ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Charlottesville riot , protest incidents , Virginia incidents , white supremacists

Old 12th August 2017, 10:12 AM   #1
Delphic Oracle
Graduate Poster

Dueling protests spark state of emergency in Virginia.

Charlottesville: state of emergency declared amid violence before far-right rally

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...otest-violence

ETA: I hate you, autocorrect... (had to change hate from gate 2x as well)

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 12th August 2017 at 10:20 AM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 10:19 AM   #2
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Who's staring at who?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 10:53 AM   #3
Stacko
Philosopher

**** just hit the fan.
Multiple cars just slammed into counter-protestor march and drove off. Bodies flying. People down. WHERE THE **** ARE COPS NOW
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:03 AM   #4
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

From the (unapologetic) Nazi perspective:

Originally Posted by Daily Stormer
Basically, what happened here is this:

* We had our permit, the judge ruled in our favor, we had a right to be at the park
* When we showed up at the park, the cops began attacking us, tear gassing and beating people, declaring an unlawful assembly
* We were herded by the cops directly to where the antifa were, to be attacked by them
* Cops and antifa both attacked us
*Everywhere we tried to go, the cops followed, declared it illegal assembly and started arresting and/or detaining people

This was an aggressive, open attack on our First Amendment rights. Charlottesville is getting sued.
Old 12th August 2017, 11:29 AM   #5
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

MSNBC says there were three cars and 9 pedestrians involved. This will probably change somewhat as more info is available.

As usual, most of the talk is just fishing around trying to keep viewers' attention.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"

Last edited by shemp; 12th August 2017 at 11:33 AM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:37 AM   #6
chrispy
Critical Thinker

What is happening to my country? I mean, jumping Jesus on a stick, what the hell is happening up there?
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:38 AM   #7
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Fox News says Trump to speak at 3.

"I don't want to live in a world without shemp." - Quarky

"I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!"
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:40 AM   #8
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
There's video of it happening at ChildlikeEmpress' link above. I don't know about "bodies flying".

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/422996...ally-virginia/

Quote:
* When we showed up at the park, the cops began attacking us, tear gassing and beating people, declaring an unlawful assembly
We'll see about that claim.

Would these idiots gain more or less strength if they were simply ignored rather than protested? I would have never known about this event today at all if it weren't for the protests. But then I live in a cave.

It seems like going to such a rally to protest is just looking for a confrontation, which is what the supremacists want so they can gain sympathy. It's like arguing with a troll on a forum.

I don't know who started what as far as the violence goes.

ETA:
I think it's kind of funny that Lee Park was renamed Emancipation Park. The new name actually sounds a bit over the top to me, but it must drive the nazis crazy haha.

Last edited by mgidm86; 12th August 2017 at 11:44 AM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:40 AM   #9
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
From the (unapologetic) Nazi perspective:
Are you buying it?
That account is rather thin... and one sided.

Considering half their wet dreams appear to be throwing beatdowns on brown people, and cops/Gov't... that all reads rather snowflake-ish.

LOL.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:52 AM   #10
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe some people in Virginia could use another little visit from Grant and Sheridan........

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:57 AM   #11
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

I dunno. I thought protest were fine in the US. Now I read this was declared a "unlawful assembly" ? Even the UK abolished that 30 years ago.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 11:57 AM   #12
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

When white nationalists and antifa battle it out in the streets all I can say is, pass the popcorn.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:00 PM   #13
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Are you buying it?

I'm "buying" that this is the unapologetic Nazi perspective. Likely taking it into account makes the picture closer to the truth than what you are "buying".
Old 12th August 2017, 12:04 PM   #14
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
There's video of it happening at ChildlikeEmpress' link above. I don't know about "bodies flying".

Maybe the plural is wrong.

I just caught it on the news (I'm not adding clicks to Stormfront etc.) and while I couldn't see detail when the driver reversed through the pedestrians... the initial forward hit sent one person (green Tee) completely over the length of the silver ragtop landing on the hood. Presumably that's where the many blood drops on the windshield came from.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:08 PM   #15
Bob001
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
I dunno. I thought protest were fine in the US. Now I read this was declared a "unlawful assembly" ? Even the UK abolished that 30 years ago.
CNN and others are reporting that the Nazis showed up wearing helmets, carrying bats, pipes and police-style shields, and brandishing rifles (VA is an open-carry state). Police -- who apparently had maintained a relatively low-key presence -- decided that this was more than a peaceful assembly.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...d7e_story.html

And I'm pretty sure the UK has had experience at dealing with armed mobs.

Last edited by Bob001; 12th August 2017 at 12:10 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:10 PM   #16
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Here is a link to car crash. NSFW. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaR-usKzRy0
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:11 PM   #17
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Today is the first time I've heard of the word "antifa". I had to look up the meaning. I find it awful that the need for such a word even exists.

I'm currently wondering how The PDJT is going to **** this up. And he will.

Last edited by alfaniner; 12th August 2017 at 12:13 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:14 PM   #18
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
I'm "buying" that this is the unapologetic Nazi perspective. Likely taking it into account makes the picture closer to the truth than what you are "buying".

I'm not buying anything yet. There's going to be blame enough to go around.

I was asking if you were buying the account that the right 'ard Goose-steppers were hard done by, by the terrible police and those mean 'ol hippy types.

But that's unfair on my part... plenty of lefty rock throwers in the world too.
I was just amused by the account you quoted. Aren't you the one constantly on us about biased sources?

Old 12th August 2017, 12:19 PM   #19
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

(I'm not adding clicks to Stormfront etc.)
Of course you aren't as you aren't even aware that '"Stormfront" is not relevant at all to what is going on while "The Daily Stormer" is the most popular Nazi website in the history of the internet.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:20 PM   #20
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

B.S,frankly.
I am betting the Brits have something similar when a demonstration is turning violent.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:23 PM   #21
Aepervius

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
CNN and others are reporting that the Nazis showed up wearing helmets, carrying bats, pipes and police-style shields, and brandishing rifles (VA is an open-carry state). Police -- who apparently had maintained a relatively low-key presence -- decided that this was more than a peaceful assembly.

True, I agree after seeing some photo that the neo nazi were clearly waiting for a brawl.
But the local antifa were utter idiot. And that does not make it unlawful IMO.

I have a loooong experience with this idiot with manif' in Paris agaisnt neo nazi and other assorted brown and black shirts. When you organize such a manif you ALWAYS give the order of the security cordon (the group designed to be on the outside to direct the manif direction) to avoid confrontation, keep long distance, and if the nazi come toward for a brawl, to direct the manif away and back the damn off.

The reason is not cowardice, but the reason is that fascist will now have away to tell that antifa fought with them and their right of speech was trampled. It will naturally not fucntion with all of us (anything center or left) but it will work wonder in the right and win them brownie points and far more importantly win recruits and allow them to have their **** be put on the same level as normal discourse.

That is why you back off and avoid confrontation, and sometimes you don't even counter protest, that kills their hope to be promoted on news platform, or at least make that promotion short.

Now it will be a long promotion and national or even international -again for the right wing which was their target-.

I repeat the antifa were idiot and played into the hand of the nazi.

Last edited by Aepervius; 12th August 2017 at 12:26 PM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:24 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
When white nationalists and antifa battle it out in the streets all I can say is, pass the popcorn.
I understand the sentiment, but the problem is innocent people always get hurt in these incidents.

Now if could lock the two sides in a stadium....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:25 PM   #23
Aepervius

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
B.S,frankly.
I am betting the Brits have something similar when a demonstration is turning violent.
They have like in many country, but it does not target the manifestation, protest, it target the people doing the violent stuff.

The subttle difference is that you can let one be legal -the protest- and arrest all the violent person. But declaring the protest illegal... is tantamount of going agaisnt free speech/freedom of opinion or whichever speech law count in each of our respective countries.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:26 PM   #24
deadrose
Master Poster

One person is dead from the car ramming into the Antifa protesters. Just announced by ABC.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:28 PM   #25
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Are you buying it?
That account is rather thin... and one sided.

Considering half their wet dreams appear to be throwing beatdowns on brown people, and cops/Gov't... that all reads rather snowflake-ish.

LOL.
More like selling it.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:28 PM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And, although my opinion of Antififa and other violent protestors on the Left is very low, It is pretty clear the Hitler Huggers/Neo COnfedeates were the agressors here.
This incident just provides more proof that the Civil War is the central event in American history. More then 150 years later, it still can provoke violence.
William Faulkner said it best:
"The past is not dead, it's not even past".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:31 PM   #27
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

They have like in many country, but it does not target the manifestation, protest, it target the people doing the violent stuff.

The subttle difference is that you can let one be legal -the protest- and arrest all the violent person. But declaring the protest illegal... is tantamount of going agaisnt free speech/freedom of opinion or whichever speech law count in each of our respective countries.
Nice exercise in semantics. The only time the Unlawful Assembly is declared is when a protest is turning into a riot.
Anyway, from this and other comments you are know on "Just another Euro who dislikes America in General" list.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:31 PM   #28
mgidm86
Illuminator

I'm not buying anything yet. There's going to be blame enough to go around.

I was asking if you were buying the account that the right 'ard Goose-steppers were hard done by, by the terrible police and those mean 'ol hippy types.

But that's unfair on my part... plenty of lefty rock throwers in the world too.
I was just amused by the account you quoted. Aren't you the one constantly on us about biased sources?
Anyone participating in the event on either side is going to be biased. Who knows what or who to believe? We choose who to believe until evidence is presented. I don't mind knowing the different perspectives.

We've seen plenty of hate by the far left and far right. I don't trust either to be more truthful than the other.

And rock throwers - sure.

Last edited by mgidm86; 12th August 2017 at 12:33 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:32 PM   #29
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post

Who before marched into the UV campus with torches, well outside their permitted march that was supposed to take place today. Who also fired teargas at counter protestors.

I'm sure there are plenty of bad actors in the counter-protestors too (the red and black of antifia is never a good sign), but the actual Nazi have decided on a pretty big escalation from property damage and some brawls.

Don't worry, the conservatives will be around to blame the left-wing rioters from earlier even if they were condemned by vast portions of the left already.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:33 PM   #30
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

And, although my opinion of Antififa and other violent protestors on the Left is very low, It is pretty clear the Hitler Huggers/Neo COnfedeates were the agressors here.
This incident just provides more proof that the Civil War is the central event in American history. More then 150 years later, it still can provoke violence.
This.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:34 PM   #31
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Still seeking to bring us back to those good ol 'Murican values, blacks in the fields, women in the kitchen, and some good old fashioned workplace sexual harrassment (I mean, whate else are those leggy secretaries for?)
Old 12th August 2017, 12:35 PM   #32
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have quite a bit of sympathy with Brainster's "Let Them Fight" post,except that innocent people always get hurt.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:36 PM   #33
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Trump says 'bigotry and violence on many sides'. Because of course he did.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:37 PM   #34
Aepervius

Nice exercise in semantics. The only time the Unlawful Assembly is declared is when a protest is turning into a riot.
Anyway, from this and other comments you are know on "Just another Euro who dislikes America in General" list.
Whatever. Or maybe I have a far more experience protesting and march than you.

The reason the difference is not rethoric is that we had a long history in France of people (sometimes hired) trying to break a protest or throwing it into bad light, by having confrontation with them. So making *both* identical as you seem to say, allowed the local force and news to put the whole protest into the news as bad guys.

That is why it is not rethorical. You should always make sure only the violence is stopped, not the protest. If the protest is 100% organized violence then yes you should stop it. But I am betting that even if they organized that, if they have half the brain cell the local black shirt we protested against, they had a whole major slice of the protest being non violent, so that they can pretend to to be suppressed.

Declaring it unlawful PLAYS exactly in the black shirt handbook.

As for your kip about me being Anti American, you have truly no idea whatsoever. In fact I suspect it is an ad hom.

Last edited by Aepervius; 12th August 2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:37 PM   #35
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

As for "Unlawful Assembly" here is the 1986 UK law on Public Order

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Order_Act_1986

Not much difference between this and US public order laws. Just a matter of Semantics,really.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:38 PM   #36
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Pathitically weak comment.No specific condemnation of the Neo Nazis. Trump can't afford to alienate his base supporters.....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:40 PM   #37
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Anyone participating in the event on either side is going to be biased. Who knows what or who to believe? We choose who to believe until evidence is presented. I don't mind knowing the different perspectives.

We've seen plenty of hate by the far left and far right. I don't trust either to be more truthful than the other.

And rock throwers - sure.
I trust the anti-Nazi's before I trust the Nazi's. That's my bias.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 12:40 PM   #38
chrispy
Critical Thinker

Everything is about him. Always.

A quick synopsis... America is great. Doing really great. Better than ever. Oh, yeah, that thing in Charlottesville. The Governor? He thanked me. Can't we all get along? Ok, now veterans. I love verterans.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:41 PM   #39
Aepervius

As for "Unlawful Assembly" here is the 1986 UK law on Public Order

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Order_Act_1986

Not much difference between this and US public order laws. Just a matter of Semantics,really.
"Unlawful assembly" was explicitly removed from Britain law in 1986.

Quote:
An unlawful assembly which has made a motion towards its common purpose was termed a rout, and if the unlawful assembly should proceed to carry out its purpose, e.g. begin to demolish a particular enclosure, it became a riot. All three offences were misdemeanours in English law, punishable by fine and imprisonment. The offence was abolished by the Public Order Act 1986.
And as I explain above the difference is not rethorical.

ETA: Heck read your own link section 9 "Section 9 - Offences abolished"
Old 12th August 2017, 12:46 PM   #40
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
I can't remember ever yelling at the TV, especially at a person acting as our President. But that set me off on a tirage.

(eta -- I meant to type "tirade" but I think the other word is better.)

Last edited by alfaniner; 12th August 2017 at 12:47 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics