ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd August 2018, 05:53 PM   #1
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Atheist chaplains?

Military chaplains could be atheists if discrimination complaint upheld

Quote:
The requirement for military chaplains to belong to a recognised religious denomination is discriminatory, according to a complaint to the Australian Human Rights Commission brought by a humanist chaplain.

The commission has accepted a complaint from Justin Murray, a volunteer chaplain at Canberra hospital, meaning it will now investigate and conciliate the case which could open the way for atheists and agnostics to hold posts as military chaplains.

Australian army chaplains are required to be “from an endorsed denomination or faith group” represented in army personnel. The only categories currently recognised by the army are Anglicans, Catholics, Presbyterians, Baptists, Lutherans, the Uniting church, various other christian groups and the Council of Australian Jewry.

Murray – who is not religious – has lodged a complaint with the AHRC on the basis he is not eligible to apply and has therefore been discriminated against on the grounds of his religious belief.

On 17 July the AHRC wrote to Murray confirming it has accepted his complaint and promising to deal with it “as soon as possible” using its powers to assess, investigate and conciliate disputes.

Murray’s complaint argued that 53% of Australian Defence Force personnel are not religious, meaning there was “no provision” of pastoral services for “the majority of ADF personnel”.
I confess to be a little confused as to why atheist personnel require chaplains (rather than counsellors) in the first place. But it's good that the discriminatory aspect of the role is being looked at.
Old 2nd August 2018, 06:18 PM   #2
Pope130
Master Poster

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Military chaplains could be atheists if discrimination complaint upheld

I confess to be a little confused as to why atheist personnel require chaplains (rather than counsellors) in the first place. But it's good that the discriminatory aspect of the role is being looked at.
It's possible that in the Australian military, as in the US, that a Chaplain has access to resources, and requirements for privacy that other forms of counselor do not. You may have soldiers who are not comfortable talking to a representative of a religion, but could still benefit from conversation with a confidential counselor and advocate.

I was a bit surprised a how short the list of accredited god-botherers is. Don't you have a significant number of soldiers of other faiths or traditions?
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2018, 06:35 PM   #3
Thor 2
Illuminator

Interesting but given that chaplain by definition is a member of clergy and an atheist is just not that, it will need some other title for such a role methinks.
Old 2nd August 2018, 07:01 PM   #4
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
It's possible that in the Australian military, as in the US, that a Chaplain has access to resources, and requirements for privacy that other forms of counselor do not. You may have soldiers who are not comfortable talking to a representative of a religion, but could still benefit from conversation with a confidential counselor and advocate.

I was a bit surprised a how short the list of accredited god-botherers is. Don't you have a significant number of soldiers of other faiths or traditions?
I'm sure we probably do, and this complaint, if upheld, will undoubtedly allow for chaplains of those faiths as well.
Old 2nd August 2018, 07:13 PM   #5
autumn1971
Master Poster

"The Council of Australian Jewry" sounds like the super-villains in a redneck comic-book.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2018, 07:44 PM   #6
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Little bit.
Old 2nd August 2018, 10:16 PM   #7
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Justin Murray, the man behind the complaint, has appeared on the Stop the National School Chaplaincy Program Facebook page, and indicated that the article may have misquoted him at one point.

Quote:
My exact words were: "I feel that religious requirements may prevent other chaplains ministering to people of different faiths, depending on how ecumenical they may be."
Old 3rd August 2018, 02:22 AM   #8
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Well, there are reportedly plenty of atheist priests in various Christian denominations, so why not?
Old 3rd August 2018, 02:24 AM   #9
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

TBH, I never understood why priests have to believe. Doesn't seem to be a requirement in any other job. I mean, I'm a programmer, and nobody asks if I believe that Turing was our messiah and died for our programming sins
Old 3rd August 2018, 02:32 AM   #10
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I suppose at one time chaplains in military forces made some kind of sense but in societies like say Australia and the UK they really seem to be a rather expensive anachronism. Wouldn't it just be better to do away with the official post rather than fight it on anti-discrimination grounds?
Old 3rd August 2018, 03:12 AM   #11
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I know the OP is about military chaplains, but many would not realise that Australia spends hundreds of millions of taxpayer money on chaplains in non-religious government schools started, shamefully by the Gillard Labor government.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...incy_Programme

As a consequence of court challenges, it was decided to allow secular “chaplains”. The result ?

Quote:
0.01% of the chaplains were secular
Even that was too much for the bible bashers in the Coalition.

Quote:
It was announced in May 2014 that the provision to allow secular welfare workers under NSCP would be removed, changing the definition of chaplain to someone ordained, commissioned or endorsed by a recognised religious institution. From December 2014, the 623 schools who were then hiring a secular welfare worker had to either hire a chaplain instead or go without either
Based on this experience, I can’t see athiest or even secular chaplains in the Australian military.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 04:04 AM   #12
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
Interesting but given that chaplain by definition is a member of clergy and an atheist is just not that, it will need some other title for such a role methinks.
Shades of the "does same sex marriage fall within the definition of marriage?" argument.
Old 3rd August 2018, 02:01 PM   #13
Thor 2
Illuminator

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
Shades of the "does same sex marriage fall within the definition of marriage?" argument.

................ Nah I don't think so.
Old 3rd August 2018, 02:09 PM   #14
Loss Leader
I would save the receptionist.

Every time I go into the hospital, they ask my faith for counseling purposes. I tell them not only do I not want religious counseling, but if anyone who looks vaguely religious enters my room, I will jump out the window.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 02:15 PM   #15
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Loss Leader View Post
Every time I go into the hospital, they ask my faith for counseling purposes. I tell them not only do I not want religious counseling, but if anyone who looks vaguely religious enters my room, I will jump out the window.
That will get you a psychiatric hold.

I said "Catholic" the first time I went to hospital, just for my mom. Never did that again.
Old 3rd August 2018, 02:27 PM   #16
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
A lot of religion is centered around marking and celebrating life events and doesn't necessarily require God.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 03:45 PM   #17
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
A lot of religion is centered around marking and celebrating life events and doesn't necessarily require God.

Judaism, in my experience, is far more about family and community than it is about one's personal relationship with God. We're not big believers in divine intervention for everyday things. It's probably the easiest religion to be an atheist in. So long as you show up for the dinners, nobody really cares.*

*Certainly, the more orthodox sects would disagree. But even then, it's more about doing what the rest of the community is doing.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 06:51 PM   #18
Hungry81
Graduate Poster

Judaism, in my experience, is far more about family and community than it is about one's personal relationship with God. We're not big believers in divine intervention for everyday things. It's probably the easiest religion to be an atheist in. So long as you show up for the dinners, nobody really cares.*

*Certainly, the more orthodox sects would disagree. But even then, it's more about doing what the rest of the community is doing.
Well its probably a good thing to not constantly expect devine intervention when your deity has a history of acting like a bipolar, jealous god.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 07:16 PM   #19
paulhutch
Master Poster

Harvard University has included a Humaist Chaplain in its group of a few dozen chaplains for quite a long time now. Some here may be familiar with Greg Epstein from his best seller Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2018, 07:30 PM   #20
Loss Leader

Originally Posted by Hungry81 View Post
Well its probably a good thing to not constantly expect devine intervention when your deity has a history of acting like a bipolar, jealous god.

I would say that the god of the Torah is not the god of modern conservative Judaism. It's kind of like watching the original Star Trek: flat-out crazy compared to today's standards, but still classic.

By the time of the prophets after the destruction of the Great Temple, the concept of God had matured a bit in the Jewish mind.

The best expplanation of the Jewish God that I've ever seen came from Gene Wilder in The Frisco Kid:

Quote:
He doesn't make rain. He gives us strength when we're suffering. He gives us compassion when all that we feel is hatred. He gives us courage when we're searching around blindly like little mice in the darkness... but He does not make rain!

[Thunder and lightning begin, followed by a downpour]

Of course... sometimes, just like that, he'll change his mind.

L. Leader

Last edited by Loss Leader; 3rd August 2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 4th August 2018, 07:14 AM   #21
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Last year, the DoD started recognizing Humanism as a religious preference. Assuming enough identify, that could lead the way to US military Humanist chaplains.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2018, 07:16 AM   #22
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And how is that relevant to the chaplain role in the military forces?
Old 4th August 2018, 10:08 AM   #23
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

I know of a rabbi who says you can convert to Judaism culturally without converting religiously. Granted, his is not the majority opinion.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And how is that relevant to the chaplain role in the military forces?
Because it could help you understand the role an athiest chaplain could fill?
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2018, 12:05 PM   #24
paulhutch
Master Poster

Chaplains can also provide guidance and counseling for moral and ethical questions.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2018, 12:14 PM   #25
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

They also perform a critical role when a service member dies.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2018, 03:12 AM   #26
Tommy Jeppesen
Master Poster

As a former professional soldier and then and now atheist, I could see the need for a chaplain even for atheists. The person just have to as pointed out above be able to counsel about the important questions in a non-religious way.

With regard
Old 5th August 2018, 03:57 AM   #27
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I know of a rabbi who says you can convert to Judaism culturally without converting religiously. Granted, his is not the majority opinion.

Because it could help you understand the role an athiest chaplain could fill?
You mean they deal with births, and marriages and burials?
Old 5th August 2018, 04:15 AM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tommy Jeppesen View Post
As a former professional soldier and then and now atheist, I could see the need for a chaplain even for atheists. The person just have to as pointed out above be able to counsel about the important questions in a non-religious way.

With regard
That would not be Chaplin then in the sense of the Australian military. Those chaplains are meant to minister (as in a Christian ministry) to the military forces they are part of. It is clearly defined as a religious role not a counseling role.

Approximately 50% of Australians define themselves as religious, about 30% as a member of a Christian religion. At best these positions cater for 30% of the military forces (that ignores of course the doctrinal issues between various Christian churches).

I can understand a need for a counseling role in a military force, wouldn't it be better to stop funding these Chaplains and move that funding into providing more and better counseling for the military forces? If the religious still want Christian ministry in the military forces they can provide that at zero cost to the small minority of military folk who wish that.

Let's not forget that a Christian ministry is about converting non Christians to become believers in Christianity. Is that kind of behaviour something the state and therefore the tax payers should be paying for out of a military budget?
Old 5th August 2018, 04:21 AM   #29
Tommy Jeppesen
Master Poster

Let's not forget that a Christian ministry is about converting non Christians to become believers in Christianity. Is that kind of behaviour something the state and therefore the tax payers should be paying for out of a military budget?
No.
Old 5th August 2018, 08:08 AM   #30
Loss Leader

As far as military chaplains go, that's just not true.

I would say that most christian sects are not proselytizers. The ones who are, though, are much more visible which might lead one to overestimate their numbers.

L. Leader
Old 5th August 2018, 08:22 AM   #31
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

You mean they deal with births, and marriages and burials?
The way you phrase it sounds like you're limiting it to those activities. I can't think of anything a Christian Chaplain would do that an athiest Chaplain couldn't. Conduct services? Give a sermon? Why not?

But don't forget that being a chaplain isn't the same as having a ministry.

Last edited by Mycroft; 5th August 2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 5th August 2018, 09:02 AM   #32
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Ridiculous on every level

From Stars and Stripes:

"What it comes down to, officials said, is that discussing matters of faith and religious practice with a willing audience is allowed, but pushing religious beliefs on those who don’t want to hear it is a form of harassment forbidden under Defense Department policies."
Old 5th August 2018, 09:52 AM   #33
Tommy Jeppesen
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

From Stars and Stripes:

"What it comes down to, officials said, is that discussing matters of faith and religious practice with a willing audience is allowed, but pushing religious beliefs on those who don’t want to hear it is a form of harassment forbidden under Defense Department policies."
It is about Australia.
Now that Australia exists, is of course fake news, as everything is about the USA.
Old 5th August 2018, 09:56 AM   #34
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tommy Jeppesen View Post
It is about Australia.
Now that Australia exists, is of course fake news, as everything is about the USA.
Actually it was a claim about Christian ministries.
Old 5th August 2018, 10:24 AM   #35
Tommy Jeppesen
Master Poster

Actually it was a claim about Christian ministries.
In Australia.
Old 5th August 2018, 11:00 AM   #36
Pope130
Master Poster

In my experience this is not the case. I've had occasion to work with a number of Chaplains. I was a Senior NCO in a unit with a high deployment rate (average 270 to 300 days a year) and, on several deployments was acting First Sergeant. Chaplains work as the point of contact for family problems from back home. They did notifications, counseling and coordination with family services, Red Cross and aid agencies.

Religion was not normally a factor, save when it was felt best to have the right flavor of preacher for a particular function. In most cases I did not even know what denomination they were.
Pope130 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2018, 03:09 PM   #37
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

As far as military chaplains go, that's just not true.

I would say that most christian sects are not proselytizers. The ones who are, though, are much more visible which might lead one to overestimate their numbers.
It is true about the RC and the Anglican Church, doesn't mean they are in your face evangelicals but they are there (as a part of a ministry) to save souls which means helping people become Christians.
Old 5th August 2018, 03:11 PM   #38
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The way you phrase it sounds like you're limiting it to those activities. I can't think of anything a Christian Chaplain would do that an athiest Chaplain couldn't. Conduct services? Give a sermon? Why not?

But don't forget that being a chaplain isn't the same as having a ministry.
In reference to this particular role in the Australian forces it is a ministry. It may be different for other countries.
Old 5th August 2018, 03:12 PM   #39
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

From Stars and Stripes:

What has the Stars and Stripes got to do with the Chaplin role in the Australian military?
Old 5th August 2018, 03:14 PM   #40
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
In my experience this is not the case. I've had occasion to work with a number of Chaplains. I was a Senior NCO in a unit with a high deployment rate (average 270 to 300 days a year) and, on several deployments was acting First Sergeant. Chaplains work as the point of contact for family problems from back home. They did notifications, counseling and coordination with family services, Red Cross and aid agencies.

Religion was not normally a factor, save when it was felt best to have the right flavor of preacher for a particular function. In most cases I did not even know what denomination they were.
I am sure they are not "in your face evangelicals" but it is mean to be ministry role therefore for the RC and Anglican it is meant to be about bringing people to God and saving their souls.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy