IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 27th February 2021, 08:20 AM   #3081
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I think they really thought they were the in crowd, with special privilege and that their leader would affirm it. The political philosophy of their leaders is a mishmash of Pealing platitudes, comic book vigilantism, Randian exceptionalism and decaffeinated Thoreau, culminating in what the author Frank Wilhoit characterizes as the single tenet of conservatism: that "there must be an in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, and out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 08:24 AM   #3082
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Too late
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 09:24 AM   #3083
Mumbles
Philosopher

They expected to be rewarded when they had reinstated Trump, so they wanted to make it easy for the New Republican Order to identify the people who deserved medals and invitations to his inauguration.
The simpler explanation is that most of them...just aren't that bright. Fools have been posting their own crime photos since at least back when Tom was everyone's friend - the cops routinely mocked them for snitching on themselves during press conferences.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 10:57 AM   #3084
Distracted1
Philosopher

They expected to be rewarded when they had reinstated Trump, so they wanted to make it easy for the New Republican Order to identify the people who deserved medals and invitations to his inauguration.
https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

Teri Gross recently broadcast an interview on NPR with a photographer "embedded" with the rioters.
Worth a listen, some interesting takes from the journalist- many not at all what one might expect.

ETA The show from Feb. 25
Old 27th February 2021, 12:19 PM   #3085
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/

Teri Gross recently broadcast an interview on NPR with a photographer "embedded" with the rioters.
Worth a listen, some interesting takes from the journalist- many not at all what one might expect.

ETA The show from Feb. 25
This one: https://www.wrvo.org/post/reporters-...lence#stream/0

Actual video here: https://www.newyorker.com/news/video...-capitol-siege (I know it may have been previously posted but . . . . )
Old 27th February 2021, 05:51 PM   #3086
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I think they really thought they were the in crowd, with special privilege and that their leader would affirm it. The political philosophy of their leaders is a mishmash of Pealing platitudes, comic book vigilantism, Randian exceptionalism and decaffeinated Thoreau, culminating in what the author Frank Wilhoit characterizes as the single tenet of conservatism: that "there must be an in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, and out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect."
Although it's a common reference, I think most of today's "conservatives" are not, in fact, conservatives but hide behind that respectable label. Trump was/is no conservative. I'd guess damn few of the CPAC attendees are really conservative. In this, I think of conservatives as believing in fiscal restraint, personal responsibility, a cautious foreign policy, etc.

In contrast, most outspoken GOPers are gung-ho on military might expressed around the world bolstered by a seemingly unlimited budget, federalism only to the extent the states restrict abortion as much as possible and restrict guns as little as possible.

I suppose Mitt Romney is the closest Republican who stands by conservative values and he's persona non grata to Republicans from top leaders down to the mouth-breathers.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 06:32 PM   #3087
Mumbles
Philosopher

Been telling y'all for years: "Limited government" and "police can kill people on sight, based on their skin color" are entirely incompatible. The GOP is very specifically "limited government" for straight white christian men, especially wealthy ones.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 06:52 PM   #3088
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Although it's a common reference, I think most of today's "conservatives" are not, in fact, conservatives but hide behind that respectable label. Trump was/is no conservative. I'd guess damn few of the CPAC attendees are really conservative. In this, I think of conservatives as believing in fiscal restraint, personal responsibility, a cautious foreign policy, etc.

In contrast, most outspoken GOPers are gung-ho on military might expressed around the world bolstered by a seemingly unlimited budget, federalism only to the extent the states restrict abortion as much as possible and restrict guns as little as possible.

I suppose Mitt Romney is the closest Republican who stands by conservative values and he's persona non grata to Republicans from top leaders down to the mouth-breathers.
I would agree, and would have used a different term, but I was quoting. I think the persons passing
themselves off as conservative are radical reactionaries.

e.t.a. I also agree with Mumbles. The supposed advocates of limited government do not want limited government at all. Their idea of "limited" government is that of dictators: Limited not in power but in complexity and cost.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 27th February 2021 at 06:57 PM.
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2021, 07:18 PM   #3089
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

The so called "conservative" ideology has been spoiled almost from day one. This dates me, but whatever. The first politician who ran on this idea of limited government and truly embraced the "conservative" label was Barry Goldwater. Goldwater was hawkish and against almost all social programs. But wouldn't give a damn if you were atheist or gay or a minority. That was the individual's choice. A true conservative right up until 1980 would be pro-choice, have no problem with civil or gay rights.

It was Reagan's alliance with the Christian right in 1980 that changed that. But Reagan himself didn't care or even like the alliance.

Today conservatism is really some bizarre Christian nationalism. More akin to NAZIsm than it is true conservativism.
Old 1st March 2021, 05:25 AM   #3090
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
ederal investigators probing the death of a U.S. Capitol Police officer killed in the Jan. 6 riot have zeroed in on a suspect seen on video appearing to spray a chemical substance on the officer before he later collapsed and died, two people familiar with the matter told The Associated Press.

The FBI has obtained video that shows the person spraying Brian Sicknick and other law enforcement officers during the Jan. 6 riot, the people said. But they cautioned that federal agents haven’t yet identified the suspect by name and the act hasn’t been directly tied to Sicknick’s death.
https://apnews.com/article/capitol-s...9bcf8db70a4c3f

Seems tenuous, but it'll be extremely funny if some CHUD catches a murder charge for spraying a cop with a less-lethal weapon. Imagine getting a life sentence for accidentally killing a cop with bear spray while your fellow CHUDs are getting lesser charges for beating them with flagpoles and fire extinguishers.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 1st March 2021 at 05:27 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2021, 05:40 AM   #3091
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The so called "conservative" ideology has been spoiled almost from day one. This dates me, but whatever. The first politician who ran on this idea of limited government and truly embraced the "conservative" label was Barry Goldwater. Goldwater was hawkish and against almost all social programs. But wouldn't give a damn if you were atheist or gay or a minority. That was the individual's choice. A true conservative right up until 1980 would be pro-choice, have no problem with civil or gay rights.

It was Reagan's alliance with the Christian right in 1980 that changed that. But Reagan himself didn't care or even like the alliance.

Today conservatism is really some bizarre Christian nationalism. More akin to NAZIsm than it is true conservativism.

Quote:
Reelected in 1958, Goldwater opposed social welfare programs and continued to criticize the Supreme Court on its school integration stance. He voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964. King said of Goldwater’s voting record, “While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulates a philosophy which gives aid and comfort to the racists.” (King, 16 July 1964).
Goldwater, Barry M. (Stanford University, The Martin Luther King, Jr. Research and Education Institute)

That seems to encapsulate the difference between conservatives and Nazis.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:00 PM   #3092
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Congress cancels Thursday sessions for fear of new attack on the Capitol. After all, it's supposed to be the day of Trump's inaugural.
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/03/97331...ck-on-congress
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2021, 11:01 PM   #3093
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Congress cancels Thursday sessions for fear of new attack on the Capitol. After all, it's supposed to be the day of Trump's inaugural.
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/03/97331...ck-on-congress
what more proof do you need?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 01:42 AM   #3094
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
https://apnews.com/article/capitol-s...9bcf8db70a4c3f

Seems tenuous, but it'll be extremely funny if some CHUD catches a murder charge for spraying a cop with a less-lethal weapon. Imagine getting a life sentence for accidentally killing a cop with bear spray while your fellow CHUDs are getting lesser charges for beating them with flagpoles and fire extinguishers.
If/when they find him I'm sure they can prosecute for the bear spray incident. More than that will really depend on the autopsy.

But if you shove someone down and they die from a brain injury, it doesn't matter that a thousand people before you pushed a person down and the person didn't die.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th March 2021 at 01:43 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 05:11 AM   #3095
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
If/when they find him I'm sure they can prosecute for the bear spray incident. More than that will really depend on the autopsy.

