ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags favorite books , recommended books

Old 15th October 2014, 11:40 AM   #4761
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
And thus my aging memory fails me....
It happens to us all.
May I please have more information on this publisher? Perhaps the books are available on this side of the pond.
Pan-McMillian, they list her books here and ship worldwide AFAIK. However they're Stg£15, and attempting an order gets the message that it'll be dispatched when available so they may not all be in print.

I encountered my first Manning Coles book on my parents' bookshelves, sometime about 1955. I got hooked immediately.
I was recommended him by Michael Gallagher in Murder Ink a few years ago, when RM started to reprint him.
Another series author who just came to mind: Maurice Proctor, whose character was DCI Harry Martineau.
I think I read Hell Is a City year ago, I must have a look for more. Thanks.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2014, 12:07 PM   #4762
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Quote:
they're Stg£15

What does this mean??
Old 15th October 2014, 01:14 PM   #4763
catsmate1
Penultimate Amazing

What does this mean??
Fifteen pounds Sterling.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2014, 05:04 PM   #4764
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Aha. It was "Stg" that left me confused. "£15" would have been clear.

Thanks.
Old 16th October 2014, 09:29 AM   #4765
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe

I am reading, No Easy Day, By Mark Owens. So far it is interesting, especially how the Obama administration prolonged them from rescuing Capt. Philips because he did not want the pirates killed. It almost allowed Osama Bin Laden to escape because it dragged its feet on giving the go ahead for the mission to take place and again it was because they did not want Bin Laden killed.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end" - R. J. Wiedermann LtCol. USMC Ret.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2014, 09:38 AM   #4766
Denver
Philosopher

Starting into Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes, by Edith Hamilton

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts