ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags assault incidents , Charlottesville riot , protest incidents , Virginia incidents , white supremacists

Old 12th August 2017, 04:58 PM   #121
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by caveman1917 View Post
Yeah they just "happen" to wear a uniform. Luckily that uniform allows us to know these people to belong to a particular armed gang of mercenaries who are sworn to, and paid to, violently enforce the capitalist order. Other than untold numbers of specific crimes, on a larger "social engineering" scale this gang makes about 300.000 victims a year in the US.

Oh please.
Awwww...is the little anarchist mad he can't burn things and throw rocks with impunity...so sad.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 04:59 PM   #122
caveman1917
Philosopher

Originally Posted by UnrepentantSinner View Post
4chan, Free Republic and the usual Conservisphere websites/blogs/forums doxxed the wrong guy it seems. (Joel VanGheluwe)

The actual identity of the suspect hasn't been released yet.
In a way it has, in the form of a license plate and other information.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:09 PM   #123
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

In a way it has, in the form of a license plate and other information.

I'm not going on a hunt through the denser parts of the web, so do you mean something other than that FB link you posted earlier?

The irresponsible doxxing of a suspect's home address.

The one with a different first name?
And BTW... that one has a VIN #, not a license plate.
(who the **** in the civilian public cares about a suspect vehicle's VIN #? )

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 12th August 2017 at 05:13 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:13 PM   #124
C_Felix
Master Poster

I want to make sure I've got this correct.
  • Statue of Robert E. Lee (I think it was his visage) was going to be taken down.
  • Alt-Right upset about this.
  • Alt-Right protests about this.
  • Other people (Horrible "liberals" or just rationale people wanting to promote love and peace and all)
  • Skirmishes happen.
  • Alt-Right person drives car into the anit-fas protesters.

Last edited by C_Felix; 12th August 2017 at 06:02 PM.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:16 PM   #125
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Seems to sum it up nicely.
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:23 PM   #126
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Seems to sum it up nicely.

I don't know... all the typos are giving me a twitch.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:23 PM   #127
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by UnrepentantSinner View Post
4chan, Free Republic and the usual Conservisphere websites/blogs/forums doxxed the wrong guy it seems. (Joel VanGheluwe)

The actual identity of the suspect hasn't been released yet.
The guy caveman1917 linked to apparently sold the vehicle two years ago. I feel some lawsuits are forthcoming.
Old 12th August 2017, 05:24 PM   #128
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I can't seem to find one but is there/are there memorials to the victims of slavery. Here in the South we seem to have plenty of memorials to the criminals but I can't recall ever seeing a memorial to the victims of the crime. Prof. Google says there's a proposal for one and I suspect there might be one in the New African American History Museum on the National Mall (though it may be some years before you can get in without advanced tickets). It seems odd that there were millions of people held against their will, rapped, assaulted and sometimes murdered but no bronze statues memorializing them. However, in the South, you can't swing a dead Klansman without hitting a statue dedicated to someone who committed treason to keep people enslaved.
Old 12th August 2017, 05:26 PM   #129
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I don't know... all the typos are giving me a twitch.

It's an emotional time; people may be typing with their fists.
Old 12th August 2017, 05:34 PM   #130
mgidm86
Illuminator

What's up with this car ramming thing? I read the car slammed a stopped car that then slammed another vehicle. Then the person in the car went in reverse and hit some people.

Do we know if this was deliberate? Seems like it, but do we know anything?

The Governor is telling the white nat's to "go home, you are not wanted here". Do we know how all this violence started? CNN has the word "terror" in their top headline right now. Seems a little premature, at best.

Is the governor right to admonish these people, basically throwing them out, if we don't know who actually started the violence?

Or do we know? I'm not defending anybody, these are honest questions. I can't find information on who started what, but I'm seeing a lot of it thrown around. And it hurts me right now (tendonitis and more) to use the computer too much, so my searching is limited. Typing this hurt.

ETA: I'm starting to use voice to control my computer a bit

Last edited by mgidm86; 12th August 2017 at 05:43 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:41 PM   #131
sonofthor
Scholar

I think the media will get behind and back antifa and it'll back fire horribly....
Old 12th August 2017, 05:55 PM   #132
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I'm not going on a hunt through the denser parts of the web, so do you mean something other than that FB link you posted earlier?

The irresponsible doxxing of a suspect's home address.

The one with a different first name?
And BTW... that one has a VIN #, not a license plate.
(who the **** in the civilian public cares about a suspect vehicle's VIN #? )
Sounds like the wrong guy used to own the car and sold it [x] years ago. Sucks for that guy.

Suspect IDed now as James Alex Fields Jr (probably ninja'd above) and he's from Ohio. So out of towners are indeed part of this nonsense.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th August 2017 at 06:03 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 05:58 PM   #133
zorro99
Muse

The car is registered to 20-year-old James Alex Fields of Ohio, according to vehicle registration records reviewed by The Washington Post. Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail Superintendent Martin Kumer told The Post that a man with the same name and age was booked Saturday on suspicion of second-degree murder, malicious wounding, failure to stop for an accident involving a death, and hit and run. Kumer said Fields is being held without bail.

Records show Fields last lived in Maumee, Ohio, about 15 miles southwest of Toledo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.019b9afbd84b
Old 12th August 2017, 05:59 PM   #134
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
What's up with this car ramming thing? I read the car slammed a stopped car that then slammed another vehicle. Then the person in the car went in reverse and hit some people.

Do we know if this was deliberate? ...
Yes. Many witnesses and videos. Driver waited, peeled out ramming people and 2 cars stopped at the intersection waiting for the marchers to pass, then jammed it in reverse and hit more people on the way out.

Quote:
Do we know how all this violence started?
Yes, they came (at least some from out of town) armed with clubs and shields, to protest the removal of the Gen Lee statue. Some were also brandishing open carry guns.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th August 2017 at 06:02 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:00 PM   #135
zorro99
Muse

2 officers also killed
Old 12th August 2017, 06:04 PM   #136
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by sonofthor View Post
I think the media will get behind and back antifa and it'll back fire horribly....
Because?
Old 12th August 2017, 06:04 PM   #137
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
The car is registered to 20-year-old James Alex Fields of Ohio, according to vehicle registration records reviewed by The Washington Post. Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail Superintendent Martin Kumer told The Post that a man with the same name and age was booked Saturday on suspicion of second-degree murder, malicious wounding, failure to stop for an accident involving a death, and hit and run. Kumer said Fields is being held without bail.

Records show Fields last lived in Maumee, Ohio, about 15 miles southwest of Toledo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.019b9afbd84b
Ya found some info too. Thanks That and the image half way down this page is answering some of my questions. I can't express here how sick, sad and pissed off that makes me feel, and on many levels.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:05 PM   #138
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Can you explain?
I probably can, yes.
Please do!
Old 12th August 2017, 06:07 PM   #139
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Please do!
He won't. He's not the type to take responsibility.
Old 12th August 2017, 06:12 PM   #140
mgidm86
Illuminator

2 officers also killed
I'd seen rumors earlier that they were killed in a helicopter crash.

I see an article that says they were cops, and that the crash was linked to the rally. Another article says it is not known whether it was linked and has no timestamp. So no links here from me.
Old 12th August 2017, 06:13 PM   #141
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

In the video one guy says he's there for Republicans, the free market and "killing jews".
Old 12th August 2017, 06:15 PM   #142
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
He won't. He's not the type to take responsibility.
I know. Just rubbing it down his pimply face.
Old 12th August 2017, 06:34 PM   #143
mgidm86
Illuminator

In this video the car heads fast straight down the street and appears to miss all the people when he could have gone up the sidewalk and hit plenty, and then slams straight into the car. Maybe the pedestrians saw him coming and moved, or maybe he hit people further up ahead before hitting the other car. Just wondering if hitting people was his initial motivation.

Video (graphic)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...812-story.html

Quote:
Matt Korbon, a 22-year-old University of Virginia student, said several hundred counter-protesters were marching when "suddenly there was just this tire screeching sound." A silver Dodge Challenger smashed into another car, then backed up, barreling through "a sea of people."
This is an image of the car that was rammed by the arrested driver. I saw this earlier and thought it was the driver's car. The other photo had a better angle.

https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress...?w=4928&h=3280

The license plate of this car says GODKP*E (where * = I don't know). I thought this was the driver's car earlier and assumed it was a nationalist because of the god reference (so sue me), so now I wonder if it still has anything to do with it. Maybe the car was the target, then he ran over the people while fleeing?

Edit:
Quote:
Shortly after, a Virginia State Police helicopter that officials said was assisting with the rally crashed outside Charlottesville, killing the pilot and a trooper.
Same link as above.

Last edited by mgidm86; 12th August 2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12th August 2017, 06:35 PM   #144
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
...Yes, they came (at least some from out of town) armed with clubs and shields, to protest the removal of the Gen Lee statue. Some were also brandishing open carry guns.
TBF, they probably felt they needed all the gear after last year's ass-kicking they received from Antifa and BAMN in Sacramento.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Sacramento_riot
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:39 PM   #145
Argumemnon
World Maker

No it isn't.
Assuming you care about democracy, yes it is. Course, that's if.

Quote:
And I didn't celebrate it, I considered it good news.
Wow, and people accuse me of splitting hairs.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:39 PM   #146
NoahFence
Suspended

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Celebrating the death of two policemen in a helicopter is really beyond the pale, Caveman.
Someone's gotta logger while the logger is on vacation....
NoahFence is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:43 PM   #147
Argumemnon
World Maker

Yeah they just "happen" to wear a uniform. Luckily that uniform allows us to know these people to belong to a particular armed gang of mercenaries who are sworn to, and paid to, violently enforce the capitalist order.
Have you ever worked in the public sector, sir?

You know that what you wrote there is just a rhetorical trick to make policemen appear far worse than they really are. It's easy to do. Tell me what your field is and I'll do the same.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:47 PM   #148
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
He can't afford to alienate the Nazi vote at this point.
Or the Nazis in his administration.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:48 PM   #149
Cain
Straussian

I want to blame, and THANK, Obama. He started a race war, but the white man has regained consciousness in the process, and decided to take back his country.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 06:51 PM   #150
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Old 12th August 2017, 07:06 PM   #151
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I want to blame, and THANK, Obama. He started a race war, but the white man has regained consciousness in the process, and decided to take back his country.
It isn't white people's country.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:13 PM   #152
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

White supremacists show up to an event looking for a fight... then proceed to play victim when violence happens.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:14 PM   #153
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
White supremacists show up to an event looking for a fight... then proceed to play victim when violence happens.
Even if you go looking for violence, you are still the victim if you are the victim of it.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:23 PM   #154
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

@GovernorVA Refuses to condemn antifa as well as neo Nazi...And there lays the problem. Rather than stopping an illegal "anti-protest" they let them turn up for trouble.

Why was the anti-protest illegal?

When the city told the Nazis they had to change the venue because the size of the expected crowd had grown so much the Mayor said this.
Quote:
In an earlier statement, Charlottesville Mayor Mike Signer said city leaders support moving the event to McIntire Park "because of the ballooning size of the event's attendance."
"Just as the 'Unite the Right' participants have the right to air their views, so do those who want to protest against those views," he said. "Democracy can be noisy, and it can be messy."
If the mayor didn't think it was illegal for them to be there, why do you?

Last edited by quadraginta; 12th August 2017 at 07:26 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:23 PM   #155
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Even if you go looking for violence, you are still the victim if you are the victim of it.
Duh!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:25 PM   #156
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Trump is RIGHT! Both sides are cancer, the difference is just in the details!

Yeah, it's difference between benign and malignant tumors.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:30 PM   #157
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I'd like to take a moment to share this hilarious photographic record of Richard Spencer being arrested at today's event:

Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:44 PM   #158
sonofthor
Scholar

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
Yeah, it's difference between benign and malignant tumors.
Right! Which "kind" of cancer is good? The really bad kind or just plain old everyday caner....
Old 12th August 2017, 07:49 PM   #159
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I'd like to take a moment to share this hilarious photographic record of Richard Spencer being arrested at today's event:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHC8xr_WAAMm3bz.jpg

Twitter doesn't seem to like hotlinking (no image is shown), so I just turned it into a link.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2017, 07:51 PM   #160
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Right! Which "kind" of cancer is good? The really bad kind or just plain old everyday caner....

That's the wrong question.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics