ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:45 AM   #41
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I've often thought about wearing a Speedo to the pool but doubt I could pull it off.
Pulling off your Speedo while at the pool is frowned upon.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:23 AM   #42
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Up next people will think it is ok for fat women to go to the pool at all. We can still see that you are fat in a 1 piece just like a 2 piece bathing suit.

Seriously if you are caused such a strong visceral reaction at the sight of the human body that you are making a big deal of this, get help.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:39 AM   #43
Diablo
Critical Thinker

We used to go on holiday in Morocco which is frequented by lots of Germans. The elderly women liked to sunbathe topless, and the sight of acres of fat wrinkled brown flesh frying in the sun was quite enough to put you off your dinner.
Diablo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 01:56 PM   #44
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
Pulling off your Speedo while at the pool is frowned upon.
Yeah there's definitely rules against that.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 01:57 PM   #45
Checkmite

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Seriously if you are caused such a strong visceral reaction at the sight of the human body that you are making a big deal of this, get help.
There's nothing wrong with the sight of the human body.

The sight of a speedo is an entirely different matter. Altogether.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 04:29 PM   #46
Sherkeu
Muse

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The sight of a speedo is an entirely different matter. Altogether.
And sometimes it cannot even be seen...

I recall as a kid being perplexed by a large naked man at the beach in Hawaii. Turns out he wasn't naked - but you could only see the speedo from the back!!
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 04:41 PM   #47
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I don't get it. What, objectively, is fundamentally bad about Speedos?
Old 9th August 2018, 04:43 PM   #48
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Men do not present themselves as objectively beautiful as women do.
Old 9th August 2018, 04:52 PM   #49
Checkmite

It's not an objective thing. A cat, for instance, would see nothing wrong about a human wearing a speedo; or at least, nothing especially wrong relative to other humans who aren't wearing a speedo. It takes some semblance of taste to understand the atrocity that is the speedo; and admittedly, taste is a subjective trait that many creatures, including a number of humans, do not possess.
Old 9th August 2018, 06:31 PM   #50
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I think you mean men do not view other men as beautiful. Unless they're, like, totally gay.

Why should you or I care about how much manflesh is on display?
Old 9th August 2018, 06:50 PM   #51
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That's male heteronormativity for you: if something's not to their interest it has no value at all.
Old 9th August 2018, 07:06 PM   #52
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah there's definitely rules against that.
INdeed. Here in Vermont, though it's quite legal to come to the pool naked (except in Brattleboro), you have to make that choice before you get in. It's illegal to shuck your duds in public.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 07:08 PM   #53
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Presumably you don't. I don't. But I think you could find some dissenters.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 07:55 PM   #54
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
This is basically the rule of thumb here

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 9th August 2018, 08:23 PM   #55
Thermal
Illuminator

I think you mean men do not view other men as beautiful. Unless they're, like, totally gay.
No, no, no. A man can be very beautiful to another man. Hell, during the Olympics my wife and I both turn half gay admiring the athletes' physiques.

The difference is in the subtlety. For example, I've never found the spread-eagle Hustler magazine poses to be attractive, but a woman in a sundress can be breathtaking. Same thing with a guy in a Speedo. Just a notch or two too graphic for the bounds of decorum.

Quote:
Why should you or I care about how much manflesh is on display?
The juxtaposition of visibly outlined genitalia is a bit off-putting in many social gatherings. No big deal, you say? How would you feel about nude shopping malls? Time and place, brah. The junk should stay plus or minus out of sight in public situations. Speedos are like gift wrapping a golf club; you're not concealing anything.
Old 9th August 2018, 08:30 PM   #56
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

The juxtaposition of visibly outlined genitalia is a bit off-putting in many social gatherings. No big deal, you say? How would you feel about nude shopping malls? Time and place, brah. The junk should stay plus or minus out of sight in public situations. Speedos are like gift wrapping a golf club; you're not concealing anything.
Should tight pants also be banned? When you see a "camel toe," does that violate your sense of decorum? Perhaps you fan yourself and declare "I never!"?

And, of course, the most important question: Why should anyone besides you give a **** about your sense of decorum in the first place?

Seriously, though, stop looking at guys' junk if it bothers you so much. Don't try to make your childish hangups their problem.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 08:53 PM   #57
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
It's not just homophobes, lots of idiots have a deep fear of the male body, even when they themselves are male.
The guys who wince at the sight of a speedo are usually the same ones who
Edited by kmortis:  Removed to comply with Rule 2 & Rule 9

Last edited by kmortis; 13th August 2018 at 08:45 AM.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 09:11 PM   #58
Checkmite

Frankly I would be okay with visiting a nude shopping mall, as long you don't have to be nude to go there of course. And as long as speedos were banned.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:34 PM   #59
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Should tight pants also be banned? When you see a "camel toe," does that violate your sense of decorum? Perhaps you fan yourself and declare "I never!"?

And, of course, the most important question: Why should anyone besides you give a **** about your sense of decorum in the first place?

Seriously, though, stop looking at guys' junk if it bothers you so much. Don't try to make your childish hangups their problem.
I'd like to take this time to thank you for bringing some much needed misery into the thread.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:35 PM   #60
Thermal
Illuminator

Frankly I would be okay with visiting a nude shopping mall, as long you don't have to be nude to go there of course. And as long as speedos were banned.
Strip Mall 2.0. Could be a thing.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:36 PM   #61
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

No, no, no. A man can be very beautiful to another man. Hell, during the Olympics my wife and I both turn half gay admiring the athletes' physiques.

The difference is in the subtlety. For example, I've never found the spread-eagle Hustler magazine poses to be attractive, but a woman in a sundress can be breathtaking. Same thing with a guy in a Speedo. Just a notch or two too graphic for the bounds of decorum.
Who defines where the bounds of decorum are? You?

Nude shopping malls? Sure, why not? As long as the people are clean and not leaving skid marks on the food court seats, what's the problem?

Why should the sight of a flaccid penis upset anyone? It's a perfectly normal part of the body that many of us have. Why should it be hidden from view as though it is a source of shame?
Old 9th August 2018, 10:00 PM   #62
Thermal
Illuminator

Who defines where the bounds of decorum are? You?
Drop trou in front of a cop and some of the definitions will be provided for you.

Quote:
Nude shopping malls? Sure, why not? As long as the people are clean and not leaving skid marks on the food court seats, what's the problem?

Why should the sight of a flaccid penis upset anyone? It's a perfectly normal part of the body that many of us have. Why should it be hidden from view as though it is a source of shame?
You have some sort of hang-up about erect penises, I take it? Prude. I guess a little masturbation at the nude mall is going to pose a problem as well? If it is clean, is that a problem? Perfectly normal. Shouldn't be a source of shame and all.

I think I'm getting on board with this. 'Come to Australia: We're Putting the Penile in Penal Colony'
Old 9th August 2018, 11:26 PM   #63
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Drop trou in front of a cop and some of the definitions will be provided for you.
There are indeed laws against "indecent exposure". If it is not done in a sexual or a harrassing manner, why should casual nudity be a problem?

You have some sort of hang-up about erect penises, I take it? Prude.
Nope. Nothing wrong with a dick, erect or floppy. It's folks like you what make it shameful.

I guess a little masturbation at the nude mall is going to pose a problem as well?
No-one was talking about masturbation. Until now, the discussion has been about nudity, and before that, explicit non-nudity in the form of speedos.

If it is clean, is that a problem? Perfectly normal. Shouldn't be a source of shame and all.
Well, there's a matter of hygeine, you see.

I think I'm getting on board with this. 'Come to Australia: We're Putting the Penile in Penal Colony'
There is no linguistic link between penis and penal. "Penal" derives from the Latin word poena "punishment", while "penis" derives from the latin word penis "penis". A poor joke that relies on a spurious coincidental homophone.
Old 10th August 2018, 12:55 AM   #64
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

There is no linguistic link between penis and penal. "Penal" derives from the Latin word poena "punishment", while "penis" derives from the latin word penis "penis". A poor joke that relies on a spurious coincidental homophone.
Heheh... you said homophone.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 01:19 AM   #65
Checkmite

I think this digression about nudity is a calculated distraction intended to divert our attention from the speedo menace. I, for one, will not be fooled.
Old 10th August 2018, 01:27 AM   #66
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
First, the guy says :

"As far as I understand the policy is no speedos, but 'this' is not a speedo so I don't actually understand why I'm being removed."

He either didn't know, or he planned to use the not-technically-a-speedo excuse.
I actually missed this the first time around, and had to rewatch.

My conclusion about the venue having a problem with "insufficiently masculine appearance" has not changed; but I do have to admit this is a pretty awful argument.

"Yes I concede the venue forbids Doc Martens, but the sign clearly says nothing about my Professor Netrams, which I got last weekend from the Gnucci vendor at the flea market and which may coincidentally have a nearly identical color and cut but are, nevertheless, definitely not Doc Martens."
Old 10th August 2018, 01:48 AM   #67
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

What's with the homophobia angle by the way? Are speedos considered 'for gays only' in the US?
Old 10th August 2018, 01:59 AM   #68
RolandRat
Scholar

I think this digression about nudity is a calculated distraction intended to divert our attention from the speedo menace. I, for one, will not be fooled.
/r/ SAnon. Where We Go One We Go all.

RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 05:50 AM   #69
Thermal
Illuminator

There are indeed laws against "indecent exposure". If it is not done in a sexual or a harrassing manner, why should casual nudity be a problem?
Your parameters are capricious and arbitrary. To borrow from your earlier challenge, who determines the bounds of 'sexual'? You? Hey, strip down in a school zone casually, completely non-sexually (whatever that means) and non-harrassingly. Let me know if the problem casually presents itself.

Quote:
Nope. Nothing wrong with a dick, erect or floppy. It's folks like you what make it shameful.
Who said anything about shameful? I opine that it is a tad too graphic to be presented for public consideration. My standard is not so different from the law. Shall we discuss the difference between shame and discretion?

Quote:
No-one was talking about masturbation. Until now, the discussion has been about nudity, and before that, explicit non-nudity in the form of speedos.
Thanks for the recap. As I have the attention span of a goldfish, it is helpful.
The discussion of potential public nudity in a retail outlet setting flowed from the topic of conventional standards of decorum re: state of attire. If you rely on the naturalness and lack of a need for shame that you find inherent to justify public nudity, the same justification should apply to public masturbation, yes?

Quote:
Well, there's a matter of hygeine, you see.
Only if taken to an overly enthusiastic conclusion. One must be considerate of bystanders, of course.

Quote:
Assertion of a linguistic link is the takeaway, is it now? Look, I have it on good authority from 1980's movies that Aussies are fun-loving party animals. I'm going to have to insist that you make more effort to conform to these norms. I'm doing my part as a crass and boorish American. Step it up, Vicky.
Old 10th August 2018, 06:53 AM   #70
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
What's with the homophobia angle by the way? Are speedos considered 'for gays only' in the US?
I never got that. In my neck 'o the woods, it is obese hairy guys with Mr. T-ish levels of gold dripping off them that wear them.
Old 10th August 2018, 07:34 AM   #71
RolandRat
Scholar

I never got that. In my neck 'o the woods, it is obese hairy guys with Mr. T-ish levels of gold dripping off them that wear them.

In my neck of the words it seems to be a competition between the obese bloke and the old bloke to see who can out-gross each other in them.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 07:36 AM   #72
RolandRat
Scholar

Only if taken to an overly enthusiastic conclusion. One must be considerate of bystanders, of course.

Is shouting "catch" being considerate?
Old 10th August 2018, 08:09 AM   #73
Checkmite

Why this focus on old and/or overweight people, as if speedos don't look every bit as preposterous on young and fit bodies?
Old 10th August 2018, 08:13 AM   #74
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Why this focus on old and/or overweight people, as if speedos don't look every bit as preposterous on young and fit bodies?
By that reasoning, so must bikinis.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 08:25 AM   #75
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Word. Guys can't wear bikinis, either, moobs or not.

G-strings and tassles are right out.
Old 10th August 2018, 08:31 AM   #76
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Obviously haven’t been to my neck of the woods. Last time I saw anyone in a bikini it was a guy. Wandering around the SF financial district. Looked like he was smuggling a parrot.
Old 10th August 2018, 08:35 AM   #77
Diablo
Critical Thinker

I really object to people wearing cycling shorts coming into bars and restaurants. They can do what they like while cycling but it's really inappropriate to wear them around town.
Diablo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 08:37 AM   #78
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Why should your tastes and whims determine how others are allowed to appear?
Old 10th August 2018, 08:40 AM   #79
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
Amiably conceded on the previous page already.
Old 10th August 2018, 08:42 AM   #80
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

What's 'preposterous' about them? Are you unfamiliar with human anatomy? Does the presence of a bulge confuse you? Is it seeing the entirety of legs?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events