ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags artificial intelligence , consciousness , Edward Witten , Max Tegmark

Reply
Old 5th August 2017, 12:08 AM   #1
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Artificial Intelligence Research: Supermathematics and Physics

Part A - Artificial Intelligence and human-kind, in 2 sentences.

Artificial Intelligence is unavoidably exceeding humans in cognitive tasks, and some projections observe human level brain power in artificial machines/software by at least 2020 (Wikipedia exascale computing source).

Artificial Intelligence is already solving many of human kind's problems.


Part B - Crucial difference between Edward and Tegmark

Edward Witten is quite the human being/physicist.

Max Tegmark is also, quite the human/cosmologist.

Both have phd physics degrees.

The urgent difference?

(1) Max presents consciousness as a mathematical problem... Although Max Tegmark is not an artificial intelligence pioneer nor is officially trained as an artificial intelligence researcher, Max is already contributing important work, helping to organize the theory of deep learning (A hot paradigm in Artificial Intelligence now).

A sample of Max's AI work:https://arxiv.org/abs/1608.08225

Max describing consciousness as a mathematical problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzCvlFRISIM


(2) Edward Witten believes we will never truly understand consciousness...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUW7n_h7MvQ

https://futurism.com/human-level-ai-...han-you-think/


Part C - How components approached by Edward's genius applies in AI today

Edward Witten's work concerns some deep stuff on manifolds. (Sample:
https://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9411102)

In artificial intelligence, models are observed to be doing some form of manifold representation, especially in the euclidean regime. (And are already demonstrated to be strong candidates for 'disentangling problems' of which many problem spaces occur)

As an unofficial AI researcher myself, I am working on AI, as it relates to super-manifolds.(I recently invented something called 'thought curvature', involving yet another invention of mine called the 'supermanifold hypothesis in deep learning', built atop Yoshua Bengio's manifold work)

So I happen to have a brief, concise description somewhere, where manifolds are shown to non-trivially relate to artificial intelligence (you can see also Deep Learning book by bengio, or Chris Olah's manifold explanation):


Points maintain homeomorphisms, such that for any point p under a transition T on some transformation/translation (pertinently continuous, inverse function) t, p0 (p before T) is a bijective inverse for p1 (p after T); on t.

Following the above, topologies maintain homeomorphisms, for any collection of points W (eg a matrix of weights), under some transition T on some transformation/translation sequence (pertinently continuous, inverse functions) s, W0(W before T) is a bijective inverse for W1(W after T); on s, where for any representation of W, determinants are non-zero.

Now, topological homeomorphisms maintain, until linear separation/de-tangling, if and only if neural network dimension is sufficient (3 hidden units at minimum, for 2 dimensional W)

Otherwise, after maintaining homeomorphism at some point, while having insufficient dimension, or insufficient neuron firing per data unit, in non-ambient isotopic topologies that satisfy NOTE(ii): W shall eventually yield zero determinant, thus avoiding linear separation/de-tangling. At zero determinant, unique solutions for scalar multiplications dissolve, when the matrix becomes non-continuous, or non-invertible.

NOTE(i): The state of being "ENTANGLED" is the point before which some de-tangleable classes are de-tangled/made linearly separable.

NOTE(ii): Unique solutions in matrices are outcomes that resemble data sets; for homeomorphisms (topologies: where zero-determinant continuous invertible transformations/translations engender OR ambient isotopies: where positive/nonsingular determinants, nueron permutations, and 1 hidden unit minimum occurs, i.e for 1-dimensional manifold, 4 dimensions are required)

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-Ma...rdan-Bennett-9





Some months ago, I had personally contacted Witten, advising him that his genius could apply in AI. (No response though)

Why does Edward Witten allow his belief (as shown in the video above) to block himself from possibly considerably contributing to artificial intelligence, one of human-kind's most profound tools, even despite contrasting evidence that manifolds apply in machine learning?


///

Mod WarningI have edited this post. The original made excessive use of large fonts and of white space and rose to the level where its formatting was disruptive to the forum. Don't do that. The approach didn't work for Time Cube, and it is not acceptable here.

By the way, the mix of bold, highlight, and red are problematic, too. Let's be more conservative in our typography, please.
Posted By:jsfisher

Last edited by jsfisher; 5th August 2017 at 09:14 AM.
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 12:43 AM   #2
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,688
Isn't there already a thread on this stuff?
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 01:02 AM   #3
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Isn't there already a thread on this stuff?
Where else ... entailing Witten and Artificial Intelligence, and belief?
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 01:48 AM   #4
GlennB
In search of pi(e)
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pie City, Arcadia
Posts: 21,064
Why the huge fonts, bolding and colours?
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 02:28 AM   #5
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Why the huge fonts, bolding and colours?
Understanding the readability of colored text by crowd-sourcing on the Web:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2009/HPL-2009-182.pdf
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 03:06 AM   #6
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Typo correction de-tangleable, de-tangled (in Spoiler):

Correction 1: unentangleable
Correction 2: unentangled

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 5th August 2017 at 03:09 AM.
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 05:47 AM   #7
GlennB
In search of pi(e)
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pie City, Arcadia
Posts: 21,064
Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
Understanding the readability of colored text by crowd-sourcing on the Web:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/techreports/2009/HPL-2009-182.pdf
That's about coloured text on a coloured background. Here the background is white.
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 07:00 AM   #8
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 645

I find it hard to take anything you write seriously when this is the kind of thing you use to illustrate your arguments. It looks like it was scribbled by a 3 year old.

It behooves you to illustrate your work with proper diagrams if you want your readers to engage with you. Putting a diagram like *that* makes it look like you're just not trying and don't care to communicate effectively with your readers.

Inkscape (https://inkscape.org/en/) is free and will allow you to draw proper diagrams. Maybe try learning it and using it.

Last edited by jsfisher; 13th August 2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Reduced image width
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 07:42 AM   #9
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,688
Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
Where else ... entailing Witten and Artificial Intelligence, and belief?
Pick one. They all make about the same amount of sense.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...archid=4078957
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 07:45 AM   #10
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,688
Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post


Some months ago, I had personally contacted Witten, advising him that his genius could apply in AI. (No response though)
Perhaps he's a member here?...............................
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 07:50 AM   #11
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 13,439
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Why the huge fonts, bolding and colours?
For some reason this type of formatting is required of this type of post. I don't know why, but it seems fairly standard for arguments that seek to challenge accepted science with a strange theory proposed by a "under appreciated" genius (often the poster themself, although apparently not in this case).

Last edited by Giordano; 5th August 2017 at 07:54 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 08:40 AM   #12
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Pick one. They all make about the same amount of sense.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...archid=4078957
That search returns an empty result.

Anyway, where else is a thread concerning Witten, Artificial Intelligence, and Consciousness supposedly posted?
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 08:53 AM   #13
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
For some reason this type of formatting is required of this type of post. I don't know why, but it seems fairly standard for arguments that seek to challenge accepted science with a strange theory proposed by a "under appreciated" genius (often the poster themself, although apparently not in this case).
(1) The genius I especially underlined in the original post, is Witten.

(2) A degree of math of manifolds, is already apart of machine learning. (So no need for 'challenging accepted science')
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 11:17 AM   #14
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 22,739
Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
That's about coloured text on a coloured background. Here the background is white.
Or black, if you're using an alternative Tapatalk theme. In general, it is a good principle of web design to let the user control things like text and background color.

This signature is intended to irradiate people.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 12:47 PM   #15
hecd2
Muse
 
hecd2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 692
This is a good example of how the exotic colours and fonts detract from the content as that's what we've ended up talking about.

And the margins are busted again.
hecd2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2017, 04:04 PM   #16
JesseCuster
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 645
Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
However, the spoiler image's style was sufficient.
Sufficient for what? It's an ugly amateurish mess of an image. I thought Ft1 was FTL so I thought at first it had something to do with faster than light travel. The bit in the middle just looks like some random squiggly lines.

I guarantee that lots of people aren't even going to attempt to make sense of such a mess of a diagram.

Yet you consider it 'sufficient'?

Note that all you've done with your weirdly formatted posts and badly drawn diagrams is help derail the thread into a discussion about how your posts are formatted. That shows you that they are not sufficient, because they're not achieving the goal of communicating to your audience.

Unless, of course, it's your goal to open up a discussion about weirdly formatted internet posts.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 07:00 PM   #17
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,305
Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
...Some months ago, I had personally contacted Witten, advising him that his genius could apply in AI. (No response though
Lots of nonsense and then you shoot yourself in the foot !
A reason that scientists and mathematicians do not answer every email is that they have filters in place to weed out irrelevant emails, especially from physics and math cranks. Thus your email was probably either irrelevant to Edward Witten or suggested a contact from a physics and math crank. If it was anything like your OP the latter is probable.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 07:18 PM   #18
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,305
Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
...manifolds are empirically observed to apply in machine learning:
There is a manifold hypothesis that has theoretical and experimental support as you cited.
Neural Networks, Manifolds, and Topology
Quote:
The manifold hypothesis is that natural data forms lower-dimensional manifolds in its embedding space. There are both theoretical3 and experimental4 reasons to believe this to be true. If you believe this, then the task of a classification algorithm is fundamentally to separate a bunch of tangled manifolds.
Deep Learning does not mention manifolds in the table of contents you linked to. Manifolds appear at the end of the MACHINE LEARNING BASICS chapter with section 5.11.3 Manifold Learning (page 159).
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 07:26 PM   #19
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,305
You posted some ignorant math word salad on academia.edu. Starts with the title ("Causal Neural Paradox (Thought Curvature): Aptly, the transient, naive hypothesis") and gets worse from there.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2017, 07:28 PM   #20
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,968
I can psychically sense that this manifold destiny is doomed therefore I don't need to provide evidence for this intuitive conclusion.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2017, 01:44 AM   #22
fagin
Illuminator
 
fagin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: As far away from casebro as possible.
Posts: 4,688
Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Isn't there already a thread on this stuff?
Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
Where else ... entailing Witten and Artificial Intelligence, and belief?
Thank you. I couldn't be bothered.

Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
__________________
There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:08 PM   #23
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by RealityCheck
Deep Learning does not mention manifolds in the table of contents you linked to. Manifolds appear at the end of the MACHINE LEARNING BASICS chapter with section 5.11.3 Manifold Learning (page 159).
PART A


Why bother to comment, given that manifolds are indeed contained in the Deep Learning Book I presented?

Perhaps you had initially commented the highlighted portion, without first reading the book, and because you didn't observe manifolds in the table of contents, you expressed the highlighted portion.

Since manifolds are indeed found in the book, as I had expressed, why bother to express the underlined portion, or better yet, why bother to comment on it at all, (especially when it is clear that I had been valid, in presenting that manifolds..and other related data were in the book)?

Does your capitalizing 'MACHINE LEARNING BASICS' signify something?

Why don't you think a bit longer before posting?




PART B
What has your presentation above to do with the question posed in the original post?
Could you care to attempt to approach the question posed?

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 12th August 2017 at 04:54 PM.
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:09 PM   #24
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by RealityCheck
You posted some ignorant math word salad on academia.edu. Starts with the title ("Causal Neural Paradox (Thought Curvature): Aptly, the transient, naive hypothesis") and gets worse from there.

PART A
Look, if you can finally provide scientific evidence as to why the standard math in (thought curvature) is supposedly invalid, do so.

Otherwise what is the point of blathering on absent evidence?

Prediction: RealityCheck shall blather on absent evidence.


PART B
What has your presentation above to do with the question posed in the original post?
Could you care to attempt to approach the question posed?

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 12th August 2017 at 04:55 PM.
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:12 PM   #25
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by RealityCheck
Lots of nonsense and then you shoot yourself in the foot !
A reason that scientists and mathematicians do not answer every email is that they have filters in place to weed out irrelevant emails, especially from physics and math cranks. Thus your email was probably either irrelevant to Edward Witten or suggested a contact from a physics and math crank. If it was anything like your OP the latter is probable.
PART A

Here are the contents of my email to Witten:


Very simple, perhaps too simple?

Edit: Looking back now, perhaps my profile gmail picture was non-desirable.



PART B

Anyway, it is not merely that Edward Witten fails to do what I suggest, but instead, that manifolds are empirically observed to apply in machine learning, and he doesn't select to approach that field, even despite the contrasting manifold AI based evidence.

Physicists aim to unravel the cosmos' mysteries, and so it is a mystery as to why Witten would select not to partake amidst the active machine learning field, especially given that:

(1) AI is one of mankind's most profound tools.

(2) AI is already performing nobel prize level tasks, very very efficiently.

(3) AI may need only be mankind's last invention.

Last edited by jsfisher; 13th August 2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Reduced image width
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:16 PM   #26
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by RealityCheck
Why bother to ignore evidence?

(1)
No where had I supposedly stated that "all supermanifolds are locally Euclidean".

In fact, my earlier post (which preceded your accusation above) clearly expressed that "Supermanifold may encode as 'essentially flat euclidean super space' fabric".

No where above expresses that all supermanifolds were locally euclidean. Why bother to lie?



(2)
Anyway, as I had expressed then, they can be observed to possess some flat Riemannian metric, which entail locally euclidean description.

At any cost, the evidence above already showed your comments to be false.

Originally Posted by RealityCheck
Look, instead of your lies (as demonstrated above), and invalid references (that are built atop the lies), you could just simply demonstrate which part of the math is invalid.

Do that or blather on absent evidence.



FOOTNOTE
What has your presentation above to do with the question posed in the original post?
Could you care to attempt to approach the question posed?

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 12th August 2017 at 04:54 PM.
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:20 PM   #27
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by faqin
Originally Posted by faqin
Isn't there already a thread on this stuff?
Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan
Where else ... entailing Witten and Artificial Intelligence, and belief?
Thank you. I couldn't be bothered.
PART A
And still yet, there is no other thread here, regarding Edward Witten, entailing Manifolds and Machine Learning.

The unavoidable point is that, there is empirical evidence in machine learning, that manifolds apply. (as evidenced in the original post).

RealityCheck's posts (invalid albeit) about my personal work on manifolds/AI don't change the above fact.


PART B
Did you notice that RealityCheck avoided the query in the original post, merely executing cross post information? (where he had long been shown to be invalid, based on publicly available data)
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:22 PM   #28
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
http://i.imgur.com/cfBsLTD.png
I find it hard to take anything you write seriously when this is the kind of thing you use to illustrate your arguments. It looks like it was scribbled by a 3 year old.

It behooves you to illustrate your work with proper diagrams if you want your readers to engage with you. Putting a diagram like *that* makes it look like you're just not trying and don't care to communicate effectively with your readers.

Inkscape (https://inkscape.org/en/) is free and will allow you to draw proper diagrams. Maybe try learning it and using it.
Consider the contents of the spoiler presented in the original post:


Points maintain homeomorphisms, such that for any point p under a transition T on some transformation/translation (pertinently continuous, inverse function) t, p0 (p before T) is a bijective inverse for p1 (p after T); on t.

Following the above, topologies maintain homeomorphisms, for any collection of points W (eg a matrix of weights), under some transition T on some transformation/translation sequence (pertinently continuous, inverse functions) s, W0(W before T) is a bijective inverse for W1(W after T); on s, where for any representation of W, determinants are non-zero.

Now, topological homeomorphisms maintain, until linear separation/de-tangling, if and only if neural network dimension is sufficient (3 hidden units at minimum, for 2 dimensional W)

Otherwise, after maintaining homeomorphism at some point, while having insufficient dimension, or insufficient neuron firing per data unit, in non-ambient isotopic topologies that satisfy NOTE(ii) W shall eventually yield zero determinant, thus avoiding linear separation/unentangling. At zero determinant, unique solutions for scalar multiplications dissolve, when the matrix becomes non-continuous, or non-invertible.

NOTE(i): Entangled is the point before which some unentangleable classes are unentangled/made linearly separable.

NOTE(ii): Unique solutions in matrices are outcomes that resemble data sets; for homeomorphisms (topologies: where zero-determinant continuous invertible transformations/translations engender OR ambient isotopies: where positive/nonsingular determinants, nueron permutations, and 1 hidden unit minimum occurs, i.e for 1-dimensional manifold, 4 dimensions are required)

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-Ma...rdan-Bennett-9
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:24 PM   #29
C_Felix
Master Poster
 
C_Felix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Just outside Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,460
Betteridge's law of headlines is one name for an adage that states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better...w_of_headlines
__________________
Eqinsu Ocha!
Eqinsu Ocha!
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 04:53 PM   #30
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Betteridge's law of headlines is one name for an adage that states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better...w_of_headlines
Regardless, be it one or a thousand words, prior responders, (and you too) are yet to approach the question.
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 02:17 PM   #31
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,305
Thumbs down ProgrammingGodJordan: The OP has an idiotic, strawman question

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
...
Inanely formatted, insulting post not worthy of quoting. Without your irrelevant highlighting of my post:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Deep Learning does not mention manifolds in the table of contents you linked to. Manifolds appear at the end of the MACHINE LEARNING BASICS chapter with section 5.11.3 Manifold Learning (page 159).
I pointed out that your link was ignorant about the book you cited and stopped people wasting their time searching the book for the appropriate page.

Since you want it:
14 August 2017 ProgrammingGodJordan: The OP has an idiotic, strawman question because it is ignorant about Edward Witten.
Edward Witten is not an AI researcher . The manifolds he studies are those of mathematical physics, e.g. as used in General Relativity.
Edward Witten is probably ignoring your email as one from the many Internet cranks that he receives.
An error about what Edward Witten's opinion. What you quote is the title of Reaching Singularity: Physicist Asserts We Will Never Truly Understand Consciousness written by an editor or reporter.
Quote:
In an interview with journalist Wim Kayzer, Witten had this to say about our understanding of consciousness:
“Biologists and perhaps physicists will understand much better how the brain works. But why something that we call consciousness goes with those workings, I think that will remain mysterious. I have a much easier time imagining how we understand the Big Bang than I have imagining how we can understand consciousness…

Understanding the function of the brain is a very exciting problem in which probably there will be a lot of progress during the next few decades. That’s not out of reach. But I think there probably will remain a level of mystery regarding why the brain is functioning in the ways that we can see it, why it creates consciousness or whatever you want to call it. How it functions in the way a conscious human being functions will become clear. But what it is we are experiencing when we are experiencing consciousness, I see as remaining a mystery…

Perhaps it won’t remain a mystery if there is a modification in the laws of physics as they apply to the brain. I think that’s very unlikely. I am skeptical that it’s going to be a part of physics.”
His opinion that it is a waste of time in physics to study consciousness is a probable reason why he does not study consciousness !

Last edited by Reality Check; 13th August 2017 at 02:20 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 02:30 PM   #32
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,305
Thumbs down ProgrammingGodJordan: Ignorant math word salad on academia.edu (gibberish title, etc)

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
Look, if you can finally provide scientific evidence as to why the standard math ...
Look at the ignorance of thinking that math is based on "scientific evidence"! What you have is ignorance of mathematics and math gibberish as in a couple of threads.
27 March 2017: A basic point about supermanifolds is they are not actually Euclidean locally.
A more complete explanation of how supermanifolds are not locally Euclidean
24 March 2017 ProgrammingGodJordan: A valid hypothesis is not incoherent math word salad as I pointed out yesterday.
31 March 2017 ProgrammingGodJordan: A web page about a subset of supermanifolds does not state that all supermanifolds are locally Euclidean.

8 August 2017 ProgrammingGodJordan: Ignorant math word salad on academia.edu (gibberish title and worse contents).

Last edited by Reality Check; 13th August 2017 at 02:33 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 02:54 PM   #34
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,305
ProgrammingGodJordan]: Still does not understand what makes his math gibberish

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
No where had I supposedly stated that "all supermanifolds are locally Euclidean".
14 August 2017 ProgrammingGodJordan: Still does not understand what makes his math gibberish!
The definition of a supermanifold means that no supermanifold can be locally Euclidean.
There is a subset of supermanifolds that are locally super Euclidean. That means that they have a symmetry group that has operation analogous to the symmetry of Euclidean space. This subset is labeled Euclidean supermanifolds.

Your notation makes your makes gibberish.
14 August 2017 ProgrammingGodJordan: " C(Rn)" is not the mathematical notation for any manifold which is M.
For example (what you have read and cited before!): A supermanifold M of dimension (p,q) ...
Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
I'd have written "problems", plural, but I'll respond with just one because you wrote the singular.

In your image, you wrote:

C is the set of infinitely differentiable functions, which is not usually regarded as a Euclidean space.

Perhaps you meant the topological space obtained by taking an infinite product of the complex numbers with the standard product topology, but that is not usually regarded as a Euclidean space either.

Then there's the question of what you might have meant by writing C(Rn), but (depending on what you meant by C) that might well be regarded as a second problem, so I won't bother to mention it or any other problems I may have detected.

Last edited by Reality Check; 13th August 2017 at 02:56 PM.
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:00 PM   #35
Reality Check
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 20,305
Thumbs down ProgrammingGodJordan: Irrelevant math gibberish is not a spoiler

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
Consider the contents of the spoiler presented in the original post:
14 August 2017 ProgrammingGodJordan: More irrelevant math that looks like gibberish is not a spoiler because you have shown that you can write math gibberish since 24 March 2017.
24 March 2017: W.D.Clinger (a mathematician) points out one of many problems in your math
Reality Check is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 03:39 PM   #36
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,317
I think that the ISF should create another forum award, named in honor of the op:

The PGJ Gobbledygook Medal.

I have yet to encounter this level of impenetrable technobabble in any other venue.

There's a very good reason why Witten did not respond to PGJ's email.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:10 PM   #37
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by BStrong
I think that the ISF should create another forum award, named in honor of the op:

The PGJ Gobbledygook Medal.

I have yet to encounter this level of impenetrable technobabble in any other venue.

There's a very good reason why Witten did not respond to PGJ's email.
You may recognize science as 'gobbledegook', but science is not gobbledygook.

Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan
It is unavoidable that manifolds are applicable in machine learning, and such is science.

Last edited by jsfisher; 13th August 2017 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Reduced image width.
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:23 PM   #38
ProgrammingGodJordan
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Jamaica
Posts: 1,718
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Inanely formatted, insulting post not worthy of quoting. Without your irrelevant highlighting of my post:

I pointed out that your link was ignorant about the book you cited and stopped people wasting their time searching the book for the appropriate page.
Your response above is demonstrably false; that manifolds are indeed contained in the Deep Learning Book I presented, is unavoidable.


Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
Since you want it:
14 August 2017 ProgrammingGodJordan: The OP has an idiotic, strawman question because it is ignorant about Edward Witten.
Edward Witten is not an AI researcher . The manifolds he studies are those of mathematical physics, e.g. as used in General Relativity.
Edward Witten is probably ignoring your email as one from the many Internet cranks that he receives.
An error about what Edward Witten's opinion. What you quote is the title of Reaching Singularity: Physicist Asserts We Will Never Truly Understand Consciousness written by an editor or reporter.

His opinion that it is a waste of time in physics to study consciousness is a probable reason why he does not study consciousness !
No where had I mentioned that Edward Witten was an officially trained artificial intelligence researcher.

...but neither is Max Tegmark, another physicist.

In fact, I underlined that Tegmark was not officially trained AI researcher, but Tegmark presents consciousness as a mathematical problem, and has already contributed important work in machine learning, while Witten unavoidably presented his belief regarding consciousness as a likely never solvable phenomenon:

Originally Posted by OriginalPost

Edward Witten is quite the human being/physicist.

Max Tegmark is also, quite the human/cosmologist.

Both have phd physics degrees.

The urgent difference?

(1) Max presents consciousness as a mathematical problem... Although Max Tegmark is not an artificial intelligence pioneer nor is officially trained as an artificial intelligence researcher, Max is already contributing important work, helping to organize the theory of deep learning (A hot paradigm in Artificial Intelligence now).

A sample of Max's AI work:https://arxiv.org/abs/1608.08225

Max describing consciousness as a mathematical problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzCvlFRISIM


(2) Edward Witten believes we will never truly understand consciousness...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUW7n_h7MvQ

It is noteworthy that physicists aim to unravel the cosmos' mysteries, and so it is a mystery as to why Witten would select not to partake amidst the active machine learning field, especially given that:

(1) Manifolds apply non-trivially in machine learning.

(2) AI is one of mankind's most profound tools.

(3) AI is already performing nobel prize level tasks, very very efficiently.

(4) AI may need only be mankind's last invention.

Last edited by ProgrammingGodJordan; 13th August 2017 at 04:59 PM.
ProgrammingGodJordan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:46 PM   #39
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 10,317
Quote:
=ProgrammingGodJordan;11956066

snipped...

(1) Manifolds apply non-trivially in machine learning.

(1) AI is one of mankind's most profound tools.

(2) AI is already performing nobel prize level tasks, very very efficiently.

(3) AI may need only be mankind's last invention.
Two One's never make a Right.

AI re-created what had already been done. The little gizmo didn't stay up all night working on it's own volition.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus

Last edited by BStrong; 13th August 2017 at 04:49 PM.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:51 PM   #40
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing
 
John Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Iowa USA
Posts: 11,374
Originally Posted by ProgrammingGodJordan View Post
Once more, why bother to ignore evidence?

[...]?
You haven't learned **** from shinola after all this time. I'm suspecting dain bramage.
__________________
Credibility is not a boomerang. If you throw it away, it's not coming back.
John Jones is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.