ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun incidents , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents

Old 26th June 2017, 06:48 PM   #801
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

If I may offer a rare totally cynical comment...

I wonder if the girlfriend Diamond Reynolds is going to challenge the family for some of that money. After all, she was in the car. And so was her girl.

Does she deserve some of it? I honestly think, yes.
Old 26th June 2017, 07:30 PM   #802
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

I think she's filed her own suit. Must go look.

"I never thought leopards would eat MY face", sobs the woman who voted for Leopards Eating People's Faces Party
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 07:36 PM   #803
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
If I may offer a rare totally cynical comment...

I wonder if the girlfriend Diamond Reynolds is going to challenge the family for some of that money. After all, she was in the car. And so was her girl.

Does she deserve some of it? I honestly think, yes.

Is there some reason to think she needs to?

Challenge them, that is?
Old 26th June 2017, 08:02 PM   #804
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
I dunno, personally... I think that when an armed police officer who you've just informed about your gun starts loudly and repeatedly screaming "don't reach for it! don't pull it out!" and then even goes so far as to reach into your car and try to stop your hand from getting where it's going... it's pretty clear that he wants you to halt all hand movements and keep your hands where he can see them.
He was probably moving his hands away from the gun.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM   #805
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Is there some reason to think she needs to?

Challenge them, that is?
My initial, cynical thought was "entitlement". But I think she would have a case with reckless endangerment for herself and her child.
Old Yesterday, 09:04 AM   #806
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My initial, cynical thought was "entitlement". But I think she would have a case with reckless endangerment for herself and her child.

What I was getting at is whether there is reason to believe the family is withholding any share of the settlement from her and the child.

Do we have reason to believe they are?
Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM   #807
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

At least we have the juries finding that knowing someone has a gun is a rational reason to be afraid of them. CCW's do invoke fear in people and that is found to be reasonable in court.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM   #808
Mumbles
Illuminator

Anyone want a pool on how long it takes Officer Yanez to get hired on by a different police dept. somewhere else?
I hope he takes his training to heart, and simply refuses to get involved in situations like this again, ever.

But...

He can show up again...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM   #809
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
At least we have the juries finding that knowing someone has a gun is a rational reason to be afraid of them. CCW's do invoke fear in people and that is found to be reasonable in court.

It would be better if that realization applied to parties beyond cops blowing away brown people while in a state of panic.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM   #810
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
I hope he takes his training to heart, and simply refuses to get involved in situations like this again, ever.

But...

He can show up again...

I'm going with more than a year, less than three.

He might have to take a short sabbatical as a mall rent-a-cop until the heat dies down.
Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM   #811
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It would be better if that realization applied to parties beyond cops blowing away brown people while in a state of panic.
But it is a reasonable panic. The jury said so.
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM   #812
Mumbles
Illuminator

I'm going with more than a year, less than three.

He might have to take a short sabbatical as a mall rent-a-cop until the heat dies down.
That's quite possibly true. I'd like to think that'd that we are at least win this restriction.

But sadly, you may absolutely correct.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM   #813
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

What are you basing your assertion that this case hinged on Mr. Castile's race on?

Your assertion that Officer Yanez's concern over his actions was connected to, or amplified by, his race?

Where's that coming from?

You realize Officer Yanez is also brown right?
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Reality is going to force you to become me.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM   #814
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
That's quite possibly true. I'd like to think that'd that we are at least win this restriction.

But sadly, you may absolutely correct.

Sheriff Clarke would probably hire him straight off. With a raise and a bonus, I expect.

Unless he's too busy trying to go to work for Trump.
Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM   #815
Mumbles
Illuminator

Sheriff Clarke would probably hire him straight off. With a raise and a bonus, I expect.

Unless he's too busy trying to go to work for Trump.
I'm sure that a-hole Clarke would. But he's absolutely evil - the exact person I want to kick out of any authority.

So...I guess look toward local elections?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events