ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:05 AM   #1
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Chicago: Walking home from a date while white gonna get more dangerous this weekend

A man and woman were knocked down and robbed by two armed suspects Wednesday morning in the Bucktown neighborhood, Chicago police said.

A 25-year-old woman and 31-year-old man were walking hand-in-hand on the sidewalk in the 2000-block of West Charleston Street at about 3:15 a.m., police said.

https://abc7chicago.com/2-knocked-do...town-/3909040/
"Brennan has a history that calls into question his objectivity and credibility. In 2014, for example, he denied to Congress that CIA officials under his supervision had improperly accessed the computer files of congressional staffers... The CIA’s Inspector General, however, contradicted Mr. Brennan directly"

Last edited by The Big Dog; 9th August 2018 at 10:00 AM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 09:07 AM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And?
Old 9th August 2018, 09:15 AM   #3
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
And?
Did you read, the article, did you watch the video, did you see the gun?

Chicago is talking about taking cops out of this neighborhood this weekend, because the gangs are shooting up the South and west sides.
"Brennan has a history that calls into question his objectivity and credibility. In 2014, for example, he denied to Congress that CIA officials under his supervision had improperly accessed the computer files of congressional staffers... The CIA’s Inspector General, however, contradicted Mr. Brennan directly"
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 09:17 AM   #4
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post

Chicago is talking about taking cops out of this neighborhood this weekend, because the gangs are shooting up the South and west sides.
So, is this a gun control thread or a police need better management thread?

I can get behind either I just don't want to be off topic.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 09:18 AM   #5
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

And?

Old 9th August 2018, 09:29 AM   #6
Thermal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post

Seconded. What are we discussing here?
Old 9th August 2018, 09:41 AM   #7
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Seconded. What are we discussing here?
Poor choice of thread title.

How about this?

Gangs take over Chicago! Police Cower in Fear!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 09:44 AM   #8
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

It is a walking home from a date while white thread, silly.

I suppose it could be a Chicago crime is out of control thread.

/curious that all the other blank while blank threads don't cause the members to be virtually paralyzed with confusion. Curious indeed.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:47 AM   #9
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Poor choice of thread title.

How about this?

Not sure where the police cower in fear came from.

Mostly the residents.

Like this couple that were strong armed robbed and pistol whipped.

is the video not working?
Old 9th August 2018, 09:48 AM   #10
phunk
Illuminator

It is a walking home from a date while white thread, silly.

I suppose it could be a Chicago crime is out of control thread.

/curious that all the other blank while blank threads don't cause the members to be virtually paralyzed with confusion. Curious indeed.
The other "X while Y" threads are about people being attacked because they're "Y". Can you show racial motivation for this robbery?
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 09:50 AM   #11
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
The other "X while Y" threads are about people being attacked because they're "Y". Can you show racial motivation for this robbery?
"Attacked." I took a gander at those other threads, and using the word 'attacked" is a wee bit strong, no?

These people were attacked and one was pistol whipped.
Old 9th August 2018, 09:51 AM   #12
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Mostly the residents.

Like this couple that were strong armed robbed and pistol whipped.

is the video not working?
Ah, I see. The police are leaving the neighborhood to attend to other more needy neighborhoods?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 09:55 AM   #13
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Ah, I see. The police are leaving the neighborhood to attend to other more needy neighborhoods?
"more needy"? Looks a bit like this neighborhood is pretty needy no? And now the cops needed there will be pulled from there.

/by the way, my good friends used to own the building shown in the part of the video where the scumbags are hiding in the alley
Old 9th August 2018, 09:59 AM   #14
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Pulling them from here too:

http://www.cwbchicago.com/2018/08/tw...orth-side.html

Good topic, Chicago pulling cops from other neighborhoods to deal with out of control gang war made worse because victims and witnesses won't cooperate.
Old 9th August 2018, 10:05 AM   #15
phunk
Illuminator

"Attacked." I took a gander at those other threads, and using the word 'attacked" is a wee bit strong, no?

No, I don't think it's a wee bit strong. Lots of things other than physical violence can be considered attacks.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 10:10 AM   #16
Arcade22
Illuminator

Because they were white?
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 10:10 AM   #17
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
No, I don't think it's a wee bit strong. Lots of things other than physical violence can be considered attacks.
Sure thing. Lets start a chart: the attacked chart!

Lets say 1 is having someone call the cops on you and because you are trespassing and they erroneously think you are black.

100 is getting pistol whipped on the street.
Old 9th August 2018, 10:11 AM   #18
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Good topic, Chicago pulling cops from other neighborhoods to deal with out of control gang war made worse because victims and witnesses won't cooperate.
So, is that the topic of the thread, then?

He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 10:14 AM   #19
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

So, is that the topic of the thread, then?
I just create them, I ain't gonna claim to be the thread police.

If y'all want to critique the pistol whipping style of the folks in the video, that seems like fair game.
Old 9th August 2018, 10:22 AM   #20
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I just create them, I ain't gonna claim to be the thread police.

If y'all want to critique the pistol whipping style of the folks in the video, that seems like fair game.
It just seems that most threads make it pretty obvious what the topic is. Not all, certainly. Here, you seem to be resistant to clarifying what you would like to discuss about the video.

Do you want to discuss whether they were attacked because of their race?

Do you want to discuss whether they were attacked because the police are focused elsewhere?

Do you want to discuss whether there should be better gun control in the state so local controls aren't so easy to get around?

Do you want to discuss whether pistols should be outlawed?

Do you want to discuss employment options outside of the Chicago area?

Do you want to discuss how much this video will decrease the value of your friend's real estate investments?

Old 9th August 2018, 10:34 AM   #21
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

It just seems that most threads make it pretty obvious what the topic is. Not all, certainly. Here, you seem to be resistant to clarifying what you would like to discuss about the video.

Do you want to discuss whether they were attacked because of their race?

Do you want to discuss whether they were attacked because the police are focused elsewhere?

Do you want to discuss whether there should be better gun control in the state so local controls aren't so easy to get around?

Do you want to discuss whether pistols should be outlawed?

Do you want to discuss employment options outside of the Chicago area?

Do you want to discuss how much this video will decrease the value of your friend's real estate investments?
well I was hoping we could discuss the video in the OP. seems pretty straightforward. The article also mentions the community's concerns about crime;

Quote:
"Citizens need to ask 'Why? What's causing all this? Why do the criminals feel like they can get away with this?' It's almost like a kid who goes unpunished," said Gene Pierson, Bucktown Neighborhood Watch.

Pierson said the solution is not more police but tougher penalties for criminals.

"We can't have a police officer on every corner, in every alley. A message needs to be sent these criminals that you're going to be prosecuted and we're going to prosecute you to the fullest extent possible," he said.
We can also talk about this real attack compared to the wildly hysterical overreactions in other cases.

Read the article and lets us know your thoughts and we will go from there.
Old 9th August 2018, 10:35 AM   #22
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

well I was hoping we could discuss the video in the OP. seems pretty straightforward. The article also mentions the community's concerns about crime;

We can also talk about this real attack compared to the wildly hysterical overreactions in other cases.

Read the article and lets us know your thoughts and we will go from there.
Crime like this is horrible. I hope the attacker is apprehended and prosecuted.

I expect few will disagree.

Interesting topic.

Old 9th August 2018, 10:37 AM   #23
Elagabalus
Master Poster

Thread titles are very important. You want to "catch" the reader's eyes with your clever turn of phrase.

From your link:

Man who jumped out of freezer and died was cold-case suspect

https://abc7chicago.com/man-who-jump...spect/3896174/

With a title like that, I just HAD to click on it!
Old 9th August 2018, 10:44 AM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Did the robbers use the H word when they robbed the white couple?
Old 9th August 2018, 11:03 AM   #25
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Well, I for one would like to demand that police immediately investigate this crime!

Quote:
While the video does not show the robbery itself, a police department spokesperson said investigators are reviewing the video to definitively link it to the robbery.

.... Area North detectives were investigating.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/08...hows-suspects/

Goddamn it, seems I wasted today's allotment of outrage!

Old 9th August 2018, 11:07 AM   #26
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Did the robbers use the H word when they robbed the white couple?
I will try to make a special trip to The Charleston tonight to get the inside scoop.

Old 9th August 2018, 11:11 AM   #27
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I will try to make a special trip to The Charleston tonight to get the inside scoop.

Dude, be careful. I really don't want to see you in some grainy security video on the news.

Old 9th August 2018, 11:12 AM   #28
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

One was hoping you would at suggest what interested you in the story, you know so we could perhaps discuss it?
Old 9th August 2018, 11:22 AM   #29
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

One was hoping you would at suggest what interested you in the story, you know so we could perhaps discuss it?
well what really interested me was that I used to hang out in that building shown in the video all the time, but I don't think people really wanted to discuss that.

It also got me to thinking about the hysterical overreactions where community members got their feels hurt.

and it got me thinking that they are going to be pulling the 5-0 out of that neighborhood.

Lots of thinks
Old 9th August 2018, 11:28 AM   #30
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

well what really interested me was that I used to hang out in that building shown in the video all the time, but I don't think people really wanted to discuss that.
That sounds refreshing. I'd love to discuss that.

Quote:
It also got me to thinking about the hysterical overreactions where community members got their feels hurt.
I'm not sure why a video of someone getting mugged would make you think about that. I'm a bit uneasy discussing that, but others may have an interest.

Quote:
and it got me thinking that they are going to be pulling the 5-0 out of that neighborhood.
That does seem like a thing that needs discussing. How you suggest they deal with the spike of crime in other areas without abandoning the rest of the city?

Quote:
Lots of thinks
We may even get a discussion started before page two. <<fingers crossed>>

Old 9th August 2018, 11:33 AM   #31
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed

well I was hoping we could discuss the video in the OP. seems pretty straightforward.
Okay.

I'm against people getting robbed and pistol-whipped. Regardless of ethnicity.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:35 AM   #32
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Okay.

I'm against people getting robbed and pistol-whipped. Regardless of ethnicity.
Even if it is our police doing it? Then it is good right?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:42 AM   #33
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Even if it is our police doing it? Then it is good right?
Now that is an interesting related point!

We have been getting videos of the Chicago gangbangers and their guns going pop pop pop, and the people in the hiphop and hiphop adjacent community are suggesting that the ones doing it are the Police!

Not kidding.

You show this video to a certain segment of the community, and they are going to tell you the divvy guy is working for the MAN.

interesting
Old 9th August 2018, 12:07 PM   #34
Tony99
Muse

With all the guns, gangs and crime in Chicago seems moving away would be a sensible and reasonable thing to do.
Tony99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 12:28 PM   #35
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Tony99 View Post
With all the guns, gangs and crime in Chicago seems moving away would be a sensible and reasonable thing to do.
Yeah, but I bet he rarely has to deal with an unwashed hippy in hemp rags and berkenstocks reeking of pachouli and pot vaping outside the grocery store.

So maybe the shootings aren't that bad.

(I may be moving down to your area and the last thing I need is to compete with more Chicago buyers in your real estate market.)

Old 9th August 2018, 12:31 PM   #36
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, but I bet he rarely has to deal with an unwashed hippy in hemp rags and berkenstocks reeking of pachouli and pot vaping outside the grocery store.

So maybe the shootings aren't that bad.

(I may be moving down to your area and the last thing I need is to compete with more Chicago buyers in your real estate market.)
Lollpalooza was last week
Old 9th August 2018, 12:38 PM   #37
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Lollpalooza was last week
Damn, you have to put up with the gang bangers and the hippies.

Well, at least the weather is mild.

Old 9th August 2018, 12:54 PM   #38
Venom
Graduate Poster

East Chicago is a violent city. What's new?

Last edited by Venom; 9th August 2018 at 12:55 PM.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 01:11 PM   #39
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

"more needy"? Looks a bit like this neighborhood is pretty needy no? And now the cops needed there will be pulled from there.

Are the police afraid and running away or are they concentrating on higher areas of violence?
Old 9th August 2018, 01:14 PM   #40
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
East Chicago is a violent city. What's new?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events