ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 12th August 2017, 05:28 AM   #1721
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,456
This will put an end to esspee's preposterous Flyboard Air is fake fantasy....

http://www.lavanguardia.com/local/ma...rd-zapata.html

Zapata will be demonstrating Flyboard Air at the 2017 Barcelona Air Show....

La Festa al Cel, el festival aeronáutico que dejó de celebrarse el año pasado tras la negativa del gobierno municipal de Mataró por razones económicas, toma ahora un nuevo impulso en la principal población turística del Maresme, Santa Susanna. Hasta el momento, los organizadores tienen confirmada la parrilla de participantes con destacadas novedades como los llamados “hombres voladores”. El director del evento aeronáutico, Daniel Ventura, confirma el concurso de Jetman Dubai, el piloto volador con alas a reacción y el monopatín propulsor acuático Flyboard Air de Franky Zapata entre los días 20 y 24 de septiembre.

A rough translation by my very limited Spanish....

The Festa al Cel Air Show, which was cancelled last year by the municipal government of Mataró for economic reasons, now takes a new direction (?) in the tourist town of Maresme, Santa Susanna. So far, the organizers have confirmed the list of participants with outstanding news that the so-called "flying men" will be there. Air Show director Daniel Ventura, has confirmed that the Jetman of Dubai, the flying pilot with reaction (?) wings and water hoverboard driver (?) Franky Zapata will show the Flyboard Air from 20 to 24 of September.

(I'd appreciate it if someone more competent in Spanish would offer a more accurate translation)


The last Festa al Cel Airshow in 2015 attracted a crowd of 125,000



Should put an end to this ridiculous crap once and for all
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th August 2017 at 05:34 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:31 AM   #1722
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by Alphaba View Post
Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum est.
Mundus vult decipi.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:38 AM   #1723
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"
 
jimbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 15,416
Originally Posted by Alphaba View Post
And you can add to the duped persons French air gendarmes who forbade Franky to fly his FBA until the authorities competent in regulating motorized piloted flying machines arrived at a modus vivendi with Franky, and all the people from his town (Sausset-les-Pins), including the mayor, who protested Franky's grounding.


It is fascinating to see an attention-whoring ignoramus (compared to the knowledge displayed in this thread by ISF awesome resident experts in rocketry and flying machines) clutching at every possible straw to sustain his pathetic and loony CT line of thought, and attention needs. Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum est.
The highlighted part - for example I've learned a lot from Smartcooky's and Jay Utah's posts in particular to single out two of the more prominent recent contributors (I'm not even a lurker, just pop in very infrequently).
__________________
OECD healthcare spending
Expenditure on healthcare
http://www.oecd.org/els/health-systems/health-data.htm
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:43 AM   #1724
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This will put an end to esspee's preposterous Flyboard Air is fake fantasy....

http://www.lavanguardia.com/local/ma...rd-zapata.html

Zapata will be demonstrating Flyboard Air at the 2017 Barcelona Air Show....

La Festa al Cel, el festival aeronáutico que dejó de celebrarse el año pasado tras la negativa del gobierno municipal de Mataró por razones económicas, toma ahora un nuevo impulso en la principal población turística del Maresme, Santa Susanna. Hasta el momento, los organizadores tienen confirmada la parrilla de participantes con destacadas novedades como los llamados “hombres voladores”. El director del evento aeronáutico, Daniel Ventura, confirma el concurso de Jetman Dubai, el piloto volador con alas a reacción y el monopatín propulsor acuático Flyboard Air de Franky Zapata entre los días 20 y 24 de septiembre.

A rough translation by my very limited Spanish....

The Festa al Cel Air Show, which was cancelled last year by the municipal government of Mataró for economic reasons, now takes a new direction (?) in the tourist town of Maresme, Santa Susanna. So far, the organizers have confirmed the list of participants with outstanding news that the so-called "flying men" will be there. Air Show director Daniel Ventura, has confirmed that the Jetman of Dubai, the flying pilot with reaction (?) wings and water hoverboard driver (?) Franky Zapata will show the Flyboard Air from 20 to 24 of September.

