ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags LGBT issues , London incidents , protest incidents , transgender issues

Reply
Old 18th July 2018, 09:39 AM   #241
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,382
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Does it matter what proportion of trans-identifying men are violent and aggressive?
Yes, it absolutely does.

Quote:
There are enough of them to create a substantial problem
This doesn't tally with what you've said previously. You said you didn't and couldn't know numbers. Now you believe you do have some idea of the numbers. Which is it?


Quote:
and it doesn't magically go away just because you're happy that it's not a high percentage.
Everything is a percentage. I'm not prepared to wreck the lives of people who have it hard enough already because ou believe there's a 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance that a tans man is going to harrass a woman in a lavatory somewhere.

Now, if you can show that it's a 25% chance or some such, then I'll listen, but you can't. You can't show any numbers at all and I believe you need to if your argument is to have any credibility at all.



Quote:
In what way are inoffensive trans-identifying people being restricted from their normal daily activities by a group of lesbians rocking up to Pride with banners that say things like "Lesbian = female homosexual" and "The penis is not a female organ"?

Because, if there's no risk - and you really haven't shown there is - then my default position is 'do what you like'. A man who identifies in all ways as a woman would probably be very uncomfortable being forced to use a men's lavatory. They'd be more comfortable in a ladies. In the absence of any negative consequences - which you haven't shown - let them use the ladies - their life is hard enough as it is. They probably just want to take a ****.
__________________
Up the River!

Last edited by 3point14; 18th July 2018 at 09:41 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:41 AM   #242
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,010
Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Please don't let Rolfe turn this thread into another bash-the-tranny thread; this thread is about the trans people who were being attacked during a parade in London.
To one side.

To the other is about members of the LGBT community being silenced in favor of members that are more media relevant.

Stories about gay people are so last last year, trans is where it is at for gaining sjw points.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:44 AM   #243
pharphis
Graduate Poster
 
pharphis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,598
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Well, I'm not a man so the invasion of men's spaces is not my primary concern. However I see no reports of aggressive, bullying trans-identifying women intimidating men or threatening or perpetrating violence against men for the crime of not including them in men's groups or activities.

I don't see women on testosterone marching with blue baseball bats wrapped in barbed wire with labels such as "TERM-basher" on them. I don't see any sign of an equivalent problem on the other side of the sex divide. Perhaps I'm wrong. If I'm wrong, show me the evidence this is a thing and I'll reconsider.
I wonder why that is. I'd guess that men simply don't care as much as women do but it's not obvious to me why that is. Maybe they're less afraid, or more accepting, or have different criteria for what makes someone able to join said space, or aren't as entitled to their own "(male) spaces".
pharphis is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:47 AM   #244
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,010
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Show me a trans-identifying woman who's being violent and aggressive towards men and I'll tell you.

ETA: I probably phrased that badly. There does not appear to be a cohort of trans-identifying women who are being violent and aggressive towards men, and calling gay men transphobic if they say they don't want to have sex with them. So this is a problem pretty much confined to the male of the species.
No it is not, the idiocy spans sex.

I've been labeled a trans phobe and was attempted to be removed physically from a location due to turning down a trans man. Not only that but doing so, not in general but simply for that night (I'm bi, but I was looking for a living penis that night).

It's just the certain type of person who feels entitled to sex. In another world that same guy would have been a neck beard whining about girls all being stuck up.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:48 AM   #245
JihadJane
not a camel
 
JihadJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 65,567
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Are there any actual numbers or anlysis on that page? I can't see anything that would constitute anything more than anecdote.

It's just a whole page of argument by twitter. You can pretty much show anything by cherry picking twitter bolocks.
OK, it should be easy, then, for you to find lots of examples of "TERFs" threatening to kill transgender activists.



Here are some anti-TERFs espousing the same ideology, putting their words into action at Speakers Corner, Hyde Park, London, [2.49]:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"Jealousy makes you think the same thing over and over and the more you do that, the less reality-testing you do. Emotions all have an illusion of certainty, and jealousy makes you certain of your perception of the world.
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:50 AM   #246
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,010
Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
I wonder why that is. I'd guess that men simply don't care as much as women do but it's not obvious to me why that is. Maybe they're less afraid, or more accepting, or have different criteria for what makes someone able to join said space, or aren't as entitled to their own "(male) spaces".
Males of any stripe don't have safe spaces,we have places where other males are that may be possibly very male focused but legally cannot be a safe space for males only.

Kinda hard to attack what isn't there, he'll gay bars are full of straight women now. (Not that I mind that, one stop shopping when I'm single, but the gay gents seem annoyed)
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:51 AM   #247
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 42,427
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Yes, it absolutely does.

This doesn't tally with what you've said previously. You said you didn't and couldn't know numbers. Now you believe you do have some idea of the numbers. Which is it?

Everything is a percentage. I'm not prepared to wreck the lives of people who have it hard enough already because ou believe there's a 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance that a tans man is going to harrass a woman in a lavatory somewhere.

Now, if you can show that it's a 25% chance or some such, then I'll listen, but you can't. You can't show any numbers at all and I believe you need to if your argument is to have any credibility at all.

Because, if there's no risk - and you really haven't shown there is - then my default position is 'do what you like'. A man who identifies in all ways as a woman would probably be very uncomfortable being forced to use a men's lavatory. They'd be more comfortable in a ladies. In the absence of any negative consequences - which you haven't shown - let them use the ladies - their life is hard enough as it is. They probably just want to take a ****.

Oh, we're back to "But I just want to pee!" again. Let's not go round that again, because that wasn't what the Pride lesbians were highlighting.

It's not a question of percentages, it's a question of absolute numbers, and there is no doubt whatsoever that the absolute numbers and high profile of the aggressive trans rights bullies are enough to constitute a serious problem. They're everywhere. Contacting venues to have women's meetings cancelled. Shouting and banging outside to drown out the speakers when they fail in that. Joining lesbian groups and insisting that their penises are giant clitorises or lady dicks and they should be accepted by lesbians as potential sex partners. Competing in athletic events against girls and women and generally beating them. Insisting on being allocated a sleeping space in a female dormitory even though they are male-bodied. Demanding to be sent to a woman's prison even though they are male-bodied. Being named "woman of the year" in various contexts, denying an actual woman the award. Getting on to women-only short-lists and being counted as women for the purposes of gender balance. Even (in one case) suing a woman's rape crisis centre because of not being allowed to do face-to-face rape counselling of abused women. And woe betide any uppity woman who tries to speak out against any of this.

You want women just to shut up and budge over and accept all this, because it's not a problem that affects you. Thanks for the support. Not.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:52 AM   #248
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,010
Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
OK, it should be easy, then, for you to find lots of examples of "TERFs" threatening to kill transgender activists.



Here are some anti-TERFs espousing the same ideology, putting their words into action at Speakers Corner, Hyde Park, London, [2.49]:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
What did you find when you googled "Terf threatens trans activists? "
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:54 AM   #249
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 42,427
Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
I wonder why that is. I'd guess that men simply don't care as much as women do but it's not obvious to me why that is. Maybe they're less afraid, or more accepting, or have different criteria for what makes someone able to join said space, or aren't as entitled to their own "(male) spaces".

It's pretty obvious from this side of the sex divide. Men seldom feel threatened by women. The opposite, however...

Actually, though, we have evidence from the Man Friday activists that men do feel very uncomfortable when an obvious woman marches into their designated spaces and plonks herself down declaring that she "identifies as a man". It seems, however, that trans-identifying women don't do this. Funny that.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:55 AM   #250
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,010
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Oh, we're back to "But I just want to pee!" again. Let's not go round that again, because that wasn't what the Pride lesbians were highlighting.

It's not a question of percentages, it's a question of absolute numbers, and there is no doubt whatsoever that the absolute numbers and high profile of the aggressive trans rights bullies are enough to constitute a serious problem. They're everywhere. Contacting venues to have women's meetings cancelled. Shouting and banging outside to drown out the speakers when they fail in that. Joining lesbian groups and insisting that their penises are giant clitorises or lady dicks and they should be accepted by lesbians as potential sex partners. Competing in athletic events against girls and women and generally beating them. Insisting on being allocated a sleeping space in a female dormitory even though they are male-bodied. Demanding to be sent to a woman's prison even though they are male-bodied. Being named "woman of the year" in various contexts, denying an actual woman the award. Getting on to women-only short-lists and being counted as women for the purposes of gender balance. Even (in one case) suing a woman's rape crisis centre because of not being allowed to do face-to-face rape counselling of abused women. And woe betide any uppity woman who tries to speak out against any of this.

You want women just to shut up and budge over and accept all this, because it's not a problem that affects you. Thanks for the support. Not.
No need to go over board, it's not because it doesn't affect them, it's because supporting trans folks gets them more applause from the sjw crowd.

It's being selfish not ignorant, give them some credit. They know it's a problem and they picked their side based on what gets them more likes.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:57 AM   #251
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 7,782
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Of course. But in that case the person remains male or female, accordingly. Supernatural trans-substantiation is not being proposed.
Summerisle called - they want their massive strawman back.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:59 AM   #252
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 42,427
I don't know what else you'd call it, asserting that a man can actually turn into a woman.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 09:59 AM   #253
JihadJane
not a camel
 
JihadJane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 65,567
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
What did you find when you googled "Terf threatens trans activists? "
I haven't googled "Terf threatens trans activists? " so cannot answer your question, sadhatter.

What did you find when you googled "Terf threatens trans activists? "
__________________
"Jealousy makes you think the same thing over and over and the more you do that, the less reality-testing you do. Emotions all have an illusion of certainty, and jealousy makes you certain of your perception of the world.
JihadJane is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:00 AM   #254
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,382
Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
OK, it should be easy, then, for you to find lots of examples of "TERFs" threatening to kill transgender activists.



Here are some anti-TERFs espousing the same ideology, putting their words into action at Speakers Corner, Hyde Park, London, [2.49]:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Got any statistics?

That could be all of them in the whole world all gathered in one place, whiich would make them a vanishingly small percentage. Or that could be a tiny, tiny portion of the whole.

Do you have any statistics? I'm being inundated with argument by anecdote here. You and Rolfe seem to be the primary standard bearers and you're both so sure it's an issue, but you've both only come with 'feelings' anecdotes and stuff you 'know' without showing how you know it.

Nothing I have seen so far constitutes evidence of a problem beyond a teeny, tiny group of loud idiots. There are a subset of loud idiots in any group, it's the nature of people. You've not shown that it's in any way a problem.


Again, as with all idiot subsets, I would recommend dealing with and prosecuting the subset as and when it's called for. The massive, and as far as I can see, unjustified, brush that you and Rolfe are using - from a position of no statistical information at all, is freaking me out when I'm on a skeptics forum.
__________________
Up the River!
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:03 AM   #255
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,010
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
It's pretty obvious from this side of the sex divide. Men seldom feel threatened by women. The opposite, however...

Actually, though, we have evidence from the Man Friday activists that men do feel very uncomfortable when an obvious woman marches into their designated spaces and plonks herself down declaring that she "identifies as a man". It seems, however, that trans-identifying women don't do this. Funny that.
Seems they don't according to?

You have good points, right up until things go outside of your realm of experience. Then you seem to fall back on men=****.

Trust me there are plenty of guys like myself who support you in this. If you can avoid metaphorically spitting in my face I'll most certainly have your back. If there is something gueer guys know it's being pushed aside in favor of the sjw flavor of the week. Now that queer women are feeling it, maybe it's time for us to stop fighting over the spotlight and evaluate or methods of promotion and discourse.

Or we could just keep in fighting and letting the straight people decide who is the cutest new victim they support.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:04 AM   #256
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 11,934
*Sighs. Pulls out a flask and takes a swig*

Anybody else want any?
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:04 AM   #257
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,382
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Oh, we're back to "But I just want to pee!" again. Let's not go round that again, because that wasn't what the Pride lesbians were highlighting.

It's not a question of percentages, it's a question of absolute numbers, and there is no doubt whatsoever that the absolute numbers and high profile of the aggressive trans rights bullies are enough to constitute a serious problem.
Then it won't be too hard for you to show those numbers. From where are you gathering your information? Can I see it? Can I see your maths?


Quote:
They're everywhere. Contacting venues to have women's meetings cancelled. Shouting and banging outside to drown out the speakers when they fail in that. Joining lesbian groups and insisting that their penises are giant clitorises or lady dicks and they should be accepted by lesbians as potential sex partners. Competing in athletic events against girls and women and generally beating them. Insisting on being allocated a sleeping space in a female dormitory even though they are male-bodied. Demanding to be sent to a woman's prison even though they are male-bodied. Being named "woman of the year" in various contexts, denying an actual woman the award. Getting on to women-only short-lists and being counted as women for the purposes of gender balance. Even (in one case) suing a woman's rape crisis centre because of not being allowed to do face-to-face rape counselling of abused women. And woe betide any uppity woman who tries to speak out against any of this.

You want women just to shut up and budge over and accept all this, because it's not a problem that affects you. Thanks for the support. Not.

No, I just want you to show there is actually a significant problem to be solved. That's a mighty list you've written above. At the risk of repeating myself, do you have any evidence that it's a statistically significant risk that requires action. Because all I've seen is what you believe and your anecdotes. That's lousy logic. That's not even logic.
__________________
Up the River!

Last edited by 3point14; 18th July 2018 at 10:09 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:04 AM   #258
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,010
Originally Posted by JihadJane View Post
I haven't googled "Terf threatens trans activists? " so cannot answer your question, sadhatter.

What did you find when you googled "Terf threatens trans activists? "
Seems like if you wanted to actually know the answer you would have done that instead of adding a meaningless step of making someone else do it.

I found plenty, go try,prove me wrong.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:05 AM   #259
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 45,435
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I don't know what else you'd call it, asserting that a man can actually turn into a woman.
Can you define your terms, please? What is a man, and what is a woman?
__________________
One cannot expect wisdom to flow from a pumpkin.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:05 AM   #260
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 42,427
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Got any statistics?

That could be all of them in the whole world all gathered in one place, whiich would make them a vanishingly small percentage. Or that could be a tiny, tiny portion of the whole.

Do you have any statistics? I'm being inundated with argument by anecdote here. You and Rolfe seem to be the primary standard bearers and you're both so sure it's an issue, but you've both only come with 'feelings' anecdotes and stuff you 'know' without showing how you know it.

Nothing I have seen so far constitutes evidence of a problem beyond a teeny, tiny group of loud idiots. There are a subset of loud idiots in any group, it's the nature of people. You've not shown that it's in any way a problem.

Again, as with all idiot subsets, I would recommend dealing with and prosecuting the subset as and when it's called for. The massive, and as far as I can see, unjustified, brush that you and Rolfe are using - from a position of no statistical information at all, is freaking me out when I'm on a skeptics forum.

I don't disbelieve the lesbians whose accounts I read about all their meetings being over-run by men insisting that they must be treated as women and their penises as big clitorises or lady dicks. I've seen a lot of relevant activity online supporting the case that there's a sizeable problem.

I've stopped being surprised by the number of men who wade into this telling women that as far as they're concerned it's not a significant problem so women, just budge over and make room for any man who wants to be in your space. It was always thus.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.

Last edited by Rolfe; 18th July 2018 at 10:09 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:06 AM   #261
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,382
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
They know it's a problem
Quote the reverse. I'm waiting for someone to show, with any reasonable application of critical thinking or statistical techniques, that there is actually a problem.

Perhaps you can do that? No-one else has managed it.
__________________
Up the River!
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:06 AM   #262
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,010
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Then it won't be too hard for you to show those numbers. From where are you gathering your information? Can I see it? Can I see your maths?





No, I just want you to show there is actually a significant problem to be solved. That's a might list you've written above. At the risk of repeating myself, do you have any evidence that it's a statistically significant risk that requires action. Because all I've seen is what you believe and your anecdotes. That's lousy logic. That's not even logic.
The chances of being in a mass shooting are incredibly small yet we take actions to correct them. In fact there is a massive movement for that right now.

Should they stop?
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:08 AM   #263
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,010
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Quote the reverse. I'm waiting for someone to show, with any reasonable application of critical thinking or statistical techniques, that there is actually a problem.

Perhaps you can do that? No-one else has managed it.
Put my quote in context and answer as such and I will go through that effort.

When you skip and ignore 90 pet cent of my post I don't feel you are arguing in good faith.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:11 AM   #264
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,382
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
Put my quote in context and answer as such and I will go through that effort.

When you skip and ignore 90 pet cent of my post I don't feel you are arguing in good faith.
Okay:


Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
No need to go over board, it's not because it doesn't affect them, it's because supporting trans folks gets them more applause from the sjw crowd.

It's being selfish not ignorant, give them some credit. They know it's a problem
Quite the reverse. I'm waiting for someone to show, with any reasonable application of critical thinking or statistical techniques, that there is actually a problem.

Perhaps you can do that? No-one else has managed it.

Quote:
and they picked their side based on what gets them more likes.
__________________
Up the River!
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:12 AM   #265
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,010
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Can you define your terms, please? What is a man, and what is a woman?
Man= barring injury,mutation ,disease ,effects of aging , etc. could produce a child with a woman via unassisted sexual Intercourse.

Woman= the reverse of man.

Seems better than

Man=anything

Woman=anything.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:13 AM   #266
sadhatter
Philosopher
 
sadhatter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,010
Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Okay:




Quite the reverse. I'm waiting for someone to show, with any reasonable application of critical thinking or statistical techniques, that there is actually a problem.

Perhaps you can do that? No-one else has managed it.
That's not replying that's just placing the quote above your lazy reply.

Try harder and so will I.
sadhatter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:15 AM   #267
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 7,782
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
In what way are inoffensive trans-identifying people being restricted from their normal daily activities by a group of lesbians rocking up to Pride with banners that say things like "Lesbian = female homosexual" and "The penis is not a female organ"?
Because said group of lesbians are directly denying - as you are - the personal validity of transwomen and transmen. The very fact that you can't even bring yourself to use those terms, but instead keep saying "trans identifying men/women" is exactly the same denialism.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:15 AM   #268
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 42,427
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
To one side.

To the other is about members of the LGBT community being silenced in favor of members that are more media relevant.

Stories about gay people are so last last year, trans is where it is at for gaining sjw points.

There is an argument that the trans lobby case has been taken up by Stonewall because as a gay, lesbian, homosexual lobby organisation they're redundant. They've got everything they wanted in that department, legally speaking. There's nothing left to campaign for as regards legislation and rights.

So what do they do? Disband, and everyone loses their jobs? Contract with death by a thousand cuts as their funding dries up? Or find a new group to be active for?

This is the basis of the lesbians' complaint. That their own organisation is ostracising them and taking the side of the heterosexual men who want into their pants. That was precisely the point being made by their banners. And the organisers tried to have them thrown off the Pride march for carrying these banners. (The men in skirts with the pink baseball bats wrapped in barbed wire labelled "TERF-basher" were absolutely fine though. That was just symbolic, didn't mean anything, not an actual incitement to violence - not like calling a man in a skirt "he", because that's literal violence.)
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:18 AM   #269
3point14
Pi
 
3point14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 15,382
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
That's not replying that's just placing the quote above your lazy reply.

Try harder and so will I.

Not really sure what you want then. I don't know that I can place it in any more context than your entire quote.

If you could be specific about what you would like me to include with my question, I will make every effort to meet your request.
__________________
Up the River!
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:18 AM   #270
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin
 
zooterkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Berkshire, mostly
Posts: 40,765
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
There does not appear to be a cohort of trans-identifying women who are being violent and aggressive towards men, and calling gay men transphobic if they say they don't want to have sex with them. So this is a problem pretty much confined to the male of the species.
And how many trans-identifying men are being violent and aggressive towards women, and calling lesbians transphobic if they say they don't want to have sex with them?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.Bertrand Russell
Zooterkin is correct Darat
Nerd! Hokulele
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:18 AM   #271
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 7,782
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
And yet you and others are content to insist that because you know a few trans-identifying men who are inoffensive, nice people then that characterises the whole group and anyone who's different from that is the aberration.

It works both ways.
Or maybe the rational interpretation is that the anecdotal numbers suggest the ones you're bothered by are really just a noisy minority.

A bit like the noisy minority who decided to crash London Pride and steal the front of the march from the NHS. Never mind, I'm sure we can just pretend that wasn't a ****** and selfish thing to do, and we can pretend next year is the NHS's 70 anniversary all over again, and they can have another go at leading the march, eh?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:19 AM   #272
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 42,427
Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Because said group of lesbians are directly denying - as you are - the personal validity of transwomen and transmen. The very fact that you can't even bring yourself to use those terms, but instead keep saying "trans identifying men/women" is exactly the same denialism.

Well of course they're pointing out that these people are not women. Because they're not women. This seems to be the basis for your position, that you demand that others should acknowledge something which is outside actual reality.

Well hey, reality called. These people are not women because a man cannot turn into a woman.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:22 AM   #273
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 42,427
Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Or maybe the rational interpretation is that the anecdotal numbers suggest the ones you're bothered by are really just a noisy minority.

A bit like the noisy minority who decided to crash London Pride and steal the front of the march from the NHS. Never mind, I'm sure we can just pretend that wasn't a ****** and selfish thing to do, and we can pretend next year is the NHS's 70 anniversary all over again, and they can have another go at leading the march, eh?

As I understand it, they did not set out to lead the march. They set out to join the march, and the organisers tried to have them ejected. They then lay down in the street either on or under their banners, not sure which. At some point the organisers were made aware that legally they had no power to exclude the women from the march. Their eventual position was the result of this contretemps and not actually intended.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:23 AM   #274
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 7,782
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
People denied gay people were doing gay things? I think the issue was rather the opposite they knew they were going on and hatred it.

Stop trying to shoehorn in comparisons that don't fit.
Try not getting hold of the wrong end of the stick.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:25 AM   #275
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 7,782
Originally Posted by sadhatter View Post
You accept that someone can be transgender but deny that someone can have the soul of an animal. How is that different?
I have no idea. It's your non sequitur, not mine.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:27 AM   #276
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 11,934
This isn't the debate we need to be having. Questions of how exactly transgender people have to be conceptualized don't change the fact that they aren't a danger to us.
__________________
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote that the world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." - Detective Sommerset, Se7en
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:29 AM   #277
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 7,782
Originally Posted by pharphis View Post
I wonder why that is. I'd guess that men simply don't care as much as women do but it's not obvious to me why that is. Maybe they're less afraid, or more accepting, or have different criteria for what makes someone able to join said space, or aren't as entitled to their own "(male) spaces".
One could be snarky and point out that men have had fifty years of being told they don't have any "male" spaces left that shouldn't be also open to women, and so have got used to not having any anymore.

Doesn't that just demonstrate the law of unintended consequences...?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:31 AM   #278
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 42,427
Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
And how many trans-identifying men are being violent and aggressive towards women, and calling lesbians transphobic if they say they don't want to have sex with them?

Well, here's a sample. https://terfisaslur.com/

As I said, I hear many lesbians lamenting that lesbian groups have been universally over-run by such people and that it's impossible to have a women-only group for anything without being accused of transphobia. That suggests it's not just one or two atypical individuals. I discovered recently that someone I've known slightly for about 20 years has a blog railing against lesbians for not being open to having sex with him. I've attended a public meeting to discuss the wider issues, and the speakers and the audience, describing their own personal experiences, certainly convinced me there was a problem.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:32 AM   #279
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member
 
Rolfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: NT 150 511
Posts: 42,427
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This isn't the debate we need to be having. Questions of how exactly transgender people have to be conceptualized don't change the fact that they aren't a danger to us.

Your name is Joe, not Jo. I don't think transgender people are a danger to you.
__________________
"The way we vote will depend, ultimately, on whether we are persuaded to hope or to fear." - Aonghas MacNeacail, June 2012.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2018, 10:36 AM   #280
Information Analyst
Philosopher
 
Information Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, UK.
Posts: 7,782
Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
I don't disbelieve the lesbians whose accounts I read about all their meetings being over-run by men insisting that they must be treated as women and their penises as big clitorises or lady dicks. I've seen a lot of relevant activity online supporting the case that there's a sizeable problem.
And how representative are these lesbians? Most I know are too busy living their lives to be attending the meetings of the over-politicised minority.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:07 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.