ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags murder cases , Oscar Pistorius , South Africa cases

Reply
Old 20th February 2016, 07:26 AM   #401
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 10,050
The police also found Steenkamp had taken not one but two smartphones with her to the bathroom. What seems ironic is, Samson you are professing to be absolutely certain Pistorius shot Steenkamp accidentally yet once again you have demonstrated you actually know little about the case.

The most telling was your argument that Steenkamp's "empty bladder" meant she had urinated within moments of being shot. You placed great importance on that. In fact, it turned out that only meant she had gone to the bathroom within an hour of being shot. It could actually be viewed as evidence Steenkamp had not gone to the bathroom because she had to go -- she had already gone -- but for another reason.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 11:26 AM   #402
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The police also found Steenkamp had taken not one but two smartphones with her to the bathroom. What seems ironic is, Samson you are professing to be absolutely certain Pistorius shot Steenkamp accidentally yet once again you have demonstrated you actually know little about the case.

The most telling was your argument that Steenkamp's "empty bladder" meant she had urinated within moments of being shot. You placed great importance on that. In fact, it turned out that only meant she had gone to the bathroom within an hour of being shot. It could actually be viewed as evidence Steenkamp had not gone to the bathroom because she had to go -- she had already gone -- but for another reason.
The only issue I have is that argument can be used in any case where you disagree with the judgement of the jury and/or judge.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 02:34 PM   #403
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
The police also found Steenkamp had taken not one but two smartphones with her to the bathroom. What seems ironic is, Samson you are professing to be absolutely certain Pistorius shot Steenkamp accidentally yet once again you have demonstrated you actually know little about the case.

The most telling was your argument that Steenkamp's "empty bladder" meant she had urinated within moments of being shot. You placed great importance on that. In fact, it turned out that only meant she had gone to the bathroom within an hour of being shot. It could actually be viewed as evidence Steenkamp had not gone to the bathroom because she had to go -- she had already gone -- but for another reason.
If you are saying she got dressed to go to the bathroom that is unheard of, and I would concede, but if she kipped in those clothes there is an opposite inference to be made. The evidence is clear that she had urinated in that bathroom before being shot, due to normal volumes, and if accepting the post mortem.
I am drawing a line through common sense and Masipa's judgement in believing OP's story in other words.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 02:42 PM   #404
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,715
Mark Twain makes the comment in Tom Sawyer that there are some people in society who will defend the innocence of the worst and most guilty criminals alive.

Now, I know what he means.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 02:43 PM   #405
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arcadia, Greece
Posts: 24,814
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
If you are saying she got dressed to go to the bathroom that is unheard of, and I would concede, but if she kipped in those clothes there is an opposite inference to be made. The evidence is clear that she had urinated in that bathroom before being shot, due to normal volumes, and if accepting the post mortem.
I am drawing a line through common sense and Masipa's judgement in believing OP's story in other words.
It was a hot night, to the extent that OP supposedly brought fans in from the balcony to cool them. Who sleeps in their clothes - however flimsy - on such a night? I suspect she never undressed fully for bed, following a major spat. Thinking OP was asleep she took both phones to the bathroom to investigate the contents of his, perhaps.
GlennB is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 02:55 PM   #406
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
I think I would actually be more sympathetic if he had been in the bedroom and she had been in the other room with the suggestion that she had just gotten there. That is one reason why the case out of North Carolina was seen as more likely to be mistaken identity with regards to self defense.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 03:34 PM   #407
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
I think I would actually be more sympathetic if he had been in the bedroom and she had been in the other room with the suggestion that she had just gotten there. That is one reason why the case out of North Carolina was seen as more likely to be mistaken identity with regards to self defense.
I am not sympathetic anyway, just interested in the academic pursuit of his state of knowledge/belief. Common sense says he was certain it was an intruder or certain it was Reeva, nothing in between.
The likelihood of a gun nut deciding his big moment had arrived, a girlfriend to shoot at is ridiculous, but the converse, an intruder to shoot at fills textbooks on gun nuttery.

But maybe Pistorius is a ridiculous man? Until now there is little evidence outside his puerile fetish with guns.

Last edited by Samson; 20th February 2016 at 03:36 PM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 03:54 PM   #408
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
I am not sympathetic anyway, just interested in the academic pursuit of his state of knowledge/belief. Common sense says he was certain it was an intruder or certain it was Reeva, nothing in between.
The likelihood of a gun nut deciding his big moment had arrived, a girlfriend to shoot at is ridiculous, but the converse, an intruder to shoot at fills textbooks on gun nuttery.

But maybe Pistorius is a ridiculous man? Until now there is little evidence outside his puerile fetish with guns.
Good judges will try to be conservative with their decisions. Little "c," not big "C" where the decision try to avoid as much interpretation as possible. As such, they are trying to avoid looking at if he was trying to kill her specifically (even though my opinion was that he knew he was shooting at her and I suspect they are of the same opinion) but no matter what, firing into a bathroom with a locked / closed door is not acceptable.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 04:31 PM   #409
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 10,050
I don't think the trial judge was being conservative by failing to find for premeditated murder. The state didn't provide enough evidence to prove it. There was still room for a reasonable doubt.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 04:38 PM   #410
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I don't think the trial judge was being conservative by failing to find for premeditated murder. The state didn't provide enough evidence to prove it. There was still room for a reasonable doubt.
I think the case can be solved by a thorough analysis which has not happened. This will include all the phone transcripts and recordings in sequence, real time, and more study on the question whether the screaming was Pistorius only. These long winded stories almost always show the original account shows the way, and ironically resolve in favour of the accused. I will not list them here but I am thinking of a dozen right now.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 04:47 PM   #411
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,715
I hear there's a move to exonerate Crippen.

Anyone interested in signing up?
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 04:55 PM   #412
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I hear there's a move to exonerate Crippen.

Anyone interested in signing up?
Risking ridicule for taking you seriously, we could throw in Wallace James Bolton and the poisoned professor locally, and start a thread.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 05:11 PM   #413
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I hear there's a move to exonerate Crippen.

Anyone interested in signing up?
I will argue that the evidence used against him was BS even if he was probably guilty.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 05:14 PM   #414
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I don't think the trial judge was being conservative by failing to find for premeditated murder. The state didn't provide enough evidence to prove it. There was still room for a reasonable doubt.
Getting angry and shooting at her because of it would not be premeditated either.

What I mean by conservative is this - marked by moderation or caution. We forget that definition these days.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 05:15 PM   #415
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
Good judges will try to be conservative with their decisions. Little "c," not big "C" where the decision try to avoid as much interpretation as possible. As such, they are trying to avoid looking at if he was trying to kill her specifically (even though my opinion was that he knew he was shooting at her and I suspect they are of the same opinion) but no matter what, firing into a bathroom with a locked / closed door is not acceptable.
DF, as a gun man of the world, can you say if Reeva would have survived if the head shot had missed completely?
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 05:26 PM   #416
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
DF, as a gun man of the world, can you say if Reeva would have survived if the head shot had missed completely?
I have never killed anyone, hopefully I never will have to. I am not sure where she was hit otherwise. Looking what I can find quickly, was she hit twice in the head?
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 05:33 PM   #417
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
I have never killed anyone, hopefully I never will have to. I am not sure where she was hit otherwise. Looking what I can find quickly, was she hit twice in the head?
Ok here it is

Reeva Steenkamp was standing in a toilet cubicle and facing the closed door when she was hit in the right hip by the first of four hollow-point bullets fired at her by Oscar Pistorius, a police ballistics expert testified on Wednesday at the double-amputee Olympic runner's murder trial.

Steenkamp then fell back on to a magazine holder in the cubicle and was struck in the right arm and head by the last two shots fired by Pistorius with his 9mm pistol through the door. Pistorius's girlfriend crossed her arms over her head to protect herself, Captain Christian Mangena said, when she was hit in the arm and head. He testified that he believed the second bullet shot missed Steenkamp and ricocheted off a wall inside the cubicle and broke into fragments, which caused bruising on her back.

Mangena concluded through his analysis of the shooting scene and wounds on Steenkamp's body from postmortem photographs that one of the final two bullets went through Steenkamp's left hand before penetrating her skull as she held it over her head. The policeman said he couldn't determine the order of the last two shots.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 05:47 PM   #418
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Also

Steenkamp was wearing a pair of sports shorts with a Nike logo, a former sponsor of Pistorius and a black undershirt when she was shot, he said.

.................................................. .........
Sounds like sensible attire for a modest woman.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 07:20 PM   #419
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
As a lay person with a bit of knowledge, unless the other injuries hit another vial organ or cause severe blood loss, the odds are good that she could have survived.

However, I am not sure why this would be important.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 07:30 PM   #420
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
As a lay person with a bit of knowledge, unless the other injuries hit another vial organ or cause severe blood loss, the odds are good that she could have survived.

However, I am not sure why this would be important.
50/50 I see one pathologist says. Important? It sure would have been helpful to truth finding if she had, but also it has a bearing on whether Oscar thought he was a killing machine or firing serious warning shots in a semi safe direction. There is no point in everyone declaring they know what he thought without considering alternative outcomes with the same blind shooting.
What amazes me is that there is such ready acceptance that a man would deliberately end his career this way. Extremely unlikely, but not impossible. If there is a plausibility about each and every thing Oscar has said, then we can eliminate as sure thing he knew who was in there. Then we have an infinitely more common scenario, man at war with gun to defend his territory.

Think of the number of ways Oscar could have proceeded if his GF was saying I'm leaving, without killing her. Isn't it normal for successful people to disengage in a more sane way? No one ever suggests a remotely similar case, to the proposal here.
I don't buy into it without a data point that he can't explain in an innocent way.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 07:39 PM   #421
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing
 
newyorkguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NY
Posts: 10,050
A modest woman? She was a model and obviously proud of her body. Among her modeling assignments were those for lingerie (see below) and bikinis. In fact, in reading about her it is hard not to get the idea that she was probably murdered deliberately by Oscar Pistorius.

Pistorius was known for having a fascination with handguns and had used them recklessly in the past. He could be bad-tempered, he had an anxiety disorder. Steenkamp told her mother there were times she was afraid of him. That they fought constantly. Pistorius is facing a 10-15 year prison sentence. He'll be out before he's forty-five. He can pick up his life and go on.

Steenkamp's modeling and television career had been going very well, she had a law degree to fall back on. She was gritty; in her early 20s she broke her back when she fell from a horse she was riding and had to learn to walk again. She deserved an infinitely better fate than what she got.


Last edited by newyorkguy; 20th February 2016 at 09:38 PM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 07:39 PM   #422
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
You agree that OJ Simpson killed his ex-wife?
There are others such as former assistant Attorney General Thomas Capano who killed his mistress.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 08:17 PM   #423
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,715
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
I will argue that the evidence used against him was BS even if he was probably guilty.
Funnily enough, I reckon you could actually make a case for Crippen.

It's ok though - I'm not going to!

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
.... four hollow-point bullets fired ....
Yet you defend him with vigour.

All I can is thank christ the appeal court isn't full of morons. In my view, little Oscar should have pled insanity.

Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
You agree that OJ Simpson killed his ex-wife?
That would be a good subject to resurrect; there must be threads on it. I have no idea - I know three things about OJ & his murder trial:

1 He was found not guilty
2 The glove didn't fit
3 His lawyer is the reason the Kardashians are known outside of places where revolting things live under rocks
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2016, 11:51 PM   #424
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
There have been a number of famous people who have committed murder even when their star seems to be still rising . . . Don't see why Oscar Pistorius would be any different.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2016, 12:51 AM   #425
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
There have been a number of famous people who have committed murder even when their star seems to be still rising . . . Don't see why Oscar Pistorius would be any different.
Who?

Last edited by Samson; 21st February 2016 at 12:53 AM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2016, 01:11 AM   #426
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Who?
Hmm, some names:
Michael Jace, Rae Carruth, Michael Brae, Sid Vicious, Robert Blake, Phil Spector, Gig Young, Aaron Hernandez, and Fay DeWitt
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2016, 03:18 AM   #427
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
Hmm, some names:
Michael Jace, Rae Carruth, Michael Brae, Sid Vicious, Robert Blake, Phil Spector, Gig Young, Aaron Hernandez, and Fay DeWitt
Ok this should be easy. None of them will be quite like Pistorius
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2016, 04:39 AM   #428
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Ok this should be easy. None of them will be quite like Pistorius
No, not many people fire 9 mm pistols through closed bathroom doors at somebody hiding in the bathroom.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2016, 05:28 AM   #429
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
No, not many people fire 9 mm pistols through closed bathroom doors at somebody hiding in the bathroom.
DF, many people take action against unproved threats.

Try this

https://www.cartoons.ac.uk/record/AC2135
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2016, 11:58 AM   #430
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
DF, many people take action against unproved threats.

Try this

https://www.cartoons.ac.uk/record/AC2135
And, unless you live in Texas or Florida, those actions have consequences.. . . . .And if you a black woman in Florida, they still have consequences in Florida.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2016, 11:53 AM   #431
Belgian thought
Master Poster
 
Belgian thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,157
Oscar Pistorius denied leave to appeal for Steenkamp murder

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35720684

Sentencing on 18th April

I for one am glad.
__________________
... er, that's it
Belgian thought is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:39 PM   #432
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,715
Yep. Bravo to the RSA Court of Appeal.

I hope he rots there, although I bet there is very strong favourable sentiment towards him by white prison guards at the very least.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:48 PM   #433
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Yep. Bravo to the RSA Court of Appeal.

I hope he rots there, although I bet there is very strong favourable sentiment towards him by white prison guards at the very least.
Clearly you missed the punchline. Wise judge Masipa has total control.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2016, 01:28 PM   #434
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery
 
lionking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 43,824
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Clearly you missed the punchline. Wise judge Masipa has total control.
Utter rot. Masipa was wrong. The end of the line for Oscar, and justice for Reeva. 15 years hard time for the murderer.
__________________
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2016, 02:16 PM   #435
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 8,274
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Utter rot. Masipa was wrong. The end of the line for Oscar, and justice for Reeva. 15 years hard time for the murderer.
As always I respectfully disagree.
However, minds are seldom changed in these discussions, but I am sure that he thought he was shooting at an intruder, and whatever term you choose, murder, homicide, self defence is up to the individual.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2016, 03:17 PM   #436
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13,779
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
As always I respectfully disagree.
However, minds are seldom changed in these discussions, but I am sure that he thought he was shooting at an intruder, and whatever term you choose, murder, homicide, self defence is up to the individual.

Well no - "whatever term you choose" is up to legislation and to the way that legislation is enforced. Otherwise it would be a mad free-for-all, where anything could be categorisable as "self-defence" or even "accident".

And I'm not sure you understand the conviction either. In fact, the conviction is agnostic on who Pistorius thought he was shooting at. The murder conviction comes because regardless of who Pistorius genuinely did think he was shooting at, he a) was not acting in self-defence as the law defines it, b) deliberately aimed and fired the shots through the closed door, knowing there to be a human on the other side of the door, and c) had to have known that his deliberate act was likely to have caused the death or very serious injury of whoever was behind that door.

It's on that last point that Masipa made such a dreadful error in law in her original erroneous verdict - one which the SC (and now the CC) corrected. And Masipa is bound by law to apply the appropriate sentence for a murder conviction of this nature - so I think you're also wrong to imply that she might somehow impose a lenient sentence.

Personally, I think (and I believe the SC and CC probably think) that the only rational narrative that fits all the available evidence (and lack of evidence) is that Pistorius knowingly fired at Steenkamp that night - and that the "intruder" story is a) incompatible with the totality of the evidence, and b) a hasty concoction by Pistorius to try to justify his actions. But it's critical to understand that this case was NEVER about determining whether or not Pistorius knew it was Steenkamp behind the door - and thus the state never even needed to set out to prove that in any way. The point is that Pistorius knew - by his own admission - that there was a human behind that door, in a very small toilet room whose layout and dimensions Pistorius knew very well. Pistorius therefore had to have known that when he raised, aimed and fired his powerful handgun through the door, the military ammunition (which he knew the gun was loaded with) would almost certainly hit whoever was behind the door, with a high possibility of a fatal outcome. And regardless of whether Pistorius truly believed it was Steenkamp or an intruder behind that door, Pistorius cannot have been in imminent mortal danger at that point. He himself admitted that the door never opened - that he reacted simply to "a noise" from within the toilet. And by definition (since in fact it was Steenkamp behind the door), Pistorius cannot have heard any vocal threats from a mythical intruder, nor can he even have had any reason to believe that the person behind the door was armed.

So I very very strongly believe that the murder conviction against Pistorius was justified and appropriate. I hope that he will serve his punishment quietly and diligently, and that he'll make efforts to rehabilitate himself and reform himself. In this instance, I also happen to think that there's a strong "public protection" element to his inevitable long incarceration - I think he genuinely would pose a significant threat were he to remain within the community without any punishment, reform or rehabilitation.

All very sad. And all very disquieting, by the way, to read the "sceptics" here making rabid comments along the lines of "I hope he rots" and so on. Shame.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2016, 04:02 PM   #437
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,715
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
... but I am sure that he thought he was shooting at an intruder,...
Love your confidence!

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
All very sad. And all very disquieting, by the way, to read the "sceptics" here making rabid comments along the lines of "I hope he rots" and so on. Shame.
I hope you're not including me in that, because I don't identify as a sceptic.

I'm also happy to stand by the "rotting in jail".

This isn't some sad event - this is a bloke who has killed a beautiful young woman in a fit of pique*, then tried to manipulate everyone around him, creating a coldly calculated sympathetic figure to preserve his place at the head of Afrikaner pride. Throwing up in court was supposed to be the master stroke no doubt. The trial judge bought it to the extent that she clearly subverted South African law with her judgement.

Lots of people are disabled; few are crippled, and Oscar is clearly one of those.

*Most likely because Rena was moving on to a bloke with the usual number of legs.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2016, 05:59 PM   #438
Desert Fox
Philosopher
 
Desert Fox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 6,147
I would far prefer Steenkamp was alive and Pistorius never fired into the bathroom.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
- - - -Bertrand Russell
Desert Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2016, 06:34 PM   #439
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,715
Me too, but since that can't happen, locking Oscar up for a very long time would be appropriate.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2016, 06:49 PM   #440
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7,389
Originally Posted by Desert Fox View Post
I would far prefer Steenkamp was alive and Pistorius never fired into the bathroom.
Who doesn't?
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.