ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Charlottesville riot , protest incidents , Virginia incidents , white supremacists

Old 12th August 2017, 03:05 PM   #81
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Do you think the world antifa want to build is going to be some shining bastion of equality and unlimited human potential?
There's a difference between "not a shining bastion of equality and unlimited potential" and genocide.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:06 PM   #82
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And, although my opinion of Antififa and other violent protestors on the Left is very low, It is pretty clear the Hitler Huggers/Neo COnfedeates were the agressors here.
This incident just provides more proof that the Civil War is the central event in American history. More then 150 years later, it still can provoke violence.
William Faulkner said it best:
"The past is not dead, it's not even past".
I'm now of the opinion that slavery is the single most important thing about America, from its foundation and constitution to the social divide and civil war to the civil rights movements and right up to today and beyond: the institution of slavery still has a impact all across the US.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:06 PM   #83
caveman1917
Suspended

At least there's good news too, apparently.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:08 PM   #84
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by sonofthor View Post
Trump is RIGHT! Both sides are cancer, the difference is just in the details!
Those are pretty big details.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:09 PM   #85
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Before the really serious stuff began, I had the thought that the heavy media presence contributed to escalating events just due to their being there.
In this 'ecosystem' the media and the hardcore protestor are in a symbiotic relationship.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:16 PM   #86
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
They are getting too much attention these days. Not because they pose a threat to the nation, not because they are a dangerous force or have a point, but because it sells. Ooooh violence! Nothing new there.
Not enough. Not nearly enough.

Quote:
I said hello to my neighbors today, went grocery shopping, had two nice conversations, and I'm home on ISF where most of the drama in my life comes from LOL. I'd live in ignorant bliss if it weren't for you bastards
I read somewhere that ignorance is bliss.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:16 PM   #87
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
There's a difference between "not a shining bastion of equality and unlimited potential" and genocide.
I admit my 100% toxic experiences with every single one of them I've ever met might be coloring things.

I really feel like this is a movement that would produce a Reign of Terror or betrayal of the Bolsheviks type of aftermath.

I am not being uniquely critical of them, mind you, as I am aware Nazis tend to have kill lists, as well.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:19 PM   #88
Stacko
Philosopher

Nazis are openly celebrating the messaging from the Orange Menace.

Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:20 PM   #89
Biscuit
Philosopher

American fascists marching with Chinese made tiki torches in support of a statue of a man who declared war on America. SMH.
Old 12th August 2017, 03:21 PM   #90
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
I failed to find the good in that news.
Can you explain?
Old 12th August 2017, 03:23 PM   #91
Biscuit
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Nazis are openly celebrating the messaging from the Orange Menace.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ictureid=11365
David duke has a different take on things. http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/fo...rticle/2631369

Quote:
I would recommend you take a good look in the mirror & remember it was White Americans who put you in the presidency, not radical leftists.
Old 12th August 2017, 03:28 PM   #92
phiwum
Philosopher

Celebrating the death of two policemen in a helicopter is really beyond the pale, Caveman.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:28 PM   #93
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Terry McAullife looks pretty good on the podium. He might be a good candidate to give us a real president.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:29 PM   #94
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Governor of Virginia just blasted the white supremists...something that the Orange Fungus did not do.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:30 PM   #95
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Terry McAullife looks pretty good on the podium. He might be a good candidate to give us a real president.
He's an apologetically a friend of the Clinton's which will be a lodestone.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:31 PM   #96
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Celebrating the death of two policemen in a helicopter is really beyond the pale, Caveman.
It's sick,frankly.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:33 PM   #97
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Can you explain?
Caveman fancies himself some sorts of militant revolutionary. He recently, in another thread, defended Joseph Stalin.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th August 2017, 03:34 PM   #98
Stacko
Philosopher

The Governor of Virginia just blasted the white supremists...something that the Orange Fungus did not do.
The next president will have the lowest bars ever to clear.

POTUS 46: "Nazis are bad."
EVERYONE: "So presidential!"
Old 12th August 2017, 03:34 PM   #99
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What are you talking about? No Nazis died.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:37 PM   #100
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Caveman fancies himself some sorts of militant revolutionary. He recently, in another thread, defended Joseph Stalin.
Yeah but he's not exactly courageous about it. He lets other people run into the streets while he shouts on the internet from his mom's basement.
Old 12th August 2017, 03:40 PM   #101
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

He also noted the white nationalists came from out of town and went with the intent to commit violence.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:43 PM   #102
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I admit my 100% toxic experiences with every single one of them I've ever met might be coloring things.

I really feel like this is a movement that would produce a Reign of Terror or betrayal of the Bolsheviks type of aftermath.

I am not being uniquely critical of them, mind you, as I am aware Nazis tend to have kill lists, as well.
I sometimes get the feeling they might. However, I'm certain what the Nazi's have planned.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 12th August 2017, 03:45 PM   #103
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

McAullife pointed out how sick that his happened in the Home of Thomas Jefferson, one of the founders of democracy.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th August 2017, 03:48 PM   #104
caveman1917
Suspended

No it isn't. And I didn't celebrate it, I considered it good news.
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:50 PM   #105
caveman1917
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
I hadn't expected otherwise.

Quote:
Can you explain?
I probably can, yes.
Old 12th August 2017, 03:50 PM   #106
phiwum
Philosopher

I don't care to quibble on what counts as celebration and I don't believe this is the place to disabuse you of your evidently gross disregard for the lives of men who happen to wear a uniform.

I am very sorry to see such a shameful comment on this forum.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:51 PM   #107
caveman1917
Suspended

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What are you talking about? No Nazis died.
How do you know that?
Old 12th August 2017, 03:52 PM   #108
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Just curious... do you consider the day's events a net positive or negative?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 12th August 2017, 03:56 PM   #109
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Net negative since both sides were not "leftist" enough.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:58 PM   #110
UnrepentantSinner
A post by Alan Smithee

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Still image of at least 5 people in the air being struck by the vehicle..

The license plate is clearly visible and they have arrested the driver.
Identity seems considered confirmed.
4chan, Free Republic and the usual Conservisphere websites/blogs/forums doxxed the wrong guy it seems. (Joel VanGheluwe)

The actual identity of the suspect hasn't been released yet.
I am an American citizen who is part of American society and briefly served in the American armed forces. I use American dollars and pay taxes that support the American government. And yes, despite the editorial decison to change American politics to the nonsensical "USA politics" subforum, I follow and comment on American politics.
UnrepentantSinner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 03:59 PM   #111
sonofthor
Scholar

@GovernorVA Refuses to condemn antifa as well as neo Nazi...And there lays the problem. Rather than stopping an illegal "anti-protest" they let them turn up for trouble.
Old 12th August 2017, 04:02 PM   #112
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by sonofthor View Post
@GovernorVA Refuses to condemn antifa as well as neo Nazi...And there lays the problem. Rather than stopping an illegal "anti-protest" they let them turn up for trouble.
The anti-Nazi's made the Nazi's murder innocent people?

Wollen owns the stage
Old 12th August 2017, 04:07 PM   #113
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

The anti-Nazi's made the Nazi's murder innocent people?
It's ALWAYS the leftists fault.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 04:09 PM   #114
Stacko
Philosopher

This is concerning.

Quote:
Officials say the deaths of two people in a helicopter crash near Charlottesville, Virginia, have been linked to a violent white nationalist rally earlier in the day.

It was not immediately clear how the crash was connected to the rally. Corinne Geller, a Virignia State Police spokeswoman, says the pilot and a passenger were killed in the crash Saturday afternoon.

The crash happened just a few hours after a car plowed into a crowd of people peacefully protesting against the white nationalist rally. One person was killed and at least two dozen were hurt.
Old 12th August 2017, 04:14 PM   #115
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
I blame the patriarchy.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 04:15 PM   #116
caveman1917
Suspended

I don't care to quibble on what counts as celebration and I don't believe this is the place to disabuse you of your evidently gross disregard for the lives of men who happen to wear a uniform.
Yeah they just "happen" to wear a uniform. Luckily that uniform allows us to know these people to belong to a particular armed gang of mercenaries who are sworn to, and paid to, violently enforce the capitalist order. Other than untold numbers of specific crimes, on a larger "social engineering" scale this gang makes about 300.000 victims a year in the US.

Quote:
I am very sorry to see such a shameful comment on this forum.
Oh please.

Last edited by caveman1917; 12th August 2017 at 04:17 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 12th August 2017, 04:17 PM   #117
Arcade22
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
This would never have happened if slavery never was abolished! Their blood is on your hands Lincoln!
Freedom you all want, you want freedom. Why then do you haggle over a more or less? Freedom can only be the whole of freedom; a piece of freedom is not freedom. You despair of the possibility of obtaining the whole of freedom, freedom from everything - yes, you consider it insanity even to wish this? - Well, then leave off chasing after the phantom, and spend your pains on something better than the - unattainable. - Max Stirner
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 04:20 PM   #118
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I'd guess it's "linked" because the helicopter was there appropriately observing, and likely recording, the activity. The crash was almost certainly an accident.
Old 12th August 2017, 04:26 PM   #119
caveman1917
Suspended

A negative, why?
Old 12th August 2017, 04:56 PM   #120
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I hadn't expected otherwise.

I probably can, yes.
Not even man enough to take responsibility for your post. I've long known you're nothing but a mom's basement anarchist but you could at least show a little backbone for what you write.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics