ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Jeff Sessions , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations

Old 15th March 2017, 09:10 AM   #481
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yeah what's a little death and pestilence compared to a solid, hearty laugh?
Laughter is the best medicine especially if you have appendicitis.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 10:59 AM   #482
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
You seem pretty clear that the killing of Bin Laden was a "douche move" and/or "dickishness". That sure sounds like you have complaints.
Suit yourself. As they say in the old country, "com gosto não se discute".
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 11:10 AM   #483
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Suit yourself. As they say in the old country, "com gosto não se discute".
To each his own, indeed. It still surprises me to see the complete 180 conservatives have done on everything from Russia to Presidential golf trips to now even killing Bin Laden, but I suppose it shouldn't.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 11:14 AM   #484
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Alcohol. He was thinking of alcohol.

Wait, no, he wasn't thinking at all.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 11:24 AM   #485
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Alcohol and pharma groups have been quietly backing anti-marijuana efforts across the US as calls for legalization ramp up.
Quote:
Marijuana legalization will unleash misery on Arizona, according to a wave of television ads that started rolling out across the state last month. Replete with ominous music, the advertisements feature lawmakers and teachers who paint a bleak future for Arizona’s children if voters approve Proposition 205, a measure that would allow people aged 21 and over to possess an ounce of pot and grow up to six plants for recreational use.

“Colorado schools were promised millions in new revenues” when the state approved recreational pot use, says the voiceover in one ad. Instead, schoolchildren were plagued by “marijuana edibles that look like candy”.
It's always about someone's profits.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 11:37 AM   #486
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

To each his own, indeed. It still surprises me to see the complete 180 conservatives have done on everything from Russia to Presidential golf trips to now even killing Bin Laden, but I suppose it shouldn't.
If you're looking for a 180 on the bin Laden thing, you're looking in the wrong place. I think it should be possible for us to discuss our understanding of the role and prerogatives of the presidency, and even disagree about those things, without trying to co-opt each other's views into bogus point-scoring narratives.

I'd appreciate it if you actually made a good faith effort to understand my views, and if you don't succeed, be content with not understanding. To force your own desired conclusion about my beliefs from the beginning of the conversation, is offensive and counter-productive. Do you want more Trump? Because that's kinda how you get more Trump.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 11:45 AM   #487
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Exactly. There were never any actual principles involved, so there really isn't any surprise.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 11:48 AM   #488
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
He's already told us. He's thinks Trump is pulling off a beautiful Machiavellian act of genius.

Just pretending to be a clueless nitwit while he distracts everyone from anything that might actually cause him trouble.
And being a pathological liar is now an admirable thing, apparently.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 12:20 PM   #489
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
If you're looking for a 180 on the bin Laden thing, you're looking in the wrong place. I think it should be possible for us to discuss our understanding of the role and prerogatives of the presidency, and even disagree about those things, without trying to co-opt each other's views into bogus point-scoring narratives.

I'd appreciate it if you actually made a good faith effort to understand my views, and if you don't succeed, be content with not understanding. To force your own desired conclusion about my beliefs from the beginning of the conversation, is offensive and counter-productive. Do you want more Trump? Because that's kinda how you get more Trump.
I asked for clarification. You repeated your view, but changed douche move to dickishness. If you didn't mean to apply that to the killing of Bin Laden, you could have said so. As it is, all I can do is go by what you did say, and I notice that rather than amend or explain your original statement, you ask me to make a good faith effort to understand it.

I think I do understand it.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 12:38 PM   #490
MuDPhuD
Muse

Turns out, he skipped that line when he actually gave the speach, but I have no doubt that is how he really feels. Prepare to see arrests in Colorado, etc., or some other Federal move to punish the rouge states who are going down the legalization path.
MuDPhuD is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2017, 05:01 PM   #491
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Exactly. There were never any actual principles involved, so there really isn't any surprise.
I think you are incorrect.

There have been principles. Only now we see who is willing to abandon them.
Old 15th March 2017, 08:21 PM   #492
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by MuDPhuD View Post
Turns out, he skipped that line when he actually gave the speach, but I have no doubt that is how he really feels. Prepare to see arrests in Colorado, etc., or some other Federal move to punish the rouge states who are going down the legalization path.

There's no need to tease them about their makeup, no matter how depraved they are.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."

Last edited by quadraginta; 15th March 2017 at 08:22 PM.
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th March 2017, 04:40 PM   #493
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LSSBB View Post
I think you are incorrect.

There have been principles. Only now we see who is willing to abandon them.
With a few notable exceptions, I believe the only authentic Republican principle (in the tea-party age) has been nothing more than pure self interest. Period.

Wollen owns the stage
Old 17th March 2017, 05:40 PM   #494
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

This is an interesting wrinkle.

Fired U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara Said to Have Been Investigating HHS Secretary Tom Price

Quote:
Former U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara, who was removed from his post by the Trump administration last week, was overseeing an investigation into stock trades made by the president’s health secretary, according to a person familiar with the office.

Tom Price, head of the Department of Health and Human Services, came under scrutiny during his confirmation hearings for investments he made while serving in Congress. The Georgia lawmaker traded hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of shares in health-related companies, even as he voted on and sponsored legislation affecting the industry.

Price testified at the time that his trades were lawful and transparent. Democrats accused him of potentially using his office to enrich himself. One lawmaker called for an investigation by the Securities and Exchange Commission, citing concerns Price could have violated the STOCK Act, a 2012 law signed by President Obama that clarified that members of Congress cannot use nonpublic information for profit and requires them to promptly disclose their trades.

The investigation of Price’s trades by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, which hasn’t been previously disclosed, was underway at the time of Bharara’s dismissal, said the person.

Bharara was one of 46 U.S. attorneys asked to resign after Trump took office. It is standard for new presidents to replace those officials with their own appointees. But Bharara’s firing came as a surprise because the president had met with him at Trump Tower soon after the election. As he left that meeting, Bharara told reporters Trump asked if he would be prepared to remain in his post, and said that he had agreed to stay on.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2017, 06:55 PM   #495
trustbutverify
Philosopher

I believe the phrase is "lock him up".

Wollen owns the stage

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics