ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th July 2018, 06:25 PM   #161
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by beachnut View Post
trump supporters love SpaceForce, "it is like the cloud, we can store music out there". "We can't trust NASA, at least trump with get out there and tell us the truth". "Neil Armstrong will head SpaceForce", we have to bring him back. And "spaceforce will stop the next 9/11".

https://youtu.be/LYQX-BPUqN4?t=88
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Are those people for real? If so, I weep for our country.
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
"Uploader has not made this video available in your country".
I'm not even going to look at it, but would suggest Poe's Law applies.
Old 5th July 2018, 06:39 PM   #162
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Or schadenfreude.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 07:37 PM   #163
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It's one of those late night talk show gimmicks where they send someone outside with a camera to ask people questions, and then edit all the stupidest answers into a "funny" supercut of Look How Stupid People Are.

It's an easy segment, since you can always find people with stupid opinions about anything.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2018, 09:37 PM   #164
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's one of those late night talk show gimmicks where they send someone outside with a camera to ask people questions, and then edit all the stupidest answers into a "funny" supercut of Look How Stupid People Are.

It's an easy segment, since you can always find people with stupid opinions about anything.
Fish in a barrel- They are in enough numbers to vote for clowns like
Trump.
Old 5th July 2018, 09:46 PM   #165
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

And there it is.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 02:35 AM   #166
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

... since you can always find people with stupid opinions about anything.
How perceptive.
Old 6th July 2018, 05:01 AM   #167
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

They're just Trump supporters so it's okay.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 08:53 AM   #168
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Some more easily than others.

Trump supporters would tend to provide a rather target rich environment.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 01:33 PM   #169
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

While this is true in the general case, what do you image the 'smart' opinions supporting the Space Force were?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 01:45 PM   #170
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
While this is true in the general case, what do you image the 'smart' opinions supporting the Space Force were?
Nothing about this event requires a smart opinion supporting the idea.

The smart respondents probably just kept walking.
Old 6th July 2018, 01:50 PM   #171
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

They were attendees at a Trump Rally.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 01:50 PM   #172
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing about this event requires a smart opinion supporting the idea.
Requires? No, but so what?

Quote:
The smart respondents probably just kept walking.
Making them not actually respondents, and leaving no 'smart' or even 'non-stupid' responses for The Daily Show to cut out. Thus your observation that something like that can be done easily by cutting in only the dumbest responses, it really doesn't make this specific case a large misrepresentation of what supporters believe.

The 'best' argument was 'it sounds cool'. That's not sufficient justification to make a new military branch.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 02:01 PM   #173
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

There were probably some smart answers not in support of the idea, but you didn't ask about those.
Old 6th July 2018, 02:07 PM   #174
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

There were probably some smart answers not in support of the idea, but you didn't ask about those.
Why would I? I'm looking at why anyone could support this idea, not proving if all Trump supporters are stupid enough to support this idea.

That's also what they were looking for on the bit (well, they were looking for the funny). Asking Trump supporters to support their ideas isn't addressed by finding out which of them don't support that idea.
Old 6th July 2018, 03:08 PM   #175
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Why would I? I'm looking at why anyone could support this idea, not proving if all Trump supporters are stupid enough to support this idea.

That's also what they were looking for on the bit (well, they were looking for the funny). Asking Trump supporters to support their ideas isn't addressed by finding out which of them don't support that idea.
In that case I have no idea what you want from me.

The stupid thing is supporting the idea, probably. I expect they filtered out the non supporters and edited together some footage of the "supporters".

That's the way the bit works. You just keep accosting people until you have enough footage to fit the framing. You could probably get the same effect by going to a San Francisco street protest and doing the same thing. But it wouldn't fit Trevor Noah's framing.

Last edited by theprestige; 6th July 2018 at 03:13 PM.
Old 6th July 2018, 03:36 PM   #176
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The stupid thing is supporting the idea, probably. I expect they filtered out the non supporters and edited together some footage of the "supporters".

That's the way the bit works. You just keep accosting people until you have enough footage to fit the framing. You could probably get the same effect by going to a San Francisco street protest and doing the same thing. But it wouldn't fit Trevor Noah's framing.
Trevor Noah is a comedian who hasn't exactly been shy about being anti Trump. On the off chance any of the products of incest his guy interviewed had the brains to know why Space Force is a terrible idea, why would he want to show them. He's on message, "these people are stupid, you don't want to be part of them". Why would he dilute the message by showing to odd smart person who went to a Trump rally?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2018, 03:54 PM   #177
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Trevor Noah is a comedian who hasn't exactly been shy about being anti Trump. On the off chance any of the products of incest his guy interviewed had the brains to know why Space Force is a terrible idea, why would he want to show them. He's on message, "these people are stupid, you don't want to be part of them". Why would he dilute the message by showing to odd smart person who went to a Trump rally?
Yes, thank you! Take away the bigotry, and I couldn't have said it better myself.

Of course, reinforcing the bigotry is the whole point of the message, so I guess it's working.
Old 6th July 2018, 03:58 PM   #178
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, thank you! Take away the bigotry, and I couldn't have said it better myself.

Of course, reinforcing the bigotry is the whole point of the message, so I guess it's working.
These people betrayed their country by turning over the presidency to a Russian whore. What rule of civility or decency could possibly apply to them? It's not like I demean them because of their race or ethnicity. They chose to betray their country.

Last edited by Craig4; 6th July 2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 6th July 2018, 04:14 PM   #179
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

These people betrayed their country by turning over the presidency to a Russian whore. What rule of civility or decency could possibly apply to them? It's not like I demean them because of their race or ethnicity. They chose to betray their country.
Have you ever wondered how much of your understanding of what is going on is based on a message that Trevor Noah has carefully framed and edited for your consumption?
Old 6th July 2018, 04:20 PM   #180
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Have you ever wondered how much of your understanding of what is going on is based on a message that Trevor Noah has carefully framed and edited for your consumption?
No, but I rarely watch his show so it probably wouldn't occur to me.

Last edited by Craig4; 6th July 2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 6th July 2018, 04:26 PM   #181
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

"I am not a number, I am a free man!" says Number Six.
Old 6th July 2018, 04:31 PM   #182
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Says the Trump supporter. That's hysterical.
Old 6th July 2018, 05:45 PM   #183
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

You did mostly answer my question; there wouldn't be a 'smart' supporting answer.

But that in and of itself means that your idea that you could 'do the same thing' for something elsewhere is incorrect. With other ideas there would be 'smart' answers to filter out. It would be less representative of the group being sampled in that regard than the case here.

For a lose analogy, it would be like saying that with a lot of editing, my singing voice could sound like any given member of Pentatonix. That's true, but it doesn't matter if the person I'm being compared to is Kevin Olusola. It would take nothing against the point being made that Kevin is an outstanding singer. In the same way, your statement takes nothing away from the point that the only supporting arguments there are for making another branch of the military are comically bad.
Old 6th July 2018, 07:54 PM   #184
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Bigotry against morons is bad.

Me22?
Old 6th July 2018, 08:29 PM   #185
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Bigotry against morons is bad.

Me22?
Morons think so.
Old 7th July 2018, 04:53 AM   #186
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
They were attendees at a Trump Rally.

Like I said, Target rich environment.

Very target rich.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2018, 01:22 PM   #187
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That is interesting. Trump's Space Force is a self-parody.

What makes trump supporters at trump rallies a target rich environment for parody? The silly stuff that comes out of trump's mind.

Space Force, a joke by trump? Whatttttt?

I can't believe how easy it is to be a comedy writer for trump's ideas/words/deeds. It is cheating, too easy, lazy. space force
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2018, 03:32 PM   #188
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What is this Space Force supposed to do that the Strategic Command and its Air Force Component aren't doing?
Old 7th July 2018, 04:31 PM   #189
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Glorify Trump.
Old 7th July 2018, 04:56 PM   #190
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

What is this Space Force supposed to do that the Strategic Command and its Air Force Component aren't doing?
The Strategic Command is one of the Deep State's defense forces. Planet Trump's Space Force will do battle with the Strategic Command for control of the solar system.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2018, 05:43 PM   #191
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Well we've got two years. Hopefully we can damn it to planning hell.
Old 7th July 2018, 05:54 PM   #192
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Well we've got two years. Hopefully we can damn it to planning hell.

Personally, I'd love to see what a Trump inspired "Space Force" would look like. It would probably be a hoot.

I can get a little nostalgic about some of the sci-fi shows from my childhood.
Old 7th July 2018, 06:00 PM   #193
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Personally, I'd love to see what a Trump inspired "Space Force" would look like. It would probably be a hoot.

I can get a little nostalgic about some of the sci-fi shows from my childhood.
I kind of think he expects space warships to be orbiting the earth, laying claim to the moon and bombarding our enemies from space.

A) We can't do that yet.

B) Why the hell would we want to?
Old 7th July 2018, 06:06 PM   #194
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

I kind of think he expects space warships to be orbiting the earth, laying claim to the moon and bombarding our enemies from space.
Yes, but by people in cool uniforms, right? I think Trump should start by designing the uniforms, especially his own.
WilliamSeger is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2018, 06:29 PM   #195
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Yes, but by people in cool uniforms, right? I think Trump should start by designing the uniforms, especially his own.
Yeah, cool uniforms. Marines have cool uniforms. They still have to stir the burning **** with diesel fuel. You know what war ships in zero G mean? Lots of really disgusting accidents with human excrement that somebody has to scrub clean. I hope they go with a dark color that won't show stains.
Old 7th July 2018, 06:41 PM   #196
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Pew. Pew pew pew.
In SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 05:28 AM   #197
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Something like this?

Old 8th July 2018, 06:09 AM   #198
WilliamSeger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Nah... too gay! Trump's taste probably tends more towards this:

"Pew. Pew pew pew."
Old 8th July 2018, 07:14 AM   #199
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Nah... too gay! Trump's taste probably tends more towards this:

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/T...=488&fmt=pjpeg
"Pew. Pew pew pew."
Great, space troopers who never hit anything.
Old 8th July 2018, 07:49 AM   #200
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics