ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 8th July 2018, 08:10 AM   #201
dann
Philosopher

Ideologywise probably more like this:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

... except that President Bonespurs would never have earned citizenship, thus not being electable. He wouldn't even have the right to vote!
Hey, I just came up with the only positive aspect of Starship Trooper society!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 11:13 AM   #202
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The guy on the left is obviously wondering why men have nipples and women do not.
Old 8th July 2018, 11:57 AM   #203
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The guy on the left is obviously wondering why men have nipples and women do not.
She doesn't look exactly thrilled about that state of affairs, either.
Old 8th July 2018, 11:59 AM   #204
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by WilliamSeger View Post
Nah... too gay! Trump's taste probably tends more towards this:

https://target.scene7.com/is/image/T...=488&fmt=pjpeg
"Pew. Pew pew pew."

Trump would never go for that for his own uniform. It would cover up his face.

Of course, that might increase its popularity with other groups.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2018, 08:01 PM   #205
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Trump would never go for that for his own uniform. It would cover up his face.

Of course, that might increase its popularity with other groups.
What's not to love about a complete body-covering white uniform that hides your face with just peep-holes while you threaten and blast people?!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 12:50 PM   #206
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Where’s the covfefe? I was told there’d be an earth-shattering covfefe.
Attached Images
File Type: png BC00ACF4-5F3E-4DBB-A570-F2E5472BA1D4.png (51.8 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 9th July 2018 at 01:02 PM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2018, 01:30 PM   #207
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Has anyone thought to take a bunch of old 50s/60s sci-fi/space movies, edit together a bunch of scenes with men in space suits/outer space, and show it to Trump. We can tell him "See? There is a real life documentary about your space force, with real live footage of your brave space force soldiers in action.

Trump is rather dumb, and he'd probably be too lazy to read anything telling him that the space force didn't exist. And he wouldn't believe anything printed in the mainstream media because its all "fake news".

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 07:37 PM   #208
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

How long has it been since he mentioned Space Force? A couple of weeks? Has he mentioned it since?

See? He's forgotten he said it already and moved on to the next opportunity to be a ****-stirrer as a distraction from being *********** lazy and not actually doing the job of president.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 12th July 2018 at 07:38 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2018, 10:59 PM   #209
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
How long has it been since he mentioned Space Force? A couple of weeks? Has he mentioned it since?

See? He's forgotten he said it already and moved on to the next opportunity to be a ****-stirrer as a distraction from being *********** lazy and not actually doing the job of president.
He seems like the kind of boss where you never do anything he tells you to do until he tells you twice.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2018, 11:13 AM   #210
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Moving forwards despite lack of Congressional approval
Old 1st August 2018, 12:42 AM   #211
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
I smell a boondoggle...
Old 1st August 2018, 09:03 AM   #212
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

I smell a boondoggle...
Funny, I smelled the boondoggle more and more as the Republican primaries rolled on in 2016.
Old 1st August 2018, 10:29 AM   #213
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

That's not necessarily a bad thing. The Pentagon has drafted a plan, and is establishing a framework. Obviously, without Congressional approval and funding, they won't be able to do much. But having a draft plan and a prototype framework gives something for Congress to review and either fund or not fund.

I'm not convinced it's a great idea, but I'm also not convinced it's a bad idea.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2018, 08:01 PM   #214
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
That's not necessarily a bad thing. The Pentagon has drafted a plan, and is establishing a framework. Obviously, without Congressional approval and funding, they won't be able to do much. But having a draft plan and a prototype framework gives something for Congress to review and either fund or not fund.

I'm not convinced it's a great idea, but I'm also not convinced it's a bad idea.
It's also called "successfully making great progress at standing still, and doing a full report on same."

Actually, I can see the Pentagon using this as yet another "project" to acquire taxpayer funds to fritter away on all that silly stuff they do like paying their soldiers, sailors and airmen, and ensuring they don't have cut-rate armour in their Humvees like in Iraq.

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 2nd August 2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 3rd August 2018, 05:26 AM   #215
Armitage72
Master Poster

It's also called "successfully making great progress at standing still, and doing a full report on same."

Actually, I can see the Pentagon using this as yet another "project" to acquire taxpayer funds to fritter away on all that silly stuff they do like paying their soldiers, sailors and airmen, and ensuring they don't have cut-rate armour in their Humvees like in Iraq.

There was a comic book in which a government agency persuaded an anti-superhuman Congressman to approve funding to construct a super-prison on Mars. By an amazing coincidence, many of the prison's facilities could also double as advanced research labs during the construction process.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2018, 12:21 AM   #216
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

A 14 page plan for the Space Force? Seems a bit thin to plan out an entire new military service. I think they're phoning it in.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2018, 04:49 AM   #217
Seismosaurus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
There were probably some smart answers not in support of the idea, but you didn't ask about those.
Well, one is always free to hope and imagine.
Old 4th August 2018, 06:01 AM   #218
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

I really, really hope they get to have a catchy song. Something like (but impossible to be as awesome as)...

Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand’ring in star-flight
I know
He’ll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me.
Old 4th August 2018, 10:17 AM   #219
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I really, really hope they get to have a catchy song. Something like (but impossible to be as awesome as)...

Beyond
My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me.

Roddenberry's rip-off.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2018, 12:01 PM   #220
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Spaaaaace Force (pew... pew pew) may have just gotten a boost (sorry).

Fox News just **** a brick that a meteorite strike in Greenland last week, missing a cold war early warning installation by 43km (scared 'em I guess, but didn't Donnie say the Russians weren't targeting us anymore?)... was not announced/cried over/screamed about by the Air Force. Not sure either why they would or what they were supposed to do about it.
NASA, of course, announced it.
Now we wait and see.
Incoming tweets in 4...3...2...

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 4th August 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2018, 02:17 PM   #221
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

As far as I know, Greenland is governed/owned by Denmark, not the USA. One of those peace-loving, one-payer health, commie countries in the EU. Fox should have been pleased.
Old 4th August 2018, 09:29 PM   #222
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post

Beyond
My love
I know
Love,
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
Remember, remember me.
How about;

A million suns shine down
But I see only one
When I think I'm over you
I find I've just begun
The years move faster than the days
There's no warmth in the light
How I miss those desert skies
Your cool touch in the night
Old 9th August 2018, 01:01 PM   #223
Stacko
Philosopher

Trump campaign in Email says it wants to give supporters “a final decision on the design we will use to commemorate President Trump’s new Space Force--and he wants YOU to have a say.”
This can't be real.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 01:05 PM   #224
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
"Kennedy got everyone worked up to got to the moon? Well I'm going to blow the moon up, blow it up real good! Top that!"
Old 9th August 2018, 01:45 PM   #225
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
I just have one question...

...will there be ray-guns?
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 03:29 PM   #226
Steve
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

Phasers my friend. And yes, they can be set to STUN.
Old 9th August 2018, 03:42 PM   #227
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Stun, you say?
Then this administration's already got 'em... and I wish to bloody hell they'd stop using them.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 03:46 PM   #228
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post

If there is not Powered Armor for the MI count me out....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 03:47 PM   #229
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And the other branches of the Armed Services don't like this very much.,,the Air Force in particular which sees it as a major invasion of their turf.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 03:52 PM   #230
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Pence: fear mongering, we need a space force, 'they' already have one, "We need to dominate space".
Old 9th August 2018, 03:55 PM   #231
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

They released the Space Force Anthem

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 04:10 PM   #232
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Plot twist: there was a God all along, and this is his sweet revenge. Checkmate, atheists.

Last edited by Checkmite; 9th August 2018 at 04:11 PM.
Checkmite is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 04:12 PM   #233
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Pence: fear mongering, we need a space force, 'they' already have one, "We need to dominate space".
Yes well... ISIS could launch drones into space and get us.
That's right... "space drones", from ISIS. That's what I hear.

Sorry, i mean... SPAAAAAACE ISIS!!!.

eta: forgot... pew, pew pew.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 9th August 2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 9th August 2018, 04:31 PM   #234
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Forgot about another gem from that Daily Show piece...
(paraphrased)
"NASA isn't telling us the truth. SPACE FORCE would be his (Trump's) guys, so they'll tell us what's really going on."

Yeah LOL, wait... what, huh?
This ain't "JayWalking" with just the folk who recognize pics of Brittany Spears but not RB Ginsburg. This is much, much less amusing.

(Okay... the "cloud, uh computer" bit was funny. And the "logic" at the very end as well. )

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 9th August 2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 9th August 2018, 04:46 PM   #235
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Pence is trying a rather amusing diversionary tactic because Donny is circling the filthy drain of the Russia probe as the swamp drains...into the White House.
Old 10th August 2018, 02:03 AM   #236
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

The winner!

https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/sta...708578304?s=20
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 02:35 AM   #237
The Great Zaganza
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Trump can take it, as Putin can attest.
"To make covenants with brute beasts is impossible, because, not understanding our speech, they understand not nor accept of any translation of right; nor can translate any right to another; and without mutual acceptation, there is no covenant" - Thomas Hobbes
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 02:45 AM   #238
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Eddie Izzard thought of many more settings. "Loss of short-term memory", "Ice cream van nearby" ... :

I AGREE
Old 10th August 2018, 03:10 AM   #239
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

As far as I know, Greenland is governed/owned by Denmark, not the USA. One of those peace-loving, one-payer health, commie countries in the EU. Fox should have been pleased.
wiki. In 2008 Greenland's citizens approved the Greenlandic self-government referendum with a 75% vote in favor of a higher degree of independence. Greenland took control of law enforcement, the coast guard, and the legal system. The official language changed from Danish to Greenlandic on 21 June 2009, Greenland national day ... In 2008, independence campaigners touted the year 2021 (the 300th anniversary of Danish colonial rule) as a date for potential independence.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 03:35 AM   #240
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
wiki. In 2008 Greenland's citizens approved the Greenlandic self-government referendum with a 75% vote in favor of a higher degree of independence. Greenland took control of law enforcement, the coast guard, and the legal system. The official language changed from Danish to Greenlandic on 21 June 2009, Greenland national day ... In 2008, independence campaigners touted the year 2021 (the 300th anniversary of Danish colonial rule) as a date for potential independence.
I look forward to celebrating their independence! But meanwhile, currently still Danish, with Danish military defence.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics