ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 9th August 2018, 04:23 PM   #1
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Right Wing Rally In DC Aug 11th Weekend:Charollteville Part 2.

'Unite The Right" the same bunch of Neo Nazi losers responsible for Charolltesville last year is holding a rally in DC this weekend (Aug 11).
A lot of hand wringing by media commentators about whether or not the news media should cover it or not. IMHO the news media will not be able to resist covering it. Outrageous behavior naturally draws cameras.
I have no idea as to whether counter demonstrations are planned;I can't believe they are not going to take place.
SO get set for more fun this weekend. I be the DC police are not looking forward to this weekend.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 04:38 PM   #2
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
I just checked,and the counter protestors will be out in force.
tThis is going to be fun......
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,101
MAGA! Make Aryans Great Again!!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 05:24 PM   #4
chrispy
Muse
 
chrispy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mexico/Guatemala
Posts: 517
Will trump be attending as guest of honor?
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 05:30 PM   #5
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,101
Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Will trump be attending as guest of honor?
He'll be providing the MAGA hats.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 05:32 PM   #6
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
What is funny is that somebody as obsessed with "Winning" as Trumpy is supports what can only be described as a bunch of total losers.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 05:41 PM   #7
BrooklynBaby
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 765
So, which Democrats are funding this one?
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 05:44 PM   #8
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
So, which Democrats are funding this one?
And your proof that Unite The Right is funded by the Democrats?

I am not holding my breath.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 06:45 PM   #9
The Big Dog
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Big Dog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 26,789
Damn First Amendment!

Grrr!

People exercising their First Amendment rights make me so mad!

Grrr!

Great thread!
__________________
CCP human rights abuse deniers are the fundamental equivalent of holocaust deniers.
The Big Dog is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 06:52 PM   #10
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 18,790
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Damn First Amendment!

Grrr!

People exercising their First Amendment rights make me so mad!

Grrr!

Great thread!
Sure, people are upset at the fact they are speaking their mind. Right...
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:16 PM   #11
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 17,058
I'll be skipping brunch at Old Ebitt Grill this weekend.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:28 PM   #12
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 38,949
I guess we have too many mooslims over here. I can't access their website because they've blocked Thailand.

I can see from the header info, though, that they're starting out from the Vienna Metro station, quite some distance from the strip in downtown DC they're heading for. Surely they're not "marching" the 30 km to Lafayette Square? Do they have buses? 'Cuz I'm equally sure(ly) that they're not taking the Metro to downtown DC. This ain't the heart of the Confederacy, and somehow "Nazis on the DC Metro" in an overwhelmingly liberal and majority black population sounds like an invitation to a good old-fashioned butt-whipping? I don't see that happening either.
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:37 PM   #13
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,225
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
'Unite The Right" the same bunch of Neo Nazi losers responsible for Charolltesville last year is holding a rally in DC this weekend (Aug 11).
A lot of hand wringing by media commentators about whether or not the news media should cover it or not. IMHO the news media will not be able to resist covering it. Outrageous behavior naturally draws cameras.
I have no idea as to whether counter demonstrations are planned;I can't believe they are not going to take place.
SO get set for more fun this weekend. I be the DC police are not looking forward to this weekend.
DC police have already announced (really, reiterated I think - I don't own a gun at all so I don't follow the details of any of them) a blanket gun ban for the area - in addition to all the usual bans and rules that go along with any DC march or protest. The mayor also heightented emergency levels, so they're ready to work with nearby state and federal authorities.

The Metro (the local subway system) reportedly considered dedicating particular trains for the MAGAts, but the largely black union workers forcefully rejected the idea, so that's out.

AirBnB has announced that they'll ban anyone participating, and Uber drivers are already free to refuse to carry participants.

Counterprotests include various local chapters of Antifa, the United Methodist Church, Black Lives Matter, and the Democratic Socialists.

Oh, and there was apparently a racial attack a few days ago, so add that in to help make people more belligerent in general.

The DC police are key here. While again, Charlottesville just had no apparent idea how to handle matters (and groups like the ACLU, sadly, also ignored the open plans for violence), DC has protests, rallies, and marches all the time. Police are expecting a few hundred protestors, and a few thousand counterprotestors.

Last edited by Mumbles; 9th August 2018 at 11:39 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2018, 11:39 PM   #14
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 17,058
Last I read, the plan was for the Nazis and Trump supporters to board a special train at the Vienna Fairfax stop so decent people wouldn't have their cars infested by them. That fell apart when the the Transit Union said it would not move the train. They may get a manager to operate the train. Of course now that everyone knows the stop is Vienna Fairfax it wouldn't be hard to shut that stop down.

ETA, This isn't Charlottesville, the police here do this all the time.

Last edited by Craig4; 9th August 2018 at 11:44 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 12:20 AM   #15
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 5,101
Laura Ingraham of FOX didn't even bother to hide her racism in her show today. Referring to Democrat Ocasio-Cortez, Ingraham said:

Quote:
Nevertheless, she’s kind of right, in a general sense," Ingraham added, after she finished mocking Ocasio-Cortez. "Because, in some parts of the country, it does seem like the America that we know and love doesn’t exist anymore. Massive demographic changes have been foisted on the American people, and they're changes that none of us ever voted for and most of us don't like. From Virginia to California, we see stark examples of how radically in some ways the country has changed. Now much of this is related to both illegal, and in some cases, legal immigration that, of course, progressives love."
https://www.salon.com/2018/08/09/lau...aphic-changes/

Which demographics don't she and "most of us" like? Certainly not those people from "sh**hole countries" like Haiti? Or those "rapists and murderer" from Mexico. Surely she's talking about those white, European Christians from Norway or Trump's wife and in-laws who are from Slovenia, right? Right?

She is now trying to walk her racist comments back by doing the Trump Shuffle. She's claiming she was misunderstood after her comments were embraced by David Duke, the head of the KKK. Poor Laura. So misunderstood.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 12:38 AM   #16
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator
 
Foolmewunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pattaya, Thailand
Posts: 38,949
Wrong thread?
__________________
Ha! Foolmewunz has just been added to the list of people who aren't complete idiots. Hokulele

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 01:10 AM   #17
Worm
Master Poster
 
Worm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,242
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Damn First Amendment!

Grrr!

People exercising their First Amendment rights make me so mad!

Grrr!

Great thread!
Did you see anyone suggesting that they shouldn't be able to have their demonstration? Or show anger in any way? I certainly didn't. The OP was about possible media coverage - which I agree, given the Charlottesville experience, unfortunately seems almost inevitable. Their right to demonstrate is just as important as everyone else's right to call them bigoted fools, and stand in opposition.
__________________
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" Isaac Asimov

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 05:17 AM   #18
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26,602
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Last I read, the plan was for the Nazis and Trump supporters to board a special train at the Vienna Fairfax stop so decent people wouldn't have their cars infested by them. That fell apart when the the Transit Union said it would not move the train.


Am I the only one who thinks the train guys missed a great opportunity here?

Get a train load of Nazis on board, get up to speed, and then have a "technical malfunction" that makes it so you can't stop, and then just drive them around all day. Eventually you manage to stop at the most out-of-the-way stop possible, and you can't take them back to their original stop because of the obviously unsafe train.

Bonus points if the last stop can be made to look like the entrance to Dachau.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 05:32 AM   #19
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing
 
Bikewer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: St. Louis, Mo.
Posts: 12,311
Bikewer has a birthday
NPR’s “1A” show devoted an hour to this yesterday, including coverage from Charlottesville. There is heavy police presence there, even though no actual demonstrations are planned.

One of the folks they interviewed complained both about the lack of police action last year, and the “over militarization” of the police presence this year...

The DC thing could well be explosive.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 05:34 AM   #20
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 18,573
Charlottesville
Charlottesville
Charlottesville

Just in case somebody is searching for this thread by keyword...
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 07:32 AM   #21
The_Animus
Master Poster
 
The_Animus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,892
I heard a different interview this morning on my way to work where a woman from NPR interviewed the organizer of the event. Except she didn't actually listen to what he said and just gave canned responses that made her look foolish.

In the future they need to send someone who is better at debating
__________________
Straw Man, Ad Hominem, Moving the Goalposts, and a massive post count are all good indicators that a poster is intellectually dishonest and not interested in real discussion.

Feeding trolls only makes them stronger, yet it is so hard to refrain.
The_Animus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 07:46 AM   #22
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,066
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Damn First Amendment!

Grrr!

People exercising their First Amendment rights make me so mad!

Grrr!

Great thread!
Excuse me, but you are wrong again since no one is actually trying to stop these Bozo's from exercising their Constitutional right to protest.

However, considering the last time these Bozos got together it resulted in the murder of one person and the attempted murder of several other people, therefore people are justly concerned about the violence these Bozos create and the president who supports them.
__________________
On 28 JUN 2018 'yuno44907' said: "I am god and you have to help me."
On 03 JUL 2018 'yuno44907' got banned from the Forum.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 07:54 AM   #23
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,225
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Charlottesville
Charlottesville
Charlottesville

Just in case somebody is searching for this thread by keyword...
Or in case Charlottesville is like Candyman or Beetlejuice

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
NPR’s “1A” show devoted an hour to this yesterday, including coverage from Charlottesville. There is heavy police presence there, even though no actual demonstrations are planned.

One of the folks they interviewed complained both about the lack of police action last year, and the “over militarization” of the police presence this year...

The DC thing could well be explosive.
Can't really blame Virginia and Charlottesville this year, since last time they dropped the ball hard, and some pack or other may try to cause mayhem again - they did apply for a permit again (and were denied).

DC's big problem will be arresting only actual violent people, as we've seen from the "J20" protests where entire groups were kettled in and arrested due to a handful of idiots who had broken windows beforehand. Those charges eventually collapsed after prosecutors had pretty much humiliated themselves repeatedly in court, relying on James O'Keefe-style deceptively edited footage, failing to disclose evidence, and generally failing at a basic level.

Basically, pretty much everyone (Portland, you're the major exception!) knows how to deal with these freaks, and DC has enough guys to hopefully keep the black bloc fools under control - particularly since nobody else cares for the DC chapters either.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 08:51 AM   #24
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 29,648
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Excuse me, but you are wrong again since no one is actually trying to stop these Bozo's from exercising their Constitutional right to protest.

However, considering the last time these Bozos got together it resulted in the murder of one person and the attempted murder of several other people, therefore people are justly concerned about the violence these Bozos create and the president who supports them.
I would think the best way to avoid the Bozo's would be to not attend their circus when it comes to town.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 08:51 AM   #25
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing
 
Trebuchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Great Northwet
Posts: 18,496
Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I guess we have too many mooslims over here. I can't access their website because they've blocked Thailand.

I can see from the header info, though, that they're starting out from the Vienna Metro station, quite some distance from the strip in downtown DC they're heading for. Surely they're not "marching" the 30 km to Lafayette Square? Do they have buses? 'Cuz I'm equally sure(ly) that they're not taking the Metro to downtown DC. This ain't the heart of the Confederacy, and somehow "Nazis on the DC Metro" in an overwhelmingly liberal and majority black population sounds like an invitation to a good old-fashioned butt-whipping? I don't see that happening either.
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Basically, pretty much everyone (Portland, you're the major exception!) knows how to deal with these freaks....
Speaking of Portland, obviously all the DC organizers need to do is tell everyone to park at Kroger and provide three very small buses.
__________________
Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 08:55 AM   #26
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian
 
LSSBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: An elusive house at Bachelors Grove Cemetery
Posts: 18,790
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I would think the best way to avoid the Bozo's would be to not attend their circus when it comes to town.
I don't think that just because the counter-protesters are justifiably afraid would be sufficient reason for them to back down if they feel they are right. The civil rights marchers of the 60s were also well aware of the danger.
__________________
"You must not let your need to be right be more important than your need to find out what's true." - Ray Dalio, Principles
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 09:44 AM   #27
Sabrina
Wicked Lovely
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,810
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the train guys missed a great opportunity here?

Get a train load of Nazis on board, get up to speed, and then have a "technical malfunction" that makes it so you can't stop, and then just drive them around all day. Eventually you manage to stop at the most out-of-the-way stop possible, and you can't take them back to their original stop because of the obviously unsafe train.

Bonus points if the last stop can be made to look like the entrance to Dachau.
The problem with this idea is that the Orange line (which is the one with the Vienna stop) basically just cuts straight across DC and ends up in Maryland at New Carrollton. And that area of town is predominantly African American. Pissed off though the Metro may be at these jerks, I rather doubt that they'd be comfortable with the idea of dropping them off in an area where their lives would be in danger simply due to the beliefs they hold.

Now if you had them on the Red line and took them from Glenmont to Shady Grove, you'd have a decent shot at screwing up their plans, and all without the likelihood of bloodshed.

Sabrina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 10:05 AM   #28
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 16,931
Seeing as how the DC police should be old hats at this stuff, I suppose the over under on number of deaths would sit pretty close to zero. Maybe we could boost it to one just to get some action.

What about the over/under for number of arrests? 25?
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 10:47 AM   #29
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,066
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I would think the best way to avoid the Bozo's would be to not attend their circus when it comes to town.
I am sorry, but I have to disagree.

I think that it is far better to confront the Bozos through mass positive action instead of letting them present their wacky ideas uncontested because it serves to show the Bozos who is really in charge and it serves the public to learn just how isolated the Bozos are.
__________________
On 28 JUN 2018 'yuno44907' said: "I am god and you have to help me."
On 03 JUL 2018 'yuno44907' got banned from the Forum.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 10:55 AM   #30
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Excuse me, but you are wrong again since no one is actually trying to stop these Bozo's from exercising their Constitutional right to protest.

However, considering the last time these Bozos got together it resulted in the murder of one person and the attempted murder of several other people, therefore people are justly concerned about the violence these Bozos create and the president who supports them.
Interesting that our #1 Trump supporter seems so supportive of a bunch of Neo Nazis, though.
FO course they have a right to march and do their lame Nuremberg Rally imitations. And counterdemonstrators have a prefect right to tell the Sieg Heil gang they are scum.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 11:03 AM   #31
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Or in case Charlottesville is like Candyman or Beetlejuice



Can't really blame Virginia and Charlottesville this year, since last time they dropped the ball hard, and some pack or other may try to cause mayhem again - they did apply for a permit again (and were denied).

DC's big problem will be arresting only actual violent people, as we've seen from the "J20" protests where entire groups were kettled in and arrested due to a handful of idiots who had broken windows beforehand. Those charges eventually collapsed after prosecutors had pretty much humiliated themselves repeatedly in court, relying on James O'Keefe-style deceptively edited footage, failing to disclose evidence, and generally failing at a basic level.

Basically, pretty much everyone (Portland, you're the major exception!) knows how to deal with these freaks, and DC has enough guys to hopefully keep the black bloc fools under control - particularly since nobody else cares for the DC chapters either.
The problem with Antififa is they are still in the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" stage,and allow a lot of people in their coalition they shoud not.
I got a good look at the Black Bloc in action in Berkeley last year,and IMHO they are nothing but a bunch of hoods who use a legititmate protest as an excuse for their antics. Please explain how looting a Burrito Joint is giving a bad time to the Neo Nazis.
They and the Neo Nazis deserve each other. frankly.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 11:07 AM   #32
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I am sorry, but I have to disagree.

I think that it is far better to confront the Bozos through mass positive action instead of letting them present their wacky ideas uncontested because it serves to show the Bozos who is really in charge and it serves the public to learn just how isolated the Bozos are.
But what happens when the Mass Positive Action turns violent?
As I saw happen in Berkeley last year. I don't trust some elements of the Antifaf movement very much.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 11:08 AM   #33
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the train guys missed a great opportunity here?

Get a train load of Nazis on board, get up to speed, and then have a "technical malfunction" that makes it so you can't stop, and then just drive them around all day. Eventually you manage to stop at the most out-of-the-way stop possible, and you can't take them back to their original stop because of the obviously unsafe train.

Bonus points if the last stop can be made to look like the entrance to Dachau.
Easy. See if they can borrow the gates of Dachau mock up they have at the National Holocuast museum in DC....
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 11:52 AM   #34
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 17,058
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the train guys missed a great opportunity here?

Get a train load of Nazis on board, get up to speed, and then have a "technical malfunction" that makes it so you can't stop, and then just drive them around all day. Eventually you manage to stop at the most out-of-the-way stop possible, and you can't take them back to their original stop because of the obviously unsafe train.

Bonus points if the last stop can be made to look like the entrance to Dachau.
All the train driver would have to do is keep them on the train until it hits Eastern Market. That's a pretty rough neighborhood in SE DC.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 12:16 PM   #35
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 26,602
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Easy. See if they can borrow the gates of Dachau mock up they have at the National Holocuast museum in DC....


Oh, nice. I suppose it's too much to hope there's a stop right in front of this museum? Because that would be great!
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 12:56 PM   #36
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Oh, nice. I suppose it's too much to hope there's a stop right in front of this museum? Because that would be great!
Sorry, no luck. Nearest Metro station is a couple of blocks from the National Holocaust Museum .
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 12:58 PM   #37
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
All the train driver would have to do is keep them on the train until it hits Eastern Market. That's a pretty rough neighborhood in SE DC.
Oh, the Anacosta district would love them....
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 01:18 PM   #38
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly
 
The Norseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,971
Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
I am sorry, but I have to disagree.

I think that it is far better to confront the Bozos through mass positive action instead of letting them present their wacky ideas uncontested because it serves to show the Bozos who is really in charge and it serves the public to learn just how isolated the Bozos are.
Isolated? The only reason they're getting even more agitated and doing even more protests is because they think that Rump is on their side and he's done nothing to dissuade anyone of that fact either.

The government and a whole slew of people getting appointed are racists and other bigots who act like they're just like them; even if they're not, they still all use the same rhetoric and they still are attempting to give more rights to Christians and are still taking more away from protections already won and other related things.

They are far from isolated. They're ecstatic because they think they've now got a chance to push their racist agendas for realz.



Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
But what happens when the Mass Positive Action turns violent?
As I saw happen in Berkeley last year. I don't trust some elements of the Antifaf movement very much.
Why? What's wrong with using violence in this specific and targeted action?

Let's see if the difference can be discerned:

Fascists will go away when POC go away. POC have no choice in the matter of being their color; same with sexual orientation and birth sex; same with disabled persons; and so on.

Versus:

Anti-fascists will go away when fascists go away. Fascists are by choice. They choose to persecute others; they choose to act violently against those others; they choose to preach death to many or forced migration and many more abhorrent ideals.

Which is more feasible?


If fascists do not wish to be subject to violence, they can simply choose to stop preaching their horrible ******** and antifa will go away.

There are few things in the world which do not deserve equal platforms, equal airtime, equal voice. Fascism is one of these things. There is not one redeeming thing about fascism that should be listened to nor encouraged to be spoken and spread.

We've spent years and millions of lives in truly understanding how harmful fascism is. Why are most people willing to stand idly by and pretend helplessness in shutting down this despicable rally?

Is it because people are so naïve as to think that "it can't happen here" or what? We as a society can certainly afford to hear and give attention to most things but we cannot ever afford to give any attention or any kind of platform to fascism and people who espouse fascism.

Last edited by The Norseman; 10th August 2018 at 01:21 PM.
The Norseman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 01:44 PM   #39
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 17,058
It would be cool if someone could flood the vendors around The Mall with made in China MAGA hats.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2018, 01:49 PM   #40
dudalb
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 41,025
Originally Posted by The Norseman View Post
Isolated? The only reason they're getting even more agitated and doing even more protests is because they think that Rump is on their side and he's done nothing to dissuade anyone of that fact either.

The government and a whole slew of people getting appointed are racists and other bigots who act like they're just like them; even if they're not, they still all use the same rhetoric and they still are attempting to give more rights to Christians and are still taking more away from protections already won and other related things.

They are far from isolated. They're ecstatic because they think they've now got a chance to push their racist agendas for realz.




Why? What's wrong with using violence in this specific and targeted action?

Let's see if the difference can be discerned:

Fascists will go away when POC go away. POC have no choice in the matter of being their color; same with sexual orientation and birth sex; same with disabled persons; and so on.

Versus:

Anti-fascists will go away when fascists go away. Fascists are by choice. They choose to persecute others; they choose to act violently against those others; they choose to preach death to many or forced migration and many more abhorrent ideals.

Which is more feasible?


If fascists do not wish to be subject to violence, they can simply choose to stop preaching their horrible ******** and antifa will go away.

There are few things in the world which do not deserve equal platforms, equal airtime, equal voice. Fascism is one of these things. There is not one redeeming thing about fascism that should be listened to nor encouraged to be spoken and spread.

We've spent years and millions of lives in truly understanding how harmful fascism is. Why are most people willing to stand idly by and pretend helplessness in shutting down this despicable rally?

Is it because people are so naïve as to think that "it can't happen here" or what? We as a society can certainly afford to hear and give attention to most things but we cannot ever afford to give any attention or any kind of platform to fascism and people who espouse fascism.
Problem is a lot of the violence that the Black BLoc...the anarchist wing of Antifa...commits is not targated at all. Please explain why looting stores is somehow "fighting Fascism:.
There is also the idea that once you start political violence it's hard to stop.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.