(I'd appreciate it if someone more competent in Spanish would offer a more accurate translation)


The last Festa al Cel Airshow in 2015 attracted a crowd of 125,000

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xayi3g512o...l2015.jpg?dl=1

Should put an end to this ridiculous crap once and for all
Zapata is confirmed, but no mention that he will fly the untethered flybord air.





Quote:
The director of the aeronautical event, Daniel Ventura , confirms the contest of Jetman Dubai , the flying pilot with reaction wings and the skateboard water propeller Flyboard Air of Franky Zapata between 20 and 24 September

Quote:
In the same line, the Frenchman Franky Zapata , will show in the Festa el Cel the latest evolution of Fly Board Air, the water skateboard propelled by jets of water that can rise through the air and travel more than two kilometers. In Santa Susanna, the French pilot will test the latest model designed for maritime rescue that allows to suffocate fires in the ships from the flying platform.

Now will they release some kind of video suggesting he flew? maybe. They did for the 'big airshow' in Maimi, which Zapata did not fly at, but did fly (or make a video of him flying) nearby at a seperate gathering on a sand bar.


But yeah - if its real, i would expect he would be flying at this event. Yeves Rossy is flying at the event and he is real and he uses the same engines Franky claims to. So if he does not fly at this event that would be very strange. Especially as he has 'flown' in barcelona before, so clearly their is no local rules forbidding his flights.

I look forward to this event and only wish i had the money to go to it myself. To prove/disprove the flyboard air once and for all, and to maybe meet Yves Rossy and see his REAL machine in person.

"This will put an end to esspee's preposterous Flyboard Air is fake fantasy...."
Will it put an end to your closed mindedness about this when he does not fly at this event?


Last edited by esspee; 12th August 2017 at 05:46 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:44 AM   #1725
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,456
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Mundus vult decipi.
Equus mentula
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th August 2017 at 05:47 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:36 AM   #1726
steenkh
Philosopher
 
steenkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 5,115
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This will put an end to esspee's preposterous Flyboard Air is fake fantasy....
No it won't. By now it is clear that esspee thinks that Franky's funding is so vast that he will be able to buy thousands of witnesses who will keep silent about not seeing Franky flying, and some will post Franky's fake videos on their Facebook page.
__________________
Steen

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 08:21 AM   #1727
Nay_Sayer
I say nay!
 
Nay_Sayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,321
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
This will put an end to esspee's preposterous Flyboard Air is fake fantasy....

http://www.lavanguardia.com/local/ma...rd-zapata.html

Zapata will be demonstrating Flyboard Air at the 2017 Barcelona Air Show....

La Festa al Cel, el festival aeronáutico que dejó de celebrarse el año pasado tras la negativa del gobierno municipal de Mataró por razones económicas, toma ahora un nuevo impulso en la principal población turística del Maresme, Santa Susanna. Hasta el momento, los organizadores tienen confirmada la parrilla de participantes con destacadas novedades como los llamados “hombres voladores”. El director del evento aeronáutico, Daniel Ventura, confirma el concurso de Jetman Dubai, el piloto volador con alas a reacción y el monopatín propulsor acuático Flyboard Air de Franky Zapata entre los días 20 y 24 de septiembre.

A rough translation by my very limited Spanish....

The Festa al Cel Air Show, which was cancelled last year by the municipal government of Mataró for economic reasons, now takes a new direction (?) in the tourist town of Maresme, Santa Susanna. So far, the organizers have confirmed the list of participants with outstanding news that the so-called "flying men" will be there. Air Show director Daniel Ventura, has confirmed that the Jetman of Dubai, the flying pilot with reaction (?) wings and water hoverboard driver (?) Franky Zapata will show the Flyboard Air from 20 to 24 of September.

(I'd appreciate it if someone more competent in Spanish would offer a more accurate translation)


The last Festa al Cel Airshow in 2015 attracted a crowd of 125,000

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xayi3g512o...l2015.jpg?dl=1

Should put an end to this ridiculous crap once and for all
CGI/ Adobe photoshop crowd.

Paid attendees

Concealed helicopter


http://www.lavanguardia.com added to list of scam cohorts which now nears the population of hobart Australia
__________________
I am 100% confident all psychics and mediums are frauds.
----------------------------------------------
Proud woo denier
----------------------------------------------
“That which can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.” -Christopher Hitchens-
Nay_Sayer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 08:50 AM   #1728
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
CGI/ Adobe photoshop crowd.

Paid attendees

[/b]
In the case of some of the 'demonstrations', yes i would imagine some of the people will be paid. But only a very small all number. Others, like in the case of the demo in naples florida, most of them would have a vested interest in not exposing the hoax (being that they are all involved in the industry and part of the 'Flyboard™ Family')


Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
CGI/ Adobe photoshop crowd.

Concealed helicopter
In a few but not all, yes, i think that is certainly possible for some shots.

I also suspect a crane is used or has been used for some shots.

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post
CGI/ Adobe photoshop crowd.
Probrably a lot easier to photoshop in Franky to an existing crowd, but yes, certainly possible to add in crowds and onlookers. Likely used in certain shots.

Originally Posted by Nay_Sayer View Post


http://www.lavanguardia.com added to list of scam cohorts which now nears the population of hobart Australia
I object to that.
At no point have i said that this website is in on anything. They are just reporting the information they have been provided with, that being that Franky Zapata will attend the event and demonstrate his WATER PROPELLED Flyboard.
Specifically to demonstrate the model designed for the purpose of putting out fires on boats.

Last edited by esspee; 12th August 2017 at 08:52 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 09:08 AM   #1729
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,973
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
I also suspect a crane is used or has been used for some shots.
Remember the part where we already dispelled this? Remember the part where you admitted you had no knowledge of or experience in that sort of theatrical rigging, such that your suspicion would have any value beyond uninformed speculation? Oh, please tell us again how your "intuition" is so much more effective than the knowledge and experience of people who have actually done these things.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 09:31 AM   #1730
Alphaba
Optical Allusion
 
Alphaba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 725
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Mundus vult decipi.
Translation: "The world wants to be deceived".

Thanks for adding more CT fuel to my point!
Alphaba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 09:49 AM   #1731
Marcus
Master Poster
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,671
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
this thread is different.

and the punchline will be epic.

why do you think all of these people keep coming back?
these intelligent, educated and knowledgeable people?

Its because on a intuitive level they know there is something wrong with the flyboard story.
Anyone can verify the flyboard story with just a little effort. The reason people come back to this thread (in my case to read), is to be entertained, and to learn a little something in the process from the engineers. And yes, like the UFO, conspiracy, and homeopathy threads, one person (you) makes this thread interesting by drawing out all the responses correcting you.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 10:27 AM   #1732
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Anyone can verify the flyboard story with just a little effort.
67 pages, and not one person has been able to verify it.


Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
The reason people come back to this thread (in my case to read), is to be entertained, and to learn a little something in the process from the engineers. And yes, like the UFO, conspiracy, and homeopathy threads, one person (you) makes this thread interesting by drawing out all the responses correcting you.

This thread is either a case study in the persistence of a delusion.

or

a case study of how knowledgeable and educated people are often the easiest to fool



only time will tell us which it is



Interdum stultus bene loquitur.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 10:57 AM   #1733
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,973
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
67 pages, and not one person has been able to verify it.
Of course they have. It has been verified to a reasonable practical extent. You simply invent a fleet of speculation and nonsensical denial to avoid facing that verification. "Probably Photoshop," or "I suspect they used a crane," or anything else like that does not undermine in any way the evidence we have supplied for verification. You're offering affirmative alternative explanations for all the evidence without one iota of evidence or knowledge to support such an affirmation.

Quote:
This thread is either a case study in the persistence of a delusion.
No, your critics are not deluded.

Quote:
a case study of how knowledgeable and educated people are often the easiest to fool
No, your critics are not gullible.

Quote:
only time will tell us which it is...
You left out the part where this thread is obviously just you doing whatever it takes to keep attention on you. It's the intellectual equivalent of an old man waddling down the street with his pants around his ankles. Everyone can see the absurdity except, apparently, the senile old man.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:01 AM   #1734
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by JayUtah View Post
Of course they have. It has been verified to a reasonable practical extent. You simply invent a fleet of speculation and nonsensical denial to avoid facing that verification. "Probably Photoshop," or "I suspect they used a crane," or anything else like that does not undermine in any way the evidence we have supplied for verification. You're offering affirmative alternative explanations for all the evidence without one iota of evidence or knowledge to support such an affirmation.



No, your critics are not deluded.



No, your critics are not gullible.



You left out the part where this thread is obviously just you doing whatever it takes to keep attention on you. It's the intellectual equivalent of an old man waddling down the street with his pants around his ankles. Everyone can see the absurdity except, apparently, the senile old man.
my point was that i will be the case study of the persistence of a delusion,

or

you lot will be a case study in how smart people can be so easily fooled



and that once the flyboard is proven real or false we will finally know which one it is.




and the last time I waddled down the street with my pants round my ankles I was 21.

Last edited by esspee; 12th August 2017 at 11:02 AM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:02 AM   #1735
Marcus
Master Poster
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,671
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
67 pages, and not one person has been able to verify it.





This thread is either a case study in the persistence of a delusion.

or

a case study of how knowledgeable and educated people are often the easiest to fool



only time will tell us which it is



Interdum stultus bene loquitur.
At the beginning of the thread, when there was only one video, the conspiracy angle at least seemed possible. Now, with hundreds of videos available, not so much.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:40 AM   #1736
RussDill
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Charleston
Posts: 5,400
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
At the beginning of the thread, when there was only one video, the conspiracy angle at least seemed possible. Now, with hundreds of videos available, not so much.
Which has incidentally given esspee countless opportunities to move the goalposts. Plenty of "if it were real than x" statements. Don't think I've seen a single mea culpa either, the only reaction had been to just move the goal posts further.
__________________
The woods are lovely, dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and lines to code before I sleep
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 01:38 PM   #1737
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,456
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
I object to that.
At no point have i said that this website is in on anything.
No, but you will; you have form. No matter what happens, I expect you will move the goalpoats further and keep inventing new and more far-fetched fantasies to keep your theory intact.

I feel sorry for you actually. It must be stressful being a Conspiracy Theorist and seeing imagined lies, deception and evil everywhere you look.

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
They are just reporting the information they have been provided with, that being that Franky Zapata will attend the event and demonstrate his WATER PROPELLED Flyboard.
No, that is not what it says at all. In the context of the article, the word "propulsor" does not mean "propeller", it means "driver" Here is another example of how the word can be used

"El ministro fue el propulsor de la nueva ley"

which literally translates to

"The minister was the propeller of the new law"

In English, we would say "The minister was the driver of the new law."

What you have done is fallen into the trap of copying and pasting the phrase into Google Translate. This is fine for short phrases, but it doesn't do whole paragraphs accurately because, despite what Google claim, it doesn't understand vernacular or context and cannot translate it correctly, only literally, word for word.

The phrase "el monopatín propulsor acuático Flyboard Air de Franky Zapata entre los días 20 y 24 de septiembre." when taken in context, translates to "the water hoverboard (skateboard) driver Franky Zapata will show the Flyboard Air from 20 to 24 of September."

FFS, there is even a photo of FBA further down the page (which IMO you intentionally missed).

Originally Posted by esspee View Post
Specifically to demonstrate the model designed for the purpose of putting out fires on boats.
More BS caused by your use of Google Translate
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 02:08 PM   #1738
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,973
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
my point was that i will be the case study of the persistence of a delusion...
I don't think you're deluded. Since you measure your success in hits and views, not correctness, I think you're simply a salesman.

Quote:
...and that once the flyboard is proven real or false we will finally know which one it is.
Except that it has already been proven real to any reasonable standard of proof. But in order to stay relevant, you have to keep coming up with ever more fantastical and farfetched reasons why that proof should be ignored. This leads you to look more and more foolish, which you don't seem to care about. Your thread is dozens of pages long and lots of people are engaging you, even if just to point out your obvious errors. This is clearly what you value, not whether the board is real.

Quote:
...and the last time I waddled down the street with my pants round my ankles I was 21.
I said your argument is the intellectual equivalent of that stunt. Whatever it takes, however silly, farfetched, or assumptive the argument, just so people don't lose interest and wander on to some other YouTube channel.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:56 PM   #1739
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,092
Quote:
Your thread is dozens of pages long and lots of people are engaging you, even if just to point out your obvious errors. This is clearly what you value, not whether the board is real.

I traveled to France with no money and a one way ticket.

The online traffic and views and engagement i have been able to create i did so as a tool to help me in my journey to know the truth.

i welcome the views and theengadgment,

but not for the reasons you think i do.

although i will enjoy the day when you re all proven wrong and my kudos level on this site goes ballistic and you finally realize i am person worth listening to god damn it.



p.s the best commetn i have ever read on youtube was below a video of the Real life iron man'

It read somethign like :
"this guy is hoping that N.A.S.A. will give him a job...




when they see that he is as good at faking stuff as them."

Last edited by esspee; 12th August 2017 at 03:59 PM.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 04:08 PM   #1740
JayUtah
Penultimate Amazing
 
JayUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13,973
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
I traveled to France with no money and a one way ticket.
And made sure everyone knew that's what you were doing.

Quote:
although i will enjoy the day when you re all proven wrong and my kudos level on this site goes ballistic...
Keep trying to tell us how it's not all about you seeking attention.

Quote:
...and you finally realize i am person worth listening to god damn it.
It's been obvious for quite some time that you're not a person worth listening to. You bring no facts, no erudition, no insight. You simply spout ignorant speculation and remind us about how yuge you're going to be. I can get that level of nonsense from any of a hundred media outlets.

Keep begging for attention, by all means. It's amusing. But if you really want to be listened to and engaged at the intellectual level, try to learn something about the things you talk about.
JayUtah is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:04 PM   #1741
Marcus
Master Poster
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,671
Originally Posted by RussDill View Post
Which has incidentally given esspee countless opportunities to move the goalposts. Plenty of "if it were real than x" statements. Don't think I've seen a single mea culpa either, the only reaction had been to just move the goal posts further.
Which makes me wonder: Could esspee possibly be a troll? It doesn't seem likely, as the payoff is not commiserate with the effort, but then again, it also doesn't seem likely that someone could ignore this much evidence.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:50 PM   #1742
Kid Eager
Philosopher
 
Kid Eager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,237
Originally Posted by Kid Eager View Post
So, baseless speculation it is then: you have decided it's fake and are working backwards from that conclusion to select data that confirms your preconceptions, and you still can't make your conspiracy theory work?

That should tell you something right there....
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
its fun to speculate.

As for working backwards, its not quite as simple as that.

As i have said i have no idea either way if it is real or not.

I just believe that it is probably a hoax.


And my approach to it in an effort to 'solve' it has been to work from the assumption that it is a hoax, reject the plot points that the hoaxers are employing in an effort to get people to convince themselves it is real, and looking instead for solid evidence of it being real.

I have found no solid evidence.

All of the points everyone here has stated as proof in this thread are IMO (or could be) plot points. Plot points neatly wrapped up by those behind the hoax.

IMO a magic trick, or hoax or con does not directly deceive us.
It gives us plot points, and then we pick up on these plot points ourselves and then create and tell ourselves the story they want us to tell ourselves. It is at this moment that the deception occurs.

In short, you deceive yourself, they just help you along the way (con men, hoaxers and magicians). It is very effective technique of influence and persuasion and proven to be effective, particularly in the world of cons ( based on what i have read about con men/conning and from examples of cons i know about)




So that has been my approach. - Assume it is a magic trick and then try to disprove that it is a magic trick. I have not been able to disprove that it is a magic trick and nor has anyone here in this 67page thread, nor anyone in the comments section of my youtube videos.


Almost a year long now, with many aerospace engineers in this thread, and some of the best debunkers on the entire net right here, and yet no one here has been able to prove the Flyboard Air actually works or that my suspicions are unfounded.

That should tell you something right there....
All you've done here is verbosely admit to the accusation, then throw in a bit of misdirection to excuse it as a supposedly valid approach to... something.

Go ahead, craft a complete universe to justify your "suspicion". I'm easily amused by performance art.
__________________
What do Narwhals, Magnets and Apollo 13 have in common? Think about it....
Kid Eager is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:45 PM   #1743
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,456
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Which makes me wonder: Could esspee possibly be a troll? It doesn't seem likely, as the payoff is not commiserate with the effort, but then again, it also doesn't seem likely that someone could ignore this much evidence.
Oh, you haven't locked horns with nutjob Holocaust Deniers or Apollo Hoax Believers have you? They bring an enormous amount of hand-waving and a very special kind of Stupid to the table.
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 02:23 AM   #1744
steenkh
Philosopher
 
steenkh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Denmark
Posts: 5,115
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
67 pages, and not one person has been able to verify it.
That is not true. It has been verified over and over again. We have long ago arrived at the stage where you need to prove it is a fake operation, because your claim is the most extraordinary one.
__________________
Steen

--
Jack of all trades - master of none!
steenkh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 07:28 AM   #1745
Myriad
Hyperthetical
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 13,104
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
my point was that i will be the case study of the persistence of a delusion,

or

you lot will be a case study in how smart people can be so easily fooled

Assumes facts not in evidence.
__________________
A zømbie once bit my sister...
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 08:03 AM   #1746
Marcus
Master Poster
 
Marcus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,671
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oh, you haven't locked horns with nutjob Holocaust Deniers or Apollo Hoax Believers have you? They bring an enormous amount of hand-waving and a very special kind of Stupid to the table.
You're right, those topics seem so silly I haven't found the interest to click on them. I don't know why I like this thread so much.
Marcus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 01:50 PM   #1747
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,456
Originally Posted by steenkh View Post
That is not true. It has been verified over and over again. We have long ago arrived at the stage where you need to prove it is a fake operation, because your claim is the most extraordinary one.
esspee doesn't understand this. He considers his intuition, his suspicions and his feelings to be irrefutable hard evidence, he simply hand-waves away any actual evidence that doesn't agree with those three things, so from his fantasy-world perspective, no evidence has been presented to show that FBA is real.

As Jay once said "It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality."

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
Assumes facts not in evidence.
Well, he has presented no evidence, so no facts are even possible.

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
You're right, those topics seem so silly I haven't found the interest to click on them. I don't know why I like this thread so much.
[Briefly off topic]
Space science and astronomy are interests of mine so my interest in Apollo denial is self explanatory. My interest in debunking Holocaust denial is that its personal to me. I my father and two of my uncles were involved in WW2. One uncle was a British soldier who liberated camps at Neuwengamme, the other uncle was a Red Cross worker who was there shortly after the Polish death camps were liberated. Their stories were harrowing to say the least.
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:12 PM   #1748
Jimmy9
Scholar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 55
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
67 pages, and not one person has been able to verify it.





This thread is either a case study in the persistence of a delusion.

or

a case study of how knowledgeable and educated people are often the easiest to fool



only time will tell us which it is



Interdum stultus bene loquitur.
Check out this old thread "Encountered my first "Truther" today"
Yes they can be fooled.
Jimmy9 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 04:26 PM   #1749
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 15,991
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
As Jay once said "It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality."
He also once said...

Everything smells fishy when you rub your face with a fish.

I swear he stays up at night dreaming up his JayQuotes cause there are some really good ones out there.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 05:28 PM   #1750
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,456
Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
He also once said...

Everything smells fishy when you rub your face with a fish.

I swear he stays up at night dreaming up his JayQuotes cause there are some really good ones out there.
I see that the one I quoted is in your signature. My favorite is in mine.
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2017, 07:30 PM   #1751
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!
 
William Parcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 17,736
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
I traveled to France with no money and a one way ticket.
It is quite possible that this is a lie.
__________________
Bigfoot believers and Bigfoot skeptics are both plumb crazy. Each spends more than one minute per year thinking about Bigfoot.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 06:42 AM   #1752
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,092
http://www.rentacrowduk.co.uk

https://www.hireacrowd.co.uk

http://www.crowdsforrent.com

https://crowdsondemand.com
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 06:50 AM   #1753
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,578
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
I'd like to order 35,000 please. Roughly half and half Benfica and Vitoria team colours. Portuguese speakers an advantage. Passports required.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 06:53 AM   #1754
Hokulele
Deleterious Slab of Damnation
 
Hokulele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Biggest Little City in the World
Posts: 29,518
Originally Posted by esspee View Post

I assume this means you are planning on contacting these companies to see which one was hired to populate the videos? I mean, here is your chance to provide some actual, concrete evidence!
__________________
"Oh god...What have you done, zooterkin? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!?!" - Cleon
Hokulele is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 07:00 AM   #1755
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored
 
Jack by the hedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,578
Originally Posted by Hokulele View Post
I assume this means you are planning on contacting these companies to see which one was hired to populate the videos? I mean, here is your chance to provide some actual, concrete evidence!
They're all in on it too. It's just more names to add to the giant conspiracy.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 07:07 AM   #1756
esspee
black goo
 
esspee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,092
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
I'd like to order 35,000 please. Roughly half and half Benfica and Vitoria team colours. Portuguese speakers an advantage. Passports required.
found any videos outside of the only two anywhere online yet?

There is much oddness about those two videos too.

My overview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ1b8_ZEQ1sh

enjoy.



This link is relevant to the thread as the Duru (possible) hoax is directly linked to teh Flyboard air (possible) hoax via the Guiness world record.

Duru achieved the first one via video evidence, it was this record that Franky Zapata 'broke'.
esspee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 11:54 AM   #1757
RussDill
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Charleston
Posts: 5,400
Originally Posted by esspee View Post
found any videos outside of the only two anywhere online yet?
I explained exactly why there are two videos. I actually spent time and did research. Heck, I even found your wire service news photos you were convinced didn't exist. But sure, just plow through. Suppose you have no choice but to ignore facts.
__________________
The woods are lovely, dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and lines to code before I sleep
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 11:56 AM   #1758
RussDill
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Charleston
Posts: 5,400
BTW, if you are going to fake a video and everyone in the crowd knows that they are hired and knows they can't talk about the reality of the event, why bother with hiring crowds? Why not just add them digitally?

No, the point with the crowds is that people really did attend these events. Showing that crowds can be hired does in no way negate evidence that these events occurred and were attended by tens of thousands of real people.
__________________
The woods are lovely, dark and deep
but i have promises to keep
and lines to code before I sleep
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 12:47 PM   #1759
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,456
Originally Posted by RussDill View Post
I explained exactly why there are two videos. I actually spent time and did research. Heck, I even found your wire service news photos you were convinced didn't exist. But sure, just plow through. Suppose you have no choice but to ignore facts.

Evidence doesn't fit esspee's world view = automatic handwave
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th August 2017, 12:50 PM   #1760
smartcooky
Philosopher
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 6,456
Originally Posted by RussDill View Post
BTW, if you are going to fake a video and everyone in the crowd knows that they are hired and knows they can't talk about the reality of the event, why bother with hiring crowds? Why not just add them digitally?

No, the point with the crowds is that people really did attend these events. Showing that crowds can be hired does in no way negate evidence that these events occurred and were attended by tens of thousands of real people.
Of course, crowds are hired for advertisng or as extras in movies. Of course everyone KNOWS they are being hired for an advert, or a movie and they are free to talk about it to anyone they choose, and the public know that its an advert or a movie, so the extras will be hired for the job.
__________________
► 9/11 was a terrorist attack by Islamic extremists; 12 Apollo astronauts really did walk on the Moon; JFK was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald,who acted alone.
► Never underestimate the power of the Internet to lend unwarranted credibility to the colossally misinformed. - Jay Utah
► Heisenberg's Law - The weirdness of the Universe is inversely proportional to the scale at which you observe it, or not.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.