ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 7th August 2018, 03:44 PM   #1
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Parking a Motorcycle while black

Boston man tries to kick a black woman out of his neighborhood for the crime of parking her motorcycle while black.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/08/nei...rcycle-street/
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 04:05 PM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Prediction: He's black, she's a dude, and it was a pickup truck.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 04:15 PM   #3
Travis
Misanthrope of the Mountains

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

If that's the way Glass ends I will feel super ripped off.
Old 7th August 2018, 04:33 PM   #4
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Lol

Coffee Keyboard
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 04:33 PM   #5
Thermal
Philosopher

Prediction: alcohol is a factor.

Crazy dude was talking about a recent shooting that he seemed to associate with the rider. Maybe the shooting was biker related, rather than a black thing?
Old 7th August 2018, 05:11 PM   #6
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Prediction: alcohol is a factor.

Crazy dude was talking about a recent shooting that he seemed to associate with the rider. Maybe the shooting was biker related, rather than a black thing?
I'm sure that explains why he repeatedly used the N-word.
https://www.theroot.com/a-belligeren..._Root_facebook
Old 7th August 2018, 05:16 PM   #7
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Hate crime charges!

Oh man....
Old 7th August 2018, 05:19 PM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I'm no expert on these things so feel free to call me crazy, but after watching that video I have a suspicion that gentleman might have slight anger issues.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 05:21 PM   #9
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I listened to the video, heard '******* animals' a couple times near the end, but no n-bomb.
Old 7th August 2018, 05:28 PM   #10
Elagabalus
Illuminator

TBF, he might be one of those typical lyin', cheatin' Patriots fans.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 05:38 PM   #11
Mumbles
Philosopher

Boston..."N-word" used...obvious racist.

Yep. Reminds me of my time growing up there.

ANd of course, the fool's in Dorchester of all places. Neighborhood's full of black folks, but some fools just don't know how to behave in public.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 05:38 PM   #12
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Hoo boy. The RawStory blurb failed to mention that; it looks like all they had seen was the shared video, and weren't aware of the criminal case.

This time there wasn't even an escalating disagreement that apologists can blame the black people for not stopping before the white people got upset and started screaming; dude came straight out of the gate full-tilt-bigot.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 05:41 PM   #13
Checkmite

I listened to the video, heard '******* animals' a couple times near the end, but no n-bomb.
It was after the motorcyclists left, and was observed and reported by the police and resulted in his arrest:

Quote:
The motorcyclists left the scene after explaining to the officer that they were pulled over because of the detour (caused by the earlier crash) and were just trying to figure out where they were going. Sheehan left the scene, but returned and Officer Dorion observed him walking up Adams Street screaming a racial slur and pulling on a traffic sign pole. According the BPD report, Sheehan was repeatedly yelling "****** that [N-word]."

Sheehan was released on personal recognizance and is due to appear back in court in October.

According to Officer Steven McNulty, the BPD's Civil Rights Division will be investigating the incident as a potential hate crime.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2018, 05:53 PM   #14
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It was after the motorcyclists left, and was observed and reported by the police and resulted in his arrest:
Very different story, thanks for that.
Old 8th August 2018, 11:40 AM   #15
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Travis View Post
If that's the way Glass ends I will feel super ripped off.
I can't ever remember the two of you teaming up to bring such a smile to my face. Thank you!

I like that he was arrested for what he did after the motorcycle had left the scene. There is something great about the rider not even having to hear his BS, but him being punished for it.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 11:50 AM   #16
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

I thought mentioning it occurred in Boston explained that. Looks like I've got some catching up to do.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 12:10 PM   #17
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I think these threads haven't just jumped the shark, they've come back for a victory lap and gotten eaten by the shark.

Let's stop for a moment and think what these threads signify. They're almost always about two people (one white, one black) interacting badly. In a country of over 300 million. How many interactions between whites and blacks go perfectly smoothly? I'm guessing the huge majority.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 12:22 PM   #18
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Let's stop for a moment and think what these threads signify. They're almost always about two people (one white, one black) interacting badly. In a country of over 300 million. How many interactions between whites and blacks go perfectly smoothly? I'm guessing the huge majority.
I think part of the problem is that black people keep telling us (white people) that's not the case for many of them, but we prefer to guess that it is, and lend more credence to our guess than their experience.

And even if it is the case that the "huge majority" of interactions go perfectly smoothly, facing racial discrimination in only 25% of your interactions, say, is still a miserable and depressing QOL for a person.
Old 8th August 2018, 12:45 PM   #19
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I think part of the problem is that black people keep telling us (white people) that's not the case for many of them, but we prefer to guess that it is, and lend more credence to our guess than their experience.

And even if it is the case that the "huge majority" of interactions go perfectly smoothly, facing racial discrimination in only 25% of your interactions, say, is still a miserable and depressing QOL for a person.
Hell, even if it is 1 in 100 that would suck.

I think maybe one in a thousand of my interactions are even negative, much less hostile. I think I would have to go to one in ten thousand to find find people being real jerks.

If I knew that 1 in 100 of my interactions with white people would lead to overt racism it would impact my desire to even interact with people at all.

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 12:50 PM   #20
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

As a life-long motorcyclist, this may be more about the bike than color - I was once on the receiving end of a similar screaming nut that took extreme offense to me parking my "chopper" (a Yamaha YZF 750SP) on "his" street.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...750sp%2093.htm

He was worked up just as much as this *******, and his attitude did change considerably when I got my helmet off

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 01:04 PM   #21
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
As a life-long motorcyclist, this may be more about the bike than color - I was once on the receiving end of a similar screaming nut that took extreme offense to me parking my "chopper" (a Yamaha YZF 750SP) on "his" street.

He was worked up just as much as this *******, and his attitude did change considerably when I got my helmet off
I just have this picture of you pulling off your helmet and swishing your long locks around your face and over your shoulder while you bat your eyes and whisper out of barely parted lips "who, me?"

Old 8th August 2018, 01:26 PM   #22
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Hell, even if it is 1 in 100 that would suck.

I think maybe one in a thousand of my interactions are even negative, much less hostile. I think I would have to go to one in ten thousand to find find people being real jerks.

If I knew that 1 in 100 of my interactions with white people would lead to overt racism it would impact my desire to even interact with people at all.
What if it is 1 in a million or more?
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 01:44 PM   #23
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I just have this picture of you pulling off your helmet and swishing your long locks around your face and over your shoulder while you bat your eyes and whisper out of barely parted lips "who, me?"
It wasn't nice like that.

I'm sure he thought he was dealing with a kid.

I'm also sure that he didn't expect that the guy riding a "chopper" would be an off-duty officer.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 01:53 PM   #24
crescent
Master Poster

Although in this case, the guy came back out on the street again shouting the n-word. That suggest to me it was at partly about more than the bike.

crescent is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 01:57 PM   #25
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
What if it is 1 in a million or more?
What if apple trees provided macadamia nuts?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 02:00 PM   #26
Thermal
Philosopher

Crunching the numbers a little, if there are three interracial exchanges a day between 300,000,000 people, that's something like a billion per day. Even a million Living While Black threads per day would represent a small fraction of a percent of them. That's my objection to these threads; they show occasional bigots, but not even remotely representing the problem. This one is some drunk furious guy. Does it shed light on anything? Just that there are smacked asses running around. Don't we know that already?

Last edited by Thermal; 8th August 2018 at 02:02 PM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 02:01 PM   #27
Thermal
Philosopher

The guy seemed to equate the bike with the shooting. I'm wondering if she was wearing colors? Might explain his intensity
Old 8th August 2018, 02:03 PM   #28
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

He should build a wall around his neighborhood.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 02:06 PM   #29
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Crunching the numbers a little, if there are three interracial exchanges a day between 300,000,000 people, that's something like a billion per day. Even a million Living While Black threads per day would represent a small fraction of a percent of them. That's my objection to these threads; they show occasional bigots, but not even remotely representing the problem. This one is some drunk furious guy. Does it shed light on anything? Just that there are smacked asses running around. Don't we know that already?
What are your numbers on interactions with unicorns? As long as you're going to fantasize, you can at least go all the way.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 02:22 PM   #30
Checkmite

Such an inconvenience it must be, having a subforum dedicated to current events being cluttered up with threads about current events (where racism happens). I can't imagine how much more inconvenient it must be when those racism event threads are actually things that actually happen to you personally in the course of your life on a daily basis.

We already know that murderers and mass shootings and corrupt politicians exist; why bother having a thread for any new one that comes to light? A full half-century by now of "we know racism happens, you don't need to complain about it every single time" has led to nothing in the middle of nowhere whatsoever, while tens of millions of people who "know about it already" get to completely ignore it because they never have to be reminded.

Last edited by Checkmite; 8th August 2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 8th August 2018, 02:51 PM   #31
Thermal
Philosopher

Such an inconvenience it must be, having a subforum dedicated to current events being cluttered up with threads about current events (where racism happens). I can't imagine how much more inconvenient it must be when those racism event threads are actually things that actually happen to you personally in the course of your life on a daily basis.

We already know that murderers and mass shootings and corrupt politicians exist; why bother having a thread for any new one that comes to light? A full half-century by now of "we know racism happens, you don't need to complain about it every single time" has led to nothing in the middle of nowhere whatsoever, while tens of millions of people who "know about it already" get to completely ignore it because they never have to be reminded.
You're missing the point. Its not a current event. Running across an ******* is an everyday event, and an unremarkable one. In this OP, even the police did the right thing, as they should have (I think they should have arrestef in the first video, but better late than never). Does this show The Black Experience? I doubt it. We all cross paths with smackers like this guy, and pretty regularly.
Old 8th August 2018, 02:57 PM   #32
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Does this show The Black Experience? I doubt it.
"...because of my extensive appearance as thousands of black people in America."
Old 8th August 2018, 03:13 PM   #33
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
"...because of my extensive appearance as thousands of black people in America."
If the OP is an example of the black experience, then it is pretty much the same as the white experience. Dealing with a whacko.

If your point is 'it happens so much more often to blacks' , then these threads do not support that claim till they are in the millions per day.

If your claim us that treatment that the OP woman received is unique to black people, you are an idiot.

Is there an interpretation of your observation that is not foolish? The floor is yours.
Old 8th August 2018, 03:27 PM   #34
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

If the OP is an example of the black experience, then it is pretty much the same as the white experience. Dealing with a whacko.

If your point is 'it happens so much more often to blacks' , then these threads do not support that claim till they are in the millions per day.

If your claim us that treatment that the OP woman received is unique to black people, you are an idiot.

Is there an interpretation of your observation that is not foolish? The floor is yours.
My claim is that you're dismissive of all these incidents based on your anecdotal fantasies of what America is like. This is demonstrated in this thread, for example, by making numbers up in order to "crunch" them and then presenting your opinion on what constitutes "The Black Experience."

Me, I have no idea of what it's like to be black every day in this miserable excuse for a country. What I do know is that there are lots of racists on the streets and plenty of them right here on this forum.
Old 8th August 2018, 03:29 PM   #35
Checkmite

You're missing the point. Its not a current event. Running across an ******* is an everyday event, and an unremarkable one. Does this show The Black Experience? I doubt it.
lol

I'm reminded of a story I read back when I was still at school. A math professor - or perhaps a philosopher? I forget which, it was such a long time ago - was trying to explain to his class why it is, in fact, physically impossible for a person to walk across the room and touch another person.

If I remember right, the explanation went something like this: in order for a person to traverse any distance whatsoever, they must first traverse half that distance. And then before they can traverse the other half, they must first traverse half the remaining distance - and then again half the then-remaining difference, and so on, and so on. Since every possible remaining distance however minute can be halved, and must be half-traversed again, it is logically impossible that a journey between two points can ever be completed.

I do not recall if at this point in the story the professor invites an attempt at rebuttal; but whether or not, a student gets up from his desk, calmly approaches the professor, reaches out, and touches his arm. Which riles up the professor, who angrily asserts that the student missed the point.

The black people posting these videos, complaints, and stories about slices of their daily lives, are telling us - in as many words, even - that this IS the "Black Experience".

Your reply:

Does this show The Black Experience? I doubt it.

...and then you make an argument, based on population statistics, that racist incidents like these could happen literally millions of times a day across the country and still not be worth your attention.
Old 8th August 2018, 03:33 PM   #36
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

...and then you make an argument, based on COMPLETELY MADE-UP population statistics, that racist incidents like these could happen literally millions of times a day across the country and still not be worth your attention.
I can't help but FTFY. It makes your point more clear, though. Not only did he posit that these incidents happen millions of times a day but he did it based on numbers he pulled out of his own proverbial hindquarters.
Old 8th August 2018, 03:47 PM   #37
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

You're missing the point. Its not a current event. Running across an ******* is an everyday event, and an unremarkable one. In this OP, even the police did the right thing, as they should have (I think they should have arrestef in the first video, but better late than never). Does this show The Black Experience? I doubt it. We all cross paths with smackers like this guy, and pretty regularly.

An unrepentant, overtly, proudly racist *******.

Yes, it does seem to be an everyday, unremarkable event.

Which is exactly the problem.

What seems to be disturbing about these threads to some people is that they make it obvious just how common these events are, instead of allowing them to pretend to themselves that they were some sort of exception, and we currently live in a post-racist society.

It is odd (but impressive) how you can put your finger directly on the crux of the problem and still manage to miss it entirely. A willful blindness shared by an unfortunately large number of other people.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 03:53 PM   #38
chrispy
Muse

lol

I'm reminded of a story I read back when I was still at school. A math professor - or perhaps a philosopher? I forget which, it was such a long time ago - was trying to explain to his class why it is, in fact, physically impossible for a person to walk across the room and touch another person.

If I remember right, the explanation went something like this: in order for a person to traverse any distance whatsoever, they must first traverse half that distance. And then before they can traverse the other half, they must first traverse half the remaining distance - and then again half the then-remaining difference, and so on, and so on. Since every possible remaining distance however minute can be halved, and must be half-traversed again, it is logically impossible that a journey between two points can ever be completed.

I do not recall if at this point in the story the professor invites an attempt at rebuttal; but whether or not, a student gets up from his desk, calmly approaches the professor, reaches out, and touches his arm. Which riles up the professor, who angrily asserts that the student missed the point.

The black people posting these videos, complaints, and stories about slices of their daily lives, are telling us - in as many words, even - that this IS the "Black Experience".

I believe it was one one of Zeno's Paradoxes, IIRC. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 04:18 PM   #39
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
I believe it was one one of Zeno's Paradoxes, IIRC. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure
It's one of the paradoxes of motion from Zeno.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2018, 04:45 PM   #40
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
It's one of the paradoxes of motion from Zeno.

Yeah, I hadn't even given a thought to that one since a university Sciences of Antiquity class

/derail
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events