ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Jeff Sessions , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations

Old 2nd March 2017, 02:34 PM   #121
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
He was so "taken aback" by Senator Franken's question that he was unable to answer it truthfully? That contradicts the honest and truthful at the time excuse.
Not a very good presser selling himself, IMHO.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:36 PM   #122
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
VERY selective cropping of images of tweets.
No it's not. She's a *********** liar, just like Sessions, the only difference is she didn't do it under oath.
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:36 PM   #123
KatieG
Rootin' Tootin' Raspberry

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A lot of pot users are getting a lot of enjoyment from this story......
I certainly am

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:37 PM   #124
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

He was so "taken aback" by Senator Franken's question that he was unable to answer it truthfully? That contradicts the honest and truthful at the time excuse.
Sorry, I meant in the press conference, not the hearing. I expect seasoned Senators to handle themselves better.

Last edited by marplots; 2nd March 2017 at 02:38 PM.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:37 PM   #125
Stacko
Penultimate Amazing

Why did Jeff Sessions wait until he was caught to decide he had a conflict of interest worthy of recusal?
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:37 PM   #126
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39148114

US Attorney General Jeff Sessions has removed himself from an FBI investigation into alleged Russian interference in the US election.

Calls for his recusal mounted after revelations that he met Russia's envoy during the election, apparently contradicting his earlier statements.

America's top prosecutor testified at his confirmation hearing that he had "no communications with the Russians".

President Donald Trump has said he has "total confidence" in Mr Sessions.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:38 PM   #127
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
No it's not. She's a *********** liar, just like Sessions, the only difference is she didn't do it under oath.
But McCaskill, also a member of the committee, tweeted that she has never had contact with the ambassador in her capacity on the Armed Services Committee.

You appear to be claiming she met with the Russians in her capacity on the Armed Services Committee ? Evidence ?
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:40 PM   #128
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Why did Jeff Sessions wait until he was caught to decide he had a conflict of interest worthy of recusal?
Good question. My guess? Political theater.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:40 PM   #129
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39148114

US Attorney General Jeff Sessions has removed himself from an FBI investigation into alleged Russian interference in the US election.

Calls for his recusal mounted after revelations that he met Russia's envoy during the election, apparently contradicting his earlier statements.

America's top prosecutor testified at his confirmation hearing that he had "no communications with the Russians".

President Donald Trump has said he has "total confidence" in Mr Sessions.
So three days before asking him to resign?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:42 PM   #130
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Along with his claim to have met the Ukrainian ambassador the day before. It's a regular United Nations.

I don't know why some Congresspeople like to dabble in foreign affairs. Rep Gabbard going to Syria or Sen Franken going to Afghanistan and Pakistan. I've always assumed it's part of their jobs, but maybe not.
If you are on the foreign affairs or military commitees, it IS part of your job. You seem to be a little confused about foreign affaris. The President does NOT have a monopoly on foreign affairs. It is a joint responsibility...although the tradition has been to allow the POTUS to take the lead. But the POTUS does not have, and never has had, total control and power over foreign affairs.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:42 PM   #131
KatieG

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
The Russian embassy did not respond to requests for comment.

also:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.48abc5d1fe9a
he Washington Post contacted all 26 members of the 2016 Senate Armed Services Committee to see whether any lawmakers besides Sessions met with Kislyak in 2016. Of the 20 lawmakers who responded, every senator, including Chairman John McCain (R-Ariz.), said they did not meet with the Russian ambassador last year. The other lawmakers on the panel did not respond as of Wednesday evening.

ETA: from stacko in another thread: https://twitter.com/adamentous/statu...90959193309186
We reached all 26 members of the 2016 Armed Services Committee to see who met with Russian envoy Kislyak in 2016. Sessions was the only one.

Which he ? And your lack of imagination is not a good argument.

No we haven't.

We've come to a point where we have Manafort, Flynn, Sessions and as yet unnamed other frequently meeting with Russians during the campaign , and trying to cover it up and lie about it, which merits investigation and suspicion at this point.

awesome.jpg

Basically, if the GOP doesn't want to be called the white supremacy party, they should stop acting like they are.
-Mumbles
KatieG is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:43 PM   #132
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Along with his claim to have met the Ukrainian ambassador the day before. It's a regular United Nations.

I don't know why some Congresspeople like to dabble in foreign affairs. Rep Gabbard going to Syria or Sen Franken going to Afghanistan and Pakistan. I've always assumed it's part of their jobs, but maybe not.
Chris Matthews is also noting how absurd, given the current events at the time of this meeting, that Sessions would not have had the hacking on his mind when he met with the Russian ambassador. It makes Sessions' claim to have had little more than chitchat wholly lacking cred, and to not bring that up during the confirmation hearing even less credible.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:44 PM   #133
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

More bridges in Brooklyn for sale.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:45 PM   #134
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KatieG View Post
I certainly am
And don't think that the lukewarm at best support he has been getting from the Republcians in Congress is not related to his hard line,back to the 1950's "Reefer Madness" view of pot. That is a losing issue for the GOP,it total anthema to the Libertarian wing of the party ,the GOP congress critters know it. They resent Sessions saddling them with an issue that is a loser for them.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:46 PM   #135
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't seem to make sense to me. Why would the Russian ambassador just happen to pass by the Senator's office to say howdy? Why was he even in the building? Was he there for a meeting with someone else? Clearly, it was not anyone on that committee, but maybe he was meeting with someone else.

Because if he just came to the Capitol building to meet with Sessions, then there is no way in hell it was for idle chitchat.

I don't know the answer. Maybe he was there for something else. Someone might want to look into that....maybe "investigate" it.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:48 PM   #136
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
And yet she had a specific reason to meet with the Russian ambassador, the event would surely be confirmable, and no other members on the Arms Committee in the past year met with the Russian ambassador while Sessions met with him twice.

More news is coming out now, Kushner and Flynn met with the Russian envoy in Dec, and we are still to believe Trump and Pence didn't know?
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:48 PM   #137
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

I certainly am
These posts might be related
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:54 PM   #138
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The other big thing is that Trump speech to Congress now seems like ancient history. Whatever momentum he got from it has been badly decreased by this.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:56 PM   #139
logger
Banned

Its really fun watching the left go all in on something so ridiculous. Eight years of this should be quite boring. As Trump steam rolls your agenda, I'm sure the crying will get louder.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 02:57 PM   #140
logger
Banned

The other big thing is that Trump speech to Congress now seems like ancient history. Whatever momentum he got from it has been badly decreased by this.
No you're wrong. Its just the beginning.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:00 PM   #141
KatieG

Originally Posted by TheL8Elvis View Post
These posts might be related
What I hilited was a short, to the point, sums it all up comment about this situation. I give credit where credit is due

I did get electricity shot into my back to kill some nerves on Tuesday. Been curled up with my kindle, my dogs, and some kick butt stuff I got from my grower. Don't want Sessions to harsh my mellow

-Mumbles
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:02 PM   #142
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
No you're wrong. Its just the beginning.
I'm sure this is just the beginning. Only not in the way you and Trump would like.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:03 PM   #143
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Putin and friends have to be enjoying this. First, they help get an utter incompetent elected as President of the United States. That would be a good couple years' work, but now, thanks to the incompetence of those working for the incompetent, the US also has a discredited executive branch presided over by said utter incompetent. Total win/win for Russia's assassin-king.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:06 PM   #144
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
I'm sure this is just the beginning. Only not in the way you and Trump would like.
But then of course we have Pence if the left ever gets their little wet dream to come true. Your side is still screwed.
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:07 PM   #145
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
But then of course we have Pence if the left ever gets their little wet dream to come true. Your side is still screwed.
If by your side you mean the entire country ... spot on.
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:08 PM   #146
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Putin and friends have to be enjoying this. First, they help get an utter incompetent elected as President of the United States. That would be a good couple years' work, but now, thanks to the incompetence of those working for the incompetent, the US also has a discredited executive branch presided over by said utter incompetent. Total win/win for Russia's assassin-king.
It depends on what Putin was after. If he wanted a puppet who would give Putin sweetheart deals,that is over. Any deal favorable to Russia is totally toxic ....it is the one area where Trump has gotten pretty widespread and consistent pushback from the GOP in Congress....and is DOA.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:15 PM   #147
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

"Okay, FINE. I will recuse myself. Now can I get back to enacting as many racist policies as I can before I'm forced to resign? JEEZE."
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:30 PM   #148
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

If you are on the foreign affairs or military commitees, it IS part of your job. You seem to be a little confused about foreign affaris. The President does NOT have a monopoly on foreign affairs. It is a joint responsibility...although the tradition has been to allow the POTUS to take the lead. But the POTUS does not have, and never has had, total control and power over foreign affairs.
So what the meetings were about then, should have been related to Sessions' position on the Armed Services Committee, (not even considering the other committee members have had no such meetings over the past year)?

Here's the problem:

Transcript of Jeff Sessions’s recusal press conference, annotated
Quote:
SESSIONS: The Russian ambassador ... asked for a meeting, as so many of the ambassadors were doing. And we set up a time, as we did -- as we normally did. And we met with him.

Two of my senior staffers were there, and maybe a younger staffer, too. And they are both retired Army colonels, and not politicians, and we had a -- we listened to the ambassador and what his concerns might be.

QUESTION: Which were what?

SESSIONS: Well, it was just normal things, such as I started off by saying -- I don't remember a lot of it, but I do remember saying I'd gone to Russia with a church group in 1991, and he said he was not a believer himself but he was glad to have church people come there. Indeed, I thought he was pretty much of an old-style Soviet type ambassador.

And so, we talked about a little bit about terrorism as I recall.

And somehow the subject of the Ukraine came up. I had had the Ukraine ambassador in my office the day before. And to listen to him, nothing that Russia -- Russia had done nothing that was wrong in any area, and everybody else was wrong with regard to the Ukraine. It got to be a little bit of a testy conversation at that point.

It wrapped up, he said something about inviting me to have lunch. I did not accept that, and that never occurred.
Come on, these are supposed to be important things that Senators do, meet with ambassadors and the meeting was little more than chit-chat and a superficial discussion of the Ukraine?

And this was supposed to be a surprise to Sessions:
Quote:
And secondly, when you answered Senator Franken's question, were you just not thinking of the meeting with the Russian ambassador, or did you not consider it relevant?

SESSIONS: I was taken aback a little bit about this brand new information, this allegation that a surrogate -- and I had been called a surrogate for Donald Trump -- had been meeting continuously with Russian officials, and that's what I -- it struck me very hard, and that's what I focused my answer on.
He makes it sound like he had very little to do with Trump's campaign.

Here's a Breitbart article from a year ago: Trump Campaign Releases New Details About Sessions’ Role As Foreign Policy Adviser
Quote:
Donald Trump’s senior policy adviser Stephen Miller is explaining the detailed role Sen. Jeff Sessions will play as chairman of Trump’s Foreign Policy Advisory Committee.
“The news that I’m here to tell you about tonight,” Miller said on The Kelly File, “is that Senator Sessions is the Chairman of his Foreign Policy Committee. And that’s a major piece of news, I mean, who’s Ted Cruz’s guy? Who’s John Kasich’s guy?”

For first time, Miller detailed the effort Sessions has poured into this new role. “Jeff Sessions has been meeting for hours now putting together a team of foreign policy advisers, military experts, [and] intelligence experts,” Miller said. “I had a chance to speak to Sen. Sessions today and his military advisers for about half an hour before coming here and we discussed some robust foreign policy ideas.”

Miller informed viewers that Trump has “sat down with Senator Jeff Sessions and has spoken about these [foreign policy] issues at length.”
And yet we are to believe Sessions was taken aback by Franken's questions? And Sessions barely remembers meeting with the Russian ambassador? Helloo, sanctions, interference with the election, hacking, Ukraine invasion, Crimea take over, NATO-Russia issues, all the Trump-Russia connections, ...

It's not credible.
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:42 PM   #149
Strawberry
Master Poster

Sessions needs to resign before his presence starts to damage America's relations with her allies, if it isn't already.

To anybody in this thread who's defending Sessions - your excuses might fly in Trump's heartlands, they might even silence Democrats, but they won't fly among the intelligence services of the other Five Eyes countries. Get rid of him, before the Brits, Aussies, etc, start cutting your guys out of the loop.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:47 PM   #150
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

It depends on what Putin was after. If he wanted a puppet who would give Putin sweetheart deals,that is over. Any deal favorable to Russia is totally toxic ....it is the one area where Trump has gotten pretty widespread and consistent pushback from the GOP in Congress....and is DOA.
I think what's happening is exactly what Putin wanted: Ineffectual chaos. My reasoning is that Putin likely knows how the US government works better than our current moron-in-chief, meaning he knows any "sweetheart deals" would require congressional approval, which is more difficult to influence from the outside and requires spending lots of money...Putin and company consider Russian government money to be their personal piggy bank, and they'd be loathe to spend a lot of it on the US Congress. With the nutbars currently running the executive branch, Putin at least makes it more difficult for there to be any rapid intervention by the US when he decides to deploy his army to take over another neighboring state.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:48 PM   #151
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Sessions seemed "old man" confused. Not encouraging.
It is for people hoping to see more blood in the water (in a metphorical sense, I mean).

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:50 PM   #152
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Y'all, I apologize. i got so excited to do racism that i slipped up and did a dang perjury!
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:56 PM   #153
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Uh oh...

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 03:58 PM   #154
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
Are you going to post this nothingburger in every thread?
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 04:00 PM   #155
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
Just the ones with the highest likelihood of making Heil Trumpers squirm trying to make excuses for this too.

Last edited by A'isha; 2nd March 2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 2nd March 2017, 04:02 PM   #156
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
A lot of people in the GOP seem very worried about this Russian "nothingburger".
But we get that you think that Trump is God and Can Do No Wrong....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd March 2017, 04:03 PM   #157
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

BTW Sessions walked back some of his statements about Mary Jane in a private session with several senators..and yes, I don't think it is a coincidence that it happened at the same time the Russian meeting scandal broke...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd March 2017, 04:04 PM   #158
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Sessions needs to resign before his presence starts to damage America's relations with her allies, if it isn't already.

To anybody in this thread who's defending Sessions - your excuses might fly in Trump's heartlands, they might even silence Democrats, but they won't fly among the intelligence services of the other Five Eyes countries. Get rid of him, before the Brits, Aussies, etc, start cutting your guys out of the loop.
I'm pretty sure Sessions doesn't do much in the way of intelligence - he's mostly law enforcement. As for sharing intelligence, I'm sure they're more interested in Trump than Sessions.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2017, 04:04 PM   #159
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Best comment so far on another website.
"Jeff looked really upset. He needs to go home ,take a hit from a bong,and mellow out".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd March 2017, 04:10 PM   #160
jeffas69
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

Would you clarify what it is that you are talking about? How would Sessions presence in the Justice dept. affect the foreign intelligence relations with the Dept. of Defense? I would be much more concerned with our horrendous piping system in that area. The leaks are disgusting.
jeffas69 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics