ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th June 2018, 02:58 PM   #41
Hans
Philosopher

Can the president actually do this or is this a congressional prerogative? Who or how was the Air Force created out of the Army Air Corps?

Edited to add

I looked up how they did it then and would seem to me it would a Congressional action:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ty_Act_of_1947

Last edited by Hans; 19th June 2018 at 03:01 PM.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 03:03 PM   #42
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
So you are General Dunford or other top Pentagon leaders tasked with making something from this lunacy where do you start? To be a fly on the wall in those meetings.
Initially it should just be a re-branding of the current USAF Space Command units. New signs, insignia and letterhead. Where it goes from there is a matter of direction and funding by congress.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 03:48 PM   #43
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Can the president actually do this or is this a congressional prerogative? Who or how was the Air Force created out of the Army Air Corps?

Edited to add

I looked up how they did it then and would seem to me it would a Congressional action:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ty_Act_of_1947
Yes it will take Congressional action. The General was directed to plan for the new service, not to create it. This could easily result in a multi-year research and planning process resulting in nothing more than an extensive, expensive, and futile document.

Also: The USAF was substantially created out of the Army Air Forces, not the Army Air Corps. The Army Air Corps remained in existence, operating observation, liaison, and smaller transport fixed wing, and rotary wing aircraft.

Last edited by Pope130; 19th June 2018 at 03:52 PM.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 05:05 PM   #44
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. Trump is totally destroying America with all his empty rhetoric that doesn't actually change the fundamentals of how this country runs.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 05:11 PM   #45
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Wow. Trump is totally destroying America with all his empty rhetoric that doesn't actually change the fundamentals of how this country runs.
Good to know that a fundamental aspect of how America runs is forced separation of children from parents.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 05:15 PM   #46
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Good to know that a fundamental aspect of how America runs is forced separation of children from parents.
Social services does it all the time. In Australia too, I bet.

Back on the topic of this thread, at least America has indigenous space launch capability.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 05:21 PM   #47
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

I dont think this bit of empty rhetoric does anything to destroy America.
It does go to show that he is a dumbass.
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 05:22 PM   #48
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

All the media coverage I have seen of this proposal is negative or neutral.

Is there anyone who thinks it's a good idea? (i.e. anyone who actually is involved in military planning. Joint Chiefs of Staff, SecDef, Commission to Recommend New Stuff to the President?)

I'm just trying to get a sense of what might change by having a Space Force, as opposed to just keeping Space Command, and who thinks it makes sense. In rolling out the announcement, I don't thing Trump touted any studies, documentation, or endorsements by generals. (Or....maybe he did, but the media didn't cover it.)
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 05:36 PM   #49
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
I dont think this bit of empty rhetoric does anything to destroy America.
It does go to show that he is a dumbass.
If only we'd known he was a dumbass before the election. It would have changed *everything*.
Old 19th June 2018, 05:38 PM   #50
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
All the media coverage I have seen of this proposal is negative or neutral.

Is there anyone who thinks it's a good idea? (i.e. anyone who actually is involved in military planning. Joint Chiefs of Staff, SecDef, Commission to Recommend New Stuff to the President?)

I'm just trying to get a sense of what might change by having a Space Force, as opposed to just keeping Space Command, and who thinks it makes sense. In rolling out the announcement, I don't thing Trump touted any studies, documentation, or endorsements by generals. (Or....maybe he did, but the media didn't cover it.)
Red herring.
Old 19th June 2018, 05:39 PM   #51
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

If only we'd known he was a dumbass before the election. It would have changed *everything*.
I don't know what you are getting at. I sussed out he was a dumbass way back in the 90's, hence he did not get my vote in '16
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 05:40 PM   #52
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm reminded of Spiro Agnew wanting to make himself the next JFK by proclaiming the USA would land a man on Mars by 1980. In fact, that's not all about Trump that reminds me of Agnew.
Old 19th June 2018, 05:47 PM   #53
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know what you are getting at. I sussed out he was a dumbass way back in the 90's, hence he did not get my vote in '16
I'm getting at this whole thread is pointless. It doesn't really change anything, and it doesn't give us any information we didn't already have in November 2016. So what's the point?
Old 19th June 2018, 05:49 PM   #54
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm reminded of Spiro Agnew wanting to make himself the next JFK by proclaiming the USA would land a man on Mars by 1980. In fact, that's not all about Trump that reminds me of Agnew.
Five hundred years from now, my head in a jar will be laughing its ass off, as historians record Donald Trump as being on par with Spiro Agnew in terms of his presidency.
Old 19th June 2018, 05:55 PM   #55
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I wouldn't worry about this. I'm sure the Joint Staff J5-5 office, future plans has this for action. In other words, Mattiis knows where to send things to die. It will spasm occasionally, like a patient with burns over 80% of their body and you'll think there is hope for recovery but no, the idea will die. There will be no sad goodbye, no funeral. One day the conference room will be booked for a planning meeting to discuss officer accession and career progression (nothing devolves into a useless circle jerk like a discussion of career progression) for the space force. And then, almost without notice the room will be booked for the next presidential transition team. The Deputy J5-5 will use a sharpie to cross out the Space Force meeting, leaving the words visible to the Trump administration lackeys who come to the transition meeting. And that is how the Space Force will die, a passive aggressive **** you from the deputy chief of Joint Staff Future Plans.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 05:56 PM   #56
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

I'm getting at this whole thread is pointless. It doesn't really change anything, and it doesn't give us any information we didn't already have in November 2016. So what's the point?
Maybe this thread is pointless. But reading and posting in this thread is not keeping me from doing something otherwise pointed . In fact, if I was doing anything else at this time, i can assure you it would be quite pointless.
Old 19th June 2018, 05:58 PM   #57
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What are you talking about? It takes an act of congress to establish a new branch of the military. The president, the secdef, the pentagon, have no say in the matter, other than to lobby congress.

Don't worry about it, sure. But not for the reasons you claim.
Old 19th June 2018, 06:05 PM   #58
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I'm getting at this whole thread is pointless.

Apparently, so is Space Force.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:00 PM   #59
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Apparently, so is Space Force.
Apparently so.

Congratulations to the ISF for exercising its skeptical genius to figure out things that were obvious a year ago. What's the point of this thread, again?
Old 19th June 2018, 07:20 PM   #60
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

I believe the point of this thread is to point out the pointless utterances of our appointed president.
Old 19th June 2018, 07:53 PM   #61
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Apparently so.

Congratulations to the ISF for exercising its skeptical genius to figure out things that were obvious a year ago. What's the point of this thread, again?
So you’re spent doing time pointlessly pointing out that this thread is pointless?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 07:54 PM   #62
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

That late, huh?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:08 PM   #63
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I seem to recall that many of us were actually aware of this. And many noted conservative posters told us not to worry... for myriad reasons:

> checks and balances
> the court of public opinion would keep him in line
> he's just posturing for the headlines he doesn't mean it
> c'mon, he's obviously joking

How many of those did you think would happen, 'cuz so far we're 0 for 4.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:09 PM   #64
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I believe the point of this thread is to point out the pointless utterances of our appointed president.
Are you sure?

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
So you’re spent doing time pointlessly pointing out that this thread is pointless?
When in Rome...
Old 19th June 2018, 08:26 PM   #65
gregthehammer
Critical Thinker

[quote=theprestige;12333228]Are you sure?
I think that was the intent of the OP. Now? It seems to have taken a turn towards pointless. In fact, it may have run it's course. I take my leave.
Old 19th June 2018, 08:39 PM   #66
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

As the OP author, I think we agree the point of this thread is to once again confirm that Donny is dreadfully bad at creating believable diversions for his equally unbelievable catastrophic policy glitches and gaffes.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:54 PM   #67
TellyKNeasuss
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Good to know. Can you now explain Rear Admiral? Oh, and Vice Admiral while you're at it.
Fleets used to sail in 3 parts: a main body, a reconnaissance force, and a rear guard. A junior admiral would be assigned to command the rear guard, so as ranks became formalized the lowest grade of admiral came to be called a rear admiral.

TellyKNeasuss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 08:56 PM   #68
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
As the OP author, I think we agree the point of this thread is to once again confirm that Donny is dreadfully bad at creating believable diversions for his equally unbelievable catastrophic policy glitches and gaffes.
Catastrophic? Tell me more!
Old 19th June 2018, 09:02 PM   #69
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Catastrophic? Tell me more!
Apologies. By "catastrophic" I meant "thoughtfully and professionally considered, properly communicated and implemented, well-received, and universally acclaimed".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 09:11 PM   #70
qayak
Penultimate Amazing

"Ahhhhhhh! President Dotard, so nice of you to join us. The landing party is ready so if you could just put on this red shirt we'll be off."
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 09:53 PM   #71
Dabop
Muse

Social services does it all the time. In Australia too, I bet.

Back on the topic of this thread, at least America has indigenous space launch capability.
Actually, in a way its funny that trumpff wants to make a space force, when the US cant even currently put a person into space unless they hire a seat in a Russian spacecraft....

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2018, 02:16 AM   #72
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

It's fun.

I'm not sure I can see the point of you strutting around telling everybody that what they're doing is pointless, though. Seems like you're spending time and energy telling other people what they ought to be interested in discussing, rather than spending your time and energy discussing the things you are interested in. Why not just let this thread be? If it ceases to be interesting to other people it will drop off the front page and never be seen again. And if it remains on the front page, all you have to do to ensure that your time isn't wasted by the pointlessness of it is not to read it yourself.

Why you should be having a strop about other people choosing to spend their time doing something harmless that doesn't affect you one iota is beyond me. Still, it's up to you, if that's what you consider a productive use of your time.
Old 20th June 2018, 04:09 AM   #73
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
"Ahhhhhhh! President Dotard, so nice of you to join us. The landing party is ready so if you could just put on this red shirt we'll be off."
Old 20th June 2018, 05:35 AM   #74
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
Commando Cody!
"Nipple, nipple, tweak, tweak!"

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. )
Old 20th June 2018, 05:55 AM   #75
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Apologies. By "catastrophic" I meant "thoughtfully and professionally considered, properly communicated and implemented, well-received, and universally acclaimed".
Apologies? Tell me more about the great catastrophe that has befallen us this week.
Old 20th June 2018, 05:56 AM   #76
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
Actually, in a way its funny that trumpff wants to make a space force, when the US cant even currently put a person into space unless they hire a seat in a Russian spacecraft....
Manned spaceflight is a distraction.
Old 20th June 2018, 06:42 AM   #77
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Apologies? Tell me more about the great catastrophe that has befallen us this week.
Well, the US is putting children in concentration camps, and the head of the organisation actually doing that has said that it's unfair to compare his agents with Nazis because his agents are just following orders, and the biggest difference that the person who implemented the policy that has led to this between this policy and the Nazis was to (incorrectly) state that the Nazis tried to prevent Jews from leaving Germany. That seems pretty catastrophic from an outsider's perspective. I mean, at the very least, that Sessions isn't intelligent or educated enough to name a bigger difference (like, for example, none of the children having been forced into labour, experimented on, or exterminated) between the current situation in the US and the situation in Nazi Germany speaks very poorly of his ability to advocate publicly for his own policies, which I'd count as pretty catastrophic.
Old 20th June 2018, 07:20 AM   #78
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
"Nipple, nipple, tweak, tweak!"

(Sorry, I couldn't resist. )
But do you have a high-gloss plywood Moon vehicle?

Old 20th June 2018, 07:24 AM   #79
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I expect The PDJT to come up with a commander's uniform that looks just like Zapp Brannigan's.
Old 20th June 2018, 07:33 AM   #80
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Remember, during the election, when Hilary claimed that Trump's immigration policies were going to "rip families apart"?

Yeah, she actually claimed that.

But, you know, they are BROWN families so it doesn't matter.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics