ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Jeff Sessions , lying charges , Russia conspiracies , Trump administration , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections , US-Russia relations

Old 3rd March 2017, 09:10 PM   #321
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The sessions spokesperson called the discussion "short and informal". Your post is speculative on the subject matter, and why it was brought up. There are equally speculative reasons on why it wasn't.
Your posts suggest you are completely ignoring the news. But then, why should you watch it?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:20 PM   #322
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

And I'm saying there isn't enough to "investigate" if we mean warrants, wiretaps, requests to the NSA, etc.
We all understand that you support Trump and voted for him, therefore do not want any investigations that might bring out things that put him and his team in a bad light.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:21 PM   #323
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Your posts suggest you are completely ignoring the news. But then, why should you watch it?
I must be ignoring because I haven't seen anybody with knowledge of the conversation say that hacking was discussed.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:23 PM   #324
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
We all understand that you support Trump and voted for him, therefore do not want any investigations that might bring out things that put him and his team in a bad light.
?

I don't think you will find many posts where I supported one of his policies or as a human being.sunmaster can tell you all the times I called him a fake libertarian for backing Trump.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:44 PM   #325
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Have you heard something?
I wonder if there's a NAMBLA chapter in Moscow.
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:08 PM   #326
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I wonder if there's a NAMBLA chapter in Moscow.
Naw, it's the North American Man/Boy Love Association, so we are mostly in the US and Canada. Honestly, it isn't about discriminating by nationality though, it's more about how far I'm willing to drive.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 03:45 AM   #327
Parsman
Muse

From the outside looking in. It doesn't seem to be the meetings even that are the cause for concern. They may very well only have been discussing harmless things, although given the overall atmosphere during the election campaign that seems unlikely. However unless the conversations were recorded we will never know. What is a cause for concern is the automatic response of bad politicians (Democrat as well as Republican to be fair) to lie and prevaricate if they even think something will reflect badly on them. It is the same here in the UK with politicians of all parties. Unfortunately for all of them the truth will out and it just makes them look more shifty, more untrustworthy and therefore more likely to have to spend more time with their families.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 03:53 AM   #328
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
From the outside looking in. It doesn't seem to be the meetings even that are the cause for concern. They may very well only have been discussing harmless things, although given the overall atmosphere during the election campaign that seems unlikely. However unless the conversations were recorded we will never know. What is a cause for concern is the automatic response of bad politicians (Democrat as well as Republican to be fair) to lie and prevaricate if they even think something will reflect badly on them. It is the same here in the UK with politicians of all parties. Unfortunately for all of them the truth will out and it just makes them look more shifty, more untrustworthy and therefore more likely to have to spend more time with their families.
I agree, it's usually not the *thing* that does for politicians but rather the lying and cover-up relating to the *thing*.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 06:27 AM   #329
bobtaftfan
Critical Thinker

Another phony, invented "scandal" by sore-loser Democrats. He never spoke to any Russian rep as a member of the Trump campaign or about the campaign. As a long-time, influential member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, of course he spoke with ambassadors, their deputies, etc., rather frequently.

One of the so-called "meetings" was when the Russian came up and shook Sessions' hand after he gave a speech! That's a "meeting"?!
Old 4th March 2017, 06:34 AM   #330
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bobtaftfan View Post
Another phony, invented "scandal" by sore-loser Democrats. He never spoke to any Russian rep as a member of the Trump campaign or about the campaign. As a long-time, influential member of the Foreign Affairs Committee, of course he spoke with ambassadors, their deputies, etc., rather frequently.

One of the so-called "meetings" was when the Russian came up and shook Sessions' hand after he gave a speech! That's a "meeting"?!
I don't know. I think the politicians have done a good job honing in on the perjury aspect. The content of the meetings isn't at the core of their accusation.
Old 4th March 2017, 06:41 AM   #331
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Having Russian contacts is not such good evidence of treason. You do know, I suppose, that we are not at war with Russia?

Let me be explicit: the degree of involvement between Trump's camp and Russia during a campaign in which Russia attempted to influence the outcome using devious methods is very, very troubling. But some of these contacts were bugged by the intelligence services and there does not yet appear to be a smoking gun regarding collusion. Maybe it will come out, but it hasn't yet.

So, no, the fact that Trump's guys had contact with Russia is not good evidence of treason. Totally worth looking into, but not evidence of treason.
Not proof, perhaps, but certainly evidence. More than enough for me. And certainly enough that he should be removed from power until innocence can be shown. The integrity of our political process demands it.

Quote:
Explain that last line. Who has lost their lives while pursuing the Trump/Russia connection? Who, aside from political appointees, have lost their jobs? I'm not trying to be unfriendly here, but I've honestly no idea who you mean. Thanks.
At least 3 Russians have been arrested for treason by Putin who are supposed to be important sources for information about the Trump/Russian Connection

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/w...tion.html?_r=0

And several Russians with possible connections to various disclosures about Trump have turned up dead:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-donald-trump/

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/02/ru...n-their-place/

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...sador-45624185

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-diplomat.html

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...35625?cmpid=sf

Not smoking gun proof, but a very familiar and suspicious pattern/cluster.

And lets not forget Christopher Steele, now in hiding over his part in making public negative information about Trump.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38591382

Has he even been heard from since?

And yes, there has been confirmation of at least parts of the dossier's contents.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/10/politi...ossier-update/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38589427

Read that last link very very carefully. It's not just about Trump's alleged sexcapades, it's about major intelligence investigations involving Russian banks covertly transacting business to help Trump's campaign.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 06:47 AM   #332
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
At least we got that out in the open. Now all we need is a catchphrase equivalent to "Benghazi!"

I didn't like it when they did it to Hillary and I don't much like it now.
1) Tallking about Trump, not Hillary.

2) Unlike Benghazi, there is substantial evidence to support the claim of Trump's treasonous collusion with Russia. So much so that 16 intelligence and Law Enforcement agencies agreed it needed looking into.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 06:57 AM   #333
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...nvoy/98630456/
Old 4th March 2017, 07:00 AM   #334
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
None of those make the claim that sessions discussed the election with the Russians.
Old 4th March 2017, 07:07 AM   #335
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

You might be right, but you might be wrong. How about we see what we can learn about the two conversations?

I think it's entirely plausible that these two conversations were part of his duties as a senator. It's a little difficult to understand why he claimed to have never met with the Russians, but we might give him a few yards of the benefit of the doubt and think he meant as a Trump surrogate.

Let's wait and see what was talked about, if we can learn that. It's certainly not obvious that we can learn it, but it would be mighty interesting if so,
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 07:07 AM   #336
sunmaster14
Penultimate Amazing

?

I don't think you will find many posts where I supported one of his policies or as a human being.sunmaster can tell you all the times I called him a fake libertarian for backing Trump.
I can certainly attest to the fact that Bob is quite anti-Trump. Bob is one of those "principled" libertarians who is ecstatic that his candidate got 4% of the popular vote and hopes that by the day he dies a libertarian candidate might get as high as 5 or 6%.
sunmaster14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 07:39 AM   #337
Parsman
Muse

None of those make the claim that sessions discussed the election with the Russians.
And the question Sessions was asked in committee didn't ask if he had discussed the elections, just if he had any contact with Russian officials at all. He said clearly "No". We have the video tape showing this so why are you trying to run with Trump apologists on this matter?

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 07:43 AM   #338
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

And the question Sessions was asked in committee didn't ask if he had discussed the elections, just if he had any contact with Russian officials at all. He said clearly "No". We have the video tape showing this so why are you trying to run with Trump apologists on this matter?
Actually, no. The question never even asked if he had contacts, just what would he do if someone did. He volunteered that he didn't.
Old 4th March 2017, 07:44 AM   #339
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Because the conversation I am replying to are posts 329, 333, and 334. 329s main thrust is that he did not talk about the campaign. 333 only cited sources that did not accuse sessions of talking about the campaign. My post 334 pointed out that fact.

It is not an apology of anything but a critique on a misinterpreted post 329.
Old 4th March 2017, 09:21 AM   #340
paulhutch
Master Poster

He has never been a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee. He's been on Armed Services, Budget, Environment and Public Works & Judiciary.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 09:34 AM   #341
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's one thing to hedge about something politically incorrect. It's quite another when multiple top members in a campaign have ties and contact with a foreign government which hacked into the opponent's emails and was involved in interfering in the election. Denying any such contacts occurred or ties exist takes on a different meaning.

Keep in mind Trump has said on numerous occasions not one person in his campaign had contact with any Russians (several of said contacts cannot credibly be thought to have occurred without Trump knowing) and Trump denies any business or financial ties to Russia when many such ties have been uncovered.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 4th March 2017 at 09:35 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 09:36 AM   #342
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You might want to turn your filter off. You've missed a whole slew of details there.
Old 4th March 2017, 09:37 AM   #343
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
He has never been a member of the Foreign Affairs Committee. He's been on Armed Services, Budget, Environment and Public Works & Judiciary.
pffffffffffft. alternative facts
Old 4th March 2017, 09:42 AM   #344
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
Not proof, perhaps, but certainly evidence. More than enough for me. And certainly enough that he should be removed from power until innocence can be shown. The integrity of our political process demands it.

At least 3 Russians have been arrested for treason by Putin who are supposed to be important sources for information about the Trump/Russian Connection

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/27/w...tion.html?_r=0

And several Russians with possible connections to various disclosures about Trump have turned up dead:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...-donald-trump/

http://dailycaller.com/2017/03/02/ru...n-their-place/

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...sador-45624185

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-diplomat.html

Not smoking gun proof, but a very familiar and suspicious pattern/cluster.

And lets not forget Christopher Steele, now in hiding over his part in making public negative information about Trump.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38591382

Has he even been heard from since?

And yes, there has been confirmation of at least parts of the dossier's contents.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/10/politi...ossier-update/

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38589427

Read that last link very very carefully. It's not just about Trump's alleged sexcapades, it's about major intelligence investigations involving Russian banks covertly transacting business to help Trump's campaign.
Add to this Rachel Maddow's piece about the possible/probable involvement of Trump in helping the Russian oligarchs launder and hide their spoils.
Old 4th March 2017, 09:45 AM   #345
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Which is not necessary to prove the perjury charge. What is necessary is that Sessions' excuse for the mis-answered questions in his confirmation hearing doesn't fit the circumstances of the meetings.
Old 4th March 2017, 09:59 AM   #346
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Which is not necessary to prove the perjury charge. What is necessary is that Sessions' excuse for the mis-answered questions in his confirmation hearing doesn't fit the circumstances of the meetings.
Which is irrelevant to post 329 which is the basis for my comment.
Old 4th March 2017, 10:06 AM   #347
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It's not even that, and the news media is doing a poor job of parsing the Franken-Sessions exchange.

Franken asked,
Quote:
But if it's true, it's obviously extremely serious and if there is any evidence that anyone affiliated with the Trump campaign communicated with the Russian government in the course of this campaign, what will you do?
He did not ask, did you have any contact, he did not ask, do you know if anyone else had any contact. Sessions did not answer the question, what will he do if said information comes to light. Instead similar to a guilty person, he said
Quote:
Sessions: I'm not aware of any of those activities. I have been called a surrogate at a time or two in that campaign and I did not have communications with the Russians, and I'm unable to comment on it.
"I am unable to comment" makes no sense in light of the question which should have been answered by saying, if that comes to light he'd either recuse himself or properly investigate.

Instead Sessions denied contact, something later to be shown to be false. And again, his excuse that he meant not communicating about the campaign flies in the face of the current events at the time and location of the meeting with the ambassador.
Old 4th March 2017, 10:13 AM   #348
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Which is irrelevant to post 329 which is the basis for my comment.
Do you know how many times you've used that same excuse to avoid an honest discussion of the issue?
Old 4th March 2017, 10:15 AM   #349
logger
Banned

It's not even that, and the news media is doing a poor job of parsing the Franken-Sessions exchange.

Franken asked, He did not ask, did you have any contact, he did not ask, do you know if anyone else had any contact. Sessions did not answer the question, what will he do if said information comes to light. Instead similar to a guilty person, he said"I am unable to comment" makes no sense in light of the question which should have been answered by saying, if that comes to light he'd either recuse himself or properly investigate.

Instead Sessions denied contact, something later to be shown to be false. And again, his excuse that he meant not communicating about the campaign flies in the face of the current events at the time and location of the meeting with the ambassador.
Some of you have dishonestly said the campaign wasn't mentioned in idiot Frankens questioning. Here SG puts up the quote and there is is. He was clearly asked in the spirit of campaigning. Now do you see why it was perfectly reasonable to not mention his contacts with Russians for the business of governing. The desperate dishonesty of the left will never cease to amaze!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 10:17 AM   #350
logger
Banned

Do you know how many times you've used that same excuse to avoid an honest discussion of the issue?
At least he has the courage to have a discussion and not put people on ignore.

Last edited by logger; 4th March 2017 at 10:51 AM.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 10:25 AM   #351
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Post 329 was made not quoting any other post. The issue of post 329 is its own issue.
Old 4th March 2017, 10:44 AM   #352
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Some of you have dishonestly said the campaign wasn't mentioned in idiot Frankens questioning.[snip]
Quote them.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 10:54 AM   #353
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Quote them.
One post on this very page, see if you can find it.
Old 4th March 2017, 01:14 PM   #354
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

One post on this very page, see if you can find it.
I did a search on every post mentioning "campaign" and every post mentioning "Franken" on this page (post 321 on). I didn't see anyone saying that Franken's question didn't reference the campaign.

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 04:48 PM   #355
logger
Banned

Originally Posted by A'isha View Post
I did a search on every post mentioning "campaign" and every post mentioning "Franken" on this page (post 321 on). I didn't see anyone saying that Franken's question didn't reference the campaign.
That's because you can't follow simple conversation. Post 337

Meaning the referenced post mentions "elections" and infers that Frankens questions weren't about the campaign. I'm sure that was very difficult for you to figure out, I was happy to explain it to you.
Old 4th March 2017, 05:05 PM   #356
A'isha
Miss Schoolteacher

Your evidence for your claim that "some posters here have dishonestly said the campaign wasn't mentioned in idiot Franken's questioning" is a single post where the poster noted (completely accurately) that "the question Sessions was asked in committee didn't ask if he had discussed the elections" with the Russians?

"Does [A'isha] want to end up in a gas chamber, I wonder? Because this is where the whole thing will end" - McHrozni
A'isha is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 05:07 PM   #357
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

The Sessions story was dieing down ever since he recused himself.

Trump just blew everything up this morning.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2017, 05:16 PM   #358
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

Originally Posted by sunmaster14 View Post
I can certainly attest to the fact that Bob is quite anti-Trump. Bob is one of those "principled" libertarians who is ecstatic that his candidate got 4% of the popular vote and hopes that by the day he dies a libertarian candidate might get as high as 5 or 6%.
Principled beats unprincipled, in my book. Funny it is used in a derogatory fashion here.
Old 4th March 2017, 05:22 PM   #359
logger
Banned

Just to recap, it's perfectly reasonable to answer the Russian connection as it relates to the campaign. And clearly there is no proof Sessions talked to any Russians about the campaign. Thank you SG for putting up the relevant questions from that moron Sentor Franken.
Old 4th March 2017, 05:25 PM   #360
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

Just to recap, it's perfectly reasonable to answer the Russian connection as it relates to the campaign. And clearly there is no proof Sessions talked to any Russians about the campaign. Thank you SG for putting up the relevant questions from that moron Sentor Franken.
We need an investigation to look into all of this.

The people have a right to know.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics