ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atheism , Atheism Plus , Free Thought Blogs

Reply
Old 19th November 2013, 04:33 PM   #121
Empress
Piggish
 
Empress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blandings Castle
Posts: 2,210
Originally Posted by squealpiggy View Post
Hey I only feminism 69 if you know what I'm saying

You're a chick, right?
...um...I am...
__________________
One prefers, of course, on all occasions to be stainless and above reproach, but, failing that, the next best thing is unquestionably to have got rid of the body.
― P.G. Wodehouse
Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 02:10 PM   #122
recursive prophet
Graduate Poster
 
recursive prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 1,477
Well, I see this thread is finally winding down, along with A+. Given how few registered users are logged in there over the last few months-rarely up to 10-I've been amazed that they were able to keep the Potemkin index page updated. But that is finally withering.

When I just checked there were 2 members there and only 4 of the index topics were from today. So it looks to me like the core group who were maintaining the facade are finally giving up the ghost. Hopefully that site will serve as a cautionary tale for those attempting to promote feminism and social justice, both worthy causes.

Somebody here should write A+'s requiem. Try and make it constructive and charitable, if possible.
__________________
Hanlon's Razor: Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.
recursive prophet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd November 2013, 02:28 PM   #123
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing
 
blutoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,618
Originally Posted by recursive prophet View Post
Hopefully that site will serve as a cautionary tale for those attempting to promote feminism and social justice, both worthy causes.
I think that's a good suggestion. Could we do a postmortem and consider the challenge that skepticism faces in balancing promotion of a progressive social/public engagement with the risk of hitching onto a lunatic fringe.

I think in the past, this has been isolated to a debate about support for atheism advocacy, but it's clear to me that most mainstream skeptical organizations do have a roadmap to address recruitment of underrepresented demographics, religous minorities notwithstanding, so let's hope we can all learn from this.



Originally Posted by recursive prophet View Post
Somebody here should write A+'s requiem. Try and make it constructive and charitable, if possible.
"Rest In Plus"
__________________
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." - Terry Pratchett
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2013, 05:09 PM   #124
adamwho
Scholar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 90
Quote:
Hopefully that site will serve as a cautionary tale for those attempting to promote feminism and social justice, both worthy causes.
The cautionary tale isn't about promoting feminism and social justice, it is about pretending that they are equivalent to atheism and skepticism. It is about group think and us-against-them attitudes. It is about thought policing and dogma.
__________________
We should be most critical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently critical of those we don't - Penn
adamwho is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2013, 06:07 PM   #125
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing
 
Mr. Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,546
Originally Posted by adamwho View Post
The cautionary tale isn't about promoting feminism and social justice, it is about pretending that they are equivalent to atheism and skepticism. It is about group think and us-against-them attitudes. It is about thought policing and dogma.
I think it turned out to be something different from what it was intended to be.

It seemed to be intended as atheist skeptics who were interested in social justice.

It was hijacked by radical social justice warriors who happened to be atheists but felt little or no affinity with the atheist or skeptic movements, and had little or no facility for critical thinking.

Their initial call to arms (from Urban Dictionary) was:
Quote:
"We are...
Atheists PLUS we care about social justice,
Atheists PLUS we support women’s rights,
Atheists PLUS we protest racism,
Atheists PLUS we fight homophobia and transphobia,
Atheists PLUS we use critical thinking and skepticism."

"It’s time for a new wave of atheism ... that cares about how religion affects everyone and that applies skepticism to everything, including social issues like sexism, racism, politics, poverty, and crime."

(Jen McCreight)

Last edited by Mr. Scott; 23rd November 2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: I keep thinking of better wording
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:03 PM   #126
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 12,131
Originally Posted by adamwho View Post
The cautionary tale isn't about promoting feminism and social justice, it is about pretending that they are equivalent to atheism and skepticism. It is about group think and us-against-them attitudes. It is about thought policing and dogma.
Indeed. And if feminism is a worthy cause, then so is every other form of sexism.
__________________
"Sufficiently advanced malice is indistinguishable from incompetence. = godless Dave
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 07:49 AM   #127
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,353
Originally Posted by recursive prophet View Post
Well, I see this thread is finally winding down, along with A+. Given how few registered users are logged in there over the last few months-rarely up to 10-I've been amazed that they were able to keep the Potemkin index page updated. But that is finally withering.

When I just checked there were 2 members there and only 4 of the index topics were from today. So it looks to me like the core group who were maintaining the facade are finally giving up the ghost. Hopefully that site will serve as a cautionary tale for those attempting to promote feminism and social justice, both worthy causes.

Somebody here should write A+'s requiem. Try and make it constructive and charitable, if possible.
Aye, they're defiantly on the wane. They got what they wanted though, a small group of elites operating in an echo chamber. Quality over quantity, if you will.

I'm wondering whether their wind down had anything to do with the ceepolk's departure. There's a story over on the slymepit that has Ceepolk getting fired from A+. Apparently the issue stemmed from when she rounded on Setar over the Hiroshima thing and the fight moved into the secret area. Ceepolk apparently crossed a line and was let go and it looks like she could have taken several prolific posters with her. When was the last time we heard from the likes of the Entwife, Sylvia Sybil, Buckle ?

I don't know how the 'pit would come to have this information save having a mole in the secret forum.

I was expecting something to be posted live from Skepticon last weekend but nary a word was spoken. Contrast this with the 'pit who had a running blow by blow commentary of all the interesting stuff. The gun incident, RW drinking all the free booze, the photo under the elevator sign.

Even Setar hasn't been posting there lately.

At least we still have the comment section of FtB to turn to for our SJ lulz
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 08:00 AM   #128
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,353
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
I think it turned out to be something different from what it was intended to be.

It seemed to be intended as atheist skeptics who were interested in social justice.

It was hijacked by radical social justice warriors who happened to be atheists but felt little or no affinity with the atheist or skeptic movements, and had little or no facility for critical thinking.

Their initial call to arms (from Urban Dictionary) was:
I don't buy that unless Jen was very very very naive about SJ. Anybody with any SJ experience at all should know that SJ is incompatible with atheism and critical thinking. All we need to do is look at the concept of Islamophobia for evidence of this. I was surprised to see Ceepolk actually come out and say it, ( hands off the brown people's religions ) but Ceepolk was really a gift to those of us critical of SJ machinations.

There's way too many assumptions that have to be made in order to function as an SJW. Just look at the ridiculous concept of "cultural appropriation".

Speaking of...check out this YouTube video if 10 000 Japanese singing Ode to Joy. Would this be considered cultural appropriation and therefore racist ? In Japan by Japanese SJWs maybe ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6s6YKlTpfw
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 08:03 AM   #129
Diogenes
Muse
 
Diogenes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 978
Originally Posted by Stout View Post
I don't buy that unless Jen was very very very naive about SJ....
Hopefully in her retreat from all of it she's passed her qualifying exams and is on to finish a dissertation and actually graduate.
Diogenes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 09:00 AM   #130
Stout
Illuminator
 
Stout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,353
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
Hopefully in her retreat from all of it she's passed her qualifying exams and is on to finish a dissertation and actually graduate.
She seemed pretty quick to toss her A+ baby into the dumpster maybe she realized the leap from a brilliant idea, boobquake to full on SJ was one she shouldn't have taken so earnestly.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 09:50 AM   #131
gentlehorse
Master Poster
 
gentlehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,604
Originally Posted by adamwho View Post
The cautionary tale isn't about promoting feminism and social justice, it is about pretending that they are equivalent to atheism and skepticism. It is about group think and us-against-them attitudes. It is about thought policing and dogma.
I believe that was recursive prophet's point.
gentlehorse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th November 2013, 10:20 PM   #132
recursive prophet
Graduate Poster
 
recursive prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Escondido, CA
Posts: 1,477
Originally Posted by gentlehorse View Post
I believe that was recursive prophet's point.
Indeed it was gentlehorse. Thanks for clarifying that for me, and to stout for the latest on ceepolk. She was the one who banned me there.

Ceepolk's demise comes as no surprise I suspect, to most here. After they had banned all those of privilege I think it was inevitable they would go at it among themselves. You know, the battle for who was the least privileged and all. With a group of egocentric pontificators like those at A+ there has to be targets for scorn. I've seen many other sites where something similar has gone down. A+ was just the most flagrant example.
__________________
Hanlon's Razor: Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.
recursive prophet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 11:52 AM   #133
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing
 
blutoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 11,618
Originally Posted by adamwho View Post
The cautionary tale isn't about promoting feminism and social justice, it is about pretending that they are equivalent to atheism and skepticism. It is about group think and us-against-them attitudes. It is about thought policing and dogma.
I'm not sure if that was the problem, though. They're not the only segment of skepticism to draw an equivalence between skepticism and specific social causes.

In an earlier post, I drew attention to the original founding vision of 'modern skepticism' which probably goes back to Paul Kurtz. Kurtz deliberately set up a two-pronged organization in 1980 as follows:
  • Council For Secular Humanism (CSH) - advocacy of "humanist values", including free speech, freedom of religion, racial and sexual equality
  • Council for Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal (CSICOP) - investigating paranormal claims

Kurtz argued that Humanism was Applied Skepticism.


For various reasons, these were restructured in 1991 as follows:
  • Center For Inquiry - "foster a secular society based on science, reason, freedom of inquiry, and humanist values"
    • CSH - advocacy of "humanist values", including free speech, freedom of religion, racial and sexual equality
    • CSI - investigating paranormal claims

The merger was not entirely material - the underlying philosophy was that the directors did feel there was really one mission. Specific social advocacy naturally follows from critical thinking.


IIRC, DJ Grothe has gone on record several times saying that gay rights advocacy was the inevitable obligation of all critical thinkers. ie: that skepticism and gay rights have so much in common that they are essentially a shared movement.


No: I think the problem was that they unwittingly failed the site curation balance between letting people convey their thoughts versus tempering uncivil or mentally unstable activity.
__________________
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." - Terry Pratchett
blutoski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 04:26 PM   #134
qwints
Muse
 
qwints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 697
Regardless of the outcome of the atheismplus forum, reading critical threads like this makes clear to me that there are problems in the atheist and skeptical communities worth addressing. Hopefully, the flaws of this particular criticism doesn't prevent the valid points from being addressed.

I'll certainly say that this discussion has illuminated me on the extent people harmonize their political preferences with other beliefs. Lots of people seem to be convinced that their world view is coherent and comprehensive, and that those who disagree aren't just wrong on a particular issue but on everything.
__________________
“If you can get religion out,” Bill O’Reilly warned, “then you can pass secular progressive programs, like legalization of narcotics, euthanasia, abortion at will, gay marriage.”
qwints is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 05:31 PM   #135
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 21,597
As you've popped back in, qwints, is there any chance you could link to the research I asked you to last time you were here?
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 06:08 PM   #136
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,519
Originally Posted by qwints View Post
Regardless of the outcome of the atheismplus forum, reading critical threads like this makes clear to me that there are problems in the atheist and skeptical communities worth addressing. Hopefully, the flaws of this particular criticism doesn't prevent the valid points from being addressed.

I'll certainly say that this discussion has illuminated me on the extent people harmonize their political preferences with other beliefs. Lots of people seem to be convinced that their world view is coherent and comprehensive, and that those who disagree aren't just wrong on a particular issue but on everything.
Please tell me you see the irony.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 06:19 PM   #137
qwints
Muse
 
qwints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 697
@Squeegee, here's another study I find persuasive.

On the other hand, here's a meta-analysis that found no result.

@Mark, I don't. I'm talking about people I've talked with both here and on atheismplus.
__________________
“If you can get religion out,” Bill O’Reilly warned, “then you can pass secular progressive programs, like legalization of narcotics, euthanasia, abortion at will, gay marriage.”
qwints is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 06:32 PM   #138
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall
 
Brainache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 17,030
I think it was Scrut who said early on that A+ would probably destroy itself before the end of the year.

Give that man a million dollars!
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th November 2013, 07:43 PM   #139
Diogenes
Muse
 
Diogenes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 978
Originally Posted by qwints View Post
...

@Mark, I don't. I'm talking about people I've talked with both here and on atheismplus.
If anything atheismplus.com has resulting in me having less empathy and less sympathy for self-identified SJW folks than I had before. The levels of narcissistic self-enabling reached heights that I honestly thought were only possible in fiction. There are people that, apparently, have such a delicate disposition that their internet access probably should be supervised or restricted in some way for their own health.

I did learn what kinds of language to look out for that will tell me the train is about to leave the station for crazytown, so that was a very useful lesson. Anytime I see "privilege" come up in a non-academic context I'll know it is time to ask for the check and vacate the premises.
Diogenes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2013, 03:22 AM   #140
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 21,597
Originally Posted by qwints View Post
@Squeegee, here's another study I find persuasive.
From the study itself, page 7:

Quote:
Note that the direction of effects between sustained video game play and aggression could not be ascertained in this model as sustained violent video game play was not clearly occurring prior to changes over time in aggression.
In other words, it cannot be determined which is the cart and which is the horse.

I also question the methodology. Self-assessment isn't a particularly reliable way of assessing the factors they're exploring. Furthermore, the whole stuty seems to be based around Anderson's flawed studies. And, rather than assessing changes in people over time, what they did was survey people from grades 9 through 12 and then compare them with predictive modelling.

Where they do compare aggression and violent video game playing to see whether one is predictive of another, they only do so for grades 11 and 12, which is exactly the same as the previous studies they were criticising and the flaws of which they claimed they did this study to eliminate. Also, while they claim to account for third variables, they only account for those in grade 11. In other words they controlled for variables such as violent home life, marijuana use*, etc. in the grade 12 children by using survey results gathered from an entirely different set of grade 11 children.

And I question whether those results actually say what they claim they do. They claim that frequency of violent video game playing in grade 11 significantly predicted aggression in grade 12, but that aggression in grade 11 didn't significantly predict violent video game playing in grade 12. However, if you look at figure 3 with the controls for external factors, you'll see that there's a 0.08 correlation between aggression in grade 11 and violent video game playing in grade 12, and a 0.08 correlation between violent video game playing in grade 11 and aggression in grade 12. That's exactly the same.

To be fair, though, most of these criticisms are noted by the authors in the discussion section, and they also make the point that there is no indication that it is the violence, rather than the increased competition and pace of violent video games which have these effects (if, indeed, such effects exist). In fact, two of the three authors have published another study which purports to show that any effects are the effects of competition and that violent content is irrelevant. I've not yet read this study, so can't comment on the contents, but I thought it was an interesting thing to note.

*And I would love to know whether they thought being a heavy toker was likely to make you more or less violent.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 26th November 2013 at 03:25 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2013, 10:56 AM   #141
qwints
Muse
 
qwints's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 697
Good point on the competition versus violence aspect - the study you cite contrasts Fuel with Left for Dead 2, showing that the non-violent but competitive game had a larger effect on behavior than the violent but less competitive game. For the sake of completeness, I would like to see you analyze that studies methodology since I don't think you should only critique the methodology of studies you agree with.

On the other study, you're wrong. First, reviewing the literature in a field is standard - studies that disagree with Anderson, like the meta-analysis I posted earlier, also discuss his work. That discussion informs their study construction because they use it to conduct a study designed to address a gap in the research (as they also do in teh second study you cited.) Second, this was a longitudinal study and they were not using one cohorts grade 11 results to control for another cohorts grade 12 results. Rather, they used grade 11 results to examine the same cohort's grade 12 result*. Finally, while it's true that the unstandardized coefficient of both methods of causation was the same in magnitude, only violent video games** association with aggression was statistically significant, not the other way around.

*It's worth noting that they found violent video games associated with aggression in the next year but not the other way around for 2 of the 3 years. There was no association between violent video games in grade 10 and aggression in grade 11, unlike the other two transitions.

**Specifically, they compared "action and fighting games" with "puzzle, art, building model worlds and quiz games." Obviously this plays into the next study since the latter are both non-violent and fairly non-competitive in contrast with a racing game like Fuel.
__________________
“If you can get religion out,” Bill O’Reilly warned, “then you can pass secular progressive programs, like legalization of narcotics, euthanasia, abortion at will, gay marriage.”
qwints is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2013, 12:56 PM   #142
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 21,597
Originally Posted by qwints View Post
Good point on the competition versus violence aspect - the study you cite contrasts Fuel with Left for Dead 2, showing that the non-violent but competitive game had a larger effect on behavior than the violent but less competitive game. For the sake of completeness, I would like to see you analyze that studies methodology since I don't think you should only critique the methodology of studies you agree with.
I neither agree nor disagree with the second study. I've not read it. I'm not claiming anything about the results.

Quote:
First, reviewing the literature in a field is standard - studies that disagree with Anderson, like the meta-analysis I posted earlier, also discuss his work.
I didn't say they discussed it, I said that they based their research off it.

Quote:
Second, this was a longitudinal study and they were not using one cohorts grade 11 results to control for another cohorts grade 12 results. Rather, they used grade 11 results to examine the same cohort's grade 12 result*.
I didn't say they did. I said that they took the grade 11's results and used them to examine the grade 12's results. That tells you what the relationship is between two different groups of people, not how two different aspects of one group of people evolves over time.

Quote:
Finally, while it's true that the unstandardized coefficient of both methods of causation was the same in magnitude, only violent video games** association with aggression was statistically significant, not the other way around.
You're right, I misread that.

I'm still not entirely sure that it's a valid comparison, though. Nobody claims that aggressive behaviour over time causes people to seek out more violent video games. Why would it? That doesn't mean that aggression is caused by violent video games, rather than an aggressive nature being the cause of playing violent video games.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2013, 01:14 PM   #143
WillyWonka
Thinker
 
WillyWonka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
If anything atheismplus.com has resulting in me having less empathy and less sympathy for self-identified SJW folks than I had before. The levels of narcissistic self-enabling reached heights that I honestly thought were only possible in fiction. There are people that, apparently, have such a delicate disposition that their internet access probably should be supervised or restricted in some way for their own health.

I did learn what kinds of language to look out for that will tell me the train is about to leave the station for crazytown, so that was a very useful lesson. Anytime I see "privilege" come up in a non-academic context I'll know it is time to ask for the check and vacate the premises.
I have the same feeling. They are mostly about victimhood and not been understood by the world.

Interestingly, in their thread about how to change the justice system, there were no discussion or even an interesting suggestion on how to do it. Only Lovely stating that you should put in prison any man where a woman is claiming rape; trial optional. They also suggested to muzzle journalists in using words like "allege". I would have though that "oppressed" people would have lots of ideas on how to change the system, but, no, it must be so much easier to complain.
WillyWonka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2013, 02:40 PM   #144
Edx
Philosopher
 
Edx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,642
Originally Posted by WillyWonka View Post
Only Lovely stating that you should put in prison any man where a woman is claiming rape; trial optional. .
Thats not just a view restricted to AtheismPlus, sometimes they don't even realise what they are saying themselves. Remember this picture that was going around not a long time ago? So they judge them all guilty by default.

Last edited by Edx; 26th November 2013 at 02:41 PM.
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 01:28 AM   #145
Quinn
Breathtakingly blasphemous.
 
Quinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,309
Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
If anything atheismplus.com has resulting in me having less empathy and less sympathy for self-identified SJW folks than I had before. The levels of narcissistic self-enabling reached heights that I honestly thought were only possible in fiction. There are people that, apparently, have such a delicate disposition that their internet access probably should be supervised or restricted in some way for their own health.

I did learn what kinds of language to look out for that will tell me the train is about to leave the station for crazytown, so that was a very useful lesson. Anytime I see "privilege" come up in a non-academic context I'll know it is time to ask for the check and vacate the premises.

I'm pretty sure that's not what they mean when they say that.

But seriously, seconded on all counts. I would also add kyriarchy, erasing (when describing something done to a person rather than a computer file or pencil drawing), spoons (when used to describe a level of personal ability rather than cutlery) and sawcasm (when not a typo) to the list of quick indicators that the discussion has achieved escape velocity from reason.
__________________
It's not a matter of living life without mystery or wonder. It's a matter of living life without the approval of people who ignorantly assume that by rejecting the irrational, I experience no mystery or wonder. And frankly, I do just fine without that.

Last edited by Quinn; 27th November 2013 at 01:29 AM.
Quinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 06:59 AM   #146
Joe Random
Graduate Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,795
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not what they mean when they say that.

But seriously, seconded on all counts. I would also add kyriarchy, erasing (when describing something done to a person rather than a computer file or pencil drawing), spoons (when used to describe a level of personal ability rather than cutlery) and sawcasm (when not a typo) to the list of quick indicators that the discussion has achieved escape velocity from reason.


Don't forget the various versions of 'splaining'. Don't feel like taking the time to show the flaws in someone's argument? Why then just tell them they're not entitled to an opinion on the subject by simple virtue of who they are! Try this magical phrase on for size : "You can stop <rnd>splaining to me now.".
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 09:54 AM   #147
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing
 
Mr. Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,546
Also, I think it was amazing that they considered people with mental health problems an underprivileged minority that needed protection from discrimination. So much so, in fact, that they were elevated to special snowflake status such that people with mental health problems were given positions of power in their hierarchies (see my sig). I'm sorry, but this is disastrous policy. People with mental health problems need to be kept out of positions of power over other people (history has shown they can work against the common good), and treated for their problems.
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 10:21 AM   #148
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 21,597
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
Also, I think it was amazing that they considered people with mental health problems an underprivileged minority that needed protection from discrimination. So much so, in fact, that they were elevated to special snowflake status such that people with mental health problems were given positions of power in their hierarchies (see my sig). I'm sorry, but this is disastrous policy. People with mental health problems need to be kept out of positions of power over other people (history has shown they can work against the common good), and treated for their problems.
I think that's a little sweeping and stereotyping. How, exactly, are you defining "mental health problems", and can you provide evidence which conclusively demonstrates that people with mental health problems being put in positions of power over those who don't have mental health problems is inevitably a bad thing?
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 10:32 AM   #149
SimplyAghast
Thinker
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 228
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I think that's a little sweeping and stereotyping. How, exactly, are you defining "mental health problems", and can you provide evidence which conclusively demonstrates that people with mental health problems being put in positions of power over those who don't have mental health problems is inevitably a bad thing?
You make a good point. There are folks with Twitter-induced PTSD who are shining lights of this skeptical community and do sooooooo much good for the field.
SimplyAghast is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 11:30 AM   #150
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 21,597
Originally Posted by SimplyAghast View Post
You make a good point. There are folks with Twitter-induced PTSD who are shining lights of this skeptical community and do sooooooo much good for the field.
Yeah, that helps, thanks.

FWIW, people who, by Mr. Scott's post, should not be put in positions of authority over others include Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Gandhi, and Martin Luther King Jr.

As I said, it seems a rather sweeping and stereotyping statement. There's enough social stigma around mental illness as it is, without the idea being perpetuated that all people with mental health issues are dangerous to be around, or that their thoughts and ideas are necessarily worthless.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.

Last edited by Squeegee Beckenheim; 27th November 2013 at 12:13 PM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 11:44 AM   #151
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell
 
dasmiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Well past Hither, looking for Yon
Posts: 5,920
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I think that's a little sweeping and stereotyping. How, exactly, are you defining "mental health problems", and can you provide evidence which conclusively demonstrates that people with mental health problems being put in positions of power over those who don't have mental health problems is inevitably a bad thing?
Gonna go with Squeegee here. It's certainly easy to come up with disastrous job/diagnosis combinations (a sociopathic paramedic, perhaps, or an agoraphobic lineman), but in other cases, the problem doesn't significantly impact ones work.

AFAIK, hoarding can be a very serious problem, but a lot of hoarders have successful careers, and their coworkers have no idea about their hoarding. This is probably true for a lot of forms of OCD.

I had one coworker who was pretty far along the autism spectrum, but was the right guy to lead a project because he was the only one who could understand all the depths and subtleties of the problem they were working. True, his people skills weren't great (nor were they disastrous), but I suspect that if he'd been more 'normal,' he would have lacked the near-superhuman focus that the problem required.

Etc, etc.

I certainly wouldn't celebrate mental illness, and I'm all for treating it when possible. And A+ was . . ummm . . . probably not where I'd look for positive examples of people functioning effectively despite mental health problems.

But for the general question about whether it's necessarily a bad thing for someone with mental health problems to be in a 'position of power,' I'd say we have to take it on a case-by-case basis.
__________________
"In times of war, we need warriors. But this isn't a war." - Phil Plaitt
dasmiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 12:42 PM   #152
Dissolution
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,306
Well put, Dasmiller.
Dissolution is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th November 2013, 07:36 PM   #153
Mr. Scott
Under the Amazing One's Wing
 
Mr. Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,546
Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
But for the general question about whether it's necessarily a bad thing for someone with mental health problems to be in a 'position of power,' I'd say we have to take it on a case-by-case basis.
Cool, I'll agree with that.
Mr. Scott is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th November 2013, 12:06 PM   #154
WillyWonka
Thinker
 
WillyWonka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 218
Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Don't forget the various versions of 'splaining'. Don't feel like taking the time to show the flaws in someone's argument? Why then just tell them they're not entitled to an opinion on the subject by simple virtue of who they are! Try this magical phrase on for size : "You can stop <rnd>splaining to me now.".
Another one is "trigger". You do not get your A+ gold badge without having at least 5-6 triggers that nullify all your spoons and leave you in a state of total disarray.

In the complaining thread, Mocha wrote:

<<
complaining TW: TSA [ Hide ]
I'm leaving to visit my family today, which requires going on an airplane for fast enough travel to make the trip possible. This means I have to get a TSA feel up. I can't go through the full body scanners because they will fry my cyborg parts.

I hate the screening. I always feel so triggered afterward. But, because I'm doing it of my own free will, I somehow lose my right to complain or be triggered according to everyone who isn't in the loop on SJ stuff (AKA friends and family). So I get to be triggered in silence.

...

It was terrible and I ended up crying (and I still am) and they took away my medically necessary fluids.

>>
WillyWonka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2013, 06:00 AM   #155
squealpiggy
Graduate Poster
 
squealpiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by WillyWonka View Post
Another one is "trigger". You do not get your A+ gold badge without having at least 5-6 triggers that nullify all your spoons and leave you in a state of total disarray.

In the complaining thread, Mocha wrote:

<<
complaining TW: TSA [ Hide ]
I'm leaving to visit my family today, which requires going on an airplane for fast enough travel to make the trip possible. This means I have to get a TSA feel up. I can't go through the full body scanners because they will fry my cyborg parts.

I hate the screening. I always feel so triggered afterward. But, because I'm doing it of my own free will, I somehow lose my right to complain or be triggered according to everyone who isn't in the loop on SJ stuff (AKA friends and family). So I get to be triggered in silence.

...

It was terrible and I ended up crying (and I still am) and they took away my medically necessary fluids.

>>
Just got back from a trip overseas. The most distressing part of the screening process is that you have to take out your laptop and tablet and cables while holding boarding cards and passports and all that mucking about.

I didn't cry. I just sent bitchy texts to my wife about how I was annoyed.
squealpiggy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2013, 10:16 AM   #156
gentlehorse
Master Poster
 
gentlehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,604
Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
... has achieved escape velocity from reason.
A+ in a six-word nutshell--

Last edited by gentlehorse; 29th November 2013 at 10:18 AM.
gentlehorse is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2013, 11:40 AM   #157
Edx
Philosopher
 
Edx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,642
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I think that's a little sweeping and stereotyping. How, exactly, are you defining "mental health problems", and can you provide evidence which conclusively demonstrates that people with mental health problems being put in positions of power over those who don't have mental health problems is inevitably a bad thing?
I think you're asking the wrong question Squeegee. Their entire perception of "privilege" is what the problem is.
Edx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2013, 11:47 AM   #158
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 21,597
Originally Posted by Edx View Post
I think you're asking the wrong question Squeegee. Their entire perception of "privilege" is what the problem is.
The problem I was addressing was the post that Mr. Scott made. He has since implicitly backed down from it so, as far as I can see, problem solved.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2013, 03:32 PM   #159
Joe Random
Graduate Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,795
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The problem I was addressing was the post that Mr. Scott made. He has since implicitly backed down from it so, as far as I can see, problem solved.
Polite, rational resolution of a disagreement triggers me. You've got me shaking with rage right now. Thanks for erasing what few spoons I had left. I feel like I've just been gaslighted again by a heteronormative, cisbinarypriviledraperaperaperrorerrorerror(@^+9nL I#$(=,c
.
.
.
.
NO CARRIER
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th November 2013, 03:52 PM   #160
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall
 
Brainache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canberra
Posts: 17,030
Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The problem I was addressing was the post that Mr. Scott made. He has since implicitly backed down from it so, as far as I can see, problem solved.
That's enough Politesplaining out of you!

BANNED!!!
Brainache is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:36 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.