IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd October 2022, 12:19 PM   #841
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
The right wing politicians and popular figures are all grifters. And those grifters absolutely use fear as their primary way to manipulate the base. That's also why they lie so often and about such crazy things. They have to because the actual reality of what Democrats support and do isn't alarming enough to stoke the fear and hate needed to capture minds and incite them to whatever the grifters need.
While I agree that many politicians are grifters, that's not just restricted to Republicans. But I do agree 100% that the GOP uses fear as their primary way to manipulate the base.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2022, 02:11 PM   #842
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
She's cuckoo.
She's always had a right-wing pro-military agenda, and as a South African she sees American politics as an outsider. But I think she might have gone off the rails after she was brutally assaulted and almost killed by a mob in Cairo. That has to change the way you see the world.

A lengthy profile:
https://news.yahoo.com/happened-lara...212933749.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2022, 02:19 PM   #843
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
She's always had a right-wing pro-military agenda, and as a South African she sees American politics as an outsider. But I think she might have gone off the rails after she was brutally assaulted and almost killed by a mob in Cairo. That has to change the way you see the world.

A lengthy profile:
https://news.yahoo.com/happened-lara...212933749.html
Absolutely. But Logan's cazy ranting about Satan, blood drinking leaders, becoming gods and forcing people to eat insects is just plain delusional paranoia. She needs help.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd October 2022, 02:26 PM   #844
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Lara Logan says she was "dumped" by Fox News for comparing Dr. Anthony Fauci and the infamous Nazi “angel of death” doctor Josef Mengele. emptyg has said the same thing. This came about during an appearance with Alex Jones.

But reports are, far from being 'dumped,' trump is seriously considering choosing greene as his 2024 running mate. He's been quoted as calling her "terrific."

trump himself has been banned from Facebook and Twitter. Fox News reports about donald trump, and his appearances on Fox, have been reduced to the point trump bitterly complains about it. The Republican leadership roundly rejected him when he first began running in 2016. Yet the fact remains, there is a possibility trump might return to the White House in 2024.

This reminds me of a conservative strategist I saw interviewed several months ago. This man recalled meetings years ago with grassroots Republicans that were incensed over GOP support for the Affordable Care Act. The rank-and-file Repubicans were mostly older people and they insisted ACA was to be funded by taking medical benefits away from older Americans. The money would then be used to offer medical benefits to younger Americans, including many who were not born in the United States. This gentleman said he tried to assure them nothing like this was planned but they refused to believe him. He explained the rise of donald trump by saying trump had "tapped into this anger." He's their guy.

trump-greene in 2024?
People like Lara Logan and MTG are examples of why we should not always have sympathy for the mentally ill. They should be locked away and the key discarded.

Also, there has always been an intense undercurrent of bone, stick, stone stupidity in this country. The internet and social media have brought it to the mainstream. The GOP figured out how to tap into it, intensify it, and use it as a weapon to destroy democracy.

There is no putting the genie back in the bottle. Further technological advances will be used to intensify the destruction of democracy. The USA will be a fascist dictatorship by 2030 at the latest.

In the long run, it won't matter because global warming will destroy civilization by 2100 anyway. If nuclear war doesn't do it sooner.

Sorry, I can't help being such a Pollyanna.
Old 23rd October 2022, 02:30 PM   #845
shemp

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Absolutely. But Logan's cazy ranting about Satan, blood drinking leaders, becoming gods and forcing people to eat insects is just plain delusional paranoia. She needs help.
She's beyond help, and so are millions of other Americans. They're like the Gray Goo. They'll just keep multiplying and overwhelming the good people until they've destroyed everything.
Old 23rd October 2022, 02:41 PM   #846
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Don't hold back, Shemp. Tell us how you really feel!
Old 23rd October 2022, 02:44 PM   #847
shemp

Don't hold back, Shemp. Tell us how you really feel!
If I did, I'd probably get banned.
Old 23rd October 2022, 02:47 PM   #848
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
If I did, I'd probably get banned.
I do agree with you on this:
Quote:
...there has always been an intense undercurrent of bone, stick, stone stupidity in this country. The internet and social media have brought it to the mainstream. The GOP figured out how to tap into it, intensify it, and use it as a weapon to destroy democracy.
And they're doing a damn fine job of it.
Old 23rd October 2022, 05:35 PM   #849
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
"They're gonna make us eat bugs!!!" is one of the newer panic buttons for the MAGA hat crowd. The fact that somehow the mentioning or offering of insects as a food source means somehow they are going to be forced to eat it. Its like when Cracker Barrel offered an impossible meat sausage on their menu.

Fear, fear, fear, always be afraid when you hide under your red cap.
And the billionaires they want to cut taxes for go out and eat (aquatic) bugs as often as possible.
Old 23rd October 2022, 05:58 PM   #850
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This video demonstrates just how deluded Trump supporters are. Their ability to see him as a 'man of God' is beyond nuts:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 25th October 2022, 06:51 AM   #851
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by The_Animus View Post
The right wing politicians and popular figures are all grifters. And those grifters absolutely use fear as their primary way to manipulate the base. That's also why they lie so often and about such crazy things. They have to because the actual reality of what Democrats support and do isn't alarming enough to stoke the fear and hate needed to capture minds and incite them to whatever the grifters need.
You’re telling me that there’s a pool table? Right here in River City? That’s trouble.

Yes. The whole lot of them are grifters.

I forget which candidate asserted that Democratic doctors are kidnapping foster children to do irreparable experimental transsexual surgeries.
Old 25th October 2022, 04:22 PM   #852
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The Trump rally in Texas last weekend was yet again proof of just how delusional many Trump supporters are. That they belong to a Trump cult is undeniable when you listen to how they perceive him vs the reality of what he is. Just skip past Pakman's commentary to the actual interviews with Trump supporters. I think there are 4 or 5. Scary.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 26th October 2022, 02:05 PM   #853
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

This video demonstrates just how deluded Trump supporters are. Their ability to see him as a 'man of God' is beyond nuts:
That depends on their God...
Old 26th October 2022, 03:21 PM   #854
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
That depends on their God...
True. Some people's God is nasty, vengeful, petty, hateful god. Sort of like Trump.
Old 26th October 2022, 05:45 PM   #855
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I just watched a Trump supporter claim that 'illegals' coming over the border due to Biden's "wide open border" are going to give away fentanyl as 'candy' from their houses to children on Halloween. When challenged about this claim, she says "Look at Fox News. All you have to do is look at Fox News."

Yep...it's certainly helps to be incredibly stupid if you're a Trump supporter. Sigh...
Old 26th October 2022, 06:33 PM   #856
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

True. Some people's God is nasty, vengeful, petty, hateful, tiny-minded, ignorant, greedy, foul-mouthed god. Sort of like Trump.
Very much so.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2022, 07:25 PM   #857
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Quote:
True. Some people's God is nasty, vengeful, petty, hateful, tiny-minded, ignorant, greedy, foul-mouthed god. Sort of like Trump.
Very much so.
Norman, if you're going to "edit" my post, please indicate that you have done so that others are aware of it.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 26th October 2022 at 07:27 PM.
Old 27th October 2022, 06:45 AM   #858
Armitage72
Philosopher

I just watched a Trump supporter claim that 'illegals' coming over the border due to Biden's "wide open border" are going to give away fentanyl as 'candy' from their houses to children on Halloween. When challenged about this claim, she says "Look at Fox News. All you have to do is look at Fox News."

Yep...it's certainly helps to be incredibly stupid if you're a Trump supporter. Sigh...

There was a meme-type picture I saw somewhere. The caption was something like "Drugs are expensive. Nobody is going to be giving them away to your kids on Halloween."

(That's even disregarding that in the only documented cases of children poisoned by Halloween candy it was done by family members.)
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2022, 09:07 AM   #859
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Addicts aren’t going to hand out drugs. They want the drugs for themselves. This is why they are addicts.

Dealers aren’t going to hand out drugs. It’s doubtful they are going to get any new customers since kids aren’t gonna remember what house the Doctored Reese’s Cup came from. It’s also a given that the kids probably shoved 6 other candy bars down their throat at the same time they are unlikely to know which was the problem candy. Your probably going to cause a medical issue that will get the police involved. Every drug dealer wants that!

Pranksters? Unlikely, this stuff is expensive. It’s a lot of work to doctor a candy bar for results you’ll likely never see.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2022, 09:24 AM   #860
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

You can't reason people out of a position they haven't reasoned themselves into, logic is pointless.

They've been told something they instinctively believe - that drug addicts and illegal immigrants are trying to hurt "their" kids, nothing could possibly shift them from that position.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2022, 10:11 AM   #861
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I might modestly suggest that if kids are getting drugs from addicts and illegal immigrants, perhaps they're working the wrong neighborhoods.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2022, 02:05 PM   #862
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
You can't reason people out of a position they haven't reasoned themselves into, logic is pointless.

They've been told something they instinctively believe - that drug addicts and illegal immigrants are trying to hurt "their" kids, nothing could possibly shift them from that position.
Absolutely. People believe what they want to believe regardless of the facts. I've run into this over and over again. Quoting and citing irrefutable evidence for some people is a waste of time when they're emotionally dug in. I've quoted from final court documents disproving a poster's claim and that poster claimed it was a 'clerical typo' rather than accept the fact.
Old 27th October 2022, 07:37 PM   #863
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Norman, if you're going to "edit" my post, please indicate that you have done so that others are aware of it.
I highlighted the change. Is there some other way?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th October 2022, 10:21 PM   #864
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I highlighted the change. Is there some other way?
I understand you meant it to point out your edit, but highlighting is usually used to bring attention to something said, not necessarily to indicate an edit.
All's good.
Old 29th October 2022, 03:45 PM   #865
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Our girl Lara doubles down:
Quote:
Logan, who reportedly got the boot from Fox after she equated Dr. Anthony Fauci to a Nazi doctor in 2021, has been barred from Newsmax TV as of last week over a conspiracy-laden rant that included claims about a global cabal.

She pointed to Yuval Noah Harari and the World Economic Forum during her rant before claiming they “dined on the blood of children.”

Logan appeared on pillow salesman Mike Lindell’s Frank Speech network on Monday to make more odd claims during a spiel about missing children.

“They just vanish? I don’t think so,” said Logan as she geared up to peddle a QAnon conspiracy theory.

“Every sex trafficking ring worldwide knows, bring the kids to the United States, that this administration is participating in the trafficking of kids.”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-fox-na...045846889.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2022, 04:11 PM   #866
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Lara Logan obviously needs mental health help...as do so many right-wing Trumpers. We've seen time and time again that delusional conspiracists are drawn to Trump. He feeds them.
Old 29th October 2022, 04:29 PM   #867
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
To be fair, the *previous* administration could probably be credibly accused of that. Possibly one of the main reasons why the Q's are screaming about it and trying to point fingers at the Democrats. Blaming Democrats for the problems caused by the previous Republican administration is pretty much a classic Republican tactic.

Last edited by Aridas; 29th October 2022 at 04:32 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2022, 04:55 PM   #868
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
To be fair, the *previous* administration could probably be credibly accused of that. Possibly one of the main reasons why the Q's are screaming about it and trying to point fingers at the Democrats. Blaming Democrats for the problems caused by the previous Republican administration is pretty much a classic Republican tactic.
And taking credit for things the Dems did is also a classic Republican tactic as we've seen lately with the Infrastructure money and GOP candidates who voted against the bill.
Old 29th October 2022, 07:49 PM   #869
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001
Our girl Lara doubles down:
Quote:
Logan, who reportedly got the boot from Fox after she equated Dr. Anthony Fauci to a Nazi doctor in 2021, has been barred from Newsmax TV as of last week over a conspiracy-laden rant that included claims about a global cabal.

She pointed to Yuval Noah Harari and the World Economic Forum during her rant before claiming they “dined on the blood of children.”

Logan appeared on pillow salesman Mike Lindell’s Frank Speech network on Monday to make more odd claims during a spiel about missing children.

“They just vanish? I don’t think so,” said Logan as she geared up to peddle a QAnon conspiracy theory.

“Every sex trafficking ring worldwide knows, bring the kids to the United States, that this administration is participating in the trafficking of kids.”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-fox-na...045846889.html
How do YOU know this, Lara? Where are you getting your skinny from?
Old 29th October 2022, 07:53 PM   #870
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

How do YOU know this, Lara? Where are you getting your skinny from?
I have a feeling she gets it from the voices in her head. When does she run for office as a Republican?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2022, 08:19 PM   #871
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

This might belong in the right wing terrorism thread too, but a judge denied the request for a temporary restraining order against the organization calling for and organizing armed and armored red hats intimidating voters at drop off boxes. https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-jud...er-2022-10-28/
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2022, 12:03 AM   #872
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I have a feeling she gets it from the voices in her head. When does she run for office as a Republican?
And win! Being looney tunes is becoming a requirement for GOP candidates.
Old 30th October 2022, 12:04 AM   #873
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
This might belong in the right wing terrorism thread too, but a judge denied the request for a temporary restraining order against the organization calling for and organizing armed and armored red hats intimidating voters at drop off boxes. https://www.reuters.com/legal/us-jud...er-2022-10-28/
Someone should try these goons on.

Turn up with a big box of empty envelopes at a drop box monitored by some of these self-styled "hall-monitors" and put them in one by one, slowly. See what happens.

If they are stopped by the gun-toter or any attempt is made to stop them, ask why. They better have a decent excuse (there isn't one, btw) or else they are interfering with an election. And that's an offense that can go to this judge to deal with.

If they don't stop the letter drop, they are a bunch of try-hard useless right-wing goons and they need to have their faces splayed in the local media as such.
Old 30th October 2022, 12:05 AM   #874
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Yep...a judge who was appointed by Trump and a member of the Federalist Society.
Old 30th October 2022, 06:18 AM   #875
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

This is some scary stuff. Some of the drop box watchers are in tactical gear and armed. They film people dropping off ballots -- and record their license plates -- even when the people are obviously not dropping off multiple ballots, much less the dozens and hundreds of fraudulent ballots these groups claim to be there to document.

One man stopped and covered his license plate before driving up to the drop box. The 'poll watchers' recorded him doing it. But on a posting on Reddit "trumpermel" posted an image of the man at the drop box with his license plate covered and the comment, "What do you see? Ballot stuffing has already begun in Arizona." -

The Seattle Times reported:
Quote:
Other election deniers are filming voters dropping off ballots, photographing their license plates and confronting them in parking lots outside early voting locations in Arizona and Michigan, according to Marcia Johnson-Blanco, who is overseeing election protection efforts for the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law. At least three groups that make baseless claims of widespread voter fraud are encouraging untrained volunteers to engage in the effort. One effort, funded by Michael Flynn, Donald Trump’s first national security adviser and a former Army general in Iraq 20 years ago, is specifically recruiting military veterans and police officers to monitor voting. Seattle Times link

A trump-appointed federal judge sees this as only a first amendment issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Man excercises first amendment rights.jpg (39.7 KB, 8 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2022, 06:46 AM   #876
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

This is some scary stuff. Some of the drop box watchers are in tactical gear and armed. They film people dropping off ballots -- and record their license plates -- even when the people are obviously not dropping off multiple ballots, much less the dozens and hundreds of fraudulent ballots these groups claim to be there to document.

One man stopped and covered his license plate before driving up to the drop box. The 'poll watchers' recorded him doing it. But on a posting on Reddit "trumpermel" posted an image of the man at the drop box with his license plate covered and the comment, "What do you see? Ballot stuffing has already begun in Arizona." -

The Seattle Times reported:

A trump-appointed federal judge sees this as only a first amendment issue?
Seems that those "drop box watchers" are abject cowards ashamed to be identified themselves. Hence the masks.

Amerika as a country should be very very ashamed for allowing such things to occur. Freedom, in the USA, is just another meaningless word. Americans are in fact less free than most of the rest of the western world due, in part, to intimidation by such fascists.
Old 30th October 2022, 07:15 AM   #877
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Someone should try these goons on.

Turn up with a big box of empty envelopes at a drop box monitored by some of these self-styled "hall-monitors" and put them in one by one, slowly. See what happens.

If they are stopped by the gun-toter or any attempt is made to stop them, ask why. They better have a decent excuse (there isn't one, btw) or else they are interfering with an election. And that's an offense that can go to this judge to deal with.

If they don't stop the letter drop, they are a bunch of try-hard useless right-wing goons and they need to have their faces splayed in the local media as such.
But the cases I’ve read about involve the right-wing goons wearing masks to hide their identity - which is all the more reason to confront them (from a reasonable distance) by asking why they are hiding their identities if the are law-abiding patriots.
Old 30th October 2022, 07:58 AM   #878
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

The Trump rally in Texas last weekend was yet again proof of just how delusional many Trump supporters are. That they belong to a Trump cult is undeniable when you listen to how they perceive him vs the reality of what he is. Just skip past Pakman's commentary to the actual interviews with Trump supporters. I think there are 4 or 5. Scary.
I AGREE
Yes.
When the first chucklehead says the Democrats “stole 100 million or 1 million votes in Texas,” nothing good will come from pointing out that Trump won Texas and all of its 38 electoral votes were cast for DJT - therefore stealing a million votes in Texas is stupid AF.
I strongly suspect that if one tried to explain the Electoral College, one would not make much progress. I doubt high school civics textbooks or even the Constitution would help.
Old 30th October 2022, 11:14 AM   #879
shemp

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Yes.
When the first chucklehead says the Democrats “stole 100 million or 1 million votes in Texas,” nothing good will come from pointing out that Trump won Texas and all of its 38 electoral votes were cast for DJT - therefore stealing a million votes in Texas is stupid AF.
I strongly suspect that if one tried to explain the Electoral College, one would not make much progress. I doubt high school civics textbooks or even the Constitution would help.
No amount of facts or logic will work against such extreme mental illness.
Old 30th October 2022, 02:22 PM   #880
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I've long held that the Trump base is largely just plain stupid. Yeah, yeah, I know ...calling them stupid doesn't help and it just makes them angry. I don't care. They're not the only ones who get to make people angry and they pissed me off long ago.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics