ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th August 2017, 04:36 AM   #121
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sol88 View Post
And the dust is charged!

DENSITY AND CHARGE OF PRISTINE FLUFFY PARTICLES FROM COMET67P/CHURYUMOV–GERASIMENKO
Well that should not be a surprise, as that is what dust does in a plasma, which is veeeeeeery mainstream.

(Max Headroom)
follow me on twitter: @tusenfem, or follow Rosetta Plasma Consortium: @Rosetta_RPC
tusenfem is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 04:38 AM   #122
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

Did they mention how they arrived at that figure? <1kgm-3?
Read the paper and you may find out.

(Max Headroom)
follow me on twitter: @tusenfem, or follow Rosetta Plasma Consortium: @Rosetta_RPC
tusenfem is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 04:39 AM   #123
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

True?
you tell us, we have no idea where that quote comes from

(Max Headroom)
Old 12th August 2017, 04:40 AM   #124
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

So if the dust is being charged even in the diamagnetic cavity, how's that come about?
diamagnetic cavity has no magnetic field, but still has a bucketload of plasma

(Max Headroom)
Old 12th August 2017, 04:46 AM   #125
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
More pertinent, surely, is DD's question ... per the EC "theory", why do some asteroids have tails but most do not?

After all, this thread is about the EC, is it not?

And anyway, as an enthusiastic Comet Hunter, you already know the answers to your own question, don't you sol88? No need to be coy ...
Oh but we cannot ask questions about the EC, EC is true, and you know it!
To question is to doubt, to doubt is sinfull and the thunderbolts of the gods will smite you!

This thread started on 6 July 2009, and since then we have obtained not one direct answer of any of the EC (EU, ES) proponents on how things work in their version of the universe. I guess if you are not part of the incrowd you are not allowed to know. And I am not sure if Sol belongs to the incrowd, because he does not seem to be able to explain anything either, or he has signed a non-disclosure agreement with T&T.

(Max Headroom)
Old 12th August 2017, 04:53 AM   #126
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

No, the new assumptions are volatiles, including supervolitiles, can not remove the ubiquitous "dust' that we see in the COMA! On the nucleus we see granular material down to instruments resolution under that was impervious the MUPUS probe (well consolidated material)
This is a claim that Skorov makes, however, reading the conclusions of that paper, makes me wonder.

Originally Posted by skorov et al.
A way out of the impasse requires focusing on a revised common model assumption listed at the beginning of this section.
At the beginning of that section, however, are no common model assumptions listed, only what they calculated, but anywho.

This is a model, which has to be verified, not something to be taken as gospel as you seem to be doing right away.

(Max Headroom)
Old 12th August 2017, 05:39 AM   #127
Sol88
Master Poster

Jeantate, your questions are in this instance are irrelevant.

"No, never electric discharges" [Tusenfem]

Give up. Your idiocy knows no bounds. The electric comet woo is dead. R.I.P. [Jonesdave116]
Sol88 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:45 AM   #128
Sol88
Master Poster

Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
This is a claim that Skorov makes, however, reading the conclusions of that paper, makes me wonder.

At the beginning of that section, however, are no common model assumptions listed, only what they calculated, but anywho.

This is a model, which has to be verified, not something to be taken as gospel as you seem to be doing right away.
A few of those other papers mentioned further up also come to the same conclusion!

Give up. Your idiocy knows no bounds. The electric comet woo is dead. R.I.P. [Jonesdave116]
Sol88 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:48 AM   #129
Sol88
Master Poster

To question is to doubt, to doubt is sinfull and the thunderbolts of the gods will smite you!

This thread started on 6 July 2009, and since then we have obtained not one direct answer of any of the EC (EU, ES) proponents on how things work in their version of the universe. I guess if you are not part of the incrowd you are not allowed to know. And I am not sure if Sol belongs to the incrowd, because he does not seem to be able to explain anything either, or he has signed a non-disclosure agreement with T&T.
Oh please Tusenfem, I've known you long enough to know that you know what the ELECTRIC COMET model is and what the implications are.

Old 12th August 2017, 06:04 AM   #130
Sol88
Master Poster

Well that should not be a surprise, as that is what dust does in a plasma, which is veeeeeeery mainstream.
Oh wait, how is the energy getting there to charge all the dust up?

Oh, I see

Old 12th August 2017, 06:09 AM   #131
Sol88
Master Poster

diamagnetic cavity has no magnetic field, but still has a bucketload of plasma
which includes a complex dusty plasma?

And are you're the full bottle on current sheets, draped magnetic fields, flux ropes(in relation to comets), hell even double layers!

So let's talk about how that all comes together and works under the common cometary model...

Old 12th August 2017, 09:15 AM   #132
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

which includes a complex dusty plasma?

And are you're the full bottle on current sheets, draped magnetic fields, flux ropes(in relation to comets), hell even double layers!

So let's talk about how that all comes together and works under the common cometary model...
Uhhh ... no, I don't think so.

Over the last 8 years you have learned zilch about basic mainstream plasma physics. If you come up with weird questions like:

Goodness! YOU are the expert on the electric comet, so you tell us!

It is all quite easy in the mainstream (dusty) plasma physics, and I am sure it has been explained already a few times in this thread. So, the answer is still no, because it does not do any good, we can discuss, and I (and others) can explain, and you will say you "understand" and two pages on you will come up with the same question or the same debunked argument.

Why not ask T&T how it works and come back and explain it to us.

Have a great weekend.

(Max Headroom)
Old 12th August 2017, 09:25 AM   #133
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

Rosetta RPC just tweeted that:

Originally Posted by @Rosetta_RPC
Cool, Cyril Simon Wedlund et al. just published a paper in A&A: Hybrid modelling of cometary plasma environments I tinyurl.com/yao4zjkw
Full title is:
Hybrid modelling of cometary plasma environments
I. Impact of photoionisation, charge exchange, and electron ionisation on bow shock and cometopause at 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko

(Max Headroom)
Old 12th August 2017, 12:29 PM   #134
JeanTate
Graduate Poster

And may I ask, would you be so kind, please, to explain why they are irrelevant?

In some detail please.
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:33 PM   #135
JeanTate
Graduate Poster

Thanks tsf.

I've been reading along for some time, and it does seem that Sol88 comes across are rather ignorant of just what the EC theory is.

However, we did get a post or two by David Talbott, did we not? Maybe that was a difficult thread?
JeanTate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:38 PM   #136
JeanTate
Graduate Poster

Oh please Tusenfem, I've known you long enough to know that you know what the ELECTRIC COMET model is and what the implications are.
Tsf may - or may not - know what this thing is, and he may - or may not - know what "the implications" are.

However, I do not (not much anyway). And I'm pretty sure most readers don't either ... so why not take some time to give us all a summary of what you understand it to be?
Old 12th August 2017, 02:31 PM   #137
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JeanTate View Post
Thanks tsf.

I've been reading along for some time, and it does seem that Sol88 comes across are rather ignorant of just what the EC theory is.

However, we did get a post or two by David Talbott, did we not? Maybe that was a difficult thread?
Talbott appeared for about 2 weeks in december 2014

So I asked DT three questions and this is the non-answer that I was getting from the supposedly electric comet expert. Instead of getting an explanation, I got a list of what Rosetta scientists should be finding out for DT. Not ONE word that actually answered my simple questions. Something JeanTate also pointed out in post 2122.

Of course the best part is in post 2180, where DT tells us that: Seems to me that the point should be pretty clear by now. There is no electric comet model, just a hypothesis that deserves more than you've granted it so far.

Basically DT keeps on claiming, without any evidence of published papers, that: which is why comet scientists are moving increasingly toward an electrical understanding of this behavior. (e.g. post 2343)

Basically DT left us with the following message:
Okay I see this thread has now exploded into hopeless excess. However, my sketchy list of electric comet predictions has led to a number of comments and challenges that will be well worth integrating into the predictions themselves. Won't try to keep up with all the polemic excursions, but some of the comments on the wording of the predictions will be useful.

Is it appropriate to describe an active comet as "hot and dry? Yes, in the words of comet investigators responding to the Borrelly findings in 2001 (Deep Space 1 probe)

"The spectrum suggests that the surface is hot and dry. It is surprising that we saw no traces of water ice." Dr. Laurence Soderblom, U.S. Geological Survey

"No traces of water ice" is of course the reason why standard theorists were so surprised. And no sublimating ice is the background FACT leading to the "hot and dry" finding.

While I may change a few words in the predictions listed, my plan is to supplement each prediction with examples and a few illustrations. I expect to begin the Thunderbolts report this week, as a continuing blog. Of course, the excess of postings here of late did indeed slow me down a couple of days.

I can promise that, as the report continues, I will not ignore criticisms posted on this ISF thread.

A few more posts with little substance follow and on 10 December he is gone, without answering my three simple questions, nor anybody elses. Well, to be honest, he did answer some questions, but never the specific ones on the electric comet model hypothesis.

(Max Headroom)
Old 13th August 2017, 06:36 AM   #138
Sol88
Master Poster

Uhhh ... no, I don't think so.

Over the last 8 years you have learned zilch about basic mainstream plasma physics. If you come up with weird questions like:

Goodness! YOU are the expert on the electric comet, so you tell us!

It is all quite easy in the mainstream (dusty) plasma physics, and I am sure it has been explained already a few times in this thread. So, the answer is still no, because it does not do any good, we can discuss, and I (and others) can explain, and you will say you "understand" and two pages on you will come up with the same question or the same debunked argument.

Why not ask T&T how it works and come back and explain it to us.

Have a great weekend.
And that's the crux of the matter here is it not Tusenfem?

Sublimation is not required and indeed seems can not work as REQUIRED under the common model!

Old 13th August 2017, 07:13 AM   #139
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

And that's the crux of the matter here is it not Tusenfem?

Sublimation is not required and indeed seems can not work as REQUIRED under the common model!
Then please enlighten us how we get the outgassing water H2O and carbon(di)oxide CO and CO2 in the coma of the comet if sublimation is not required.
I guess some aliens just turn open the water taps?

(Max Headroom)
Old 13th August 2017, 07:31 AM   #140
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

For those really interested in the science of comets, if there is "no sublimation required" at the comet, then there will be no H2O, CO or CO2 around the comet.

If they are not around, then there can be no pick-up of newly formed ions in the solar wind magnetic field, which will slow down the solar wind (concervation of momentum) and hang-up the magnetic field lines around the comet, creating the cometary ion tail, as already explained by Alfven in 1957.

Apparently, there is a model now that discusses whether gas drag can remove dust particles from the surface of the comet or not. The authors claim that particles of 0.001 to 1 mm cannot always be removed from the surface by gas drag (I think because of cohesion, but this is not my specialty area, and i would have to read the paper better but not on a sunday).

Now, this seems to be, I guess, for Sol a confirmation that the electric comet hypothesis is correct. Not that any of the Rosetta instruments have actually observed the electric discharges that the EC needs, but hey, as we have seen from the Talbott discussion above, the EC is about making hypotheses and not about looking for evidence in any data.

(Max Headroom)
Old 13th August 2017, 08:35 AM   #141
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

For those really interested in the science of comets, if there is "no sublimation required" at the comet, then there will be no H2O, CO or CO2 around the comet.

If they are not around, then there can be no pick-up of newly formed ions in the solar wind magnetic field, which will slow down the solar wind (concervation of momentum) and hang-up the magnetic field lines around the comet, creating the cometary ion tail, as already explained by Alfven in 1957.
Exactly, even an assertion of "no sublimation required" does not necessitate an assertion of 'no sublimation present or expected'

Apparently, there is a model now that discusses whether gas drag can remove dust particles from the surface of the comet or not. The authors claim that particles of 0.001 to 1 mm cannot always be removed from the surface by gas drag (I think because of cohesion, but this is not my specialty area, and i would have to read the paper better but not on a sunday).
That's the impression I got from a quick read of the paper. Which is certainly not making an assertion of "no sublimation required", present or expected but simply that the gas drag appears insufficient in some modeling because of cohesion for larger (but detected) particles. Thing is, to address this particular aspect a quantitative EC model (if there ever is one that can at least in any way agree with observational evidence) would have to overcome the very same cohesive forces (provided those cohesive forces are themselves accurately modeled in this instance) for those larger particles.

Now, this seems to be, I guess, for Sol a confirmation that the electric comet hypothesis is correct. Not that any of the Rosetta instruments have actually observed the electric discharges that the EC needs, but hey, as we have seen from the Talbott discussion above, the EC is about making hypotheses and not about looking for evidence in any data.
Yep, why bother actually doing the quantitative work to compare with observational evidence when it just demonstrates the glaring lack of evidence.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:06 PM   #142
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Sol88: A lie about a imaginary "fatal problem" for the mainstream model

You (mainstream) have a fatal problem for the icy conglomerate model.
14 August 2017 Sol88: A lie about a imaginary "fatal problem" for the mainstream model.
A lying reply to 11 August 2017 Sol88: A lying comparison between Protopapa, et. al. and Skorov et. al.

Last edited by Reality Check; 13th August 2017 at 03:14 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:11 PM   #143
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation Sol88: Deep ignorance about what he quotes as usual

And the dust is where?
14 August 2017 Sol88: Deep ignorance about what he quotes as usual!
Water Ice and Dust in the Innermost Coma of Comet 103P/Hartley 2.
Quote:
One can compare the icy grains in comet Hartley 2, a hyperactive comet from which icy grains are apparently dragged out continuously by gaseous CO2, with the icy grains mechanically excavated from 10-20-m depths in the low-activity comet Tempel 1 [Sunshine et al., 2007], and with the icy grains excavated by the infrequent but large natural outbursts of comet Holmes [Yang et al., 2009]. In all three cases, the icy grains are relatively pure and dominated by particles of order 1 µm in size. Taken together this suggests that in most comets the ice in the interior of the nuclei is in the form of aggregates of relatively pure ice and that intimate mixtures of ice and refractories are rare. Furthermore, this implies that nuclei are commonly very porous, as suggested by the few bulk densities that have been determined and that aggregation models [e.g., Greenberg and Li, 1999] that call for grains with refractory cores, organic mantles, and icy crusts are generally inappropriate for comets.
This is a quote about icy grains so we do not expect the word "dust" in it! However "refractories" at the end of the quote is that dust! For example Refractory materials in comet samples is about the Stardust dust grains.

Last edited by Reality Check; 13th August 2017 at 03:13 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:28 PM   #144
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Sol88: Another lie about the Skorov et. al. (2017) paper.

No, the new assumptions are volatiles, including supervolitiles, can not remove the ubiquitous "dust' that we see in the COMA! ...
14 August 2017 Sol88: Another lie about the Skorov et. al. (2017) paper.
Skorov et. al. (2017) does not assume that volatiles cannot remove the dust we see in the coma. Skorov et. al. (2017) uses a computer model to show that for
  • 1 comet (67P)
  • at a close distance to the Sun (1.3 AU)
  • for 1 mechanism (gas dragging),
their model's cohesion between dust and ice "is not sufficient to remove dust grains of sizes <1 mm". What make this post into a lie is that we have observed dust jetting from the surface of 67P which Sol88 knows (read the thread!).
There is also empirical evidence that gas dragging did move dust into the coma of Comet 103P/Hartley 2.
11 August 2017 Sol88: A lying comparison between Protopapa, et. al. and Skorov et. al.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:35 PM   #145
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Exclamation Sol88: A ignorant citation of Hess et. al. which is obviously about Philae

SIMULATION OF THE ELECTROSTATIC CHARGING OF PHILAE ON 67P/CHURYUMOV-GERASIMENKO AND OF ITS INTERACTION WITH THE DUSTS.
14 August 2017 Sol88: A ignorant citation of Hess et. al. which is obviously about Philae and its dust environment, not comet coma.
In addition this is a conference presentation, not a published paper: Simulation of the electrostatic charging of Philae on 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko and of its interaction with the dusts.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:41 PM   #146
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Sol88: An ignorant fantasy about Skorov et. al which is not about outbursts

The Skorov papers model puts an interesting new spin on the The 2016 Feb 19 outburst of comet 67P/CG: an ESA Rosetta multi-instrument study paper.
14 August 2017 Sol88: An ignorant fantasy about Skorov et. al which is not about outbursts.
With:
14 August 2017 Sol88: The bad act of not giving a link to his source again!
The 19 Feb. 2016 Outburst of Comet 67P/CG: An ESA Rosetta Multi-Instrument Study

11 August 2017 Sol88: A lying comparison between Protopapa, et. al. and Skorov et. al.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:47 PM   #147
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Sol88: Debunks his comet are rocks delusion by citing a thermal lag paper

14 August 2017 Sol88: Debunks his comet are rocks delusion by citing a thermal lag paper !

And the dust is charged!
14 August 2017 Sol88: A "surprise" lie that dust from 67P is charged.
This has been in several papers that he knows about and explained with the basic physics that sunlight charges ice and dust grains.
Old 13th August 2017, 03:55 PM   #148
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Sol88: A lying question exposing his comets are rocks delusion yet again

How does that jive with the assumed bulk density?
14 August 2017 Sol88: A lying question exposing his comets are rocks delusion yet again.
The "assumed" is a lie. The measured mean density of 67P is 0.533 ± 0.006 g/cm3. 67P is not rock as in your delusion. The measured densities of comets are less than that of water and much less than that of rock. Comets are not rock as in your 8 year long delusion.
The density of dust grains alone says nothing about the bulk density of 67P.
Old 13th August 2017, 04:05 PM   #149
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Sol88: A derail from his comets are rock delusion to his ignorance about comets

So if the dust is being charged even in the diamagnetic cavity, how's that come about?
14 August 2017 Sol88: A derail from his comets are rock delusion to his ignorance about comets!
No effect on sunlight charging dust.
I suspect that the diamagnetic cavity could enhance dust charging. It is caused by the solar wind but no magnetic field implies less to stop the solar wind from interactions with dust and charging it.

Yes - Jets were quite active around perihelion and the irrelevant situation of when Rosetta would have been inside the diamagnetic cavity.

14 August 2017 Sol88: The repeated lie of putting ice in quotes.
14 August 2017 Sol88: The "MUPUS tried to hammer into rock" delusion raises its ugly head again!
Old 13th August 2017, 04:18 PM   #150
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Question Sol88: Comets are rocks so where did that rock come from

Oh dear:
14 August 2017 Sol88: A delusion that questions about the electric comet theory are irrelevant to a thread about the electric comet theory.
You are the one wanting to directly compare models. The first step is not to link to lying Thunderbolts pages about history. The first step is to fully cite the electric comet "model".

A simple question for you about the EC theory:
14 August 2017 Sol88: Comets are rocks so where did that rock come from?
Real scientists look at comets and measure their density to be less than water.
Real scientists look at comets and measure that they originate in the outer solar system.
Real scientists have scientific models for the formation of solar systems. They note that there is a lot of "left overs", especially in the outer system. These will be made of ices and dust. If they are perturbed so that they fall into the inner system then we have comets.

Are Thunderbolts real scientists or deluded cranks? Do they have a rational explanation for the origin of comets as rocks?

Last edited by Reality Check; 13th August 2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 13th August 2017, 09:46 PM   #151
Sol88
Master Poster

Just don't look thru the telescope Reality check and it'll all be good cobber!

Last edited by Sol88; 13th August 2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 13th August 2017, 09:52 PM   #152
Sol88
Master Poster

Reality check, question just for you old mate.

How much ice did Philes find? Specifically from the MUPUS experiment?

Please feel free to link to the relevant paper.

Old 13th August 2017, 10:02 PM   #153
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Sol88: Gibberish about not looking thru the telescope

Just don't look thru the telescope Reality check and it'll all be good cobber!
14 August 2017 Sol88: Gibberish about not looking thru the telescope.
Is this his ignorant fantasy that comets are rocks because he imagines images of comets to be rock?
Or an inability to read? My post before his was:
14 August 2017 Sol88: A delusion that questions about the electric comet theory are irrelevant to a thread about the electric comet theory.
14 August 2017 Sol88: Comets are rocks so where did that rock come from?
Old 13th August 2017, 10:15 PM   #154
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Sol88: An ignorant question about Philae emphasizes 8 years of delusion

How much ice did Philes find?
An ignorant question as a reply to
14 August 2017 Sol88: A derail from his comets are rock delusion to his ignorance about comets!
14 August 2017 Sol88: The "MUPUS tried to hammer into rock" delusion raises its ugly head again!

14 August 2017 Sol88: An ignorant question about Philae emphasizes 8 years of delusion that comets are rock.
Philae measured that the ice it landed on (under a dust layer) was too hard for MUPUS to penetrate deeply. It is not your ignorant "how much", it is the properties of the surface of a comet made of ices and dust.
Quote:
Data from the SESAME instrument determined that, rather than being "soft and fluffy" as expected, Philae's first touchdown site held a large amount of water ice under a layer of granular material about 25 cm (9.8 in) deep.[55]
That Wikipedia citation is to Surprising Comet Discoveries by Rosetta's Philae Lander Unveiled which actually does not mention SESAME.
Sol88 will go crazy over this quote !
Philae
Quote:
This area was determined to have the consistency of solid ice[56][57] or pumice.[58]

Last edited by Reality Check; 13th August 2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 14th August 2017, 04:25 AM   #155
Sol88
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
An ignorant question as a reply to

14 August 2017 Sol88: An ignorant question about Philae emphasizes 8 years of delusion that comets are rock.
Philae measured that the ice it landed on (under a dust layer) was too hard for MUPUS to penetrate deeply. It is not your ignorant "how much", it is the properties of the surface of a comet made of ices and dust.

That Wikipedia citation is to Surprising Comet Discoveries by Rosetta's Philae Lander Unveiled which actually does not mention SESAME.
Sol88 will go crazy over this quote !
Philae
But what they did find was
Quote:
The lack of progress into the subsurface can be interpreted as being caused by a near-surface layer of a strength the PEN was not capable of penetrating.
wow how long do you have to go to university to work that out!

Righto, since you're obviously incapable of using your own grey matter here is how they "confirmed" ice.

From the paper Thermal and mechanical properties of the near-surface layers of comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko T. Spohn,1* J. Knollenberg,1 A. J. Ball,2 M. Banaszkiewicz,3 J. Benkhoff,2 M. Grott,1 J. Grygorczuk,3 C. Hüttig,1 A. Hagermann,4 G. Kargl,5 E. Kaufmann,4 N. Kömle,5 E. Kührt,1 K. J. Kossacki,6 W. Marczewski,3 I. Pelivan,1 R. Schrödter,1 K. Seiferlin

Quote:
Snip gibberish
Bloody iPad won't copy and paste nicely. I'll try and clean it up when I can get behind a real computer

But the jist is it is ASSUMED to be ice BECAUSE that's what the common model(whipples) said it MUST be , ice.

So no ice was observed.

So....MUPUS Rears its ugly head again for a reason

Last edited by Agatha; 21st August 2017 at 06:13 AM.
Old 14th August 2017, 04:28 AM   #156
Sol88
Master Poster

So how does the h2o, co2, co gas sublimating under a very good thermally insulating dust granular layer to do its thing thru something as hard as rock ice?

Last edited by Sol88; 14th August 2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 14th August 2017, 05:12 AM   #157
Sol88
Master Poster

@Tusenfem, would you happen to know if Holger Sierks is still in the game?

Gone quite on the OSIRIS front, now all the "looking" is done and dusted.

Old 14th August 2017, 06:45 AM   #158
The Man
Scourge, of the supernatural

So how does the h2o, co2, co gas sublimating under a very good thermally insulating dust granular layer to do its thing thru something as hard as rock ice?
You assert "how" yourself, by "sublimating". As a direct phase change from solid to gas the molecular degrees of freedom are significantly increased resulting in a profound reduction in hardness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardness

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...tic/eqpar.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree...om_(mechanics)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degree...and_chemistry)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...rmo/phase.html

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airplane/state.html

As hardness is a function of the intermolecular forces...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intermolecular_force

...and a gaseous state is where those intermolecular forces are the weakest compared to the forces resulting from the thermal energy of the material then hardness is specifically and detrimentally affected.

Those intermolecular forces also result in the cohesion mentioned in the pervious paper.

If your question has more, equal or even less to do with the assertion of a "very good thermally insulating dust granular layer" than the impact [pun intended] of sublimation on hardness. Thermal insulation, even "good" thermal insulation (however you are quantifying that), can only slow down the transfer of thermal energy, it can't stop it. Solid materials (like rock) tend to conduct thermal energy so the best insulators are materials with small pockets or gaps. These gaps reduce the conduction and can be gas filled if their size is small enough to prevent convection of the gas. Even with vacuum gaps thermal energy can still transfer as infrared radiation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_insulation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conduction

Again the intermolecular forces and resulting degrees of freedom of the molecular structure of a solid material determine how well it conducts thermal energy.

Last edited by The Man; 14th August 2017 at 06:46 AM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 08:38 AM   #159
tusenfem
Graduate Poster

@Tusenfem, would you happen to know if Holger Sierks is still in the game?
how about you answering my questions first, before I answer any of yours

(Max Headroom)
Old 14th August 2017, 01:55 PM   #160
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing

Thumbs down Sol88: Two lies about a Spohn & Ball paper.

But what they did find was...
15 August 2017 Sol88: Two lies about a Spohn & Ball paper.
Thermal and mechanical properties of the near-surface layers of comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko
Quote:
Abstract
Thermal and mechanical material properties determine comet evolution and even solar system formation because comets are considered remnant volatile-rich planetesimals. Using data from the Multipurpose Sensors for Surface and Sub-Surface Science (MUPUS) instrument package gathered at the Philae landing site Abydos on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko, we found the diurnal temperature to vary between 90 and 130 K. The surface emissivity was 0.97, and the local thermal inertia was 85 ± 35 J m(-2) K(-1)s(-1/2). The MUPUS thermal probe did not fully penetrate the near-surface layers, suggesting a local resistance of the ground to penetration of >4 megapascals, equivalent to >2 megapascal uniaxial compressive strength. A sintered near-surface microporous dust-ice layer with a porosity of 30 to 65% is consistent with the data.
Firstly, Sol88 lies about a layer of ices & dust being an assumption when the authors test to see if the data matches a high porosity dust-ice layer.
Secondly, Sol88 lies about the authors blindly following Whipple's model. The authors are not so ignorant and deluded to think that comets are rocks. They know the measured density of comets. They especially know the measured density of 67P !

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology