ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Closed Thread
Old 13th June 2018, 03:35 PM   #121
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Why don’t you just go back and see what I was wasting time responding to?
Doesn't really matter. You said that the case was from "New York State". It isn't.

Really, doesn't matter what you were responding to. What you said was just plainly false. Surely, you can admit that.

ETA: In fact, the whole digression had to do with your bizarre notion that this situation is like Venezuela, when in fact what's going on here is that a moderately independent DOJ is investigating certain persons related to the Trump campaign and administration. Not really very similar to the political climate in Venezuela. But never mind. What you said was simply false and your refusal to admit this fact seems positively inspired by our CinC.

Last edited by phiwum; 13th June 2018 at 03:38 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 03:36 PM   #122
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No you’ve got it wrong again, probably because you’re very uninformed of what’s going on. The case against Cohen is from New York State. Only corrupt liberals up there. You didn’t know that did you. I don’t see why not, it’s been in the news constantly. Would you like to tell us why you didn’t know something that was so obvious?
WRONG AGAIN! What a surprise! The SOUTHERN DISTRICT of NEW YORK SDNY is a branch of FEDERAL COURT! There are 94 Federal DISTRICT Courts of which the Southern District of New York is one.

Another example of a district court is where the Stormy Daniels case is taking place. That is the California Central District.

BTW, Rudy Giuliani was once the lead attorney for the SDNY and James Comey worked for him.

Last edited by acbytesla; 13th June 2018 at 03:39 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 03:40 PM   #123
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
WRONG AGAIN! What a surprise! The SOUTHERN DISTRICT of NEW YORK SDNY is a branch of FEDERAL COURT! There are 94 Federal DISTRICT Courts of which the Southern District of New York is one.

Another example of a district court is where the Stormy Daniels case is taking place. That is the California Central District.

BTW, Rudy Giuliani was once the lead attorney for the SDNY and James Comey worked for him.
Surely, you mean "liberal California state" and "liberal Rudy Giuliani".

Oh, and "lying James Comey". Or something.

Last edited by phiwum; 13th June 2018 at 03:41 PM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 03:51 PM   #124
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
There is literally no chance whatsoever that someone who read the IG's report would call McCabe a hero.

Or perhaps I am all wet about this, and McCabe was in fact a hero, for leaking the fact that the FBI was investigating the Clinton Foundation shortly before the election in order to mitigate the blowback from the fact his wife took money from her pal.
He might have been over zealous but moderation in the face of treason is no virtue. He hurt Trump and that's what patriotism is right now.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 03:51 PM   #125
logger
Banned

Never said what you’re dreaming I said. My comment was directed towards the politics of these New York State prosecutors. Further, their outright heavy handed tactics of raiding this guys office and stealing his privileged communications is like any other foreign dictator. I’m sure you and Phiwum will read however you like.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 03:53 PM   #126
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He might have been over zealous but moderation in the face of treason is no virtue. He hurt Trump and that's what patriotism is right now.
No, no it's not.

An assassin would not be a patriot, but nothing that you've written recently suggests otherwise.
Old 13th June 2018, 03:55 PM   #127
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I get it!!, the OIG report is just like the 9/11 Commission report and the McCabe truthers are just like 9/11 truthers in that they didn't read it and if they did, they didn't understand it.

Next level self owns going on here!
Worse case scenario, McCabe is indicted in one of the two least friendly districts to Trump in the country. It's okay if they let McCabe off. Only registered voters serve in Federal Juries and those voters rejected Trump. I have no issue unfairly stacking the deck against the prosecution of someone who stood up to a traitor.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 03:56 PM   #128
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

A small amount of critical thinking would lead you to come to the conclusion that Trump is embroiled in this investigation, even by some who say they are Republicans, funny that.

I suppose you’re not informed enough to have heard the term “never Trumpers”?

On top of that we even have judges who have ruled against Trump, oh my.
You denied you were talking about Republicans.

You claimed you were talking about “the government”.

I pointed out that “the government” - which you tried to pretend was an unrelated entity to Republicans - is currently being run by Republicans.

I know you struggle to create some semblance of internal logic in your loopy, nonsensical conspiracy theories, but some of us are trying to steer you in the general direction of rational thought.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 03:56 PM   #129
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Never said what you’re dreaming I said. My comment was directed towards the politics of these New York State prosecutors. Further, their outright heavy handed tactics of raiding this guys office and stealing his privileged communications is like any other foreign dictator. I’m sure you and Phiwum will read however you like.
What New York State prosecutors do you have in mind? The raid was done by the DOJ. Don't you understand that?

You understand that this is a federal matter, right? One run by the DOJ involving an attorney appointed (in the interim) by Sessions, who was appointed by Trump. This has ****-all to do with "liberal New York State".
Old 13th June 2018, 04:00 PM   #130
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
You denied you were talking about Republicans.

You claimed you were talking about “the government”.

I pointed out that “the government” - which you tried to pretend was an unrelated entity to Republicans - is currently being run by Republicans.

I know you struggle to create some semblance of internal logic in your loopy, nonsensical conspiracy theories, but some of us are trying to steer you in the general direction of rational thought.
Do you somehow strangely think every republican, especially ones in government like this president? You couldn’t possibly be that narrow in your thinking.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 04:00 PM   #131
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
No, no it's not.

An assassin would not be a patriot, but nothing that you've written recently suggests otherwise.
I would never advocate violence against Trump. He opened that door and in that direction leads madness. I would never advocate his extra legal removal. Nothing McCabe is accused of doing doesn't happen ten times a day in this town. Strategic leaks in this town have always been a political weapon. I go after him criminally, selectively is manifestly unfair. The fact he may have done it to damage a traitor makes McCabe far more laudable than most who engage in the practice.
Old 13th June 2018, 04:05 PM   #132
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What New York State prosecutors do you have in mind? The raid was done by the DOJ. Don't you understand that?

You understand that this is a federal matter, right? One run by the DOJ involving an attorney appointed (in the interim) by Sessions, who was appointed by Trump. This has ****-all to do with "liberal New York State".
Cohen's partner ate a state charge and he agreed to talk to federal prosecutors. This was a signal to Trump and Cohen. It's imprortant to remember that if it's a financial crime, if it's unlawful under Title 18 it's probably also a crime under the New York Penal Code. I would doubt that the USAs in the Southern District of New York were oblivious to the pardon threat and worked with the DAs to make sure there were corresponding state charges that the New York governor was not likely to pardon.
Old 13th June 2018, 04:06 PM   #133
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Did you mean to again cite articles that contradict your assertion that they want to prevent the defendants from obtaining access to the material?

protip; attorney eyes only materials are preventing them from giving it to the defendants.

Thanks for the super links, tho.
Utterly bizarre. The defense already agreed to the rest of the discovery limitations. The two disagreements laid out in the request are sharing information with co-defendants not in court, and the process for authorizing other foreign nationals not already listed in the order.

Quote:
The government and defense counsel have agreed on many procedures designed to enable
the government to turn over discovery expeditiously and without redactions while protecting
information that affects government interests involved in this case, as well as privacy interests of
victims and uncharged third parties. Defense counsel also agrees that discovery is only to be used
for the defense of the case. The parties also agree to limit review of discovery to authorized parties
(but disagree on who should be permitted to be designated an authorized party). Defense counsel
also agrees that for certain discovery designated as sensitive, defense counsel will maintain
discovery at their U.S. offices and agrees not to physically or electronically transport any such
materials outside the United States.

The government and Concord Management, however, have not been able to reach
agreement on two key provisions. First, due to the number of co-defendants who have chosen not
to appear in the United States and are beyond the reach of U.S. legal process, the government
seeks, in the first instance, not to allow any co-defendant charged in this criminal case to review
discovery until the co-defendant appears before this Court. (Proposed Order, ¶ 2). The proposed
protective order provides that if defense counsel, after reviewing discovery in this matter, believes
it necessary to seek to disclose or discuss any material with a co-defendant who has not appeared
before this Court, counsel must first seek permission from this Court and a modification of this
Order. (Proposed Order, ¶ 2).

Second, to avoid unnecessarily undermining ongoing law enforcement and national
security investigations, the proposed protective order outlines a mechanism to regulate disclosure
of particularly sensitive material to foreign nationals.
Linky.

The already authorized people in the proposed protective order:

Quote:
Authorized persons shall be limited to: (a)
persons retained by defense counsel to assist in the defense of the criminal case; (b) persons who
are interviewed as potential witnesses; (c) counsel for potential witnesses; (d) designated
individual officers and employees of Defendant Concord Management and Consulting LLC
(“Concord Management”)
; and (e) other persons to whom the Court may authorize disclosure.
Linky. (Emphasis mine.)

This request isn't about McCarthy or hiding evidence from the defendants. It is entirely about preventing the information being shared.

Last edited by Tsukasa Buddha; 13th June 2018 at 04:09 PM.
Tsukasa Buddha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 04:07 PM   #134
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I would never advocate violence against Trump. He opened that door and in that direction leads madness. I would never advocate his extra legal removal. Nothing McCabe is accused of doing doesn't happen ten times a day in this town. Strategic leaks in this town have always been a political weapon. I go after him criminally, selectively is manifestly unfair. The fact he may have done it to damage a traitor makes McCabe far more laudable than most who engage in the practice.
Okay, thanks for the clarification. Some of the things you've said made me wonder.
Old 13th June 2018, 04:10 PM   #135
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Do you somehow strangely think every republican, especially ones in government like this president? You couldn’t possibly be that narrow in your thinking.
You do realize that the DOJ is being run by Trump appointees, yes?

Anyway, back to the point at hand: Has the raid anything to do with mean ol' liberal New York State or not?
Old 13th June 2018, 04:14 PM   #136
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Some of the things you've said made me wonder.
I reject any notion that there are rules of civility, decency, respect or honor that could apply to Trump, the members of his family of age involved in his administration or campaign, or his direct supporters. I would never advocate for violence (though I recognize and am indifferent to the risks dehumanizing him entails) or an extra legal end to his presidency. We're still a strong enough nation to deal with a traitor within the confines of the law.
Old 13th June 2018, 04:14 PM   #137
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

LMAO

You really DON'T know what you are talking about. But that isnt a surprise as you constantly fail to define these terms. Was Mark Sanford a liberal?

The fact is, that raid was approved by a Federal judge and by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and they took the extremely necessary precautions to protect any attorney client privileges. A taint team and even a Special Master was appointed to assure rights were protected. But Cohen wasn't really an attorney and there was very little privileged information.
Old 13th June 2018, 04:18 PM   #138
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

No you’ve got it wrong again, probably because you’re very uninformed of what’s going on. The case against Cohen is from New York State. Only corrupt liberals up there. You didn’t know that did you. I don’t see why not, it’s been in the news constantly. Would you like to tell us why you didn’t know something that was so obvious?
So your logic neither Trump nor Cohen should have anything to worry about.

After all, if Trump is actually such a very good deal maker that you say he is, and if New York is so very corrupt as you say it is,

then Trump should have no trouble at all in getting out of this mess.

Maybe Trump can just buy a round of porn stars and illegal laborers for all concerned and that will be the end of it.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 05:10 PM   #139
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
that's kind of unfair - like not telling you in advance that your house will be searched.
Sarcasm, right?

Trump has muddied the legal waters here implying it's unfair the FBI won't tip him off.
Old 13th June 2018, 05:13 PM   #140
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
This is weird:
Quote:
Another person who is enjoying the West Wing’s current power structure is Jared Kushner. Trump’s son-in-law had been sidelined by Kelly this past winter when he lost his security clearance. Now, Kushner openly flaunts his status in front of Kelly, having had his clearance restored. According to a Republican in frequent contact with the White House, Kushner recently stood up and walked out of a meeting that Kelly was leading. Kushner has told people that Kelly will be gone by the end of summer, according to a person who’s spoken with him recently. “Jared is strutting around with his balls out,” said the Republican.

Spoiled little rich kids.
Old 13th June 2018, 05:15 PM   #141
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Good to see an American patriot fighting back.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/12/polit...uit/index.html

The Whore doesn't have a great track record in court. Let's hope he wins.
The time is approaching for a whole slew of dominos to start falling one after the other.
Old 13th June 2018, 05:32 PM   #142
dudalb
Suspended

Looks as though Cohen is going to go Joe Valachi on Trump.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 05:40 PM   #143
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Looks as though Cohen is going to go Joe Valachi on Trump.
Don't count your chickens just yet. We are a long way away from Cohen flipping.

And watch, I'll be wrong about this too.
Old 13th June 2018, 06:27 PM   #144
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Well well well, color me not surprised:

NYT:
Quote:
The dispute between Mr. Cohen and his lawyers involves the payment of his legal bills, part of which are being financed by the Trump family. ...

It is not uncommon for clients — even those, like Mr. Cohen, who have not yet been charged with a crime — to change their lawyers in the middle of a case. And while Mr. Cohen’s split from the McDermott team, which was first reported by ABC News, marked a significant moment in the proceedings, there was no certainty that he would strike a deal with the prosecutors and thus place Mr. Trump into further legal jeopardy.

Mr. Cohen was already facing pressure to cooperate from a different legal development: Late last month, one of his associates in the taxi business agreed to cooperate with the government as a potential witness, which could be used as leverage against him. ...

...Mr. Trump himself has told people he is angry at Mr. Cohen over the messiness of the situation...

Mr. Trump’s businesses have not been funding Mr. Cohen’s entire legal defense, but the Trump family has been paying for the time-consuming — and enormously expensive — process of reviewing the voluminous materials seized in the raids on Mr. Cohen, according to people familiar with the case. Recently, however, a dispute has erupted over the amount that Mr. Cohen’s lawyers want to charge the Trump family enterprises for the review, which the lawyers have said they are running with a large team of associates and data specialists. The disagreement could serve to further isolate Mr. Cohen from Mr. Trump — a risky move for the president.
Oh I bet. "Trump family enterprises" are balking at the bills. Greed + stupidity = 'why should we pay for this jerk's (Cohen) mistakes?'
Old 13th June 2018, 06:50 PM   #145
logger
Banned

LMAO

The fact is, that raid was approved by a Federal judge and by Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and they took the extremely necessary precautions to protect any attorney client privileges. A taint team and even a Special Master was appointed to assure rights were protected. But Cohen wasn't really an attorney and there was very little privileged information.
I could be wrong, but Im sure you’d be pissed if these corrupt officials did it to you. Rosenstein...please, he’s as corrupt as they come.

Last edited by logger; 13th June 2018 at 06:57 PM.
Old 13th June 2018, 06:54 PM   #146
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
So your logic neither Trump nor Cohen should have anything to worry about.

After all, if Trump is actually such a very good deal maker that you say he is, and if New York is so very corrupt as you say it is,

then Trump should have no trouble at all in getting out of this mess.

Maybe Trump can just buy a round of porn stars and illegal laborers for all concerned and that will be the end of it.
It all depends on what Cohen had and if Trump got any parking tickets. We wont know until someone leaks it or the government announces it. I bet loser libs are pissed nothing has been found yet. A billionaire like Trump with all the deals he’s made has to have done something against the law. So we’ll surely find out what it was and if anyone cares about it.
Old 13th June 2018, 06:57 PM   #147
logger
Banned

But that isnt a surprise as you constantly fail to define these terms.
Yes I keep forgetting I have to spell everything out.

Last edited by logger; 13th June 2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 13th June 2018, 06:57 PM   #148
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I could be wrong, but I sure you’d be pissed if these corrupt officials did it to you. Rosenstein...please, he’s as corrupt as they come.
Bull crap. To start with. It wouldn't happen to me because I'm not a dishonest lying sleazebag. And Rosenstein is not corrupt. Your idea of corruption is simply whatever Der Fuhrer tells you is. Rosenstein has been an upstanding citizen his entire life. In contrast to both Cohen and Trump who still can't get their stories straight on Stormy Daniels. Every day it's another lie.

Sad.
Old 13th June 2018, 06:59 PM   #149
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I could be wrong, but Im sure you’d be pissed if these corrupt officials did it to you. Rosenstein...please, he’s as corrupt as they come.
Sorry? What evidence of corruption have you?
Old 13th June 2018, 07:00 PM   #150
NoahFence
Banned

Sounds like we're in the middle of a trump style meltdown.

libs are giggling.
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 07:01 PM   #151
logger
Banned

Bull crap. To start with. It wouldn't happen to me because I'm not a dishonest lying sleazebag. And Rosenstein is not corrupt. Your idea of corruption is simply whatever Der Fuhrer tells you is. Rosenstein has been an upstanding citizen his entire life. In contrast to both Cohen and Trump who still can't get their stories straight on Stormy Daniels. Every day it's another lie.

Sad.
I’m sure Cohen thought it would never happen to him either.

I’m sure you haven’t been paying attention to the congress trying to do oversight and guess who’s standing in the way, he’s even been caught trying to hide things. Yes, you guessed it, that upstanding corruptocrat Rod Rosenstein.

Last edited by logger; 13th June 2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 13th June 2018, 07:02 PM   #152
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Sounds like we're in the middle of a trump style meltdown.

libs are giggling.
You couldn’t be more wrong, everything is going great. Even that fool Soros admits things couldn’t have gone more wrong for his side.

Wishful thinking on your part.
Old 13th June 2018, 07:05 PM   #153
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, criminals never think they are gonna get caught.

I’m sure you haven’t been paying attention to the congress trying to do oversight and guess who’s standing in the way, he’s even been caught trying to hide things. Yes, you guessed it, that upstanding corruptocrat Rod Rosenstein.
You mean the patently dishonest and partisan House judiciary committee run by the sleazebag Devin Nunes?

Last edited by acbytesla; 13th June 2018 at 07:06 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 07:07 PM   #154
NoahFence
Banned

You couldn’t be more wrong, everything is going great. Even that fool Soros admits things couldn’t have gone more wrong for his side.

Wishful thinking on your part.
'k
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 07:12 PM   #155
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, where is the corruption? Disagreeing with the Republican controlled committee is not corruption, you understand.
Old 13th June 2018, 08:19 PM   #156
logger
Banned

Sorry, where is the corruption? Disagreeing with the Republican controlled committee is not corruption, you understand.
http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/13/ji...ns-rosenstein/
Old 13th June 2018, 08:26 PM   #157
beren
Graduate Poster

Which part of this do you think shows corruption?
beren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th June 2018, 08:33 PM   #158
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Most uses of the term checks and balances is incorrect. This is actually an example of what Madison was talking about.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2018, 03:54 AM   #159
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Really? What law related to public corruption has he violated? Chapter and verse from Title 18 please.
Old 14th June 2018, 03:57 AM   #160
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You mean Rosenstein hasn't given information that Trump supporters want to unlawfully pass to subjects of the an investigation Rosensten is overseeing? Wow, that's some definition of corruption you've got there. I like his chances of skating on this one.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics