ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old Today, 07:24 AM   #1521
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

And he has landed in Belgium.
Old Today, 07:27 AM   #1522
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I like that every armchair pundit thinks they are experts on terrorism, the middle east and foreign policy. That they know better. Especially, when you consider that everything we have done in the Middle East since Harry Truman seems to have been wrong. When Trump actually said that he didn't think it was that hard the other day, my drink went through my nose.
To be fair, he wasn't aware Israel was part of the middle east at that time. Removing that wrinkle makes things easier.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #1523
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
UGH

Words don't matter. Who cares what we call them?
The right wing media. Did he use the phrase Radical Islamic Terrorism or is he denying the link like Obama did?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:41 AM   #1524
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Words matter a lot, actually, and the impression you give to your allies and electorate can make a big difference even when your actual actions are the same.
"We took action and bombed the evil people / terrorists / jihadists / radical islamic terrorists - it's all the same.

anyway, this is getting a bit away from the topic.
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #1525
Argumemnon
World Maker

"We took action and bombed the evil people / terrorists / jihadists / radical islamic terrorists - it's all the same.
Not to the people you're talking to. They're humans, not machines.

"Why did he avoid saying the actual term?" becomes quite the nagging question when you have to ask it a dozen times over the course of a year.
Old Today, 08:02 AM   #1526
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Agreed.

And I don't think a religious fanatic factors in how the west, in general, views them - they're going to their heavenly reward whether we see them as zealots or monsters or lunatics or losers.
The only disquieting possibility is that some mad bomber may decide to prove he's not a loser (and therefore prove Trump wrong) by catapulting himself into Heaven along with many victims. Of course he won't waken up in the company of houris, but by that time it'll be too late for the unfortunate people whose lives may be lost.

But I agree that we should treat these murderers with contempt, and not exaggerated fear, far less the respect due to a "zealot".
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:20 AM   #1527
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

"Why did he avoid saying the actual term?" becomes quite the nagging question when you have to ask it a dozen times over the course of a year.
We need to get over it. It's semantic word games.
Old Today, 08:24 AM   #1528
Parsman
Critical Thinker

We need to get over it. It's semantic word games.
The right wing media in the USA went bananas when Obama chose not to use the phrase Radical Islamic Terrorism. Trump was right there with that crew. He chose not to use that phrase himself. That isn't semantics, it is hypocrisy, something Trump seems to be very good at, maybe even the only thing.
Old Today, 08:32 AM   #1529
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Wow.
This could directly lead to war, making this leak much more serious than the in the Oval Office.

I have no doubt that the Joint Chiefs are contemplating a Coup d'etat - at least in their minds.
How long until the end of the month?

Just checked. Yup.

Seven Days in May.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:39 AM   #1530
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

How the White House is shredding its own rules against lobbyists

"Swamp the drain!"
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:24 AM   #1531
The Great Zaganza
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
How long until the end of the month?

Just checked. Yup.

Seven Days in May.
Old Today, 09:26 AM   #1532
wareyin
Philosopher

Well, it's not like the reasoning behind Obama's choice of phrasing wasn't explained pretty much each time some FOX News idiot asked, is it? I mean, disingenuously asking a (stupid) question over and over again in order to pretend that the answer must not be the official (and obvious) one, but rather some nefarious action (that only a secret commie/atheist/muslim like Obama would do) is never something that the right wing media would stoop to, right?

Of course, if you think that using the "radical Islam" phrase would actually have helped things out, perhaps you can explain how so?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:38 AM   #1533
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Well, it's not like the reasoning behind Obama's choice of phrasing wasn't explained pretty much each time some FOX News idiot asked, is it? I mean, disingenuously asking a (stupid) question over and over again in order to pretend that the answer must not be the official (and obvious) one, but rather some nefarious action (that only a secret commie/atheist/muslim like Obama would do) is never something that the right wing media would stoop to, right?
Your sarcasm doesn't help you make your point. I notice you're ignoring the post you replied to and are instead answering a different post I never made.

Quote:
Of course, if you think that using the "radical Islam" phrase would actually have helped things out, perhaps you can explain how so?
Is it the truth or not?
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #1534
wareyin
Philosopher

Your sarcasm doesn't help you make your point. I notice you're ignoring the post you replied to and are instead answering a different post I never made.
Your post didn't claim that a question which had been repeatedly answered was a "nagging question" that the right wing media had to keep asking? Huh, sure looks like it to me.

Quote:
Is it the truth or not?
That doesn't look like an explanation as to why using the phrase would help. If your wife asks whether or not her jeans make her look fat, does calling her "fatty mcfat-face" help, even if it's true that she looks overweight in those jeans?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 09:52 AM   #1535
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Your post didn't claim that a question which had been repeatedly answered was a "nagging question" that the right wing media had to keep asking? Huh, sure looks like it to me.
Maybe it's because you're adding stuff to my post that wasn't there when I clicked "submit reply", because I don't mention right wing media at all.

Quote:
That doesn't look like an explanation as to why using the phrase would help. If your wife asks whether or not her jeans make her look fat, does calling her "fatty mcfat-face" help, even if it's true that she looks overweight in those jeans?
Is it the truth or not?
Old Today, 10:00 AM   #1536
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

I rather expect that Mr. Obama had some rationale behind his choice to avoid using the phrase "radical Islamic terrorism." It may have been strategic or perhaps just a veiled "blow me" to his silly critics.
Old Today, 10:06 AM   #1537
wareyin
Philosopher

Maybe it's because you're adding stuff to my post that wasn't there when I clicked "submit reply", because I don't mention right wing media at all.
Oh, are you somehow under the impression that anyone other than the right wing media was worried about the exact phrase used?

Quote:
Is it the truth or not?
Italics and bold are still not explanations for why you think it should have been used. Obviously, you don't get the point about tact. Let's try a different approach: was Obama's phrasing not true? Is this focus on tying Islam to terrorism that the right wing media has, somehow more true than calling the group ISIL?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old Today, 10:07 AM   #1538
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I rather expect that Mr. Obama had some rationale behind his choice to avoid using the phrase "radical Islamic terrorism." It may have been strategic or perhaps just a veiled "blow me" to his silly critics.
No, I think he just didn't want to appear to be offending all Muslims. Not necessarily a bad reason, but it did annoy quite a few people on his own side.
Old Today, 10:24 AM   #1539
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
And Obama was more criticized for what he didn't say. "He didn't say Islamic Extremism" "He didn't say terrorist"
And they also manufactured Obama's positions on several policies.

Except, of course, for the times that he did.

I suppose that is part and parcel of Republicans "manufacturing" (an odd way to spell "lying about") Obama's positions on several policies.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics