   #1708
Hans
Philosopher

....and who is translating and reading all this? 4.5 billion people are on the internet as of July of this year. Another billion or two + or so above that have no internet but do have access to a phone.

So how many people would you need to process all that? Yes you can use computer but at some point a human has to see it. Where are these people?

You might want to look at how East Germans did in processing all this type of data - basically they didn't.

Really so is the NSA listening to what is going on in say Albania? Do they listen to the Ts’ixa - a tribal group in SA, who have only two hundred or so speaker left of that language - does the NSA listen to them too? LOL

Let me add a challenge to Gaetan; Since you are an 'expert' in this can you tell me exactly what I must say to be immediately arrested or killed? Or do they listen but do nothing?

Last edited by Hans; 14th October 2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 15th October 2020, 07:02 AM   #1709
Leftus
Master Poster

So how many people would you need to process all that? Yes you can use computer but at some point a human has to see it. Where are these people?
Did you not see this documentary? Includes images from inside the NSA.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

This joke contains more facts and evidence than anything and everything Gaetan has ever provided.
Old 16th October 2020, 09:13 AM   #1710
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
Did you not see this documentary? Includes images from inside the NSA.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

This joke contains more facts and evidence than anything and everything Gaetan has ever provided.
Great!
Old 17th October 2020, 05:10 PM   #1711
Gaetan
Illuminator

It is not necessary to have one spy to read and listen every American, they have robots who clutch on specific words or sentences in order to protect the interest of richest. That system was made to spy all around the world.
Old 17th October 2020, 05:18 PM   #1712
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
As if being rich or poor was a matter of choice!
Old 17th October 2020, 05:19 PM   #1713
Hans
Philosopher

It is not necessary to have one spy to read and listen every American, they have robots who clutch on specific words or sentences in order to protect the interest of richest. That system was made to spy all around the world.
So, what are those sentences.

I asked before but you ignored it - so here is the same question again:

Let me add a challenge to Gaetan; Since you are an 'expert' in this can you tell me exactly what I must say to be immediately arrested or killed? Or do they listen but do nothing?
Old 17th October 2020, 06:26 PM   #1714
Gaetan
Illuminator

So, what are those sentences.

I asked before but you ignored it - so here is the same question again:

They watch people in the interest of richests, they'll do nothing if someone says on phone that he is going to kill his wife. The robot will intercept it but the spy will do nothing, he works in the interest to preserve the money of the richest.
Old 18th October 2020, 11:28 AM   #1715
Leftus
Master Poster

They watch people in the interest of richests, they'll do nothing if someone says on phone that he is going to kill his wife. The robot will intercept it but the spy will do nothing, he works in the interest to preserve the money of the richest.
Can you provide any evidence on how you know this to be true?

Are you the CIA insider that you project onto everyone else?

Why is the robot flagging conversations of murder and yet nobody acting on it? Why flag it at all? Why not just ignore stuff you aren't acting on? Seems wasteful.
Old 18th October 2020, 11:38 AM   #1716
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Makes you wonder what the most dangerous things are to say. I mean, what if I went on the internet and said "Let's abolish money!"? That would be a real catastrophe for the rich if it happened. Their wealth and privilege would simply vanish.

I expect I'd be bundled into a sack by sinister agents and driven away in the back of an unmarked van within a day or two of saying something like that. Right?
Old 18th October 2020, 11:53 AM   #1717
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Who decides what's "in the interest of richests"?

As if being rich or poor was a matter of choice!
While it is possible to simply be born or thrust into either class. Moving from one to the other can also be a matter of choice.

Isn't your whole argument for getting rid of money simply due to the fact that all of those "richests" aren't choosing to be poor by giving up, or sharing, everything they have?

Is it not also one of your repeated assertions that Christ told his disciples not to take money or payment, thus specifically deciding to be poor and live off the benevolence of others?

Your assertions particularly acknowledge the relevance of choice as much as they exemplify you apparently want that choice just to be yours.
Old 18th October 2020, 03:35 PM   #1718
Hans
Philosopher

So, you avoid the question again

You previously said:

Quote:
How do they protect the interests of the richest?

Again what would I have to say to cause them to immediately imprison or kill me?

Now, since you are threat to them why are you allowed to post?
Old 18th October 2020, 03:38 PM   #1719
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Makes you wonder what the most dangerous things are to say. I mean, what if I went on the internet and said "Let's abolish money!"? That would be a real catastrophe for the rich if it happened. Their wealth and privilege would simply vanish.

I expect I'd be bundled into a sack by sinister agents and driven away in the back of an unmarked van within a day or two of saying something like that. Right?
Yeah I was wondering if you have a world wide organization protecting the richest who are rich in money this guy would be a threat but oddly he seems to be alive and well.
Old 18th October 2020, 03:40 PM   #1720
Hans
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Who decides what's "in the interest of richests"?
Yeah whose in charge of this insidious operation. I suspect our friend doesn't know.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance