ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot , Bob Gimlin , Patterson-Gimlin film , Roger Patterson

Old 20th October 2014, 12:57 PM   #1681
MikeG
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squatchy McSquatch View Post
Hey gang New to the forum but familiar with the topic ........
.........and many of the posters

Welcome.
There may be dogs about

Pink Floyd - Sheep
MikeG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2014, 12:57 PM   #1682
Gilbert Syndrome
Muse

100% of the time...
Old 20th October 2014, 12:58 PM   #1683
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
I am and do have a question. How often does this occur? Does it occur 1%, 25%, 99%?
In what context?

As an example, every single mermaid sighting was and is a cognitive error or a ******** story.

"We don't go in the woods, even hunters, for all intents and purposes." Chucklehead Redux
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2014, 01:05 PM   #1684
tsig
a carbon based life-form

So it's a case of "don't believe your own lying eyes infrared viewer , but believe what you've been told?"
FTFY
tsig is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2014, 01:16 PM   #1685
Gilbert Syndrome
Muse

My own eyes show me that Squatch ain't around, my brain explains that he can't be, logic dictates that he isn't, NL tells me that he is, he can, it does...and not only that, but he doesn't half enjoy a bag of sweets when he can get 'em.
Old 20th October 2014, 01:16 PM   #1686
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Hey gang New to the forum but familiar with the topic

Supposedly Roger and Bob shot the footage 47 years ago today.

I don't buy timeline for one bit, but Happy Paddy Day!!!
To paraphrase Spicolli, "I know this dude."

"We don't go in the woods, even hunters, for all intents and purposes." Chucklehead Redux
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2014, 01:17 PM   #1687
dmaker
Critical Thinker

Hey gang New to the forum but familiar with the topic

Supposedly Roger and Bob shot the footage 47 years ago today.

I don't buy timeline for one bit, but Happy Paddy Day!!!

Welcome, SMS, nice to see you here.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2014, 01:40 PM   #1688
Paul Holland
Scholar

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
Welcome, SMS, nice to see you here.
So he is the same SMS from BFF. Great!
Old 20th October 2014, 03:18 PM   #1689
The Shrike
Master Poster

I feel so out of the loop with goings on and new personalities at the BFF. (I'll get over it though.)
The Shrike is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2014, 04:16 PM   #1690
rockinkt
Muse

So it's a case of "don't believe your own lying eyes, but believe what you've been told?"
Did your eyes "lie to you" on any of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRCMdnCr6h0#t=96

Yes or no?

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th October 2014, 04:24 PM   #1691
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
People misinterpret what they see all the time. Are you familiar with all the cognitive/memory biases NL?
I am and do have a question. How often does this occur? Does it occur 1%, 25%, 99%?
Everything is filtered through one's brain, which actively patterns and associates it idiosyncratically, so the incidence of subjective bias is 100%. However, these variations are often trivial enough not to matter.

Put another way, subjectivity is bias, and individual humans are inescapably subjective. That's why science was invented--a strict methodology was required to test the objectivity of hypotheses about the world around us.

Just as implausible as the existence of bigfoot are bigfoot "knowers" who are as infallible as they seem to think they are.
Old 20th October 2014, 06:09 PM   #1692
Paul Holland
Scholar

When Billy Met Bobby

This is kind of awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7zSeJsSLSs

Munns and Gimlin are looking at a 3-D creation of Munns' that shows Patterson and Patty moving through the scene at Bluff Creek. They appear to be in somebody's converted garage or something, and Meldrum pops in as well. It's like a neighborhood watch meeting at M.K. Davis's.

The little figures are kind of cool...in an 80's Nintendo sort of way, and at one point (3:02) there's a priceless comment that one of us might have made (Munns appears unamused).

It's very educational to watch Munns tell Gimlin what happened that day, kind of like he's the bank robber mastermind going through everyone's role in the big heist, and Gimlin is up.

Stick with it and you'll get Munns' theory as to why there were no tracks leading up to Patty's famous stroll (mmm, never thought about that, says Bob, who is still quick enough to offer that the October sun was about to set—it was already 12:30 p.m., donchaknow, so there wouldn't have been any time to look for prior prints, even if I had considered it before this moment.).

You'd think Munns wouldn't bring that up—that they only looked at prints from the point she appeared on film...hmmmm.

But he has a simple answer...

Patty had been frolicking along in the creek till she saw the boys!
Old 21st October 2014, 05:03 AM   #1693
Northern Lights
Critical Thinker

Bill Munns isn't the only Hollywood FX guy that believes the PGF is real.

Doug Hudson does too. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1943106/?ref_=fn_al_nm_2

He did make a sasquatch suit and said his cost about $30K to make and still isn't on par with Patty.

What are the collective thoughts on another person with suit making experience saying Patty is real?
Northern Lights is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2014, 05:05 AM   #1694
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

What are the collective thoughts on another person with suit making experience saying Patty is real?
Lot's of gullible folks out there.

Old 21st October 2014, 06:06 AM   #1695
mustbeso
Thinker

NL, are you saying that a private citizen, in this case Doug Hudson, has spent $30,000 on a bigfoot suit? Have you seen it and do you have an opinion on it? It seems inconcievable that even the the most gullible of believers would do this.
mustbeso is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2014, 06:42 AM   #1696
Vortigern99
Philosopher

According to the imdb link which NL provided, Hudson is supervising effects on a bigfoot film slated for release in 2015. My best guess is: that's the suit he's referring to, which cost 30k.

"Still isn't on par with Patty" is a fantastically subjective call, however, depending as it does on a shaky, blurry, blown-up, zoomed-in pixellated copy of a 45-year-old print! It's like a photographic Rorschach test, open to wild variations in interpretation and opinion.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix
Vortigern99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2014, 06:50 AM   #1697
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

He did make a sasquatch suit and said his cost about $30K to make and still isn't on par with Patty.

I'll bet if he films it with the equipment and in the manner that Roger Patterson did, it'll look swell.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2014, 06:57 AM   #1698
Drewbot
Illuminator

I personally asked him to clarify. We will see what happens.

His FB page does make it look like he might be a footer. I don't know how much of that is marketing.

https://www.facebook.com/doug.hudson.18?fref=ts
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2014, 07:09 AM   #1699
Gilbert Syndrome
Muse

NL, you totally ignore the fact that the majority of FX people who've weighed in on the PGF have called it as it is: bollocks. A guy spends 30k on a suit and says it's "not on par with Patty?" That's like the saddest thing I've heard all week.
Old 21st October 2014, 07:12 AM   #1700
Paul Holland
Scholar

Originally Posted by mustbeso View Post
NL, are you saying that a private citizen, in this case Doug Hudson, has spent $30,000 on a bigfoot suit? Have you seen it and do you have an opinion on it? It seems inconcievable that even the the most gullible of believers would do this.
Well, he appears to be in charge of the costume on an upcoming Sasquatch movie. Does that in itself make him an expert on the PGF?

Number one, His credits are a bit sparse lately; nothing against him, but to throw him out there as just another big-time special effects artist is a bit cruel.

Number two, that kind of comment is good for business (wow, Patty is so REAL! Our movie might not be as far-fetched as you think! Its story could happen to YOU!).

Number three, he couldn't make a Patty suit for $30,000? Well, look at his Bigfoot suit. Maybe it wasn't enough money to buy ALL the fake fur on the West Coast for it?
bigfoot%2Brental%2Bsuit.jpg

Number four, you can rent one of his suits from him. Not everyone can be a superstar, but I don't think there's a 1-800-RICK-BAKER.

Number five, his gallery (at the above site) heavily features static, taxidermy-style pieces. Not a lot of things that move. Hmmmm....does that sound like anyone else we know?

Number six, he appears to be a bit of a Footer himself, it seems.

In short, this is a Bill Munns Mini-Me. Can't make a Patty costume for $30,000? It's obvious he hasn't even tried, and won't...it's bad for Bigfooot business. What's so humorous is that his costume is so horrible yet it's hailed by the Footers as magnificent, because it's made by a guy with movie credits who says Patty is real.

Really...look at that costume. Is it the worst, most dated furry you've ever seen? Footers aren't serious about this whole Patty thing. Putting this guy out there makes it obvious.
Old 21st October 2014, 10:10 AM   #1701
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.mcavenedesigns.com/Bigfoot/bigfoot_1.htm

Why not just buy and modify this suit?

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2014, 10:12 AM   #1702
Drewbot
Illuminator

Well, it's only for production rental.
Drewbot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2014, 10:14 AM   #1703
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Or this suit?

http://www.mcavenedesigns.com/Bigfoot/bigfoot_2.htm

Old 21st October 2014, 10:15 AM   #1704
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Drewbot View Post
Well, it's only for production rental.
An offer of $10K wouldn't work?

That's a lot less than $30K.

Old 21st October 2014, 10:17 AM   #1705
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.flickr.com/photos/265578...h/11397258413/

Looks like it has two different expressions...

Old 21st October 2014, 11:26 AM   #1706
Resume
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
https://www.flickr.com/photos/265578...h/11397258413/

Looks like it has two different expressions...
Starring Ryan Gosling as Bigfoot.

Old 21st October 2014, 04:09 PM   #1707
mangler
Critical Thinker

This Hudson guy seems to contradict himself toward the end of the interview.

"Big ass feet on, he had to clear the ground...ya know to step forward so it matched...and then so I started thinkin..well maybe...ya know maybe the Patterson/Gimlin thing is a fake, I don't know...but...I don't know,I..I hope it's real" 6:58-7:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgsO8fpVo3chttp://

Why all this talk of fake fur when the majority of the old ape suits hanging around Hollywood were made of fur? If Patterson (or whomever) built or piecemealed a suit in my opinion it would have been made out of fur.

http://www.hollywoodgorillamen.com/2...arzan-and.html

I like the one with its back to the camera, hangs nice. Think it's in hollywood gorillamen also.

I think the Tarzan Finds a Son suits are awesome, find three of those and someone who can sew leather, sky's the limit. Come to think of it rumor has it Patterson was pretty good with leather, LOL.

http://www.hollywoodgorillamen.com/s...&by-date=false

Add a little blur.

m

Last edited by mangler; 21st October 2014 at 04:10 PM.
mangler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2014, 07:08 PM   #1708
rockinkt
Muse

So - are we getting a professional opinion from a man who looked at all the various close up and slow motion iterations of the film - or are we getting regurgitated Munns?

IMHO - he doesn't speak on his own authority on what he personally saw in the movie - he just states that he worked with Munns and then rattles off the usual Munns nonsense about the suit that Munns obviously filled his head with.

I would give this man much more credit if he came here - or at least the BFF2 (where there are still a few good critical thinkers) - and laid out his own specific experience with viewing the PGF and how he came to his conclusions.

Academy award winner Chris Walas and the very well respected Verne Langdon both gave their opinions backed by their specific observations on the BFF1 and took their lumps from the PGF fan-club.

Until we get more than what we see on that You-tube video - I give this man's opinion little credence.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2014, 07:13 PM   #1709
rockinkt
Muse

Originally Posted by mangler View Post
This Hudson guy seems to contradict himself toward the end of the interview.

"Big ass feet on, he had to clear the ground...ya know to step forward so it matched...and then so I started thinkin..well maybe...ya know maybe the Patterson/Gimlin thing is a fake, I don't know...but...I don't know,I..I hope it's real" 6:58-7:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgsO8fpVo3chttp://

<snip>
m
Good catch!

Old 21st October 2014, 09:02 PM   #1710
Squatchy McSquatch
New Blood

At 8:58 Hudson claims furcloth (he calls it regular funfur) is rigid like carpet and doesn't move.

I wonder where he got that idea?
Squatchy McSquatch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM   #1711
River
Illuminator

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
So - are we getting a professional opinion from a man who looked at all the various close up and slow motion iterations of the film - or are we getting regurgitated Munns?

IMHO - he doesn't speak on his own authority on what he personally saw in the movie - he just states that he worked with Munns and then rattles off the usual Munns nonsense about the suit that Munns obviously filled his head with.

I would give this man much more credit if he came here - or at least the BFF2 (where there are still a few good critical thinkers) - and laid out his own specific experience with viewing the PGF and how he came to his conclusions.

Academy award winner Chris Walas and the very well respected Verne Langdon both gave their opinions backed by their specific observations on the BFF1 and took their lumps from the PGF fan-club.

Until we get more than what we see on that You-tube video - I give this man's opinion little credence.

I've been in contact with both of those gentlemen before, class acts. Verne Langdon in particular was very engaging and knowledgeable about the industry during those days. I enjoyed debating with Lloyd Pye about the Minnesota iceman a while back. Verne was a great source of information concerning that whole thing, and was why I originally contacted him.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal