ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th August 2018, 12:53 PM   #1
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Time for the UK to marginalise the monarchy?

Or just make it even less than a sideshow, like some other European nations?

When the current Prime Minister (admittedly a totally crap one) abases herself before a man who is two steps from the monarchy I tend to despair. If he were king I'd still despair. Even he must have felt embarrassed, and maybe blushed?

This PM is leading the UK in utterly game-changing, maybe seriously damaging, Brexit times. Dear FSM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg curtsey.jpg (92.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 9th August 2018, 01:06 PM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Is that a curtsey or a sudden muscle failure? Looks awkward as hell on multiple levels.
Old 9th August 2018, 01:24 PM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Was keeping the Queen waiting actually a good thing?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 01:27 PM   #4
fagin
Philosopher

Is that Captain Pugwash?
Old 9th August 2018, 01:30 PM   #5
Diablo
Muse

It is a bit embarrassing. I little nod would have done the trick. But then she's an inadequate of the first order.
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 01:31 PM   #6
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

It is now just a traditional greeting, part of the pomp and circumstance of the Monarchy. It is not a sign of subservience, as it was originally intended.
Old 9th August 2018, 01:34 PM   #7
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
When the current Prime Minister (admittedly a totally crap one) abases herself before a man who is two steps from the monarchy I tend to despair.
This looked like just the sort of thing DPRK News Service would have something to say about. Sure enough, they do.

PS: just in case it isn't obvious, that's a parody account.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 01:35 PM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
It is now just a traditional greeting, part of the pomp and circumstance of the Monarchy. It is not a sign of subservience, as it was originally intended.
Nice try, but no
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 01:43 PM   #9
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Can't we just marginalise Theresa May instead?

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 01:50 PM   #10
crescent
Master Poster

The monarchy is good branding for the U.K. Probably pays for itself in tourism and in the way that the cachet of royalty contributes some of the desire for members some of the overseas territories and dominions choose to remain associated with GB. Better trade deals and such can spring from that.

Then again, regular British people ought not to be showing anything like subservience to the monarchy. There is history and tradition, which has it benefits - but the royals are not the leaders anymore.

Royalty is the UK mascot and the keepers of tradition, and are useful as such. That said, elected leadership owes them nothing, as elections show the will of the people better than history or tradition do.
crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 01:52 PM   #11
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

PM Theresa May was following protocol. This shows good manners and proper etiquette.

This is what we expect from leaders of a country.
Old 9th August 2018, 02:27 PM   #12
GlennB

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
PM Theresa May was following protocol. This shows good manners and proper etiquette.

This is what we expect from leaders of a country.
Bollocks. Nobody is expected to perform that way. It's just plain weird, and this is the leader of my government acting well weird, while seeming to revel in it.

(After a moment's reflection I realise you were being deeply ironic. Nice one )
Old 9th August 2018, 02:53 PM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

She needs to wear a different style of skirt if she's going to do that. Bad form to fall onto a future King.
Old 9th August 2018, 02:58 PM   #14
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

If it anyone else in that pose, I'd think it sarcastic.
Old 9th August 2018, 04:00 PM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I'm not conversant with the protocol; when making such a movement, is farting permitted and/or expected?
Old 9th August 2018, 04:02 PM   #16
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

No.
Old 9th August 2018, 04:03 PM   #17
Rincewind
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I'm not conversant with the protocol; when making such a movement, is farting permitted and/or expected?
It's mandatory.
Old 10th August 2018, 12:37 AM   #18
GlennB

Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
It's mandatory.
'Inevitable' is the word I'd use.
Old 10th August 2018, 03:32 AM   #19
Information Analyst
Philosopher

When the current Prime Minister (admittedly a totally crap one) abases herself before a man who is two steps from the monarchy I tend to despair. If he were king I'd still despair. Even he must have felt embarrassed, and maybe blushed?

This PM is leading the UK in utterly game-changing, maybe seriously damaging, Brexit times. Dear FSM.
I'm not sure an awkward woman's inability to curtsey is a reason to do anything other than to either show her how to do it correctly, or tell not to bother.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 03:34 AM   #20
Information Analyst
Philosopher

"How dare you fart before the King?"
"Sorry, I didn't know it was his turn."
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 04:36 AM   #21
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Meh, it's still less embarrassing than holding Trump's hand.
Old 10th August 2018, 04:41 AM   #22
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Bollocks. Nobody is expected to perform that way. It's just plain weird, and this is the leader of my government acting well weird, while seeming to revel in it.

(After a moment's reflection I realise you were being deeply ironic. Nice one )
Let's hear it from the horse's mouth:
Quote:
There are no obligatory codes of behaviour when meeting The Queen or a member of the Royal Family, but many people wish to observe the traditional forms.

For men this is a neck bow (from the head only) whilst women do a small curtsy. Other people prefer simply to shake hands in the usual way.
So (a) it wasn't needed, and (b) if this is May's idea of a curtsy, she's doing it wrong. But we already knew she wasn't up to the job.
"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf

"I think accuracy is important" - Vixen
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 08:12 AM   #23
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Is that a curtsey or a sudden muscle failure? Looks awkward as hell on multiple levels.
I've been asking that question ever since she became PM.
Old 10th August 2018, 08:22 AM   #24
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If it is tourism we are looking for I suggest we go down the French route, they seem to have managed to get all the tourism they need from their royals at the lowest cost.
Old 10th August 2018, 01:22 PM   #25
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
I'm not sure an awkward woman's inability to curtsey is a reason to do anything other than to either show her how to do it correctly, or tell not to bother.
Not a reason, but a decent enough occasion.
mumblethrax is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 01:40 PM   #26
welshdean
6 NATIONS 2016
-MORAL VICTORS-

Yeah, time for May to go I think. Bring on Boris!!!!!!!
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 01:44 PM   #27
welshdean
6 NATIONS 2016
-MORAL VICTORS-

Rotflmao.

Or, jeebus, I can't believe I'm saying this, Jacob Rees-Mogg.
You know if I wasn't laughing, I'd be inconsolable with tears.

Alternatively, we could get Corbyn. Ffs.
The mind boggles.
"In science it often happens that scientists say, "You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken," and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion."
Carl Sagan 1934 - 1996 RIP
welshdean is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 03:20 AM   #28
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
If it is tourism we are looking for I suggest we go down the French route, they seem to have managed to get all the tourism they need from their royals at the lowest cost.
I've often considered that. The Louvre and Versailles are often visited by tourists, even though they're no longer used as royal residences. The Eiffel Tower is an object of interest to visitors even though it was erected to commemorate the centenary of the revolution that ended royal power in France. Monarchs can be dispensed with as far as tourists are concerned.

What will happen to the image of the Royal Family, I wonder, after the end of the present reign, if it ever does end? The Queen is very good at her job, such as it is, and enjoys wide public respect and even affection. Will these be extended to her heirs?
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 03:32 AM   #29
Diablo
Muse

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
I've often considered that. The Louvre and Versailles are often visited by tourists, even though they're no longer used as royal residences. The Eiffel Tower is an object of interest to visitors even though it was erected to commemorate the centenary of the revolution that ended royal power in France. Monarchs can be dispensed with as far as tourists are concerned.

What will happen to the image of the Royal Family, I wonder, after the end of the present reign, if it ever does end? The Queen is very good at her job, such as it is, and enjoys wide public respect and even affection. Will these be extended to her heirs?
Good question. Charles and Camilla would not be a good act imo, but I doubt there's any way to skip directly to Wills.
Diablo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 03:48 AM   #30
Lplus
Student

Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Good question. Charles and Camilla would not be a good act imo, but I doubt there's any way to skip directly to Wills.
Unless Charles abdicates immediately?
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 04:16 AM   #31
Diablo
Muse

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
Unless Charles abdicates immediately?
Oh sure, but he's waited all his life to be king so I doubt he'd give it up easily. Maybe the people who offed Diana could have another go.
Old 11th August 2018, 04:29 AM   #32
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I see. So you are a blood-thirsty Madame Guillotinist. Wants to see Her Maj's head roll. You want her charged and brought before the courts as a common Mrs. E. Windsor.

How dare you.

The Royal Family have been appointed by divine right.

You should be carted off to the Tower for your heresy.
Old 11th August 2018, 04:43 AM   #33
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I see. So you are a blood-thirsty Madame Guillotinist. Wants to see Her Maj's head roll. You want her charged and brought before the courts as a common Mrs. E. Windsor.

How dare you.

The Royal Family have been appointed by divine right.

You should be carted off to the Tower for your heresy.

I didnít expect the Spanish Inquisition!

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 04:45 AM   #34
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
Can't we just marginalise Theresa May instead?

Sheís doing her best.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 04:51 AM   #35
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post

The Queen is terrible at her "job" . One has to untangle her current performance (because of her age) and her performance over many decades. She has always done what she wants when she wanted, let's do on a state visit to Canada, well I never imagine there are historical horse racing happening at the same time. Let's do a historic visit to Ireland the first Monarch of the UK to do so for a 100 years, apparently a visit of much political significance , check out her itinerary for day 3 and 4.
Old 11th August 2018, 04:52 AM   #36
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Not the comfy chair!
Old 11th August 2018, 05:16 AM   #37
Mojo
Mostly harmless

The Queen is terrible at her "job" . One has to untangle her current performance (because of her age) and her performance over many decades. She has always done what she wants when she wanted, let's do on a state visit to Canada, well I never imagine there are historical horse racing happening at the same time. Let's do a historic visit to Ireland the first Monarch of the UK to do so for a 100 years, apparently a visit of much political significance , check out her itinerary for day 3 and 4.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-prince-philip

Old 11th August 2018, 05:16 AM   #38
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, the French got plenty of my money when I did a bike tour of the Loire Valley and the Ch‚teau and no one expected me to bow to anyone. Send your inbred to trailer parks like we do in the US and open the castles to the tourists.

ETA: It's 2018, why on earth do you still have the lucky sperm club involved in your government? They've never been elected and never passed the civil service exam. Why are they involved in your government at all?

Last edited by Craig4; 11th August 2018 at 05:21 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2018, 05:26 AM   #39
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

https://youtu.be/QqreRufrkxM
Old 11th August 2018, 05:29 AM   #40
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Oh dear, Darat. You do look at the world through a jaded eye.

It's a bloody hard job. How many people do you know who are still working at age 92?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events