But if you shove someone down and they die from a brain injury, it doesn't matter that a thousand people before you pushed a person down and the person didn't die.
Seems like a real longshot, but if this is what happens, it's like a real life example of someone rolling a critical failure in D&D.
Old 4th March 2021, 06:10 AM   #3096
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
U.S. suspends federal agent who joined crowd outside Capitol during rampage, lawyer says

One of Ibrahim’s lawyers, Gretchen Gaspari, said DEA officials told Ibrahim that they were putting him on leave and suspending his security clearance “because of his presence on Jan. 6.”

She said Ibrahim, who was off duty but carrying his service weapon at the time, was part of the crowd outside the Capitol as Trump supporters stormed the building in a bid to stop Congress from certifying Democrat Joe Biden’s presidential election victory.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...KCN2AV2XC?il=0

First fed implicated.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 4th March 2021 at 06:13 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 09:34 AM   #3097
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

My boy straight-up not having a good time. You hate to see it.

Quote:
!! WHOA: US Capitol defendant Richard Barnett -- man accused of putting feet on Pelosi desk - is *screaming* at attorneys and judge during his court hearing right now.

Upset he's been locked up "for a whole month"... "it's not fair"

Judge just recessed hearing for "5 mins"
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/s...95714968920069
Old 4th March 2021, 09:38 AM   #3098
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

He's just being affected by evil liberal cancel culture. He should go free. /s

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 09:50 AM   #3099
sphenisc
Philosopher

Fortunately the police rushed to restrain him five hours later.
Old 4th March 2021, 09:55 AM   #3100
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

From the link:
Quote:
Gaspari said Ibrahim was outside the Capitol because “it was a historic event.” She said he did not pass a set of metal barricades outside the building that were quickly overrun by the crowd.
Not defending the guy, but if he didn't actually cross the barriers, let alone enter the Capitol, he might not have done anything wrong legally.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 10:00 AM   #3101
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

From the link:

Not defending the guy, but if he didn't actually cross the barriers, let alone enter the Capitol, he might not have done anything wrong legally.
I'm assuming a fed would have the good sense to not make a statement that incriminates himself.
Old 4th March 2021, 10:18 AM   #3102
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I'm assuming a fed would have the good sense to not make a statement that incriminates himself.
Well, if he's lying there's a good chance that there's a video to prove it.
Old 4th March 2021, 10:21 AM   #3103
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by sphenisc View Post
Fortunately the police rushed to restrain him five hours later.
Well done, again.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 10:44 AM   #3104
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

"Bullhorn Lady" Rachel Powell gets 8 count felony indictment, including weapons and violence charges. She was armed with a wooden pole and an ice axe and is also charged for breaking a window to enter the building.

https://beta.documentcloud.org/docum...4-rachelpowell
Old 4th March 2021, 01:03 PM   #3105
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post

I'd charge every single person present there as accessories. Attacking the heart of your country's democracy should not deserve any mercy or quarter.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 01:25 PM   #3106
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

From the link:

He's also not charged with any crimes:
Quote:
A DEA spokeswoman declined to comment on Ibrahim’s suspension. He has not been charged with a crime.
His security clearance is an issue.

These agencies are trying to clean right-wing extremists from their ranks. This is as bad or worse than some of the suspensions/firings over FB posts.

And nothing like calling attention to yourself:
Quote:
Ibrahim worked in a DEA office in the Los Angeles suburbs. Gaspari said he had turned in his resignation before Jan. 6, but withdrew it before it took effect.
And: Federal Agent Sends His Capitol Pics To DEA Chat Group - Gets Suspended - Loses Gun & Badge

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th March 2021 at 01:30 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2021, 04:14 PM   #3107
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Maj. Gen. William Walker did something a bit out of the ordinary. He didn't feign confusion over details of timing or make pitiful asides about technocratic details of bureaucratic procedure. He did the subtle equivalent of holding up a piece of paper with his boss's face on it with "talk to this guy (and his boss, too!)" under it.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 01:07 AM   #3108
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Trump State Dept. appointee arrested for Capitol assault:
Quote:
Federico Klein was arrested Thursday in Virginia, an FBI spokesperson said.
The FBI says in court documents that Klein can be seen resisting officers, attempting to take items from them, and assaulting them with a riot shield. The documents allege he “violently shoved the shield into an officer’s body in an attempt to breach the police line."
The court documents say Klein was working at the State Department on Jan. 6, possessed top-secret security clearance and resigned Jan. 19.

Government records show Klein worked on Donald Trump’s 2016 campaign and was hired at the State Department in January 2017.

Government files show that at least into 2020, Klein was serving as a political appointee at the State Department as a special assistant in the Bureau of Western Hemisphere Affairs.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fo...id=mailsignout
Old 5th March 2021, 02:01 AM   #3109
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Trump State Dept. appointee arrested for Capitol assault:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fo...id=mailsignout
Obviously, another Antifa plant.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 05:05 AM   #3110
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, two things about this. One, it perfectly encapsulates the entitlement of people of a certain mindset. Two, calling a recess for 5 minutes seems like a mild reaction from the judge.
Old 5th March 2021, 05:06 AM   #3111
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Yeah, two things about this. One, it perfectly encapsulates the entitlement of people of a certain mindset. Two, calling a recess for 5 minutes seems like a mild reaction from the judge.
Courts as supposed to be impartial, but being a dick like this definitely puts a fat thumb on the scale in a negative way. This guy probably has a fair chance of getting released on bond pending trial, but having a freakout like this isn't going to help him one bit.
Old 5th March 2021, 06:17 AM   #3112
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post

It reminds me of the woman who was filmed freaking out while being arrested, complaining that she was being treated like a black person.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2021, 09:52 PM   #3113
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It reminds me of the woman who was filmed freaking out while being arrested, complaining that she was being treated like a black person.
I suspect she didn't say "black person."
Old 6th March 2021, 10:28 PM   #3114
SezMe
post-pre-born

Is there a site devoted to keeping track of all the people arrested due to their involvement in Jan. 6? I've looked but haven't been successful.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2021, 10:31 PM   #3115
surrogate
Critical Thinker

Is there a site devoted to keeping track of all the people arrested due to their involvement in Jan. 6? I've looked but haven't been successful.
There is this from USA Today. Not sure if it is what you are looking for.
surrogate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2021, 11:36 AM   #3116
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

The DOJ website lists those arrested so far, including affidavits and indictments. It seems to grow nearly everyday.

Within that page there's this link to the FBI's BOLO for the jackasses they're still after.

Hope that helps.

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2021, 03:15 PM   #3117
crescent
Illuminator

There's also a Twitter channel that publicizes faces and information about those who have not yet been identified. They don't actually identify the people publicly and discourage their followers from doing do. They just post photos from Jan 6 of the people involved. Usually multiple photos from different times and locations (but all still from Jan 6 at the Capitol) with information about what the person was seen doing.

Information provided to them is then forwarded to Law Enforcement.

Sedition Hunters
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th March 2021, 04:34 PM   #3118
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by surrogate View Post
There is this from USA Today. Not sure if it is what you are looking for.
That's good - if they keep it up to date. Thanks.
Old 7th March 2021, 06:24 PM   #3119
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Here's some background info from AP:

Officers maced, trampled: Docs expose depth of Jan. 6 chaos

https://apnews.com/article/docs-expo...8fb4e3c81258c3
Old 7th March 2021, 08:29 PM   #3120
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Doesn't Barnett have a lawyer who has informed him that he is facing...let's see...add the two, carry the one...ah, yes...up to 42.5 years in prison? He has been indicted for, among other things, obstruction, aiding and abetting, and two weapons charges for carrying a stun gun walking stick. A month shouldn't be his worry at this point.

His lawyer also might want to remind him that he is on film committing these acts and is even on video boasting about them, including theft of government property. That's a tough rap tp beat. His only hope is jury nullification, which unfortunately is actually possible in these cases. But with the charges he is facing even that is going to be tough.

His lawyer might want to let him know to not make any summer vacation plans just yet.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events