ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Jeff Sessions , obstruction of justice , Robert Mueller , Rod Rosenstein , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 17th June 2017, 01:15 AM   #321
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Bill Maher on Trump's tweets about the investigation(s): "This is like Watergate, if Deep Throat was Nixon."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDf_vh2_tNE
(at about 1'40'')
Old 17th June 2017, 03:48 AM   #322
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
https://www.rferl.org/a/white-house-.../28547598.html

White House Says Trump Won't Fire Special Counsel Leading Russia Probe
Fake News. Could you find a credible source?
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2017, 10:50 AM   #323
Stacko
Philosopher

This is not surprising.

Quote:
While he has left open the possibility of dismissing Mr. Mueller and began considering it shortly after the special counsel was appointed last month, the president’s anger has been largely trained on Mr. Sessions and Mr. Rosenstein, whom he views less as executors of law than as salaried staff.

At a congressional hearing this week, Mr. Rosenstein issued a modest declaration of independence, testifying that he was the only person who had the ability to fire Mr. Mueller. And he made plain that his actions would not be dictated by the president.

“I’m not going to follow any order unless I believe they are lawful and appropriate orders,” Mr. Rosenstein said. “It wouldn’t matter to me what anybody said.”

Mr. Trump has a different view of the chain of command, aides said, but he also knows that he cannot afford to fire Mr. Rosenstein without prompting a massive backlash on Capitol Hill, even among Republicans. But the deputy attorney general, who would have to sign off on Mr. Mueller’s firing, has become a favorite target for Mr. Trump in conversations with advisers and friends.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2017, 11:05 AM   #324
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
Bill Maher on Trump's tweets about the investigation(s): "This is like Watergate, if Deep Throat was Nixon."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDf_vh2_tNE
(at about 1'40'')
Hopefully Trumpf gets a firing squad!!!!!!! After a short trial of he and flunkies and puppet masters.

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2017, 12:15 PM   #325
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Or he's going to be flogging a book about Trump soon and having subject going down in flames shortly after publishing wouldn't be a good outcome.
Could Newt be any more obvious?

Speaker of the House of Trump
Quote:
With a new Trump biography and a six-part lecture series, Newt Gingrich is auditioning for his latest role—defining and interpreting Trumpism....

A few weeks after the 2016 election, Newt Gingrich appeared at the Heritage Foundation to deliver what had been billed as a speech on the “Principles of Trumpism.” Tellingly, he spent most of his time instead talking about the brilliance of Trump the Man—his epic debate performances, his social media cunning, his utter domination of every opponent that provokes him. “Donald Trump is the grizzly bear in The Revenant,” Gingrich gushed at one point. “If you get his attention, he will get awake … he will walk over, bite your face off, and sit on you.”

To the extent that he tried to articulate any “principles” then, they seemed largely to cohere around a collection of culture-war applause lines and campaign-trail talking points. Someone listening Gingrich’s speech in search of a definition could have been forgiven for assuming “Trumpism” aimed primarily to protect cashiers’ right to say “Merry Christmas,” and to shame NFL players who don’t stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. It was not, in other words a fully formed political ideology—at least not yet.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2017, 12:17 PM   #326
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Here's a hypothetical question.

If someone could extract all of the integrity exhibited by the entire GOP contingent in both chambers of Congress this year, could God make a container small enough to store it without it being lost in the emptiness?
Nom'ed
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 12:08 AM   #327
sts60
Master Poster

Here's a hypothetical question.

If someone could extract all of the integrity exhibited by the entire GOP contingent in both chambers of Congress this year, could God make a container small enough to store it without it being lost in the emptiness?
You may have just discovered the "why" of quantum mechanics.

I like to think of quantum fluctuations as God's neurons firing. But, really, the whole thing could just be a way to define the dimensions of such a container - one cubic Planck length.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 04:07 AM   #328
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
You may have just discovered the "why" of quantum mechanics.

I like to think of quantum fluctuations as God's neurons firing. But, really, the whole thing could just be a way to define the dimensions of such a container - one cubic Planck length.

That's the thing. Somehow I doubt that would be small enough.
Old 18th June 2017, 09:19 AM   #329
C_Felix
Master Poster

Mr. Trump's lawyer wants us to know that Mr. Trump is not under investigation even though Mr. Trump tweeted so; and it is Twitter's fault for having character limits as to why Mr. Trump tweeted the following:
I am being investigated for firing the FBI Director by the man who told me to fire the FBI Director! Witch Hunt
Old 18th June 2017, 09:31 AM   #330
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

But, you know, he just says stuff!

"I doubt that!" - James Randi
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 09:43 AM   #331
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
But, you know, he just says stuff!
Trump's advisers say Twitter is how he communicates with the people, that his tweets speak for themselves, and also to ignore his tweets.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 01:55 PM   #332
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

What have I been saying?! Putin is following doctrine!

Quote:
Putin 'is lying' by denying Russian interference in US election, Susan Rice says

Former national security adviser under President Obama, Susan Rice, said Russian President Vladimir Putin "is lying" by denying Russian interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election.

Rice in an exclusive interview on "This Week" Sunday was asked by ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos about Putin's recent statement that the Russian government didn't meddle in the U.S. election although patriotic Russians might have done so.

"Is that as close to an admission of guilt we're going to get form President Putin?" Stephanopoulos said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/putin...ry?id=47820814
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 01:59 PM   #333
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

double post

Last edited by skyeagle409; 18th June 2017 at 02:01 PM.
skyeagle409 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 02:11 PM   #334
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

Everyone knows that what a US president says should be disregarded unless green-lit by his lawyers.
This has always been the case except of any time before Trump.
Old 18th June 2017, 02:14 PM   #335
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Everyone knows that what a US president says should be disregarded unless green-lit by his lawyers.
This has always been the case except of any time before Trump.
Did you see any of the interviews Sekulow gave today? I wouldn't trust him to vet Trump's tweets.

ETA: This part between Chris Wallace and Sekulow is bonkers.

Last edited by Stacko; 18th June 2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 18th June 2017, 02:39 PM   #336
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Trump is a liar.

Quote:
Donald Trump denies he's ever met Putin despite someone called Donald Trump once saying he had
'I don't know Putin. He has said nice things about me'

"I dont know Putin. I have no idea," Mr Trump said. "I never met Putin. This is not my best friend."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7371061.html

But, reality says that Trump is a liar.

Quote:

Oct. 17, 2013

Trump tells David Letterman that he’s done “a lot of business with the Russians” and says they are “smart” and “tough” and that they don’t look “so dumb right now.” He calls Putin a “tough guy” and says that he “met him once.”

November 2013

Trump says he has a relationship with Vladimir Putin:

“I do have a relationship and I can tell you that he’s very interested in what we’re doing here today,” he said on MSNBC of the Miss Universe pageant. “He’s probably very interested in what you and I are saying today, and I’m sure he’s going to be seeing it in some form, but I do have a relationship with him and I think it’s very interesting to see what’s happened.”

April 12, 2014

Trump tells Fox Business’ Eric Bolling that Putin was nice to him during Miss Universe.

“We just left Moscow,” Trump said. “He could not have been nicer. He was so nice and so everything. But you have to give him credit that what he’s doing for that country in terms of their world prestige is very strong.”

In the same interview, Trump praises Putin’s invasion of Crimea.

“Well, he’s done an amazing job of taking the mantle,” Trump said. “And he’s taken it away from the President, and you look at what he’s doing. And so smart. When you see the riots in a country because they’re hurting the Russians, OK, ‘We’ll go and take it over.’ And he really goes step by step by step, and you have to give him a lot of credit.”

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/...ssia-timeline/

Putin has Trump by the strings.
Old 18th June 2017, 06:18 PM   #337
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by skyeagle409 View Post
Putin has Trump by the strings.
Strings? That's a new synonym for "testicles".
Old 18th June 2017, 07:32 PM   #338
SezMe
post-pre-born

Did you see any of the interviews Sekulow gave today? I wouldn't trust him to vet Trump's tweets.
I didn't pay attention to this guy until I saw his name in the clip you cited.

Holy ****, Jay is the Chief Counsel for the American Center for Law & Justice, a far right-wing organization that, among other things, pursues First Amendment cases involving religious rights. And by that I mean cases where the beleaguered, picked-upon, discriminated-against right-wing Christians claim that their fee-fees have been hurt by our secular society and, especially, atheists. His track record in such cases sucks banana balls.

His son, Jordan, is the Executive Director of that same organization. Jay apparently goes by the notion that nepotism is OK as long as it's kept in the family.

So loser President has a loser attorney. Seems about right.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 01:56 AM   #339
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Trump's advisers say Twitter is how he communicates with the people, that his tweets speak for themselves, and also to ignore his tweets.

They can't convince Trump's own spokescritter of that.

They can't even convince a Circuit Court of that.

Good luck convincing everyone else.
Old 19th June 2017, 02:03 AM   #340
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

ETA: This part between Chris Wallace and Sekulow is bonkers.

If you hire someone to be your legal mouthpiece, whose job is to issue the sort of obfuscation and doubletalk you want put out to the public to CYA, then it would be advisable to hire someone who is at least marginally plausible at it.

Trump needs to keep lawyer shopping, it seems.
Old 19th June 2017, 03:25 AM   #341
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Hopefully Trumpf gets a firing squad!!!!!!! After a short trial of he and flunkies and puppet masters.
Do you wish it ?
Old 20th June 2017, 01:43 PM   #342
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

That's the thing. Somehow I doubt that would be small enough.
This small bit of discussion has been truly lovely!!! Well done!!!!!!!!

Wash this space!

fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 01:46 PM   #343
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
No, trumpf is actually totally ballless. But, like any puppet he does have strings!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 20th June 2017, 01:48 PM   #344
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
Do you wish it ?
Expect it - especially the more he messes with the military!!!!

Wash this space!

Old 20th June 2017, 05:14 PM   #345
skyeagle409
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
No! Take notice that Trump does not confront Putin in regard to Putin's interference in the 2016 US presidential election, which is unacceptable. An adversary interfered in our election process and Trump fails to do the right thing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics